I'm Running Out Of Books

doppa

some good reading along the lines of lee childs, robin cooke and david baldacci, ive read most of those now, have to say 3 excellent writers,also the novelist who wrote 'odd thomas'.

so i need new authors, over to the 'nose in the book squad', for those who havn't read any of the above mentioned, highly recommended, for those who can't read, get a good friend to read you a few chapters.

I've just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, very enjoyable thrillers. Shame he passed away after writing the third book I think it's a series that had more legs.

For something Thailand based John Burdett's Bangkok series are a good read and James Clavell's Asian saga books are superb.

Mathew Reilly, James Patterson, Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver are all popular authors that are somewhat similar to the ones that you have mentioned.

Ian Rankin, Andy McNab and Chris Ryan are British authors and a little different but they have been flying out the door for many years, so well worth a try.

If you like historical novels try..

Steven Pressfield

Bernard Cornwell

Patrick O'Brian

Conn Iggulden

I highly recommend each of them.

Then there's..

Michael Connolly

Minette Walters

Barry Eisler..............

Cheers

Happy readings.....

I've just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy, very enjoyable thrillers. Shame he passed away after writing the third book I think it's a series that had more legs.

For something Thailand based John Burdett's Bangkok series are a good read and James Clavell's Asian saga books are superb.

Try author, Dick Francis. I fond him very good and versatile. Quote (Yrreg) :)

Agree with Stieg Larsson - really fascinating and captivating plot.

I also like Harlan Coben, Nelson DeMille, Alex Berenson, William Bernardt, John Lescroat - all in the thriller/spy/courtroom genre.

Mathew Reilly, James Patterson, Michael Connelly, Jeffrey Deaver are all popular authors that are somewhat similar to the ones that you have mentioned.

Ian Rankin, Andy McNab and Chris Ryan are British authors and a little different but they have been flying out the door for many years, so well worth a try.

I second this list, I've read books by all of them and will continue.

John Sanford writes some fantastic page turners, especially his 'Prey' series, 'Kidd' series,' and now 'Virgil Flowers' book.

All of Jeffery Deaver's 'Lincoln Rhyme' books. (One was a movie, "The Bone Collector")

Ian Rankin's series are just as entertaining but a bit on the dark side, as is the 'Robicheau' series by James Lee Burke. All quite re-readable!

Dana Stabnow's 'Shugak' series, Robert Parker's "Spenser" series, both Kellerman's (Faye's 'Decker' series and Jonathan's'Alex Deleware' series)

John Grishom, Nelson DeMille,

If you feel like something slightly more literary, try High Fidelity by Nick Hornsby, Are You Experienced? by William Sutcliffe, Into the Wild and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Sons by Khaled Hosseini, No Country for Old Men and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

These are all wonderful books and not too heavy. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you like historical novels try..

Steven Pressfield

Bernard Cornwell

Patrick O'Brian

Conn Iggulden

I highly recommend each of them.

Then there's..

Michael Connolly

Minette Walters

Barry Eisler..............

Cheers

Happy readings.....

I would add Wilbur Smith to the historical novel category. Exceptional writer!

I'm also a big Connelly fan. Just finished "True Evil" by Greg Iles, first of his I've read and enjoyed it very much.

James Patterson gets my vote...... especially the Alex Cross series....

I like Patterson enough that I have several of each of his books

gonzo

I concur, have read at least 30 of them.

If you are in Pattaya come to the PCEC meeting on Sunday, I manage the book exchange and have 100+- in stock each week. Equal exchange bring 2 take 2.

If you feel like something slightly more literary, try High Fidelity by Nick Hornsby, Are You Experienced? by William Sutcliffe, Into the Wild and Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Sons by Khaled Hosseini, No Country for Old Men and The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

These are all wonderful books and not too heavy. :D

The Kite Runner gets a big thumbs up from me :) and they did a good job with the movie too. I didn't like A Thousand Splendid Suns quite as much, but I would still read both of them.

Cormac McCarthy's books contain some absolutely wonderful lines and I would add All the Pretty Horses to UG's list.

