Celebrating Easter?

cib

As a non-pratiquant catholic, I don't go very often to church (let say, twice a year), but I would like to celebrate at least Easter.

Does somebody know where and when the mass will take place tomorrow?

Thanks a lot

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a 'mass'? Is it like a knees-up with music and dancing etc? Never been to one or heard the term before, but with the mention of Easter, i would imagine it might be a religious type occasion?

There are just too many definitions for it on Goolge to know for sure, with the most prominent explanation being some kind of musical festival.

Cheers

Aitch

Cathedral of the Sacred Heart?

SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL (CATHOLIC) 225 Jarernprathet Rd., Tel.274146, 271859. Sats / 19.30 pm.; Suns / 06.30 / 08.30 / 17.30 Hrs.

SEVEN FOUNTAINS CATHOLIC CHAPEL 97 Huaykaew Rd., Tel. 211076. Suns 9.30am English service.

Cant find english version

dam_n good website design

http://www.cmdiocese.org/th/c-news/dailyne...-03-22-14-22-21

You catholics and Protties don't know what you are missing, Orthodox Easter is the best... in fact I think maybe you nicked the easter egg idea from us...

Easter is sooo much fun, or was.... so much food! A much bigger deal than Xmas.

800px-Kurskaya_korennaya.jpg

Easter Procession in the Region of Kursk. Oil on canvas. 175 × 280 cm. The State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow

Edited by whiterussian

A mass is a church service :D

Thanks for your answer. I saw somewhere that there is a service in english at the cathedral at 11am but I wasn't sure...

The egg stuff is a strong symbol in so many religions that I really don't thing anyone stole it :)

I live just next to 7 Fountains on Huay Kaew Road.

Of course they will celebrate Easter Mass tomorrow.

Being Anglican, I won't be there. But I have met the priest of this church a few times.

He is Spanish, Padre Miguel. Seems like an OK guy.

Good luck in your quest, and Happy Easter to you, cib!

It is Easter.

My Mom gave up religion a few years ago, after 80 some years.

I think she lost a few dear friends, and she just got fed up with the whole injustice of it all (meaning the good die, and the evil run the hedge funds).

Just to be a contrarian, maybe I'll go to Mass tomorrow. Just to piss off Mom.

I know that as a non-Catholic, I have to sit in the Limbo section. I've been through this before at weddings, funerals, etc.

maybe the egg is a symbol of the bombs that fell on hiroshima and nagasaki.

Check "reality asylum" by Crass on you YOU tube. Nice little ditty.

Happy Wester

Cheeky!

Rituals and Traditions

Modern astronomy aside, people have recognized the vernal equinox for thousands of years. There is no shortage of rituals and traditions surrounding the coming of spring. Many early peoples celebrated for the basic reason that their food supplies would soon be restored. The date is significant in Christianity because Easter always falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox. It is also probably no coincidence that early Egyptians built the Great Sphinx so that it points directly toward the rising Sun on the day of the vernal equinox.

Happy Easter cerbera! "Christ is Risen!" as they say in Russia

(or simply "Spring has come!" - or indeed "Happy first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox"... if you are an atheist!)

Here is a cake for you. I will stick with the vodka and caviar! (if i had any)

foar03_scientist.jpg

What moon phase is Songkran on?

oh.. here we go that was easy:

The Origins of the Songkran Festival

The Astrological New Year

and the Thai Lunar Calender

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/origins_of_songkran.html

The term Songkran itself means, ''a move or change in the position of the sun from Aries to Taurus,'' it falls sometime between April 10 and April 18 and in Thai tradition it includes the celebration of the end of one year -- 'Troot' -- and the beginning of a new year - 'Songkran'. The phases of the moon and the lunar calendar also play an important role in determining the Thai New Year. Thus, the Thai New Year is a product of astrological as well as lunar features according, to the old Thai lunar calendar...

Happy 'Troot' to you all.

Bring on the RAIN!

Edited by whiterussian

Ever wondered what the connection is between easter,chocolate bunnies.eggs and hot cross buns? google Eostre.

The anglo saxons believed she was a goodess who at night time turned into a hare (bunnies) and she layed eggs (easter eggs) the eggs being that of the skylark who lay thier eggs on the ground in a depression very simular to a hares form- form being the word used for a hares nest!

and the buns? well that will teach her for going to a barbecue and not looking where she was leaning :) .

It is Easter.

I think she lost a few dear friends, and she just got fed up with the whole injustice of it all (meaning the good die, and the evil run the hedge funds).

I know that as a non-Catholic, I have to sit in the Limbo section. I've been through this before at weddings, funerals, etc.

The catholic chuch has now said that "limbo" never existed. Nice for all the catholic familys that were tortured with the thought for centuries. They also admit quite a few other things were complete fabrications and they dont deny the endemic child abuse.

Nice religion.

You go to church.....Personally, Id like to see them all razed to the ground.

Edited by cerbera

No worries, cerbera.

I was baptized Episcopalian.

Went to church till I was about 13.

My mom gave me the option to continue or not...and I voted no.

However, I occasionally celebrate major religious ceremonies in places of worship.

Been in mosques cathedrals humble little fellowship churches.

I see it as an opportunity to commune with fellow humans, even though I might not share their specific beliefs.

