Thai Election Commission Calls For Dissolution Of Democrat Party

webfact

Abhisit is, I believe, a very clever man surrounded by not so clever people. I do wonder if this is a master stroke? The EC give their decision a week early! Why? I gues Abhisit has either asked them what the decision is and said announce it, OR he has asked them to deliver a 'guilty' verdict and they can sort it out in the courts in 6 months time. Either way, get everybody out of BKK now! Whatever, he must stop PAD demonstrating on the 18th or the country will end up in Civil War for sure.

I am afraid that the tragedy of all of this could be too much for the Father of the nation.

6 months?

If I remember correctly (I may be wrong), the constitution court ruled and disbanned PPP THE NEXT DAY, after EC submitted to them. The pressure was to get the airports open.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to note all those who previously expressed extreme skepticism at the dissolving of the PPP, insisting that it was unfair and politically motivated, are now celebrating this as a victory for justice. How weird.

What's more interesting rix is that you started off with an anti-corruption stance against Thaksin, ignoring all the corrupt people like Saprang, Newin, Banharn, and the generals that installed Abhisit into his job. Then you morphed into an anti-corruption stance against all sides, justifying Mr. Clean Abhisit's usurping of Thaksin's elected position job as part of your anti-corruption agenda, while dodging discussion of Abhisit's seedy cronies as off-topic.

And now, the Democrat party has been exposed as corrupt on a massive scale, and the Electoral Commission has recommended its dissolution.

Apart from arguing for its own sake, please decide just what it is that you really believe in.

OK, and your opinion of the EC before this recent ruling against the Dems was?

Its a fact that the government are suppressing and controlling the media.

Its a fact that civilians were murdered under Abhisits leadership.

The current government is not suppressing or controlling the media. Alarmist rhetoric.

But, you being able to state as much on a public forum based in Thailand is proof that the current government allows dissenting views. In some of Thailand's neighboring countries and China, such a statement could bring dire consequences. As for your 2nd silly statement: Yes, civilians were killed on Saturday, but to blame it on Abhisit is wrongheaded. Abhisit is PM and therefore in charge of maintaining a semblance of order in Bkk. He's been exceedingly patient for 3 weeks, and then he finally found the backbone to do what should have been done days earlier. The main reason deaths occurred was because Reds and their rogue military buddies were itching for a knock down fight - and they got it.

And now, the Democrat party has been exposed as corrupt on a massive scale....

Get real. The EC recommended the issue be taken up in a courtroom. What's the charge for this 'massive scale corruption'? ....a donation from 5 years ago from a company.

The rule about banning all party party execs for 5 years due to illegal acts of candidates in their parties was stupid and should not have been included in the Constitution. But the Thai people didn't know that at the time (when they voted for the Constitution draft), and now their country is coming apart at the seams because of it. I was against it when it screwed up the PPP (even tho Ihad no love for PPP) and am against it now as it affects the Dems. Similarly stupid is the stipulation that only U grads can run for office. We've already seen how little leadership material is available in Thailand - and now the Constitution limits the contenders for top offices with a rule that assumes U degrees = wisdom. Incredible, particularly for those who know how U degrees are obtained here. If a U degree = intelligence, then eating wood toothpicks make good carpenters.

UPDATE

Dissolve Democrat Party, EC recommends

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Embattled Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is now staring at a possible five-year ban from politics after the Election Commission voted yesterday to seek dissolution of his Democrat Party in connection with two financial controversies.

Within two hours of vowing to fight on against mounting pressure after bloody clashes on Saturday, which Abhisit said were triggered by terrorist infiltrators, the EC announced the Democrats should face a trial over two financial cases.

The Attorney-General's Office is required to decide within 30 days whether to forward the cases to the Constitution Court, which could hit Abhisit and other Democrat executives with a five-year ban if found guilty.

Thousands of red-shirted protesters erupted in loud cheers and long applause on learning the news, but their leaders later shifted from victorious statements to caution.

The leaders told the big crowd at the Rajprasong intersection that the cases had a long way to go and it would be a mistake to assume the movement had achieved victory and that everyone could go home.

The EC voted 4:1 to request a Constitution Court order to dissolve the Democrat Party for unlawfully receiving Bt258 million in donations from TPI Polene in 2005.

Another case involved alleged misuse by the Democrat Party of a Bt29-million government subsidy. The EC voted 5-0 to seek dissolution in this case.

