Another New Restaurant Find

kating

Le Terrasse....(sp) is an newish restaurant find. I have been there twice and very impressed by food, price and service. It is small, hard to find on Loi Kroh Rd, (between Marcos and the temple on that side of the street - heading away from the Moat.

It is French, with a delightful French chef with an excellent kitchen staff. Cosy, set in off the street down a lane (not a soi), found it by accident and glad I did. Have had tarragon chicken, an amazingly good ratatouie, good seafood and a to die for Nougat ice cream thing.....wow. Watched the next table eat a delicious looking Beef Bourguignon.

No I do not own or have anything to do with it. It has only been open for 2 months so it is easy to get a table. You could say it is similar to marcos but friendlier and easier to get a table and nicer desserts. Can not really descibe the location any better, you just have to walk past Marcos and look down the lanes for a sign. It is also next to a French bar.

good luck.

I've heard good reports of this place too. Its on the side soi off Loi Kroh that used to house another French restaurnat called L'Elephant Blanc. I haven't taken Mrs Millwall_fan there yet, but I've heard good feedback from my customers!

Friendlier than Marco's? How could that be? Marco is really outgoing and so is his staff and the food is not only supurb, but also quite inexpensive for what you get. Someone that I brought there called it "a French/Italian version of the Duke's" which translates as value for money in my book.

Friendlier than Marco's? How could that be? Marco is really outgoing and so is his staff and the food is not only supurb, but also quite inexpensive for what you get. Someone that I brought there called it "a French/Italian version of the Duke's" which translates as value for money in my book.

I have visited Marco's a number of times and my last visit was a bit of a disappointment. The staff was not attentive and the food was less good than it used to be (dishes that I ordered several times before in the past).

Seems to me that the expansion of Marco's might have led to a drop in standards (not uncommon for successful restaurants when they expand). Hope they just had an off-day though, they used to be very good. Keeping up standards is not easy.

I have visited Marco's a number of times and my last visit was a bit of a disappointment. The staff was not attentive and the food was less good than it used to be (dishes that I ordered several times before in the past).

Seems to me that the expansion of Marco's might have led to a drop in standards (not uncommon for successful restaurants when they expand). Hope they just had an off-day though, they used to be very good. Keeping up standards is not easy.

Different strokes for different folks - I have never been disappointed with Marco's and I think the food is consistently good and the prices very reasonable. I would rate it as one of the better value for money restaurants in Chiang Mai. :)

The restaurant mentioned by the OP certainly sounds like it's worth a try.

Sounds OK

Are you the Boss?

:D

A glowing recommendation indeed. Looks like a spammer at work to me!!

Did you both actually read the OP's post?

"No I do not own or have anything to do with it."

Give the member a break- just trying to offer a helpful tip, near as I can tell. :)

Hi

Yes I was just trying to offer a recommendation as I often try out the different places people suggest on here. So as this one has not been mentioned I thought I would share a good find.

I have been put off doing so because many people seem to get attacked on here just for commenting or suggesting something. Even the thought that my view is not worth anything just because I am a newbie is fairly insulting. :)

I am just wanting to share information.

Kating

I have walked up and down Loi Kroh a number of times and looked for this restaurant, and have been unable to find it. Is there a landmark where one should lookout for? I asked a few of the other merchants around there and none of them could tell me where it is.

It is not on the main street. It is in a small section with a number of shophouses on the left side near a temple(if you are going toward McDonalds from Moon Muang road). You can see it if you look down the small alley that runs right into the front of it and there is a sign on Loi Kroh road.

kating,

(GM - off topic, but perhaps worthwhile)

Please accept that I meant to imply no insult in suggesting that a "Newbie's" opinion should be confirmed. In fact, I hoped to "second the motion" to check out the place, as I am presently out of town but keep a list of fresh places to try (which you could not have known, of course).

Perhaps you agree with my thought that it doesn't matter if it is a mechanic, a plumber, or a restaurant being recommended: Sincere opinions from unknown sources feel less certain than those from folks we have followed in their views for a longer time. In the case of food, the matter is more complicated because of the matter of taste; I like greasy sausages swimming in fat and might LOVE a restaurant for it, what with its fries to match and cheap beer - you don't know me, but take my advice and are disappointed.

Sincere apolo's

PS, Actually, my doc says I love fruit, vegetables, chicken and fish. Rice, root vegetables, and noodles too, if prepared correctly - fat free.

Even the thought that my view is not worth anything just because I am a newbie is fairly insulting.

Sorry, no one has anything against legitimate "newbies", but if you have been on the forum a while, you start to notice that an inordinate number of new posters have some kind of agenda that is not helpful to other members. They usually post a few times and vanish.

Some want to hurt a competitors business with imaginary complaints. Some want to promote their own business with what seems like an innocent recommendation by a made up customer. Some sign up under numerous nicknames to sway a poll in the direction that they want it to go.

