Thai Red-Shirts Kidnap CAT Telecom CEO

webfact

Can anyone think of any aspect of Thai society that comes out of this disaster with any credibility - Reds, Abhisit, military, monks, media, unmentionables? What a cock-up all round

the yellows want to show up as guardian angels, so to avoid responsibility for it's crime. Chamlong, Sondhi springs to mind. - As the usual setting. :)

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These thugs simply seem to believe they are above the law, acts like this make the perpetrators nothing more than terrorists.

I agree when are they going ton really sort these thugs out crack a few heads and throw them in jail

I just wish the foreign media could focus on HOW much the elected government have tried to handle the situation. They have AGREED to new election within 9 mounts!!! Go home poor,uneducated farmers and dont let you be fooled by greedy politicians or even killed by YOUR protectors!!

Kidnapping and threats that PM must do this and that is not tolerable in ANY country. Where are the special police forces???

Its about time to scrap the rubber bullets and make a message!

there are not many of rural folks out there anyway. Those you see are families and friends, friends of friends of red shirt leaders and of course Thaksin's private hired army as well as hired organized motorcycle taxis. That's it.

Mabye Mr.T hired Burmese and Cambodians to wear red shirts, would save him some money :)

Funny you should say that because it is exactly what a policeman friend of the family told my wife at the weekend, that Cambodians had been recruited to fill the ranks of the Red Shirts.

I don't believe this. This is smear campaign. Cambodians have better manners than Thais and more education. They were the emperors of SE Asia, not the Thais. I cannot believe that any Cambodian would take such a job!!! That's ridiculous.

Hard to come up with a good answer here... but...

It seemed like the female police officers at Ratchaprason did a pretty good job at holding off the Red Shirt buddhist monks.... Or was it the other way around??? :)

If only all the civil disputes these days could be handled in similar fashion....

Can anyone think of any aspect of Thai society that comes out of this disaster with any credibility - Reds, Abhisit, military, monks, media, unmentionables? What a cock-up all round

Oh yes - I had forgotten that blissful moment of pure Thai comedy/culture.

I meant to add tourists and TV posters in my original list. We (myself included) have spent too much time hurling abuse around in the last couple of days. The madness is infectious.

But it will happen again as long as the root of the problem(s) is not removed once and for all.

the root of the problem cannot be removed - this behaviour is in their nature. it will never

end, its just lucky that westerners are not targeted or blamed for this, like in some parts of the

world.

I have just come back from Klong Prem prison where I met the parents of an English boy imprisoned because of a corrupt legal system. I have also recently read the the book by the irishman who was falsely accused of murder and banged up for 8 years. You can say what you like about whether people are innocent or not, the problem in both of these cases is that the legal system is corrupt from head to toe. There is no normal civilised behaviour in this country. You cannot tell me that the prison system befits a democratic country and there is no way that it will change under the reds, yellows or any other colour. It is a country where WAI and respect and peaceful pagodas, massage, golden beaches and so on give a semblance of serenity and peace but behind this facade the country is not at all what it seems. Thaksin's lies - so open and obvious - are reflected throughout the society; because of corruption the country is a haven for crooks and farang scammers (big scale). Nobody wants to obey the law and nobody can enforce it.

I am hugely sorry to be part of this society but I am invested in Thailand with my home and family and it would be difficult, nigh on impossible, to live elsewhere.

What I see now in the way that these red people behave is a public manifestation of what goes on behind the scenes. You can get tortured by the police and the police will deny it. Or you can hold a demonstration, fire live rounds that everyone can see in a totally transparent way, and deny it. Your wife can profess to love you but her heart is only as big as your wallet. You can go to help some poor motorcyclist who has been knocked off by a hit and run driver and then be accused of causing the accident. And on and on and on it goes.

Any opportunity for theft, lies, scamming and so on is always taken - with a great big Thai smile.

The reds have blown the whole facade apart and I truly believe that apart from a small minority of enlightened individuals (of which Abhisit is one in my view), Thaksin's boys and girls are the true face of Thailand. My heart is heavy as I write this but Truth Today, eh?

Some people say, (not me), that this is what happens when you invalidate the majority's vote.

Sure hope sanity prevails. It breaks my heart to see such polarising discord. Seems a bit like the USA.

Army's action is, so far, much too soft. How come people tolerates that a "sponsored" minority manage to bother a whole country? A tougher reponse to those unpeaceful protests is needed. Talking is a loss of time.

Government is stalling in order to hide the evidence and get their stories straight before they resign. :)

So many idiots on this post are basically saying send in the tanks and heavy artillary (in not so many words but implying). What do you want another Tianaman Square and do you think a stronger course of action than we saw on Saturday will fix the problem? In these kind of situations throughout history forcing your political oponents underground leads to more radical movement such as the IRA to name but one.