It was reported that Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban had known of the EC's decision one day in advance. The decision, however, triggered wild speculation as Abhisit was already facing political pressure left and right to dissolve the House of Representatives.

The EC had been widely expected to announce its decision on April 20. Yesterday's development, therefore, prompted speculation about a conspiracy to add to the pressure on Abhisit.

Other speculation, though, involved an opposing theory that the EC's announcement was intended to cool down the political temperature and make it easier for the red shirts to suspend their rally.

The whole process will take months. The Constitution Court will have to consider whether TPI Polene illegally siphoned the Bt258 million from the Financial Institutions Development Fund, as the company was still in rehabilitation at the time. If so, the then CEO of TPI, Prachai Leophairatana, would be subject to legal action for violating the Securities and Exchange Act of 1992.

If the money is considered an unlawful donation, and the Democrat Party has used it, the party could be disbanded for violating the Political Party Act. A dissolution verdict will almost automatically lead to a five-year ban for Abhisit, who signed financial documents concerning the donations after he succeeded Banyat Bantadtan as Democrat Party leader.

The laws give a narrow escape route from a five-year ban for party executives if it can be established that they were not aware of the offences that led to a dissolution order.

Democrat politicians have insisted the alleged donation never took place. They said money was given to relatives of some party colleagues as part of business dealing, but that the party had never obtained it.

A five-year ban on Abhisit, if it happened - and happened soon enough - would create a serious political vacuum, as most leading politicians in Thailand are still serving bans from party dissolutions in 2007 and 2008.

And if other Democrat executives join Abhisit in five-year oblivion, the only charismatic figure left will be former party leader and ex-prime minister Chuan Leekpai.

The minority vote in the TPI Polene case belonged to EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond, who was the main target of the red shirts when they besieged the EC headquarters last week because of his alleged ties with the Democrats.

Apichart's lone vote could prove crucial, Democrat legal experts say, because he is also the political party registrar, who holds decisive power when it comes to issues that do not receive unanimous agreement among the commissioners.

A key player in the donation controversy is obscure advertising firm Messiah, hired to produce campaign materials for the Democrats.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The rule about banning all party party execs for 5 years due to illegal acts of candidates in their parties was stupid and should not have been included in the Constitution. But the Thai people didn't know that at the time (when they voted for the Constitution draft), and now their country is coming apart at the seams because of it. I was against it when it screwed up the PPP (even tho Ihad no love for PPP) and am against it now as it affects the Dems. Similarly stupid is the stipulation that only U grads can run for office. We've already seen how little leadership material is available in Thailand - and now the Constitution limits the contenders for top offices with a rule that assumes U degrees = wisdom. Incredible, particularly for those who know how U degrees are obtained here. If a U degree = intelligence, then eating wood toothpicks make good carpenters.

I can't agree more.

It astounds me that so called intelligent people write laws here without considering any of the consequences. I guess that would need mature debate, which one can hardly say was part of the process of creating the last constitution.

Isn't it the case though that it is the execs are banned if the execs commit wronddoing?

The current government is not suppressing or controlling the media. Alarmist rhetoric.

So Abhisit wasn't responsible for the shutdown of the Pro-Red TV station ? WOW

Might it be that Abhisit, with his Western education and all, truly believed he could bring a measure of common sense to the chaos of Thai politics, but has discovered that entrenched habits are too hard to shift for one man, no matter how brilliant he may be or believe himself to be?

The red tv station should be shut down. Using a tv station to provoke civil unrest and violence should not be allowed. Free speech comes with certain responsibilities.

The red tv station should be shut down. Using a tv station to provoke civil unrest and violence should not be allowed. Free speech comes with certain responsibilities.

That is the standard claim to silence political opponents anywhere in the world when it comes to media suppression.

-- my dislike for strong men politicians especially when they are very corrupt

Strong men ...as in those who order crackdowns on civilians?

Corrupt ...as in taking illegal donations in the hundreds of millions?

Seems like your pretty boyfriend Abhisit fits into the politicians you dislike. Why are you still supprting him? It's time to take down the posters of Abhisit from your bedroom walls, stand up and admit that you've been supporting a corrupt politician all this time. Nothing wrong with that, we'll still love you.

Do you hate homosexuals? Is that a red shirt thing? Many of us think so after seeing what happenmed with the Chiang Mai red 51.

BTW, Abhisit ain't my type. I like the rougher, red shirt thug motorcycle taxi type.

