Do You Approve Of Foreigners Participating In Political Protests In Thailand?

Jingthing

Foreigners sighted at red shirt rallies  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Foreigners have been sighted at red shirt rallies, even SPEAKING at a rally. Do you think foreigners should participate in Thai politics at this level (for any Thai political cause, not only reds)? Actually, I thought it was very illegal, but never mind that part of it for the purposes of this poll, what do you think, approve or not?

Edited by Jingthing

I really hope that the security services run some facial recognition software on those clowns yesterday and deport them and revoke their visa rights for good. Getting involved in the protests is a very very foolish thing to do. Remember TiT.

It's as preposterous as illegal immigrants and tourists protesting in the U.S. about regional politics.

Unless it's something universal like censorship or serious human rights abuses then foreigners have no place in Thai politics whatsoever. The farang involved in demonstrations at this stage are just idiots plain and simple and I wouldn't be surprised if they got deported and blacklisted.

I was asked to join back in 2008 with my PAD friends, but I declined. It's not my place to do it, (but I was also fed up with the PAD by that time, I felt they had overstepped their rights), as I believe that protesting must be done in one's own country.

Even if you are protesting against another country's government, your protests should be in your home country. Once we are all global citizens, (a long way off), and there is a federation of governments, then it will be okay to protest in a foreign country.

NO, I would not want foreigners coming to America to rally against our govt (even though they do) so I don't think foreigners should do so here in Thailand.

I think it is perfectly legal for legal foreigners to actively protest in America and it doesn't bother me at all. I am offended when illegal immigrants openly protest, as they have, especially when they wave their foreign flags in defiance. Yes this is a double standard but Thailand and the USA are at ENTIRELY different places in their history.

Edited by Jingthing

euro82 because they are aiding a mob trying to bring down the govt. If a foreigners came in trying to bring down a govt why should they not be deported? Are we not guests? Is this how you treat your host?

Personally, I wouldn't do it - I think it is risky.

Now about those who do... I have no feelings or wishes for them.

They are free to do as they like - As long as what they do has no consequences for me, I try to avoid to tell other people what they should do and what not. They are old enough to direct their lives as they see fit.

They should not complain if their visa is not renewed.

Jing, there is a difference between getting your demonstration permit in the US and holding a peaceful demonstration. But this is a violent mob of terrorists that will stop at nothing to bring down the govt and I think foreign participation is disrespectful to our host and should be met with harsh action to include deportation.

Sensible people who know to behave themselves would not take part in any kind of protest, anywhere*.

Protest is for losers.

* This includes an open internet forum as well :)

How was democracies won with out protests, [no violent]

Sensible people who know to behave themselves would not take part in any kind of protest, anywhere*.

Protest is for losers.

* This includes an open internet forum as well :)

How was democracies won with out protests, [no violent]

Democracy is for, ups, never mind... :D

As I posted in another thread, there are a bunch of 'foreigners' who have become Thai's and have full citizenship, obviously these people would have the same right to demonstrate as other Thai people.

In my experience anyone who goes through some kind of conversion process like this will normally come out more extreme in one way or another than the general population. Like religious converts for example.

If they are dumb enough to accept the possible consequences, I don't mind.

Totally agree. If you want to do it go ahead. But when you get arrested, beaten etc, dont go crying and saying "Im a (insert citizenship) you cant do this to me" or calling the embassy to say how badly you have been treated and ask to be saved.

I unfortunately had to vote yes, but I'll add a qualification.

I do not approve if the only purpose is to make a political statement. Since we can not vote, it is not really helpful to add our voice to the choir. On the other hand, if something were to happen in the future like an attempt to pardon Thaksin and bring him back, that would represent a direct threat to my family.

In order to protect my family, yes, I would come out and protest against that. Independent of my place of birth, protecting my family from tyranny is a non negotiable point. It really depends on exactly what the protest is for. I think the poll question is too broadly written to allow for the nuances that it engenders.

I voted NO..... IMO it's not their problem and they should keep out of it and keep away from protest sites..

Maybe their just losers in life and this is their chance/hope to become a hero..

Edited by MB1

I do not have any plans of joining the protest, but I do not have any problems or hold foreigners to any different standard than I would for a Thai Citizen.

I would also not hold any non-us citizen who wished to protest in the US about the US to a different status than any US citizen.

If the protesters get arrested... then the foreigners shoudl get arressted and charged righ along side of the Thais. If the Thais are not arrested then neither should the foreigners.

I believe that it is every person in the world's right to protest against any government if they chose to.

I also agree with the comment that kmj made, about reserving the right to protest if something affect himor his family.

Many foreigners are not guest visiting Thailand... for many foreigners Thailand is there HOME and they are raising their familoes here. The fact that they are not citizens or permanant residents is only based upon the current immigration system.

So if they shouldn't be allowed to protest because they do not have PR or citizenship and the Thai government wont allow them PR or citizen status (none aproved since 2006), is that really a fair test? I say no

Everyone in Thailand should be treated equal under the constitution. That includes freedom of speech, like it or not. Suthep doesn't seem to think so, but to be honest that's probably one of the more minor issues he seems to have with the constitution.

the constitution doesn't issue visas...

C'mon, it is absolutely fair game for governments to refuse to issue visas for people they don't like.

On the other hand, if Thaksin comes back as a ruler, all those farangs speakers will probably get their PR or Thai passport real quick (they will still have to pay the corrupt pro-Thaksin ministerial officer though).

I can think of an exception. Here in Pattaya View Talay condos was (and did) building a tall condo that ruined the ocean views of another condo. So the owners of the threatened condo, many of them foreigners, protested at City Hall. They lost, of course, but that wasn't really a political statement about Thai politics, but a private property conflict that was very limited. I think that is totally OK and so apparently did the Pattaya authorities.