When Can A Thai Start Working In UK?

Happy Easter,

I have a friend (really this is about him), who is madly in love with a Thai women he met whilst visiting me on holiday. He has been back a few times since and they seem to get on really well together; now there is talk about taking her to live in the UK.

My mate would love to take her back but he is understandabley worried about leaving her at home all day whilst he goes to work (they have no kids). He fears boredom will set in and she will start to feel homesick and want to get herself back to the warmth of Thailand within a matter of weeks. So he thought maybe she could work part-time for the company he works for whilst earning her own money to do as she pleases.

Now, they are not married and have been together for about a year. Would it be better is they got married and if so how long before she can get her NI number if they got married? Or, is it not as simple as this? I think what he really wants to know is what the best route for him to take because he wants this relationship to work out and doesn't want her sitting at home all day watching the telly.

Advice guys?

Once they are married and the wife is living in the UK, she will be given a NI number, work permit and permitted to work immediately.

Plus she can own property, a vehicle and after one year will become eligible to claim social security and child benefit if he sticks her up the duff.

After 5 years, or is it 2 years? she can apply for a British passport. they hand them out like candy over there.

Trick is getting her into the UK. The guy must have an accomodation address, job and proof of income.

I have known of some who have met a girl in a bar, taken her out for the night, fell in love and the next day visited the British embassy demanding a visa for her.

So providing the guy has all the requirements and the girl can convince the embassy that she is not just getting married for an easy route into the UK, there should be no problems.

Wishing them all the best.

Edited by BigWheelMan

If they marry she will be eligible for a settlement visa, after 3 years she will be able to apply for citizenship providing she meets the requirements, contrary to the advice of the previous poster, they do not hand out citizenship like candy, there are specific requirements including language skills.

From the first day she arrives in UK on a settlement visa she will be allowed to work, she can then apply for an NI number based on that job offer, she doesn't need to have a job to get an NI number but it helps but if she doesn't have an offer can still make an application, you do not need an NI number to get a job.

She will also be entitled to NHS treatment from day one but will not be able to apply for any benefits within the first 2 years of her residency visa if she wishes to apply for indefinite leave to remain & a year later citizenship.

The main requirements for applying for settlement is to prove a sustaining relationship & that you can support her in UK without the need of benefits. Rental accommodation & even living with parent are acceptable housing options providing they meet the space requirements. There is no need to have a lot of money in the bank only to show bank statements proving you earn enough or have enough money to support yourselves. If she has a job offer already it will not hurt imo to include that in the application as proof of her ability to sustain herself.

I will move this to the visa for other countries section so that you can get more advice.

Once they are married and the wife is living in the UK, she will be given a NI number, work permit and permitted to work immediately.

Plus she can own property, a vehicle and after one year will become eligible to claim social security and child benefit if he sticks her up the duff.

After 5 years, or is it 2 years? she can apply for a British passport. they hand them out like candy over there.

Trick is getting her into the UK. The guy must have an accomodation address, job and proof of income.

I have known of some who have met a girl in a bar, taken her out for the night, fell in love and the next day visited the British embassy demanding a visa for her.

So providing the guy has all the requirements and the girl can convince the embassy that she is not just getting married for an easy route into the UK, there should be no problems.

Wishing them all the best.

Well that sounds easy,

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to pass this information on to him as he knows less than I when it comes to bringing them back to native soil. He has put her through plenty on English lessons with the British council just to improve her grammar a bit and I also told him to maybe go seek the advice/services of a visa company, although i'm not sure what one, as there seem to be lots out there. Good news though, I didn't think the Uk government gave out NI numbers that quickly; he will be pleased..

It's looking good for them both

I'm afraid there is little that is factual in BigWheelMan's post.

To expand and clarify Boo's a little.

If she obtains settlement as a spouse (i.e. marries in Thailand) then she can work from day one in the UK.

If she obtains a settlement visa as a fiance (i.e. marries in the UK) then she cannot work until after the marriage and she has obtained her two year extention known as FLR.

See this post for more on the differance between fiance visas and spouse visas.

If your friend needs any help or further advice, ask here. If he does decide to employ an agent, get him to read this first.

When wiffee started working with an agency they got her an emergency/temp NI number but we followed up with full application.

Then it was down to the local SS office for a 20 minute interview and 10 days later she got her full N.I.number.

She then did some cources at the local Tech and got her English "thingy" plus some others including a Health and Hygene cert for cooking (just in case )

Following that it was application for Perm Residenr then we went for the Citizenship app...Town Hall presentation and Oath cermony etc ..promise to obey the laws of the UK...and all that ....and finally a photo with the Mayor.