Abhisit showed amazing restraint. Hardly a strong man. Any leader in the world would have done similar; most much sooner.

About Abhisit's corruption. There doesn't seem to be any equivalency between the charges against the democrat party and the charges of convicted criminal fugitive Thaksin. Don't you think it is rather cowardly to run away from justice as he has?

clutching at straws are we...? your hero not so clean as you thought? still defending the sinking ship? this has nothing to do with Thaksin - you bring him in everywhere - back on topic?

But, you being able to state as much on a public forum based in Thailand is proof that the current government allows dissenting views. In some of Thailand's neighboring countries and China, such a statement could bring dire consequences. As for your 2nd silly statement: Yes, civilians were killed on Saturday, but to blame it on Abhisit is wrongheaded. Abhisit is PM and therefore in charge of maintaining a semblance of order in Bkk. He's been exceedingly patient for 3 weeks, and then he finally found the backbone to do what should have been done days earlier. The main reason deaths occurred was because Reds and their rogue military buddies were itching for a knock down fight - and they got it.

Oh my! You can say the current govt is not suppressing the media with a straight face :):D

Really, you expect to have any credibility at ALL after a statement like that?

That is the standard claim to silence political opponents anywhere in the world when it comes to media suppression.

I couldn't agree more. Grabbing power on the pretext of tackling corruption and media censorship, all we have since seen and heard from Abhisit's camp is lies, intimidation and threats whenever one dares to disagree. Anyone who questions the government is branded as subversive, against the interests of the state, and more recently as 'terrorist'. The media is censored 'in our best interests'. History shows that this kind of behaviour is the first step on a path to repression and dictatorship, where free thinking people are sent for 're-education'. We've seen it all before, and we certainly don't want Thailand to fall victim to repression.

I'm very happy for the Thai majority to see that this culture of misinformation and coercion is now collapsing around Abhisit's ears. Thai people deserve the right to democratically choose their leaders.

Edited by clockworkorange

I couldn't agree more. Grabbing power on the pretext of tackling corruption andmedia censorship, all we have seen and heard from Abhisit's camp is lies, intimidation and threats whenever one dares to disagree. Anyone who questions the government is branded as subversive, against the interests of the state, and mpore recently as 'terrorist'. The media is censored 'in our best interests'. History shows that this kind of behaviour is the first step on a path to repression and dictatorship, whene free thinking people are sent for 're-education'. We've seen it all before, and we certainly don't want Thailand to fall victim to repression.

I'm very happy for the Thai majority to see that this culture of misinformation and coercion is now collapsing around Abhisit's ears. Thai people deserve the right to democratically choose their leaders.

spot on - biggest mistake closing the red channel - horrendous error - and now the EC reporting that the squeeky clean Dems are not so squeeky (or clean)

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's also an attitude that stems from people who think certain large segments of the population are not capaple of processing information on their own and deciding if the information is actionable. They think these people shouldn't have a say in government because they're not capable of making such decisions.

It was time to stop the escalade utilising disproportionate tools for dismantling a peaceful demonstration.

The latest week has shown an escalading decision making instead of efforts for defusing the situation.

The overall direction of the decision makers was not in line with what want the Higher level of hierarchy, too much risks in an adventure which can destabilise the Institutions.

The utilisation of Army snipers if confirmed is the most crazy decision, and the stoppage by a grenade on the Command tent can be understood as the ultimate way to stop the escalade and a blood bath more important, which could have been the spark of a far more serious situation.

IMHO, The dismantling of Democrats is also a clear signal for all parties to remain measurate and to try to find the ways to defuse the conflict not to fuel it.

Time is to solve the root problems and not to protect political careers.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

I couldn't agree more. Grabbing power on the pretext of tackling corruption andmedia censorship, all we have seen and heard from Abhisit's camp is lies, intimidation and threats whenever one dares to disagree. Anyone who questions the government is branded as subversive, against the interests of the state, and mpore recently as 'terrorist'. The media is censored 'in our best interests'. History shows that this kind of behaviour is the first step on a path to repression and dictatorship, whene free thinking people are sent for 're-education'. We've seen it all before, and we certainly don't want Thailand to fall victim to repression.

spot on - biggest mistake closing the red channel - horrendous error - and now the EC reporting that the squeeky clean Dems are not so squeeky (or clean)

Where is the normally speedy yellow farang mob to defend censorship and the shutting down of Red TV and websites?

