The Current State Of Affairs - More Bombs

elektrified

Just wondering what others are thinking about the current state of affairs in Chiang Mai? In the last 24 hours there have been 2 more bombings including a bomb blast at Makro. The other bombing I am not sure where it was because the news footage was taken in the dark and I could not make out any landmarks. But the damage was substantial.

Some of these places such as Makro and the area near Lai Thai Guesthouse (where there was a bomb blast earlier in the week or last week) are places or areas that I travel to frequently or am out walking, shopping, etc.; often with my 7 month old child. I never dreamed that when I moved to Thailand 3 years ago that I would have to fear being hit by shrapnel or even killed by a bomb blast. I used to worry when I lived in Los Angeles that I could be a victim of a wayward bullet in a drive-by shooting that are so common in Los Angeles. I can't say that I ever had any fears during the years I lived in Europe.

I've lost count of how many bomb blasts there have been in Chiang Mai over the last two weeks but now I'm beginning to think carefully if I really need to go into the city at night or pick up that item from the store I was thinking of buying, etc. Supposedly some of these bombs are not related to the red shirt movement. What are they all about then?

What are others thinking?

Lets have a little perspective here......it was a nothing incident.

I would always think twice about travelling into the city at night, but thats because of the driving skills of the majority of the Thai population. Even night time is safe than the 3.00 to 5.00pm time bracket where its Russian roulette at every intersection.

There will be more "innocent" road fatalities this Songkran in Chiang Mai than have been in the last few coups nation wide.

It could be someone wanting to blame the reds. It could be Southerners trying to manipulate the situation. It could be some splinter group of the reds or or a lone nut.

It is hard to say who is doing it, but I wish that they would stop.

I lived and worked in London during the Bishopsgate & Canary Wharf bombings (IRA) and the Underground bombing of a few years ago. Not sure where or when you were in Europe, but in my personal experience (from perspective of bombings) this place is as safe as houses compared to any major European city.

Now, let's talk about road safety...

Lets have a little perspective here......it was a nothing incident.

Huh? A nothing incident? Have you seen the news footage? Some of these bomb blasts would have taken your head off (and arms, legs, your child's head, etc...) had you been in the vicinity. What a ridiculous statement!

Feel free to panic about something you can't do much about. Causing panic or concern seems just about the only goal to be honest.. If the goal was hurting people then it doesn't make much sense to try to bomb an empty parking lot at 3am.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Feel free to panic about something you can't do much about. Causing panic or concern seems just about the only goal to be honest.. If the goal was hurting people then it doesn't make much sense to try to bomb an empty parking lot at 3am.

I didn't mean just the Makro incident. I meant all that has been happening.

I don't believe the Thai people can and will split into violent factions over an issue like this... they are too nationalistic to want prolonged civil strife, I hope this is not the start of regional rivalry but rather a fad...

It is rather shocking to have no-one with a real clue as to what is going on... that scares me more than the attacks.. who the f*** is in charge of this place, and why aren't they communicating. Or maybe they are.. i just cant read and speak Thai well enough.

Be nice to have some English language analysis... maybe The Notion could explain it to us...

Mai pen rai, Jai Yen Yen, Mai ton serious, I've got a good supply of grenade prevention amulets.

Edited by whiterussian

> Be nice to have some English language analysis... maybe The Notion could explain it to us...

Eh.. The Nation (assuming this is what you meant) would be the absolute rock bottom LAST place I would turn to for news and analysis.. :)

(Other than to see what kinds of things some easily impressed TV members will come up with next. )

These small explosions could have been caused by anyone - someone with a grievance i suspect. These are nothing major, especially in the middle of the night with not even a stray dog around.

Not even news worthy.

Not unless you have a bomb go of under your arse.