Songran Fun Or Not

ilovemangos

I love songran, and look forward every year to getting soaked. Many of my farang friends hate it and will stay indoors the whole time if they can, I understand its not for everybody.

Now songran in pattaya, bangkok, chiang mai...been to all 3 and Chiang mais imo if by far the best more of a local feeling.

and i would take songran over a full moon party anyday. not that full moons are all that bad ....i just love songran

so what does everybody else think of songran and or full moon party.

oh and what about songran in your home countries? hate to admit it but in the states would not work to many inflated egos who think getting wet is some sort of insult...many fights would result many people injured and killed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only fun if you like the idea of getting or slamming others with water with ice cubes in their ears as they plead you to not do it when they are wearing business clothes and are obviously on their way to a meeting.

Public events like this brings out the lowest people and gives them an excuse to misbehave.

It is only fun if you like the idea of getting or slamming others with water with ice cubes in their ears as they plead you to not do it when they are wearing business clothes and are obviously on their way to a meeting.

Public events like this brings out the lowest people and gives them an excuse to misbehave.

And than we aren't talking about the dangers of getting water with ice cubes in your face while driving a moterbike, absolutely mental.

Its only funny because it happened to you. :)

In places like Chiang Mai it brings out pretty much everyone, and gives them an excuse to have fun, celebrate, and cool down from the heat. :)

I agree, 1 day ought to be enough.

Having to place your phone and money into a plastic bag and keep it in your pocket is quite ridiculous.

I indeed stay in for about 4 days over the period.

People seem to have forgotten the spirit of the water festival.

Regards

Its only funny because it happened to you. :)

talking of which, that ugly mug of yours on your avatar could do with a good pasteing of powder on it, followed by a good old squirt of ice cold water. :D

I agree, 1 day ought to be enough.

Having to place your phone and money into a plastic bag and keep it in your pocket is quite ridiculous.

I indeed stay in for about 4 days over the period.

People seem to have forgotten the spirit of the water festival.

Regards

Leave your telephone home mate.

So no callls form wife or GF and enjoy :)

Welcome to ThaiVisa, ilovemangos.

First of all my friend it is "SONGKRAN" (kho kai between G and R).

Enjoy your water festival,

Topic CLOSED :)

It's actually สงกรานต์ .

Edited by Curt1591

Songkran - crap - just an excuse for morons to 'give it the large'.

A mass brawl nearly broke out on walking street in Pattaya a few years back after some stupid woman (English) ran out in the street and shot me and about ten of my friends in the face with a high pressured water gun, one of my friends grabbed it and smashed it to pieces, then several of her male ape like friends got up running around with their 'wife beater' shirts on, the end result was they bottled it when we stood up to them and the girl realising she had caused a whole bunch of trouble when the police started running around blowing whistles started crying. Have fun - it's great !

Before this incident I had never had an eye infection in my life before, I developed a 'stye' a few days later, it went with a course of Amoxicillin antibiotics but this returned at least seven or eight times over the following couple of years.

We weren't wearing beach wear, smart shirts and trousers / jeans with shoes and socks, not the kind of clothes you want to get wet in. We'd just been for a nice dinner together and went to walking street for a few drinks when we came across these morons. Once the mayhem had quietened down one of them told one of us he was a cop in England and he's lucky he didn't get arrested ! Punks.

Full moon party - I stopped going to 'raves' when I was about 20, that was a long time ago. You are really putting yourself in a risky situation going to this place, you are a target, better stay with the herd or something will likely happen.

I prefer the traditional 'pouring water over grandmas hand' blessing and nice time with family over 'insane strangers that are drunk slam you with pre-cooled water and laugh manically if you seem to not like it before his friend jump you and smear some goo on you and your clothes and try to touch your girls boobs while he smear it in her hair'. Great times.

Edited by TAWP

Its only funny because it happened to you. :D

talking of which, that ugly mug of yours on your avatar could do with a good pasteing of powder on it, followed by a good old squirt of ice cold water. :D

dont worry brother......im definately a target in my local area.....HAVING SAID, THIS YEAR I HAVE A LITTLE SURPRISE FOR THE FUKKAS :)

Game On!

