Surin Farrang Connection

ray23

I know all of the old pissed guys, but I don't know any that have just split from a 20 year old bar girl from Pattaya. Maybe they are some new faces in town.

Which other bar did you go too, The Sportsmans or Ivan's the Nordic bar?

John.....

Went there twice last year and will not go again, found it to be the most depressing place to go. Staff were rude and customers were all old pi**ed guys that had split from their 20 yo bar girl from Pattaya. Much better place just accros the road, and cheaper too.

Only been there once about three years ago and ended up walking across the road to the Norwegian place.

I don't know if the place is/was good or bad it just wasn't my cup of tea.

The Surin 'Jungle drums' / Word on the street is :- some guy recently (might well be someone else BTW) complained about a badly burnt Pizza, so Sunnee (Martins Widow)gave it to the guy free. He then asked for it to be placed in a take-out bag :) , which was done for him and his Thai wife was so embarrassed by this, she paid for it behind the farangs back.

This might be an unrelated insident but thought it might be worth sharing :D

Edited by Dave the Dude

[quote name='ESB7' date='2010-04-05 14:06:26' post='3473395'

Went there twice last year and will not go again, found it to be the most depressing place to go. Staff were rude and customers were all old pi**ed guys that had split from their 20 yo bar girl from Pattaya. Much better place just accros the ii3333road, and cheaper too.

:D:D Very intelligent comment. We need more posters like you to tell stories like this, it sure does make one shake ones head in wonder. Fancy these falang getting pissed ina bar of all places. What reprehensible behaviour this is. We must report it at once to the authorities.

Names and photos will be taken immediately and the offending parties will be locked up in the monkey house never to see the light of day again! :D

Thank God and Buddha for eagle eyed diligent people such as yourself for bringing this to everyones attention!

As for the 20 year old divorced bar girls can you please investigate further and report back as to their whereabouts so I can offer them my sincere condolences. No offence intended by the way. Just having a bit of fun! :):D

People like places and people don't like places.

I think let this story go. Move on everyone.

And for us who knew Martin and enjoyed visiting - let's keep the good memories!!

A good example is at The Retreat Wine Bar in a very remote back street in Cheltenham. UK

Mike Dey is the soul of the place, always there, and has been for 28 years.......

I walked past The Retreat the other day on my way to The Beehive... I used to drink regularly in The Retreat back in my early 20's.. it was hugely popular then, and still going strong now so I believe.

I hope the FC was just 'having a bad day'.. it's hard to imagine going to Surin and not sitting enjoying beers (and food) there with the regulars.

Totster :)

I believe every Farang restaurant owner in & around Surin is giving good service and good quality food too.

Dude,

My statement about the sh@t that is served by some restaurants is not aimed at Surin or SFC, it is a general fact. We don't use 7 elevens and we eat out at decent places every day as the guys who know us and agree with us will verify. Ill leave the 7 elevens to yourself as you appear to have first class knowledge of them.

Good Eating.

I believe every Farang restaurant owner in & around Surin is giving good service and good quality food too.

Dude,

My statement about the sh@t that is served by some restaurants is not aimed at Surin or SFC, it is a general fact. We don't use 7 elevens and we eat out at decent places every day as the guys who know us and agree with us will verify. Ill leave the 7 elevens to yourself as you appear to have first class knowledge of them.

Good Eating.

Hi Wee Jimmy

I cannot see anywhere in my previous posts where I have even mentioned 7/11 or been rude to YOU about the standard of your eating habits. Can you just post here what I have missed then I will be pleased to publicly apologise to you. :)

Secondly, I would like to apologize to everyone for keeping this ON TOPIC as the title suggests its about Surin/Farang Connection.

NEXT :D

Dude,

Good Eating.

Hi Wee Jimmy

I cannot see anywhere in my previous posts where I have even mentioned 7/11 or been rude to YOU about the standard of your eating habits. Can you just post here what I have missed then I will be pleased to publicly apologise to you. :)

Secondly, I would like to apologize to everyone for keeping this ON TOPIC as the title suggests its about Surin/Farang Connection.

NEXT :D

Agreed, We leave it now.

Wee Jimmy.

The place reminds me quite a lot of the Bamboo bar in Buriram. It does palatable food, even some good things and perhaps the best of certain types amongst its immediate competitors. It appeared to be, as the Bamboo bar was, a focal point with a convenient location where newcomers could meet up and locals could pass time together. I think a lot of people appreciated that.

After being introduced by Dave from here, I popped in when over from Buriram and would have a drink and perhaps something to eat. Nothing much to complain about on either score.

After Martin's passing, my advice to those holding the reins would be to sell as quickly as possible because Martin was a large part of the FC and without him, some of the glue holding it together has gone and what he spent so long building up will most likely unravel in pretty quick time, if for no other reason than the fact that people can no longer go to see Mountain himself.

Names and photos will be taken immediately and the offending parties will be locked up in the monkey house never to see the light of day again! :)

Yorky stands up to be counted!

And promptly fell back down into a crumpled, beer sodden heap, again....... :D

John.....

People like places and people don't like places.

I think let this story go. Move on everyone.

And for us who knew Martin and enjoyed visiting - let's keep the good memories!!