Ian Rankins Inspector Rebus novels are worth a go, they are set mainly in Edinburgh.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain (a golden oldie, try to figure out why it's still banned in parts of USA)

So many choices.

These are all wonderful books and not too heavy. :D

The Kite Runner gets a big thumbs up from me :) and they did a good job with the movie too. I didn't like A Thousand Splendid Suns quite as much, but I would still read both of them.

Cormac McCarthy's books contain some absolutely wonderful lines and I would add All the Pretty Horses to UG's list.

Ian Rankins Inspector Rebus novels are worth a go, they are set mainly in Edinburgh.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain (a golden oldie, try to figure out why it's still banned in parts of USA)

So many choices.

...Its based on political assholiness

stieg larsson's millenium trilogy is superb, and anyone who has read that should try henning mankell's wallander series, detective novels also set in sweden.

agree about ian rankin's rebus books, they're outstanding if you like good detective thrillers with a muso edge to them.

also highly recommend david peace to anyone who lived in the uk in the 70s and 80s, his four red riding books set in yorkshire and his GB84 novel with arthur scargill as the main protagonist are all excellent. as is his book with brian clough as the main character, 'the damned united'.

if you havent ever read an Elmore Leonard-start now should get a Nobel Prize for thriller writing

(Out of Sight, Get Shorty, etc) also writes great Western stories (Hombre; 3.10 to Yuma)

If you like spy genre get Alan Furst - superb period espionage, probably the best writer in the genre at this point in time.

Also in that genre Charles McGarry (ex CIA guy) famous first novel: The Tears of Autumn and five or six more..

If you like police detective: Joseph Wambaugh-ex LA cop - The Onion Field etc

if you havent ever read an Elmore Leonard-start now should get a Nobel Prize for thriller writing

(Out of Sight, Get Shorty, etc) also writes great Western stories (Hombre; 3.10 to Yuma)

agreed, top class pulp fiction. if you like leonard you'll also probably like george pelecanos and dennis lehane.

stieg larsson's millenium trilogy is superb, and anyone who has read that should try henning mankell's wallander series, detective novels also set in sweden.

agree about ian rankin's rebus books, they're outstanding if you like good detective thrillers with a muso edge to them.

also highly recommend david peace to anyone who lived in the uk in the 70s and 80s, his four red riding books set in yorkshire and his GB84 novel with arthur scargill as the main protagonist are all excellent. as is his book with brian clough as the main character, 'the damned united'.

Agree with all the Stieg Larsson recommendations but I didn't get on with the wallander series.

David Peace excellent as well, the British James Ellroy - who I'd also rate

I reckon Gecko books is going to be busy over the next few days with all this recommendations :)

i picked up the david peace books in on the road books on ratchviti. nice chap who owns that place and he had a good stock of them he'd ordered in from the uk.

what was your issue with the mankell books? bit plodding maybe?

A thousand splendid suns is a good book, interesting to read some of the Afgan history too. I am currently working very slowly through "A short history of the world" a page turner it isn't but it is very interesting & a good slow read.

I reckon Gecko books is going to be busy over the next few days with all this recommendations :)

i picked up the david peace books in on the road books on ratchviti. nice chap who owns that place and he had a good stock of them he'd ordered in from the uk.

what was your issue with the mankell books? bit plodding maybe?

Yes Rob from On the Road, knows his stuff.

I found the Mankell books a touch dull and Wallander as a character didn't engage me. I still think the Martin Beck series of books by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo are the best police procedurals that I've read. Pretty hard to find but Gecko were stocking them a while back.

some good reading along the lines of lee childs, robin cooke and david baldacci, ive read most of those now, have to say 3 excellent writers,also the novelist who wrote 'odd thomas'.

If these are your favourite authors, you probably get lucky in one of the many 2nd hand book shops around Tha Pae.

Personally, I loathe these shops because they don't carry anything interesting for book collectors, a very limted number of hard backs, and almost no antiquarian or bibliophile books. If anyone has come across antiquarian book offerings in Chiang Mai, I'd be delighted to hear of it. Until then I get my books on Ebay.

Cheers, CMX