Should I Come To Thailand (bangkok) Right Now?

Dancali

Children playing with water pssing you off big time, hopefully you never going to get children.

That would be a long time pssing big time for you :)

yeah mate -I think that's probably why someone up there made me gay - so that 'd never have children.

:D

Anyhoo, back to the topic .. Siam Paragon does, I heard, open today til like 8 PM.

I'm, for one, in need of de-stressing and celebrating Thai New Year by a splash of Valentino and Dolce&Gabbana!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children playing with water pssing you off big time, hopefully you never going to get children.

That would be a long time pssing big time for you :)

yeah mate -I think that's probably why someone up there made me gay - so that 'd never have children.

Anyhoo, back to the topic .. Siam Paragon does, I heard, open today til like 8 PM.

I'm, for one, in need of de-stressing and celebrating Thai New Year by a splash of Valentino and Dolce&Gabbana!

Honest answer :D , so also never adopt a "little pssing me of big time creature" :D

Siam P: They open today

Some very irresponsible posters here. To those saying that tourist areas are safe I'm sure people were saying that around Ko san. The fact is that wherever the protests may be now, should fighting start again then the fighting can spread in any direction people consider tactically viable (ie to escape or gain the upper hand over the opponent). Whether tourists are there won't factor into decision-making when people have bullets flying at them.

The fact that the CEO of CAT was kidnapped shows that the government, army and police are not presently in control of Bangkok, and the red mob can do anything they like, and they are doing exactly that. They're doing stop-and-search on people they don't like the look of etc. I would also point out that there are some right nutters in the red movement, Arisman being an obvious example but you've got someone much more violent in the shadows, Sae Daeng, with his paramilitaries armed to the teeth. If one side can gain advantage by shooting a tourist and claiming the other side did it do you think they'll hold back and think "no we can't we'll hurt the Thai economy"? We've seen already they don't give a dam_n about the tourist industry because they're killing it right now before our eyes.

I would suggest holding off til more peaceful times if you must visit Bangkok. If you come, and move to another area, have an escape plan ready (ie exit via Cambodia or Laos or wherever if the airport is inaccessible). I'm currently planning and getting everything ready in case I need to do one quickly. It's unfortunate but that's where we are right now.

I was in Iran when the massacre took place in 92 and I returned a few days later and I really did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I am currently in Abu Dhabi and will return soon and again I don’t expect to notice any real changes.

I was in Iran when the massacre took place in 92 and I returned a few days later and I really did not notice anything out of the ordinary. I am currently in Abu Dhabi and will return soon and again I don't expect to notice any real changes.

If countrys given travel warnings, why not change your plan specialy if traveling with children.

Dont expect isn't any guarantee, the people lost there lives didnt expect this, even as the foreigners left there hotel and going back home.

Thailand doesn't run away :) , be patient and go to LOS when the time is wright.

I'm always going wherever I want. Political unrest has never made me change plans. But, I ain't bringing a family with me, either, and I DO use a little discretion. I came into the airport area of Bangkok when all the turmoil was going on and never saw any of it. I wouldn't make Bangkok my holiday destination, though. I'd move quickly on to somewhere else. There are lots of great places to see where you won't be bothered.

I'm always going wherever I want. Political unrest has never made me change plans. But, I ain't bringing a family with me, either, and I DO use a little discretion. I came into the airport area of Bangkok when all the turmoil was going on and never saw any of it. I wouldn't make Bangkok my holiday destination, though. I'd move quickly on to somewhere else. There are lots of great places to see where you won't be bothered.

I on your own and still young or feel young :) , understand.

I will be going home to Hua Hin in a couple of days and my driver will pick me up and drive me home as usual, that I have no doubt

As for travel warnings, well I have been travel with my work extensively since 1980 and I always treated UK travel advisories with a pinch of salt

If I had family or friends coming to visit with or without children, and if asked for my advice I would tell them to come and enjoy

i need your help please. i have a scheduled trip this coming thursday to bangkok and i am staying in first house hotel in petchaburi road. is the area clear?

No you should not inhabit that hotel. I looked it up on the internet and it is close to Pratunam and Panthip shopping centres. It is only 10 minutes walk from one of the two main rally sites at Siam/Ploenchit. That site is not the one that exploded on Saturday but if there were to be another clash then the escape routes and potential satellite battlegrounds include (New) Petchaburi Road.

If you are on your own and willing to take a little risk then you are ok to come in a taxi and hole yourself up in that hotel and its immediate surrounds, but take cover if you hear firecrackers - probably bullets.