Really nothing wrong with it. They believe, I don't. If they accept my presence, great. If not...oh well.

It is Easter.

The catholic chuch has now said that "limbo" never existed. Nice for all the catholic familys that were tortured with the thought for centuries. They also admit quite a few other things were complete fabrications and they dont deny the endemic child abuse.

Nice religion.

nice idea! in fact while were at lets raise all the places of worship to the ground wouldnt the world be much nicer place without religion?

Religion is fine -it's just some of the followers that give it a bad name! Along with millions of others around the globe, I will be celebrating Easter Sunday at 11am in the Sacred Heart Cathedral on Charoen Prathet Rd. It may be Fr Miguel the Spanish priest, or Fr David the English priest or Fr John the American priest, or a new celebant whose name escapes me but who is French and celebrates mass in an accent akin to inspector Clouseau. It will be a joyous occasion whichever priest does it, there's a lovely Filipina choir and everything is conducted with Jesuit efficiency!

After seeing all the evil in this world perpetrated on others in the name of religion (pick one), I've given up on all religions. I'm not saying that all people with deep religious beliefs are bad, because the majority are good people, but I just don't like the hypocrisy of the various churches. And, the Catholic churches are one of the worst.

Actually, it is not really about religion...I just feel a little homesick and I need some traditions like that, to be a bit less "disconnected" from the life back home :)

Happy Easter!

After seeing all the evil in this world perpetrated on others in the name of religion (pick one), I've given up on all religions. I'm not saying that all people with deep religious beliefs are bad, because the majority are good people, but I just don't like the hypocrisy of the various churches. And, the Catholic churches are one of the worst.
s exactly.

My sentiments exactly, I was born and raised a Catholic, but now I don't believe in any religions. Paraphrasing Richard Dawkins, author of the God Conspiracy, "Without religions good men would do good deeds and evil men would do evil deeds. With religion evil men still do evil things but sometimes good men do evil things too"

The bare bones of Christianity, Islam and all the main religions is the message of humanism, love and respect for humanity and human dignity, treating others how we wish to be treated etc.

You can strive to do these things without the man made rules and regulations of some dodgy religion. If it turns out there is something after life, surely there is a place at the table for a good humanist before a murdering moslem or a paedophile priest.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a 'mass'?

:)

Here is a cake for you.

foar03_scientist.jpg

Looks more like a brain or a bunch of purple worms glued together.

Reckon more people than ever are starting to think like that. All a bit of a time-waste what what.

Fine for people to go worship what they want, but would like to see it not rammed down people's throats or pushed on kids in school; ie, substitute religious education for something that will help move the world forward like economics, business studies, science.

Looks more like a brain or a bunch of purple worms glued together.

Fine for people to go worship what they want, but would like to see it not rammed down people's throats or pushed on kids in school; ie, substitute religious education for something that will help move the world forward like economics, business studies, science.

Trouble is, when and where do you instil morals?

I cant help thinking a society that is purely scientific, or 'rational' with no room for ethics past whats needed to get the work done is a society in danger of becoming overly materialistic... and by that I mean the craving to accumulate wealth beyond what is needed for a 'happy' life.

A society that tries to control this craving by force (or science/logic) seems to end up in trouble... depending on who is measuring the rights of the individual to progress.

Anyway, waffle waffle.

All I know is that having seen the tremendous benefit the locals here in Thailand get from the Wat.. I feel that it is a necessary part of society. Maybe how the west was before Christianity hit the rocks.

Personally I have a mantra I say before sleep, its almost a Pavlovian reaction now... sends my mind into a state ready for zzzz...

It is about 5 religious prayers mixed into one...Christian,Bhuddist, Islamic all of them fairly decent 'affirmations' or positive thoughts...

From a scientific point of view, by this self hypnosis, i guess i am reinforcing some good attitudes...

to paraphrase:

forgive me for being a bit of a bastard, as I should forgive people who are bastards to me, cos it just aint worth carrying that baggage around! amen... zzzzzz snooore...

Edited by whiterussian

Murdering moslems, paedophile priests, aggressive Jews and corrupt Buddhists are a minority. The trouble is that whilst God may be at the head of religions, human beings run them - that's the flaw in the system! If we all took more time out to contemplate what God wants of us, we might follow our religions rather better than we do. Most followers of the worlds religions (and that's the vast majority of people on this planet) are looking for a set of precepts by which to best organise their lives (me included) and hope for either salvation or a better reincarnation in return for doing so. The world runs well when most humans beings seek this. I respect those who do not believe, but all I can say is that without such belief my life would not have the same degree of meaning as it does!

I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure!

Trouble is, when and where do you instil morals?

I cant help thinking a society that is purely scientific, or 'rational' with no room for ethics past whats needed to get the work done is a society in danger of becoming overly materialistic... and by that I mean the craving to accumulate wealth beyond what is needed for a 'happy' life.

Virtues should be instilled by parents and teachers as opposed to the typical brainwashing that certain institutions attempt to get you on. Specifically, I'm talking about schools wasting a student's time, as with myself (for several years), harping on about some made-up story which was (generally) fabricated long before some guy was supposedly put on a cross, when I could be learning something useful, like the rights and wrongs in real life. It's 2010; surely time for all this to be dropped in favour of focus on the planet as opposed to the self.