(((silence))..............((silence))...............((silence))................

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's also an attitude that stems from people who think certain large segments of the population are not capaple of processing information on their own and deciding if the information is actionable. They think these people shouldn't have a say in government because they're not capable of making such decisions.

agreed... and three posters come to mind! :)

Where is the normally speedy yellow farang mob to defend censorship and the shutting down of Red TV and websites?

(((silence))..............((silence))...............((silence))................

haha I just posted a similar comment - our three wise posters are... where? probably thinking how best they can spin it as a red plot!

Mark is clean?

Who is responsible for the action of Army Snipers? Who have given the Green light to engage them in action?

The only public evidence of Army snipers targeting redshirts was a quote by Seh Daeng in Matichon. While I have no doubt that Seh Deang has quite a bit of knowledge about events Saturday night, I would take anything he says to the media with a grain of salt. There is no evidence to substantiate the claim of Army snipers that were part of the operation to clear the streets. There is evidence of redshirts being hit by bullets.

There is plenty of video evidence and photographic stills of men in black carrying firearms mingling unmolested with the redshirts. There is also evidence of redshirts themselves carrying weapons. There is also evidence of soldiers being hit with grenades, bullets, and molotov cocktails.

And the big question: Who took out the Commanding Officer for the Army?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Mark is clean?

Who is responsible for the action of Army Snipers? Who have given the Green light to engage them in action?

The only evidence of Army Snipers was a quote by Seh Daeng. While I have no doubt that Seh Deang has quite a bit of knowledge about events Saturday night, I would take anything he says to the media with a grain of salt. There is no evidence to substantiate the claim of Army snipers that were part of the operation to clear the streets.

we don't know anything - let's wait and see... back on topic before we are told off? how many governments is it now that have been banned? they do seem to like doing it here - I guess on the basis that they may not have won the election IF they had not been corrupt? but that could go on forever? imagine the Labour Party in UK being banned for expenses fiddles? surely it achieves very little? they just make a new party? I'm not sure I understand the rationale

Might it be that Abhisit, with his Western education and all, truly believed he could bring a measure of common sense to the chaos of Thai politics, but has discovered that entrenched habits are too hard to shift for one man, no matter how brilliant he may be or believe himself to be?

Maybe.

Or maybe that his family pushed him into it, and he knew he wasn't ready / ciurcumstances weren't ideal.

But it isn't a perfect world. He had a choice to take the job, and he took it.

In some ways I feel for Abhisit.

Based on track records I very much doubt any other politician in the country could do a better job "keeping down the numbers killed" in Bangkok.

Abhisit's not got much of a team has he? The Foreign Minister mouthing off about why other governments aren't helping, for example.

It's easy to call for the removal a leader, but not so easy to recommend who to follow, and what they should do differently.

And what with Colonel Fufu barking at his heels, along with those holding the leash and filling the feeding bowl.

I'm sure that wasn't on the PPE degree syllabus at Oxford.

Sometimes the best of a bad bunch happens to be the best you've got.

And you have to work with that.

Edited by Splatter

Maybe.

Or maybe that his family pushed him into it, and he knew he wasn't ready / ciurcumstances weren't ideal.

But it isn't a perfect world. He had a choice to take the job, and he took it.

In some ways I feel for Abhisit.

Based on track records I very much doubt any other politician in the country could do a better job "keeping down the numbers killed" in Bangkok.

Abhisit's not got much of a team has he? The Foreign Minister mouthing off about why other governments aren't helping, for example.

It's easy to call for the removal a leader, but not so easy to recommend who to follow, and what they should do differently.

And what with Colonel Fufu barking at his heels, along with those holding the leash and filling the feeding bowl.

I'm sure that wasn't on the PPE degree syllabus at Oxford.

Sometimes the best of a bad bunch happens to be the best you've got.

And you have to work with that.

I have actually said in many posts that I quite like Abhisit - what I didn't like was his clinginess to the yellows and his lack of even-handedness - if he had really (really) come out as a middle-way guy on neither side then he could have been very good.

I couldn't agree more. Grabbing power on the pretext of tackling corruption and media censorship, all we have since seen and heard from Abhisit's camp is lies, intimidation and threats whenever one dares to disagree. Anyone who questions the government is branded as subversive, against the interests of the state, and more recently as 'terrorist'. The media is censored 'in our best interests'. History shows that this kind of behaviour is the first step on a path to repression and dictatorship, where free thinking people are sent for 're-education'. We've seen it all before, and we certainly don't want Thailand to fall victim to repression.