My wife and I visited Phantip centre on Saturday morning and it was fine. I drove in a parade of Reds down Sukhumvit (not intentionally) to get there and skirted the Reds rally site at Ploenchit/Whittayu. It was fine and the Reds were in good spirits.

I drove to Sukhumvit/Nana on Saturday afternoon and the intersection was being taken over by Reds. They very good-humouredly redirected me in my obvious falang fat capitalist bastard Fortuner with lots of smiles and laughs. But that was before the great cock-up later that evening. I abandoned evening plans to dine/drink in Nana/Cowboy and am pleased I was that sensible.

Anyone who says that the Reds are targetting or might target tourists is 100% wrong IMO, but who can account for the obvious paramilitary element, whichever colour they hail from.

At the moment I would not advise anyone who is not a well-seasoned Bangkok traveller to stay in the central Bangkok area unless you have to (for loss-of-money or job reasons) in which case be prepared to stay holed up in your hotel at the faintest sniff of trouble. Many of the tourist sites are too close to the action for comfort and traffic will likely be disrupted when people return to work (it's dead quiet today and probably will be for the rest of the week).

So far as staying in Bangkok is concerned Khao San is an absolute no-no and I advise against lower Sukhumvit. We are staying in On Nut and feel completely safe out here. The Riverside posh hotels are probably safe too but stick to the riverside and Chinatown and don't come eastwards except by highway or with a reliable well-informed taxi driver. If you are passing through overnight then use the airport vicinity hotels (there's a good thread on TV re Suvarnabhumi area hotels).

If you are in transit through Bangkok both airports are safe and taxi rides between both airports and all major bus stations should be fine but specify 'pai highway' (go by the toll motorways). The Reds seem to have avoided the top shelf but soon they will realise it is free (another piece of Government incompetence) and they will be using them for getting around; nonetheless when they are travelling they are boisterous but not dangerous.

My guess is that there will not be another flare up but I would not want to base travel advice to non-risk takers on the back of a hunch. We saw on Saturday how the situation changed from happy clappy to conflagration and how it migrated half a kilo towards a prime tourist area in the blink of an eye. Bullets going up in the air are capable of landing a few hundred metres away from any action.

There may be some out there who suggest I am being too cautious. They are usually the ones who know their way around and are risk takers (like me). I personally will be less cautious than my own advice suggests!

I am not in 'the rest of Thailand' at the moment but by all media accounts it is entirely normal. I would certainly not discourage tourists from visiting Thailand outside Bangkok

Edited by SantiSuk

Some people are really living in a strange world. They are shivering and shaking in hysteric panic even if they are not getting near a hotspot.

Those who ask whether Bangkok is safe don't listen to those individuals spreading panic!! Bangkok is generally safe even if you are right in the middle of Ratchaprasong and if you use common sense and follow the latest developments carefully. I happen to live right in the middle of the red rally ground and not tens or hundreds or thousands or more kilometers away.

I have no choice than to dive into the red masses to go on with my life. I am doing that several times a day since ten days now.

What I can tell you is that if you put aside all the political propaganda it is a very pleasant experience down there. The people are extremely friendly and nice. I always feel very warmly welcome down there, people are offering me specialties from all corners of Issan, they offer me drinks and ice tea on a regular basis. It's like a big street party, street market and dancing ground mixed with some political propaganda. You will not find many other places in this world where you can dive into a mass of so many smiling and friendly people.

I have never seen a violent thug down there. There is so much to explore. The mood was more quiet after the sad events on Saturday evening at Phan Fah but after Sunday afternoon it was back to "normal".

Since today they are celebrating Songkran at Ratchaprasong. Now you see even more happy people and the usual happy water war is going on as it is in other parts of Thailand.

Here is a collection of photos I am shooting in my neighborhood to document what is going on here. These photos will give you a good impression about what I see down in the streets in front of my doorsteps since April 3.

Ratchaprasong

For the moment I don't think that any crackdown is imminent and after the lessons from last Saturday I believe that they will try to find a political solution to the crisis. I regard the risks of being injured in Thai traffic during Songkran by many orders of magnitude higher than being injured walking around in Ratchaprasong right now.

As stated by other people before me if you don't want to take any additional risk then you should just stay home for the rest of your life.

Edited by TallForeigner

Your experience entirely mirrors my own concerning Red Shirt attitudes on the street and I agree with virtually everything you say, except the conclusion you draw. I think you are too close to the action to be objective(!).