Thailand is a divided country politically as is it's army so a fair percentage of the footsoldiers who are forcebly enlisted into the army at the age of 20+ and thrown on the frontline in Bangkok this weekend were obviously forced to fight their own unwillingly.

Many comments on many of the posts on this topic over the weeks have refered to the redshirts almost as if they're another nationality altogether so military action is justified like it would be for an invading force. They're as Thai as their yellowshirt brothers and should be allowed the same voice and treated with the same respect the yellowshirt seige of 2 airports recieved!

Sad to say, Thailand does fit the description of 'a banana republic'

It's an idiom which started in reference to central American countries which grew bananas, but the term spread to include many other countries, including Somalia. If Thailand is not already a banana republic, then it's fast slipping down (on the banana peel?) ....to that status.

Now, as for 3rd world country ....well, that's debatable. There's no such thing as 'a 2nd world country' but if there was, I think Thailand would fit.

The Red rallies are doing no good for anyone, except coffin and gun makers. Tourism is taking a hit that won't recover for years, particularly among Asian tourists - who are most easily spooked by civil (uncivil?) unrest.

Thaksin's unbridled selfishness has succeeded in bringing Thailand to its knees.

Edited by brahmburgers

But it will happen again as long as the root of the problem(s) is not removed once and for all.

the root of the problem cannot be removed - this behaviour is in their nature. it will never

end, its just lucky that westerners are not targeted or blamed for this, like in some parts of the

world.

I have just come back from Klong Prem prison where I met the parents of an English boy imprisoned because of a corrupt legal system. I have also recently read the the book by the irishman who was falsely accused of murder and banged up for 8 years. You can say what you like about whether people are innocent or not, the problem in both of these cases is that the legal system is corrupt from head to toe. There is no normal civilised behaviour in this country. You cannot tell me that the prison system befits a democratic country and there is no way that it will change under the reds, yellows or any other colour. It is a country where WAI and respect and peaceful pagodas, massage, golden beaches and so on give a semblance of serenity and peace but behind this facade the country is not at all what it seems. Thaksin's lies - so open and obvious - are reflected throughout the society; because of corruption the country is a haven for crooks and farang scammers (big scale). Nobody wants to obey the law and nobody can enforce it.

I am hugely sorry to be part of this society but I am invested in Thailand with my home and family and it would be difficult, nigh on impossible, to live elsewhere.

What I see now in the way that these red people behave is a public manifestation of what goes on behind the scenes. You can get tortured by the police and the police will deny it. Or you can hold a demonstration, fire live rounds that everyone can see in a totally transparent way, and deny it. Your wife can profess to love you but her heart is only as big as your wallet. You can go to help some poor motorcyclist who has been knocked off by a hit and run driver and then be accused of causing the accident. And on and on and on it goes.

Any opportunity for theft, lies, scamming and so on is always taken - with a great big Thai smile.

The reds have blown the whole facade apart and I truly believe that apart from a small minority of enlightened individuals (of which Abhisit is one in my view), Thaksin's boys and girls are the true face of Thailand. My heart is heavy as I write this but Truth Today, eh?

I little food for thought here in this link http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita if you click on "per Capita" Thailand is ranked #14 in the world for the highest murder rate. If you click on total of murders Thailand is ranked #9 in the world. I have lived here for almost 8 years and always felt very safe (even considering I am from Vancouver).

With all these posts back aqnd forth blaming this side that side this color that color etc. Maybe behind all these smiles they are just a violent people? There are a few other sites out there as well but they all seem to rank Thailand with similar numbers.

With this in mind I don't think there is any hope of a peaceful outcome of this complicated situation. Best thing to do is stock up on food and water and stay low. Peace ??? (not likely)

The Electoral Commission has just voted to ask the Constitution Court to dissolve the Democrats (really). If it wasn't a banana republic before, it is now.

BANANA REPUBLIC HERE WE ARE.

The Electoral Commission has just voted to ask the Constitution Court to dissolve the Democrats (really). If it wasn't a banana republic before, it is now.

Source please

Sorry found it.

Oh well, here we go again.

Urgent: EC resolves to dissolve Democrat

The Election Commission told a press conference that it voted 4:5 to request the Constitution Court's order to dissolve the Democrat Party.

The party was accused of having unlawfully obtained donations from TPI Polene.