Then ....the wee RED one...... :)

Good Luck..

I can help with a little information as my cousin returned to live in the UK last January with his Texan fiancee. She was required to live, but couldn't work, in the UK for six months before the marriage, after which point she could work and there was and continues to be a 2 year period before she has full entitlement to UK social services, NHS, etc. she is a US citizen so this may not be relevant information, but I'd imagine that with proof of a genuine relationship, a Thai citizen could enter on a fiancee visa, issued in Bangkok, and would be subject to the same restrictions. Depends on language; my cousin's fiancee worked happily in a local pub despite the restrictions.

My advice to this guy looking for 'the best route' would be that there isn't one! Even same-culture realtionships are prone to breakdown and it will be sink or swim. He should simply fully explain what kind of live could be expected in the UK. Furthermore, as a foreigner living in Bangkok, I often feel I'd be lost without my work, it's like I live in my own little bubble, and I'm having a much easier ride here than a Thai would if they moved abroad. I get real culture shock and I think that Thai's who move abroad, far from wanting an easy life, are really brave and ... well, just brave. Thai's will easily feel lonely without friends and family, they'll miss Thai food and be shocked how expensive it is, and easily fall into the 'internet rut' of chatting online.

I can help with a little information as my cousin returned to live in the UK last January with his Texan fiancee. She was required to live, but couldn't work, in the UK for six months before the marriage, after which point she could work and there was and continues to be a 2 year period before she has full entitlement to UK social services, NHS, etc. she is a US citizen so this may not be relevant information, but I'd imagine that with proof of a genuine relationship, a Thai citizen could enter on a fiancee visa, issued in Bangkok, and would be subject to the same restrictions. Depends on language; my cousin's fiancee worked happily in a local pub despite the restrictions.

My advice to this guy looking for 'the best route' would be that there isn't one! Even same-culture realtionships are prone to breakdown and it will be sink or swim. He should simply fully explain what kind of live could be expected in the UK. Furthermore, as a foreigner living in Bangkok, I often feel I'd be lost without my work, it's like I live in my own little bubble, and I'm having a much easier ride here than a Thai would if they moved abroad. I get real culture shock and I think that Thai's who move abroad, far from wanting an easy life, are really brave and ... well, just brave. Thai's will easily feel lonely without friends and family, they'll miss Thai food and be shocked how expensive it is, and easily fall into the 'internet rut' of chatting online.

Thanks for that,

I have no experience myself but understand the point you are putting across. Thai's are very much all about being close and feeling warm with one another and taking a Thai out of their comfort zone which they have known all of their life must be a massive shock. It's funny that westerners (not all) but the majority are more adadpted to life away from home; a possible sociological bit of analysis needed here or maybe it's simply a matter of cultural divides.

It is imperitive that my mate finds her a job, as you say, they get lonely pretty quick and will miss everything that is Thai.

I wonder if anybody else reading this has good first hand experience of making their Thai loved one 'comfortable' during their time on foreign soil?

I have since mentioned this to my own tgf and she is now asking "Danny, why you not marry me and I can go England too"... Seems like I have started an exodus of wanna be British citizens in and around where I live. Either that or subscriptions to Thailovelinks will increase by 100% in the next 24 hours...

My husband lived & integrated fully into UK life for nearly 6 years, He is now a British citizen & we are living back in Thailand but would move back to UK quite happily tomorrow if we needed to. Both places are home to him, just in different ways. I also maintain that people don't give thais living overseas much credit. Many thai people & esp the women imo enjoy the benefits of life in the west & the release from Thailand's quite strict hierarchical society. They manage quite well without having other thai people around & adapt their dietary requirements quite easily with the local produce available. Many also avoid thais & prefer to make friends with locals instead. This imo, helps their integration greatly.

When my wife first arrived in the UK, 9 years ago now, she did get very lonely. Our daughter was at school and I was at work and she simply sat at home. No one to talk to and TV she could barely understand, "They talk to fast!" We were living with my parents, but my dad could spare her little time as he was busy with my invalid mother. He did what he could, and we are both eternally grateful to him. Now that he's dead my wife misses him very much.

Then she got a job, and things changed dramatically for the better. She got out the house, met people made friends and settled in fine.

I did make a big mistake; I took her round all the Thai restaurants in about a 10 mile radius; expecting her to make friends with the staff simply because they were all Thai! Didn't work, a shared nationality is not enough to start a friendship!

She does now have both Thai and non-Thai friends in the UK, and is fine; but those first few months were hard for her and she did need a lot of support from me.