I prefer the traditional 'pouring water over grandmas hand' blessing and nice time with family over 'insane strangers that are drunk slam you with pre-cooled water and laugh manically if you seem to not like it before his friend jump you and smear some goo on you and your clothes and try to touch your girls boobs while he smear it in her hair'. Great times.

me thinks something is stuck in ur posteria, if it gets the better of you, take a break somewhere (i did last year :D ). you're not gonna change thailand tawp......did i mention u might have sometin stuck in ur posteria? :)

dont worry brother......im definately a target in my local area.....HAVING SAID, THIS YEAR I HAVE A LITTLE SURPRISE FOR THE FUKKAS :)

Game On!

sawadee be mai, khun neverdie :D

Edited by tigerfish

Songkran - crap - just an excuse for morons to 'give it the large'.

A mass brawl nearly broke out on walking street in Pattaya a few years back after some stupid woman (English) ran out in the street and shot me and about ten of my friends in the face with a high pressured water gun, one of my friends grabbed it and smashed it to pieces, then several of her male ape like friends got up running around with their 'wife beater' shirts on, the end result was they bottled it when we stood up to them and the girl realising she had caused a whole bunch of trouble when the police started running around blowing whistles started crying. Have fun - it's great !

Before this incident I had never had an eye infection in my life before, I developed a 'stye' a few days later, it went with a course of Amoxicillin antibiotics but this returned at least seven or eight times over the following couple of years.

We weren't wearing beach wear, smart shirts and trousers / jeans with shoes and socks, not the kind of clothes you want to get wet in. We'd just been for a nice dinner together and went to walking street for a few drinks when we came across these morons. Once the mayhem had quietened down one of them told one of us he was a cop in England and he's lucky he didn't get arrested ! Punks.

Full moon party - I stopped going to 'raves' when I was about 20, that was a long time ago. You are really putting yourself in a risky situation going to this place, you are a target, better stay with the herd or something will likely happen.

[/q

That's another thing, how dirty is the water?

diarrhoea or worse I suspect.

Game On!

Something like this :D

post-95869-1270896406_thumb.jpg

Agree with needforspeed here - Songkran is definitely to be avoided if you only have a motorbike.

Getting water thrown at you on a motorbike isn't fun - its dangerous.

Having said that, its great fun if its restricted to those who want to get involved.

And than we aren't talking about the dangers of getting water with ice cubes in your face while driving a moterbike, absolutely mental.

...Which I already got today (on the receiving end) on a busy 4-lane highway. Starting on the 10th? Unbelievable. Nearly wiped out on a pick up truck as I inadvertently swerved from the surprise attack. I love Songkran too, but it does have its drawbacks....

Basically I love traditions and folkore and they should stay, but Songkran is way beyond 'a tradition' because it's clearly that the idiots think they should rule this days and shout as loud as they can.

What to think of emptyheads who pump water at motorcycles at already very dangerous intersections ? You think that is traditional, sane behaviour ? I don't think so. What you think of 400-600 deaths every year ? Why in Europe we have no deaths when we have festivals ?

The government shows a big management FAIL with this 'festival' (if 'management' already has been invented here) in Chiangmai the water annoyances already started, every year the same tattood bababobo whores in front of their bars at LoiKroh road, and few blonde lonely planet idiots who can wait 'going back to their youth' and already behave as if the city is one big kindergarten.

Sure people must have the right to enjoy, and the right to go completely out of their ceiling from time to time, but not for any price and not without loosing responsibility regarding safety of other people.

In Chiangmai they could close the innercity from cars, forbid pumping water along roads where they drive faster the 50km/h. And restrict it to 3 days and not 7 to 8 days like in Chiangmai, fine people who trespass safety rules, jail people who behave like drunk idiots, fighting and drive drunk for 2 weeks.

Then Songkran could become fun for everyone again.

Thailand has a serious lack of good moral and a weak backbone I hate that because it's pulling the whole country down on the fast track.

I would not mind if the muslims from the south take over the country asap and bring back order and progress !

Amen, whatever... enjoy happy and safe crazy days !

...Which I already got today (on the receiving end) on a busy 4-lane highway. Starting on the 10th? Unbelievable. Nearly wiped out on a pick up truck as I inadvertently swerved from the surprise attack. I love Songkran too, but it does have its drawbacks....

TT, Where Bangkok?

I prefer the traditional 'pouring water over grandmas hand' blessing...

me thinks something is stuck in ur posteria, if it gets the better of you, take a break somewhere (i did last year :D ). you're not gonna change thailand tawp......did i mention u might have sometin stuck in ur posteria? :)

"Traditional 'pouring water." Like back in 65?

post-67161-1270882346_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.