No doubt the Phan Fa rally site was equally happy until the proverbial hit the fan! Sure - come on down if you are a risk taker, nay even a moderate risk taker. Mom and Pop tourists, stay away.

Excellent post, SantiSuk. The best advice I've seen yet. You are site specific for the OP. Bangkok is a HUGE place and unless you actually know where the protestors are rallying then it's impossible for a foreigner to make plans to avoid it. Nothing seems to be happening in the outlying districts.

However, all protests and public events in EVERY country seems to bring out the creeps and thugs who like to hide behind the anonimity of a crowd.

I've heard some pretty stupid advice given in my time but some of the comments here are simply incredible. I have recently spent a, shall we say, interesting evening listening to explosions and gunfire not so far from my bedroom window. The day before that people were saying exactly what these clowns here are saying. No problem here, it will be ok etc etc. The simple facts are: No-one, not the redshirts, not the police, the army, the government have a clue, when, if, where, the next round of rioting and killings are going to take place. I don't mean just Bangkok either! You pay your money and take your chances... And no! I am not shaking and shivering in some paranoiac fear, just being realistic...

Had a friend come into Bangkok, asked me if it was safe - told him no problem. Bangkok is generally safe, even now, it was not very safe in one specific location on Saturday - but if you are stupid enough to get involved in local politics and hang out in the middle of the protest area.... well maybe you should get a Darwin award.

I feel more threatened in certain American cities (in certain areas), than I do here now.... [not that I generally feel threatened in American cities since like here, I don't go into the "worst" areas].

I've heard some pretty stupid advice given in my time but some of the comments here are simply incredible. I have recently spent a, shall we say, interesting evening listening to explosions and gunfire not so far from my bedroom window. The day before that people were saying exactly what these clowns here are saying. No problem here, it will be ok etc etc. The simple facts are: No-one, not the redshirts, not the police, the army, the government have a clue, when, if, where, the next round of rioting and killings are going to take place. I don't mean just Bangkok either! You pay your money and take your chances... And no! I am not shaking and shivering in some paranoiac fear, just being realistic...

Right, exactly. I am but a footstep away from it all, I understand things could spark off but unlike many of the posts on here I have credible first hand experience. I spent 5 hours in the Redshirt 'mob' on Saturday, then walked around in a 12km circle on Sunday. This means, fro example, I know there is no Red hatred of Westerners. I was invited to many people's homes after chatting about the situation (between tear gas greanades).

Yes, there is real danger if you stay at Khao San, but if you use caution and think on your feet you are far more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than get shot.

If you have responsibility for other (e.g. children, old relatives) it would be irresponsible for you to hang around in Bangkok if you need not be there. But if not, I think it is important to override this recent epidemic of irrational higher superstition sweeping the Western World that says no risk is worth it. The very expression "a good risk to take" now seems absurd to the Westerner's ear because the word risk has now so strongly being associated with danger. The upside of taking a risk is forgotten. In academic journals right now it is pointed out that except for Paedophilia a person taking a risk is one of the most loathsome fingers in the popular imagination-- just look at the sheer anger aimed at such a person.

So go for it. This is what life is about. This is history in the making.

I have to agree with Ian.

This is far from the ideal time to visit Thailand and Bangkok. Part of the problem isn't what is happening, but what could happen.

I'm a little laid up right now with a medical problem, but over the past 2 weeks, at most I have been inconvenienced. But then again, I wasn't around the worst areas when the fighting was going on the other day. There are a lot of historic sites up along Thanon Ratchadamnoen...not sure I'll be wandering up that way right about now. For those who think it's all not a problem -- how much money do you think Central World has lost in the past week of being closed? They're not just taking a holiday. They're afraid to open one of the two largest shopping malls in the nation.

This could drag on, or it could move to dissolution of Parliament within days.

Again, I live here, but if I was heading here for a vacation, I'd postpone my plans if I could.

My opinion would be to still come to Thailand but I probably would head off to Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai or Samui. Hang out there till things settle in Bangkok. Even if you stayed in Bangkok and avoided the trouble areas you should be totally fine but just to be safe I would head off somewhere and enjoy the beaches or mountains till things calm down. That's what I would do but it's totally up to you!!!

Here is a collection of photos I am shooting in my neighborhood to document what is going on here. These photos will give you a good impression about what I see down in the streets in front of my doorsteps since April 3.

Ratchaprasong

Great photo report! Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the happy faces of the students in Tiannemen square in the days leading up to the massacre of 350+ when they thought they were about to change the world.