I JUST SAY RIP MARTIN, Surin want be the same :)

CO Chaiyaphum

The place reminds me quite a lot of the Bamboo bar in Buriram. It does palatable food, even some good things and perhaps the best of certain types amongst its immediate competitors. It appeared to be, as the Bamboo bar was, a focal point with a convenient location where newcomers could meet up and locals could pass time together. I think a lot of people appreciated that.

After being introduced by Dave from here, I popped in when over from Buriram and would have a drink and perhaps something to eat. Nothing much to complain about on either score.

After Martin's passing, my advice to those holding the reins would be to sell as quickly as possible because Martin was a large part of the FC and without him, some of the glue holding it together has gone and what he spent so long building up will most likely unravel in pretty quick time, if for no other reason than the fact that people can no longer go to see Mountain himself.

So how would a visitor know which menu items are krap & which are the best in town?

The OP said he drove a long way to try the food & the manager could not give a toss.

Time for some Darwinian selection.

So how would a visitor know which menu items are krap & which are the best in town?

The OP said he drove a long way to try the food & the manager could not give a toss.

I think I can say without contradiction that the best food (non Thai) in town is at the White Elephant Resort Italiano Restaurant. Unfortunately it's not the cheapest food in town so with the current economic climate and exchange rates, covers are minimal and the owner is considering closing (if he hasn't already).

Oh well, it was good whilst it lasted.

Cheers

Y

So how did the OP find out about it and not know the owner was dead ? Half arsed research is worse than non at all.

I have never lived anywhere so bad that I would have to drive to the FC for food. It was ok stuff which was edible and may have been good for Surin. I don't know, I don't live in Surin. When I first ate there I was underwhelmed but it had been bid up as better than it was. It was ok. I had intended to take some back to Buriram with me but I didn't bother. It wasn't that good.

I took the place as a meeting point, a focus, developed as such by Martin on those grounds, nothing more, nothing less. Some may call it a cafe next to what passes for a bus station.

As to the service, my experience wasn't of overly attentive staff but are Thais really in that environment ? I don't think a Thai can run such a business as they just don't get it. They just don't understand, or there would be no need for westerners to open businesses in Thailand. My suggestion was to sell ASAP while it still has some goodwill as I think that will quickly erode and then it will really be just another Thai hole in the wall worth nothing.

I believe he already has Geoff. Shame really, it was a lovely place.

John.....

Restaurant/Hotel or both???

Think we better be clear on that :)

Yes indeed we should be clear on that. The hotel and as I understand it the bar will still be open. I shall certainly miss Rudi's food.

So how did the OP find out about it and not know the owner was dead ? Half arsed research is worse than non at all.

I have never lived anywhere so bad that I would have to drive to the FC for food. It was ok stuff which was edible and may have been good for Surin. I don't know, I don't live in Surin. When I first ate there I was underwhelmed but it had been bid up as better than it was. It was ok. I had intended to take some back to Buriram with me but I didn't bother. It wasn't that good.

I took the place as a meeting point, a focus, developed as such by Martin on those grounds, nothing more, nothing less. Some may call it a cafe next to what passes for a bus station.

As to the service, my experience wasn't of overly attentive staff but are Thais really in that environment ? I don't think a Thai can run such a business as they just don't get it. They just don't understand, or there would be no need for westerners to open businesses in Thailand. My suggestion was to sell ASAP while it still has some goodwill as I think that will quickly erode and then it will really be just another Thai hole in the wall worth nothing.

Your kidding right it's been in the Issan section for years. No I didn't read everything posted about it. Actually I missed it during the last Elephant Festival the friend I was riding with didn't want to go a he thought it was expensive, so the special trip later. Sad I might have met Martin.

It was what it was. and I'm sure Martin worked hard. I still go to the same places I did nine years ago in Udon because of the people who operate them. We have a huge selection in Udon. But, friends are friends I imagine that was what I was like when Martin was there and I probably would have had a very different experience. The fact is going there for that reason to meet Martin and enjoy a meal says a lot about his reputation. Don't worry my research. I'm not a tourist. My research or lack of it didn't change the food I ate that night.

Someone hit the nail on the head if there are no enough locals to support it based on the memories of what it once was time to get out of dodge. I was left with the impression the lady was getting rid of old stock, so maybe she will get a well earned rest soon.

I thought this would have died it's rightful death long ago.

It was and is. :)

Gotlost

This might sound like I'm jumping here a bit, but I act in the same way as Chaimai when dealing with my good friend Martin.

When alive, he would take the p!ss in a true English fashion and that upset some types. Most people who REALLY knew him, were the ones who were the most abusive to him and he took as good as he got. My last words to him when he was lying in bed with a patch over one eye was....

You cannot hide from your customers that easy, Captain Pugwash

Was I being rude, I think not so Like it or not (with respect), I will continue to take the p!ss out of the old bugger and although I don't believe in the afterlife, I think he would be having a laugh at us all now.

Right on dave. When I visited Surin and rolled up to see Martin he would yell at me..."here's that bloody Aussie bast**d!" And me retort would be " Up your r's you fat Pommie git" Great fun!!! Missed.