Ban Phe Travels ....

Spee

My partner, her daughter and I just spend a week in Ban Phe, also hitting Rayong, Koh Samet, Laem Mae Phim and surrounding areas. Although my travel experiences are somewhat limited outside of the moo bahn area (Bkk, Phitsanulok/Phichit, Phuket, Pattaya), the Ban Phe area is now a favorite. It's a very laid back area where everyone encountered was very friendly, and a distinct absence of people "on the hustle" for one thing or another.

Koh Samet was just okay, some parts beautiful to be sure, but the whole ferry landing area is unsightful. Sai Keiaw beach was quite nice. But I felt all the resturants and shopping areas were quite overpriced compared to the mainland areas.

We also a meal at Tamnanpar on the way to Rayong, which is an exciting layout with good food. You pay a little more for the food & drink, but the ammbience is tremendous. Seven busloads of Thai tourists arrived for a lunch party while we were being served. We are now thinking about having our wedding reception there.

The beaches out towards Mae Phim perhaps aren't as nice or popular as Koh Samet, but they are big and expansive, with plenty of little "mom & pop" restaurants along the way. We ate at one, cooked and served by a mother and her two little kids, and had large plates of fresh and delicious crab, shrimp and fish. The kids were the cutest little servers.

I was surprised at the number of Scandinavians, but was told this is a very popular area for them. There are apparently large Scandinavian resort village developments.

The daily Ban Phe market is a sight to behold. Tents and tents of clothes and things, and any kind of Thai food under the sun. We stuffed ourselves for only about 200 baht.

Finally, I'd also like to give a big shout-out to Mark & Aom at the Bedrock Bar, Grill & Guest House. Their reasonably priced accommodations were rustic, clean and comfortable. And I can't say enough about the food. Bedrock's ala carte' menu was by far the best we had in Ban Phe, good & authentic Thai food with nice portions as well as a sizeable western menu. The bar is a fun place to spend an evening of social drinking and satellite footie matches with Mark, Aom and friends. And a special thanks is due to Aom. My partner's birthday was a few days ago and she didn't want to have any kind of celebration. Aom went ahead and had a cake prepared, put out two platters of fruit and we all sang Happy Birthday. My partner & I were very touched by Aom's gracious hospitality. I don't know when, but we will be back .... thanks again Mark & Aom & the Bedrock staff!

Spee, Kho Samed I love, one of my favourite places in Thailand, a nice place to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of Thai city life, just laze about on the beach chilling with a cool beer, nice places to eat on the beach, watch the fire show on the beach at Ploy Talay and then the night club afterwards, no traffic, no corruption that I have ever seen but I do wonder about the shopping areas you mention, there are to my knowledge no real shopping areas, infact the biggest store I remember on my last visit was 7/11 and as for prices for food (eating out) compare them to Bangkok, Kho Chang or Pattaya IMHO the prices for food in Kho Samed are good value.

I also like to have a cool beer at Bedrock and yeah Mark and Aom are great, even the rat that knawed through the fridge wire making the beer warm, also the staff at Christies directly opposite the pier have always been accomodating and freindly so yeah I find your post about Bhan Phe and Kho Samed refreshing and will be visiting again, soon I hope.

Zaphodbeeblebrox, Bhan Phe may seem a little run down in it's core to some but IMO it's one of the charms of Thailand and I also believe it will become more and more popular with tourists because of it's laid back nature.

Anyone thinking of giving Bhan Phe a visit do it soon and I hope you enjoy.

Edited by MB1

Not being a native speaker, my first thought reading the term "shout-out" was that it referred to something like a huge bar fight. Relieved this doesn't seem to be the case :)

Edited by keestha

Thanks for the good words a bout Bedrock and my wife Spee. Really appreciated

rgds Mark

Cheers Mark.

I'm back in the states only a few days and already "homesick." Seeing all the fast food joints in the airports made me lose my appetite.

My honey has been telling me how much she enjoyed Bedrock and Ban Phe, and told me to say thank you to you and Aom.

Hope we'll see you again at Loy Krathong.

Best wishes ...

Edited by Spee