I sincerely hope that this regime is not so single-minded as the Chinese Communist Party was then

Very informative replies to a very useful question by the OP. Unfortunately, as often happens, I am more confused than before I read this discussion. As on 14th April, 3 pm, what is the situation ? Have tempers cooled down ? With the army and the EC saying that the government must be dissolved , is it reasonable to assume that the Reds have at least simmered down ? I am thinking that they might simply prolong their occupation of RPrasong as it is in the world's focus (which I think is also why they are pulling out of that other place PhanFa?). This occupation alone should be sufficient to accelerate the dissolution. That is the one action they want to call a final victory. Am I right here ? If so, do I (as a safety oriented - but not unduly scared - tourist) pack my bags for tonight ? :)

If you do not have to travel to Thailand

I would recommend you postpone it to a later date

If you must travel to Thailand because tickets are

non cancel / non refund , do not leave airport,

just fly to another area / city in Thailand

Why bother risking staying in Bangkok ... not worth

the bother right now. Go sit on the beach further south,

or go trekking up north

Ok, people. Just called up my country's embassy in Bangkok (not a western country) and asked the gentleman if I could travel now with my family to Bangkok for a holiday. Clear unambiguous question. And he gave me a clear unambiguous reply :YES!

Wow !

Ok, people. Just called up my country's embassy in Bangkok (not a western country) and asked the gentleman if I could travel now with my family to Bangkok for a holiday. Clear unambiguous question. And he gave me a clear unambiguous reply :YES!

Wow !

Was it the embassy of the republic of Sierra Leone?????

Wow !

Was it the embassy of the republic of Sierra Leone?????

You will have to run through your entire knowledge of geography at this rate, before you realise how high your horse is :)

To summarise, as at 16:00 on Wednesday, all is quiet - the Reds are enjoying Songkran with good humour and troops are nowhere to be seen in the centre. But nobody can be sure it will stay that way.

It is safe to fly to Thailand and stay anywhere outside Bangkok. It is safe to transfer from the airport to other transport links by taxi. It is safe to stay anywhere in Bangkok provided you are an experienced Bangkok traveler and monitor the latest state on the 'Reds Rally live' thread on Thai Visa. It is safe for anyone to stay on the fringes of Bangkok. It is relatively safe to stay in more central areas of Bangkok (let's say anywhere outside a 5k radius of The Erewan Shrine at Ratchaprasong) provided you do not come into or through that 5k radius circle and be alert to any signs of trouble spreading out of the very centre. From tomorrow you may be able to count Khao San Road in that 'relatively safe with common sense' area. The Reds are supposedly going to move from the rally site 1 km away from Khao San Road this PM.

Do not expect to move around the tourist sites in central Bangkok unless you are knowledgeable about Bangkok and its transport or are prepared to take an (albeit minor) risk of being caught out.

'Mom and Pop' tourists - stay out of Bangkok there's a whole wonderful country outside there to explore and it is safe.

Today 14 April, OP your in Bangkok??????

This is the OP here.

Thank you all for your input.

Yes, I am here in On Nut, Bangkok and having a pleasant time. From the airplane, to the airport, to getting here, and being here, you wouldn't have any idea that something was going on.

But I'll be staying well away from the protest areas just to be safe.

I lived in Bangkok for 4 years before. And I've been hanging out with my Thai friend which gives me an extra ear to the ground. Her dad is a retired police officer who happens to be a strong supporter of the reds. They live in the suburbs about 30 minutes south of Bangkok, so that's always an escape route just in case, but it's pretty far-fetched to think it would ever get that far.

I don't have plans of evacuating the city currently, but I will be mostly hanging around out here on the outskirts of the city just to be safe. In a week or so if there's still problems going on, it puts a hamper on my condo-hunting plans, so then I might take off somewhere outside Bangkok for a while.

Best of luck to all!

Thanks for a much needed update, Dancali. Pretty encouraging, I thought. We're taking off for Bangkok tonight, and looking forward to a holiday (whatever!!) tomorrow morning onwards for a week. We have been travelling to Thailand every year for holiday but this time it seems to be very, very testing (of our nerves, that is). All said and considered (and thanks to all posters for their valuable opinions and reports here), we have decided to make a go -- and test Thailand ! The latest news reports promise to fetch more action on Monday when the Reds swarm in larger numbers at Ratchaprasong. But, hey, we just cannot resist the temptation to travel to Thailand again for our holiday. Keep it decent, guys, and you'll have more tourists coming after all :)

Edited by HereIAm