Unfortunately, it becomes easy to be suspicious when someone first appears on the forum. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I found La Terrasse this evening. I parked at the temple just off of Loi Kroh Road (59/5 LOI KROI ROAD), and walked on to Loi Kroh and walked towards the moat--the restaurant is in a little soi just after the wall of the temple on the north side of the street. The food is terrific, service was impeccable, portions were hearty, and prices very reasonable. The owner even makes his own bread which I could not stop eating. The desserts are to die for!

I will go back again and try other items that are from the regular menu. Daily specials, BTW, run around 200 baht--which my guest and I had this evening.

I would like to thank the OP for letting us know about this new find. I would take his advice on finding any other great eating establishments.

Even the thought that my view is not worth anything just because I am a newbie is fairly insulting.

Sorry, no one has anything against legitimate "newbies", but if you have been on the forum a while, you start to notice that an inordinate number of new posters have some kind of agenda that is not helpful to other members. They usually post a few times and vanish.

Some want to hurt a competitors business with imaginary complaints. Some want to promote their own business with what seems like an innocent recommendation by a made up customer. Some sign up under numerous nicknames to sway a poll in the direction that they want it to go.

Unfortunately, it becomes easy to be suspicious when someone first appears on the forum. :)

Well Said UG

:D

La Terrasse is a gem of a place. Good food and service - well worth a visit.

As an independent food and wine lover, I happily endorse this restaurant.

Don't worry about the older Posters - some of them have been here far too long.

p.s. even though your post did look like a bit of a plug to some, I took it as enthusiasm... :) ..

Yeah, kating, great recommendation, and thank you for your helpful and informative post.

And as for the old guy club- shame on you for your paranoia, and assuming anyone who is a newb doesn't know what they're talking about.

:)

GM

Certainly we should treat all newbs with the same courtesy that we always see here on TV, so that in the ripening that comes with time, we can benefit from their wisdom. No. I say even more courtesy. I know that I was wrong to suggest that confirmation would be good thing - I could more easily have waited for these confirming reports to roll in and have apologized.

However, I think your advice might be a bit misleading and even a tad unfair to whatever the old guy club involves.

EVERYBODY assumes that newbs know what they're talking about. It's where they're coming from that we take with a grain of salt, if we're not so old that we're forced to live salt-free.

Talking about promoting a business under the guise of a legitimate post seems like the pot calling the kettle black, UG. It reminds me of your recent post promoting a well-known magazine. Personally, I rather like the magazine in question, but your post was rather a blatant advert.

I read the OP's post.

It seemed like a very well written review of a new restaurant that he/she had discovered.

No hyperbole, or florid prose.

And the OP clearly stated that they were in no way affiliated with the business.

So what do we get, then.

2 posters immediately accuse him of spamming. Apparently neither of the 2 actually read completely the OP's post.

Then we got the "defenders of my pal's resto" to chime in and discuss another French restaurant on the same street. Probably they'll get a free creme brulee for their valiant defense.

Then we question the veracity of someone, because they are a newb, and they only have XX posts. Even though the questioners were once obviously newbs, at one time, with minus XX posts.

Hi, old guys, medium guys, newbies, lurkers, ect....

As the OP I would like to thank the old guys....(?) for reflecting and apologizing as stated. It makes me more willing to post knowing that I will not necessarily get attacked /criticized for my point of view. Maybe others will also see this and be more inclined to contribute too.

I would like to clarify that I like Marcos and felt that in no way I criticized the restaurant. Looking back on my post, the point that someone picked up on was that I said the new restaurant was "friendlier" than Marcos it was not to say that Marcos was UN- friendly, just that I found La Terrasse "more" friendly. So if it was on a scale. Marcos would be a 7 and La Terrasse a 9.

Thanks,

tried a new curry place today but that is another story

It reminds me of your recent post promoting a well-known magazine. Personally, I rather like the magazine in question, but your post was rather a blatant advert.

Chalk and cheese. That is pretty much what recommendations are all about.

I do not own the magazine or have any financial interest in it other than as a happy, loyal customer. I also "promote" the Duke's, Marco's, W for Wanlaman and other businesses that improve our lives in Chiang Mai. They deserve praise and in the current economic climate they could all use a mention now and then.

Edited by Ulysses G.

......now that all that has been settled (?) ..... what about the food at this new place, haven't had a chance to try it yet but I would like to know more, what type ,region of French, style, cafe bistro or high falutin etc. what are the specialties of the house?

It reminds me of your recent post promoting a well-known magazine. Personally, I rather like the magazine in question, but your post was rather a blatant advert.

Chalk and cheese. That is pretty much what recommendations are all about.

I do not own the magazine or have any financial interest in it other than as a happy, loyal customer. I also "promote" the Duke's, Marco's, W for Wanlaman and other businesses that improve our lives in Chiang Mai. They deserve praise and in the current economic climate they could all use a mention now and then.

Not chalk and cheese at all, but apples and apples. Somehow you seem to be overlooking the fact that the current issue of the magazine in question contains a very favourable story about your very own business. Your blatant promotion of the magazine at this particular time could not possibly be seen as unbiased---you were trying to get people to read an issue with a favourable story towards you. That is self promotion under the guise of a legitimate post---just what you suggest newbies do.