In the next step, the EC will pass on the case to the Office of the Attorney-General to consider before sending the case to the Constitution Court.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Urgen...t-30127103.html

So I guess officially, there are NO clean major political parties in Thailand.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Ironic that a political group, or at least part of one, that is calling for democracy is resorting to violence, terrorism and kidnapping. These acts are the antithesis of democracy, which requires political advocates to stay within the law. Democracy is just a front for this element of the UDD.

Source please

It's going up on all the papers now, take your pick.

Edited by Crushdepth

DISSOLUTION OF PARLIAMENT (YOOB SERPAA) IS A FACT NOW. CONGRATULATIONS !

Possibly ... wonder if there is any chance of forming a government within the next year. Not if the UDD and PAD can help it. I think another coup is still on the cards to sort out the bitterness of the 2 sides.

But this lawless thuggery...Abhisit needs to take the gloves off.

So what do you suggest he should do now? Mow down the Red Shirts with machine guns and artillary?

There's nothing he can do. He's finished.

Unless the reds relent on their demand to disband Parliament immediately and hold elections in 15 days, Abhisit needs to get tough by loosening the rules of engagement for the troops. And executing the 17 arrest warrants wouldn't be a bad idea either. No argument new elections need to be held and it seems reasonable to me that the reds should meet Abhisit 1/2 way at 6 months. Abhisit will be finished for sure if he doesn't grow a spine and fast.

That pretty much sums up my own opinion of this country. That's why I'm on my way out of here. I'm still in my 40:ties of age and don't wanna waste the last best healthy years of my life in this sh*thole mirage, where a healthy and enterprising mind will only deteriorate and lose the spirit and soul. Also all these women that looks on you like a they've found a treasure box with a potential increase of their spending money. And we fall for that just because they are cute and our sexual desire. Wife, girlfriend or prostitute doesn't matter. It's all about the money, where the real prostitute actually is the most honest one.

You can be an honest hard working healthy good guy that will give the best of you and offer real quality. Meanwhile a lousy sh*thead will be more successful than you because he bribed the right people. That is why this country is not fit for good and honest people. Abhisit may maybe not be 100% pure (well he's a Thai too). But he's probably the best Priminister this country has ever had. He doesn't fit in this totally corrupt system. That's why we have this situation today. That's why I'm on my way out of here. My desire for good and structured life where my good efforts and honest work will be better appreciated, is far greater than the easy access to women and sex that this country do offer.

<deleted>?????????

What are they going to do with him???

no problem: he get a free ride: he goes for inspecting and for reconnecting the broadband. In order to be sure it will be correctly done, Arisaman will pay the motorcycle for him....

This is a new method for fixing your TV at home instead to wait several days for repairing...

I give them 10/10 for innitiative, they probably are pissed at the same quality of service I get with TOT, maybe I need to put on a red shirt and head down to TOT............

That pretty much sums up my own opinion of this country. That's why I'm on my way out of here. I'm still in my 40:ties of age and don't wanna waste the last best healthy years of my life in this sh*thole mirage, where a healthy and enterprising mind will only deteriorate and lose the spirit and soul. Also all these women that looks on you like a they've found a treasure box with a potential increase of their spending money. And we fall for that just because they are cute and our sexual desire. Wife, girlfriend or prostitute doesn't matter. It's all about the money, where the real prostitute actually is the most honest one.

You can be an honest hard working healthy good guy that will give the best of you and offer real quality. Meanwhile a lousy sh*thead will be more successful than you because he bribed the right people. That is why this country is not fit for good and honest people. Abhisit may maybe not be 100% pure (well he's a Thai too). But he's probably the best Priminister this country has ever had. He doesn't fit in this totally corrupt system. That's why we have this situation today. That's why I'm on my way out of here. My desire for good and structured life where my good efforts and honest work will be better appreciated, is far greater than the easy access to women and sex that this country do offer.

Absolutely ridiculous statement, prostitution is illegal in Thailand

world.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say, and respect your opinion, that book by the Irishman, "Welcome To hel_l", he was as guilty as sin, he killed the guy, he can't even fob you off with his version of events, I would have gone for a self defence or manslaughter, but he, in my opinion killed him.

That is not to say that his treatment by the police/lawyers/courts here was anything but deplorable. But I still reckon he killed the bloke!

This is interesting. Riot at a hospital. Drs and nurses having to force them back out of emergency room . No police in sight - interesting that the film crew was in position though. Two police appear at the end

THANK YOU THAIS. I GET BANNED FOR CALLING YOU AN INFERIOR CIVILIZATION EVERY MONTH AND NOW YOU'VE PROVEN ME RIGHT.. MY GF CAN NOW GET REFUGE STATUS IN MY COUNTRY AND ITS EASIER THAN A BOTTLE OF ASPIRIN AT THE PHARMACY

:)