Access To Airport And Bkk Violence

Reportedly there is quite a backlog of tourists trying to get flights out of Thailand.

I'm afraid I have lost the link I read this on.

Personally, I very much doubt itll get that bad.. although I did tell my gf to bring her passport round..! Holiday in Bali for a couple of weeks maybe?! :)

whoever is at power, in no way it would affect foreigners.

for sometimes we can even expect some soft rules, as the government will try to calm things down and be tolerant to all around, including foreigners, boost international confidence and to keep thailand opened to tourism again.

even if there would be some nationalistic slogans from some parties around an election time, they won't have the weight to really try to change any law - more just whipping some pre-election frenzy and votes

Edited by londonthai

I think, there is no need to leave thailand. as Tourist is completly safe over here. I have just shifted my hotel from Silom to Bangkok Airport area, I am staying now at King Park Avenue Hotel at Sirinakrin Road, No Problem at all, people over here hardly bother with what is going on in those area where political situation are still tense.

However why do we need to indulge a lot into those politics......just be cool enjoy the place avoid disturbing area, i have seen these things in different country as well....

No poblem until one day ATM electric or fun stops.

Thais rightly care little for the needs of tourists or falangs who unlike the poor have no 2nd optionof holiday or move to another country.

The crackdown will happen as before but unless the blatant ineqaulities subside the issue will re-emerge.

Fortunately there is no apparent rift in the army so far.However a conscirpt army shooting civlians is a high risk strategy so for want of sounder leadership its the coup ,rigged democracy two step again.

Sad that a truley respected man Chuan is too sick to show Geordie some finesse and diplomacy.The kidnaped soldiers sealed his fate as Iranian embassy siege did Teheran .When the emporer has no clothes the strings to the Pupeteer become clearer.

Songkhran coup 5/2

No problems here at the OnNut end of Sukhumvit. Ordinary BKK residents going about their business as usual. Keep appraised of where the Reds are but otherwise feels quite safe and I have no plans to retreat to Issaan early. Or not at least until Parliament is dissolved (that last bit was black humour)

I drove through two falanxes of Reds at 6pm on Saturday - one at Sukhumvit/Nana. I was a bit taken aback that they had expanded backwards form Ploenchit. I had to stop the motor in the middle of that intersection with the 'hordes' of Reds around and was asked (in broken English by a Red) where was I trying to get to. I told him (in Thai) and he said better go that way (pointing back down Sukhumvit). He was smiling throughout,as were the rest of the red masses.

I was driving a F-off fat capitalist bastard brand new white Fortuner. Tells you something about the hostility NOT towards foreigners here in BKK.

Samual, I totally agree with you..

Just be cool enjoy the place and avoid disturbing areas

We fly into Bangkok on Thursday, and are booked in our regular hotel on lower Sukhumvit. I don't expect any problems, but to be honest nothing would surprise me.

I will of course be wearing my usual black "brewery" T-shirts to remain politically and socially neutral. :)

If heading to the airport just be careful to leave plenty of time, just in case.

Flying into BKK 24th morning, heading to MBK to buy some stuff, leaving Thailand in the evening.

Now if the BTS is shut down as they did two days ago, I'll limit my BKK visit to Tulip massage on Thong Lor, read somewhere it's the best Bangkok MP :)

• 3 weeks later...
I was driving a F-off fat capitalist bastard brand new white Fortuner. Tells you something about the hostility NOT towards foreigners here in BKK[/size][/font].

Love this - gold.

Having been out at sea for some time and without wanting to trawl through countless pages of news threads - can somebody kindly enlighten me to the exact location of the gathering? :)

alternately please pm me with a map link.

Making travel plans and just want to be sure of where everything is... I don't have any worries (naysayers need not post replies) just want to get my bearings

thanks in advance

SVB

My TGF has just told me that the Reds are planning to take over the airport on the 30th.

Not great news, especially as my KLM flight goes on the 1st. Anyone heard the same?

:-(

Alex

That would be bad news we arrive on Sunday 2-05.

My TGF has just told me that the Reds are planning to take over the airport on the 30th.

Not great news, especially as my KLM flight goes on the 1st. Anyone heard the same?

Alex

Check the KLM website, Currently stating:

Due to the current unrest in Thailand, the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs discourages non-essential travel to Bangkok.

Rebook options

If you have a ticket to or from Bangkok between 11 April and 7 May 2010, we offer the following options:

1. Change of travel dates

... blah blah blah

2. Change of destination

... blah blah blah

KLM are hedging their bets!

Why do Thais not wear Yellow and Red shirts anymore, they used to be a symbol of pride?

Alex

and your tgf knows this, before all the security services and the mass media, because she is an organiser of this take over

and your tgf knows this, before all the security services and the mass media, because she is an organiser of this take over

:)

Good point. Please ask your TGF to keep us in the loop on this matter, can't really trust officials or the media these days...

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Good point. Please ask your TGF to keep us in the loop on this matter, can't really trust officials or the media these days...

Could you please ask your GF when I'm able to fly out to Frankfurt end of this month? Khop Khun La lai.

AAeeh and please ask her if Thaksin is coming back too.