My wife has just been given her Indefinite Leave to Remain visa, here are the facts since she came into the UK two years ago.

Ni number. You do not need a job or a job offer, you can apply and get an NI number no problem, you just go the the office and get one. You fill in the form and sign your name there and then, they will post out the card. Take some application forms from the job centre to "prove" she is looking for work.

When my wife entered the UK the settlement visa was for TWO years, maybe it has changed.

When getting her to the UK, I advise getting utility bills, gas, electric, TV lisence, etc bills put half in her name, half in yours. This proves that you are living together, the UK Borders Association want to see this kind of stuff, I guarantee it.

She must take citizen test or an ESOL course incorporating citizenship. If taking the ESOL course she must be interviewed before attending the school and her English language skills assessed. She must advance one level in this and get a certificate and a letter from the school to prove so. She will not be eligible to attend ESOL courses for free until she has been in the UK for one year. UKBA want to see this.

I employed an agent who used to sponsor this forum called Scouse to handle my wifes application, fortunately we had all the right preperation and paperwork in order and he applied for the visa in person and apart from 1 slight hiccup we got the visa fully stamped in her passport two days later.

I was lucky, I had been reading this forum for a long time so I knew what to have, (thanks Thaivisa). Others fall into the trap of thinking once she is in the UK everything is plain sailing, it is not, I guarantee it.

Hope this helps.

John.....

My husband lived & integrated fully into UK life for nearly 6 years, He is now a British citizen & we are living back in Thailand but would move back to UK quite happily tomorrow if we needed to. Both places are home to him, just in different ways. I also maintain that people don't give thais living overseas much credit. Many thai people & esp the women imo enjoy the benefits of life in the west & the release from Thailand's quite strict hierarchical society. They manage quite well without having other thai people around & adapt their dietary requirements quite easily with the local produce available. Many also avoid thais & prefer to make friends with locals instead. This imo, helps their integration greatly.

Sorry Boo, but I disagree.

What benefits does a Thai woman get when entering the UK? Absolutely none what-so-ever, as posted by somebody else, they are terribly lonely and understandably miss their family, my wife was lucky, she had friends, thanks to the fact my mates and wives had visited Thailand and a mate of mine, who I had not seen for years, is married to a Thai, they even come from the same area, so they are friends now. My wife tried to get a job, but as most other people with limited English find, it is not easy, nigh on impossible if you want to work ligitimately, especially where we live.

John.....

When my wife entered the UK the settlement visa was for TWO years, maybe it has changed.

It has changed, slightly.

A fiance visa is valid for 6 months, and then FLR after the marriage is valid for 24 months. One can then apply for ILR, assuming the other criteria are met. This hasn't changed.

What has changed is that a spouse visa is now valid for 27 months, and one can apply for ILR after being in the UK for 24 months, assuming the other criteria are met.

Sorry Boo, but I disagree.

What benefits does a Thai woman get when entering the UK? Absolutely none what-so-ever, as posted by somebody else, they are terribly lonely and understandably miss their family, my wife was lucky, she had friends, thanks to the fact my mates and wives had visited Thailand and a mate of mine, who I had not seen for years, is married to a Thai, they even come from the same area, so they are friends now. My wife tried to get a job, but as most other people with limited English find, it is not easy, nigh on impossible if you want to work ligitimately, especially where we live.

John.....

Hi John, as I said, this is my opinion based on who we know & the conversations I have had with thai women over the years. We know several thai women who love life in Uk & refuse to return to Thailand for more than holidays much to the displeasure of their husbands. In the beginning, any new ex pat will struggle with lack of friends, new culture, customs etc but this applies imo to most moving to a new country.

ime, Thai women are still classed lower than men in thai society & are expect to fullfill many duties here, in UK they have freedom to be themselves & find release from those bonds & expectations. Not all thai women get lonley, not all are unable to find work or mix with local people, yes it takes time but that is also normal..

We have friends in Stockholm (thai couple) & chatting with the wife one day I asked if they had plans to move back to Thailand, her response was quite eye opening, she said she refused to allow her daughters to be raised there as in Sweden they were afford rights & opportunities that just weren't available to them in Thailand & that for them ( the parents) they were able to focus on their own studies (both fulltime workers as well as part time students) as well as earning a decent wage for the work they do. They both work in a hotel & study for further education but they have a better quality of life in Sweden & their 2 girls are, according to them, in a much better place.

Of course some will struggle but there is a suggestion that (for some reason) thai women are incapable of adapting & integrating & that is what I disagree with.