Nokia Cellphone Can Use In Us?

hackerthai

SIMS in the U.S. are not bought and sold as freely as here, since most of the mobile business there is done by long term contract...

But, after I moved here, I still travel back sometime, though no longer keep a U.S. mobile service contract. T-Mobile is a GSM system compatible with phones here, and you can buy a SIM online or in any of their local stores there with so many minutes of use for so much money, and a limited time validity.

That's what I use when I go back with my Nokia mobile... That's assuming your Nokia mobile is quad or tri-band GSM capable...

The TMobile web site for prepaid service is here...

Edited by jfchandler

Is your Nokia a Tri-band one. The US uses a different band to Thailand. Dual band phones work in many countries but the US is the odd one out.

What model have you got? Do you have the instruction manual? If you do then it should say if it is tri-band and will work in the US. If it doesn't look it up on Nokia's website.

Yes, it is a Nokia Model 3110c, i googled it and do think it is Triband gsm

so if that is the case, do where do i buy the sim card, in Phuket or in USA, where? Thank you

Why don't you read jfchandlers message again. I think the info you want is in there. :)

Edited by mallyrd

Glad to be of service... :)

I had to check the same thing when I moved here, because, once I dropped my contract in the U.S., I still needed a mobile when I visit there, and I sure didn't want to pay roaming rates for my Thai carriers in the U.S.

AT&T is the other main U.S. national GSM carrier... But the last time I checked some time back, I can't remember, either they didn't offer anything comparable, or it was ridiculously expensive to use... Can't remember which...

Everything there is about long-term contracts...

I have a Nokia E51 that I took to the US, Northwest Ohio to be specific.

It is;

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network HSDPA 850 / 2100

I went to Radio Shack and the guy said it will work. He inserted the SIM card and it DIDN'T work. I ended up buying a throw away and the coverage sucked.

Gary, it all depends on whether the frequency set of a particular phone matches with the frequency set of any particular GSM carrier. If they match on any GSM frequency, then you'll get reception.

Radio Shack staff aren't particularly the world's mobile phone GSM experts. So it depends on what kind of SIM they gave you... In the USA they also have CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint/Nextel, which are entirely different.

Also, the default GSM frequencies used in Thailand and USA are different. A phone purchased in Thailand won't necessarily work in the U.S.A. unless it's tri or quad band -- meaning capable of receiving on the two native GSM frequencies from its origin country, PLUS one or two others from abroad. Same thing, in reverse, for a USA purchased phone you'd try to use in Thailand.

Gary, it all depends on whether the frequency set of a particular phone matches with the frequency set of any particular GSM carrier. If they match on any GSM frequency, then you'll get reception.

Radio Shack staff aren't particularly the world's mobile phone GSM experts. So it depends on what kind of SIM they gave you... In the USA they also have CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint/Nextel, which are entirely different.

Also, the default GSM frequencies used in Thailand and USA are different. A phone purchased in Thailand won't necessarily work in the U.S.A. unless it's tri or quad band -- meaning capable of receiving on the two native GSM frequencies from its origin country, PLUS one or two others from abroad. Same thing, in reverse, for a USA purchased phone you'd try to use in Thailand.

I used a Thai purchased phone and also realized - not all the phones are unlocked (maybe it's just the one I bought). Of the two GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) providers, I found T-Mobile will generally provide help over the phone, by texting you the unlock code. The folks in the store are not as helpful, but you need to have a phone to make the initial call.

Or, you can walk into a smaller authorized re-seller. I've had pretty good luck with them if I'm in a pinch.

Lastly, I'd ditch the 3G frequencies on T-Mobile. As the previous post says for GSM frequencies, the 3G frequencies are also different. I think Hong Kong or Japan uses a similar 2100 (I think, I'd have to check again) band, but is not compatible.

All said and done, the 7-11s offer pre-paid phones and minutes / texts. A bit more expensive but an easy route.

Lots of good advice given.

I have a Nokia N72 that I bring with me on travels both the states and Europe, it's a tri-band phone and I have a few local sims that I switch to on location, for cheaper rates and no roaming fees.

Hackerthai, as stated above, your Nokia 3110 C should work in the states, as it's a tri-band phone. (GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz).

USA use 850 and 1900 MHz for 2G. Depending on where you're going you'd have to check what prepaid operators have coverage.

Check coverage link

I have only used T-Mobile in the states. You can pick up a prepaid T-Mobile sim card from any of their own brand shops.

Walmart used to sell them too, not sure if they still do.

Gary, I'm surprised that your Nokia E51 didn't work as it should be a quad-band phone. And if it truly is, it should support both of the 2G frequencies used in the states.

Just shows you how technical savvy the Radio Shack personnel is. :)

One possibility is like mshoichi says above, that your phone is actually locked to a Thai carrier.

Lots of good advice given.

I have a Nokia N72 that I bring with me on travels both the states and Europe, it's a tri-band phone and I have a few local sims that I switch to on location, for cheaper rates and no roaming fees.

Hackerthai, as stated above, your Nokia 3110 C should work in the states, as it's a tri-band phone. (GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz).

USA use 850 and 1900 MHz for 2G. Depending on where you're going you'd have to check what prepaid operators have coverage.

Check coverage link

I have only used T-Mobile in the states. You can pick up a prepaid T-Mobile sim card from any of their own brand shops.

Walmart used to sell them too, not sure if they still do.

Gary, I'm surprised that your Nokia E51 didn't work as it should be a quad-band phone. And if it truly is, it should support both of the 2G frequencies used in the states.

Just shows you how technical savvy the Radio Shack personnel is. :)

One possibility is like mshoichi says above, that your phone is actually locked to a Thai carrier.

The E 51 is not locked. I did go to another phone shop, don't remember what the name of the shop was but it was not one of the major carriers. They couldn't help either other than to sell me a throw away that had VERY poor coverage.

Excellent input here, I took the phone to Central festival in phuket and I asked 4 people if this would work in USA.

1 said don't know

2) phone already unlocked will work in us

3) phone will work

4) phone locked must unlock in US

I spoke online chat with Tmobile in us and he said just come in when in the US and buy a prepaid card. should work.

so confusing all this phone stuff but will save money buy dropping the US sprint phone with a 2 year contract.

Thank you all who gave input , appreciate it!