PM Abhisit Denies Sticking To 9-Month House Dissolution

webfact

So, now its 9 months until the House is dissolved ...and then what ...another 12 months until elections are held? Or are they actually holding elections in 9-10 months?

From the last 2 truce talks, the PM offered to dissolved the house in 9 months; DEC 6, 2010 after the National Day, and the new election will be held on Jan 23, 2011. Red leaders didn't accept the offer. They demanded the house to be dissolved in 15 days (or by APRIL 10).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a question of what Abhisit wants or doesn't want it's a question of what his Military/Amataya masters tell him to do. General Anupong retires in September and according to articles in the other English Language daily Abhisit has been contacted by both Anupong and Prem and told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's selected man is installed as replacement, it's as easy as that.

In my opinion, I think you are a little too obsess with your quick accusation of Aphisit and the goverment. You make it look like Aphisit has no brain. Maybe he is not intelligent because he only graduated from Oxford. I don't see a problem if any leader listen to some of the advices from the army. I beleive all the leaders have to have supports from the ARMY and POLICE. We all have to live together and there is no need to keep attacking the army anymore.

I don't see a problem if any leader listen to some of the advices from the army.

The problems only start when the leader doesn't listen to some of the " advice " from the army.

We all have to live together and there is no need to keep attacking the army anymore.

Yep. Thai army bigwigs are always ready for a quick chorus of " We Are The World " :)

Lest some folks conveniently forget. A snap election was scheduled and held. Now we are told it is not possible. WHY?

Watch closely as we are told of Constitution manipulations to guarantee the present government can remain in office by newly created parlimentary maneuvers. Let's hope the people will be able to retain the right to choose their leaders with their votes and not be overidden by some parlimentary gimmick.

They didn't actually say it wasn't possible.

There have been plenty of reasons given as to why the government will not call a snap election. Abhisit was very clear about that during the televised 'negotiations'.

We must not have listened to the same negotiations. I believe the words were, It's not possible to hold an election in less that 9 months. One of the reasons is that we must change the Constitution to make procedures for a smooth election.

I hope you recorded the negotiations to help refresh your memory.

No great surprises here, he is just doing what his Army bosses have told him to 9 months gives them enough time to reshuffle and start spending the uncapped budget that this 'Government' has given them.

Do you really think that it would be that much different with Thaksin? Thaksin was trying to get his people at the head of the army. He would have made sure his people were looked after. Otherwise they wouldn't support him any more. Once Thaksin had his people at the top, HE could have control of them. That would have cemented his dictatorship.

The army are too powerful in Thailand and too involved in the politics of the country. That has been the case for 80 years, and probably for centuries before that. It's not going to change overnight. It's not going to change if Thaksin is in power. They would just be doing what he wants.

Thaksin isn't the answer. He is the problem. Without Thaksin the country would move forward.

The power of the army can not be changed overnight. It can be changed through the education of the people (all Thais, not just the farmers) about democracy. It can be changed by getting rid of the corruption at ALL levels of Thai society.

The poor farmers are protesting for a better deal, and think that Thaksin is the answer. They need to look in their own backyards first, and look at the corruption in their villages and the corruption by the RICH LOCALS. It's not the 'elite' in Bangkok that is their problem. It's the 'elite' in their villages that have been exploiting them for far too long.

Lest some folks conveniently forget. A snap election was scheduled and held. Now we are told it is not possible. WHY?

Watch closely as we are told of Constitution manipulations to guarantee the present government can remain in office by newly created parlimentary maneuvers. Let's hope the people will be able to retain the right to choose their leaders with their votes and not be overidden by some parlimentary gimmick.

LOL !!

Talk about a selective memory! A snap election was called when Thaksin was attempting to whitewash his Temasak deal and to try and save TRT from dissolution. That election was the proximal cause (unless it was the Temasek deal) of ALL the current issues! Thaksin had the majority of parliament and called unneeded early elections. HUGE mistake that has cost the country untold billions of dollars. Those snap elections did also provide the nail in the coffin for TRT.

The current government is talking about a NATIONAL REFERENDUM on the charter reform. You certainly can't be upset about letting people VOTE for constitutional changes can you?

Kudos on not trying the 'no confidence' spin again though!

I think most people would be happy if an internationally supervised National referendum is held where the vote of all Thai citizens is counted and not overturned and my last sentence stated this.

I assume from your comment concerning the National Referendum that you agree with me that the reason for a delay of 9 months is allow changing the Constitution and this was stated in the negotiations. If not why hold an election right away?

When will Thailand politics rid itself from the military influence. They are just another civil servants and should never be a factor like so many countries.

They will get rid of it when a few more people understand democracy and when they start doing something more about corruption.

Anotherpeter, there is no corruption in Thailand, unfortunately it is a way of life and will never be stamped out.

One of the reasons is that the wages are so low here that people will take any opportunity to make a better life

for themselves. The people that are already rich, are greedy and just want to become richer by any means available.

If these people get caught the penalties are very light, basically just a slap on the wrist.

If you're not being sarcastic you are describing Thaksin's ultimate system.

Abisits problem is that he has no mandate from the people, only from the Military Junta elite.

He knows this, he has lived in legitimate democracies, he knows how they work, he knows he is illegitimate.

And thats what will be eating him up inside.

Installed-No mandate from the people.