Old Windows 98se Computer

melus

Just thought I'd post a quick question here before making the journey to the computer shop. I have a not-so-old Windows 98SE machine which, when I turn it on, just beeps at me - and I get nothing on the monitor except a message that tells me it's in some kind of power saving mode. Is this some an omen, some kind of code, or what? Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Just thought I'd post a quick question here before making the journey to the computer shop. I have a not-so-old Windows 98SE machine which, when I turn it on, just beeps at me - and I get nothing on the monitor except a message that tells me it's in some kind of power saving mode. Is this some an omen, some kind of code, or what? Any ideas out there? Thanks.

The beeps are the POST (Power On Self Test) codes. You need to say what machine you have, as the beeps are different for different manufacturers of the BIOS.

This Google search result gives links to lots of articles on the codes:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&...ode&btnG=Search

It has been a long time since I have thought about Win98- but RDN is on the right track. Something is happening in your BIOS routine.

BIOS stands for basic input output system. This is the very core software that starts your computer and boots up your disk / windows and is embedded in a chip on your motherboard. Like RDN said- there are many BIOS manufacturers, but most behave in a similar fashion.

A single beep is usually good- passed the POST. The power saver message you are seeing might be the first step of the BIOS trying to run. If I remember correctly many BIOS's have a yellow "Energy Star" logo on the opening page. Does this sound like what you are seeing?

The next step for the BIOS would be to check your RAM. You would see it counting out every byte in your computer- IE if you have 64 K, it would count to 65556 or thereabouts. Are you seeing this?

After doing this the BIOS would switch to another screen with a "box" full of computer specifications, and an attempt to boot from C,D or A drives. But- it doesn't sound like you are getting here.

You could have a faulty BIOS, RAM problem, etc. It sounds as if this computer has been sitting for a while. Are you comfortable opening up / know your way around the innards of a computer? You may try removing your RAM chipsets and reinstalling them.

Tell us more about the "power saving mode" message- everything you can read on this screen, and everything that happens. Maybe a better diagnosis is possible.

I had a similar problem recently and it was because my monitor had died. There was no insidious virus/malware/spyware on my pc. Just a dead monitor.

edit: I forgot to add I'm running Win 98 too.

Edited by Nickerelastic

I had a similar problem recently and it was because my monitor had died. There was no insidious virus/malware/spyware on my pc. Just a dead monitor.

Good thought- one I never considered. Entirely possible in Melus' case. The monitor may be dead or not connected properly.

OK, I reset the one RAM stick in a different socket, turned the machine back on, and this time no repeating long beeps. But, there's still the message that comes up on the screen. It says Warning PC entering power saving mode. What it is is a Red Green Blue message box. The computer is still on and humming away peacefully, but nothing on the monitor. BTW, the monitor is brand new HP LCD and connected up tight.

I had that happened to me a few times. Once it (beeping) was caused by memory not seated properly and I just reseated the DRAM. Then a few times, something was not connected properly, such as mouse, keyboard, HDD, etc. Once, when my motheboard failed, it beeped so much that I knew it was serious. Sometimes, the beeping is related to the last thing that you did to the PC, knowing or unknowingly, before it started beeping.

Good Luck

OK, I reset the one RAM stick in a different socket, turned the machine back on, and this time no repeating long beeps. But, there's still the message that comes up on the screen. It says Warning PC entering power saving mode. What it is is a Red Green Blue message box. The computer is still on and humming away peacefully, but nothing on the monitor. BTW, the monitor is brand new HP LCD and connected up tight.

If you have a graphics card, take it out and clean it and reseat. To clean it you can go over the contacts w/ a pencil eraser and wipe w/ clean cloth. You can also use electrical contact cleaner. If you happen to have some of that you can also spray a bit into the AGP slot. Watch out for that AGP card retainer clip at the slot when removing and reseating.

While your case is open you can clean that RAM stick as well.

Be sure the monitor is adjusted correctly. Can you try it connected to another PC (even a laptop) using the same cable?

as RDN said - check out what the post code says. even across a few bios' many of the codes are common. if you want a wild guess , check your video card - maybe reseat it , or if you have another one handy swap it out. I have had one machine that because of the inconsistancies in the manufacture of the case and the motherboard the vid card was a prob getting it seated so as it would work. It was actually seated well enough to boot but not display. Had me puzzled for a while. Also while delving inside your case keep in mind static electricity - murphys law of CMOS will take advantage of you whenn you least want it too.

The Red Green Blue message sounds like it is coming from the monitor. There may be a problem with the monitor drivers, as LCD monitors didn't exist when Win98 was king. The BIOS is trying to start an incompatible video driver.

If reseating the video card doesn't help, can you connect an old monitor and see if the computer boots? If yes- Install the flatscreen drivers with the old monitor attached. Problem might magically go away when you restart with the new monitor.

If reseating the video card doesn't help, can you connect an old monitor and see if the computer boots?

I'd just like to update what the condition of my computer is. I tried what bino suggested, but the machine is still not booting. The contacts on the RAM stick and video card were perfectly clean, so there was no need to clean them. One thing I hadn't mentioned was that the computer was sitting idle for a good many months, and was working fine before I last used it. I suspect that it's a CPU chip or mainboard failure. This is something I don't feel comfortable dealing with, so it looks like a trip to Earth System at Seri Center to let the experts take a look at it.

Many thanks to bino, stumonster, JSixpack, xyz, Nickerelastic, and RDN for the suggestions and help they gave.

• 2 weeks later...

You can find out all about computer proplems including beep codes.

http://www.udon.co.nr

Purdy

Edited by purdy