There is a whole swath of "farang" who thought they knew Thailand, who thought by the association with the Bangkok middle class that they were "in touch" with the Elites thinking. These elements have been seen across the boards, they were highly arrogant, they were suckered into the total "mass psychology" so eloquently quoted by Sondthi the coup leader who said it would be used against Thaksin in the years ahead, back in 2006.

The trouble is, the "mass psychology" of anti-Thaksin propaganda only worked on a small minority of supposedly more "educated" Thai's. They got suckered into it because they thought that the media would never be biased.

As can be seen by Kasit openly admitting that the World and Interpol did not in effect believe anything said against the former PM and refused to work with the parliamentary coup Elite appointed government, as the world see's the charges as all being politically motivated to justify the coup.

Be very very wary of a Yellow backed coup, one which will attempt to put into place "New Politics" of a Yellow Elite appointed government.

The "threat" of dissolution against the democrats is just a threat. It is putting a gun to their head and saying "back us and share some of the spoils of the future appointed government" or you will suffer like TRT/PPP and Thaksin have.

New Politics is the agenda and a coup is likely to try to push it through. The Reds have known this for some time and its why they want "immediate" elections, in order to prevent the coup being carried out, is what many say.

There is a whole swath of "farang" who thought they knew Thailand, who thought by the association with the Bangkok middle class that they were "in touch" with the Elites thinking. These elements have been seen across the boards, they were highly arrogant, they were suckered into the total "mass psychology" so eloquently quoted by Sondthi the coup leader who said it would be used against Thaksin in the years ahead, back in 2006.

The trouble is, the "mass psychology" of anti-Thaksin propaganda only worked on a small minority of supposedly more "educated" Thai's. They got suckered into it because they thought that the media would never be biased.

As can be seen by Kasit openly admitting that the World and Interpol did not in effect believe anything said against the former PM and refused to work with the parliamentary coup Elite appointed government, as the world see's the charges as all being politically motivated to justify the coup.

Be very very wary of a Yellow backed coup, one which will attempt to put into place "New Politics" of a Yellow Elite appointed government.

The "threat" of dissolution against the democrats is just a threat. It is putting a gun to their head and saying "back us and share some of the spoils of the future appointed government" or you will suffer like TRT/PPP and Thaksin have.

New Politics is the agenda and a coup is likely to try to push it through. The Reds have known this for some time and its why they want "immediate" elections, in order to prevent the coup being carried out, is what many say.

another very well thought out post - a yellow coup is a nightmare waiting to happen - and after that? I shudder to think - if you have a God pray this doesn't happen.

Abhisit is, I believe, a very clever man surrounded by not so clever people. I do wonder if this is a master stroke? The EC give their decision a week early! Why? I gues Abhisit has either asked them what the decision is and said announce it, OR he has asked them to deliver a 'guilty' verdict and they can sort it out in the courts in 6 months time. Either way, get everybody out of BKK now! Whatever, he must stop PAD demonstrating on the 18th or the country will end up in Civil War for sure.

I am afraid that the tragedy of all of this could be too much for the Father of the nation.

6 months?

If I remember correctly (I may be wrong), the constitution court ruled and disbanned PPP THE NEXT DAY, after EC submitted to them. The pressure was to get the airports open.

Sorry, I don't believe you remember correctly.

The court had announced a 1 month wait after taking a month or more,

but suddenly speed up that wait by 2 weeks to make the birthday better.

So, what comes next? Abhisit and the Democrats are out of the picture, so will we have elections? If the PT can put together a coalition I'd be willing to bet that an early election is the last thing that we will see!

If, or more likely, when the PT gets into power their first three goals will be getting Thaksin's seized/frozen money back to him, getting his conviction overturned and getting the banned politicians (including Thaksin) unbanned. Actually, the first one will be the highest priority. If Thaksin can't afford to keep funding the PT party, they will all lose out. Also, they will probably make a lot of noise about the second two goals, but if they actually succeeded in accomplishing them, they would be relegated to second place when the 'real' players came back into power. I'm pretty sure that the current Thaksin supporters in Parliament are fonder of him as an overseas funder than they would be if he was back in Thailand micromanaging everything again!

So, does anyone know how Parliament can go about overturning court verdicts?

So, what comes next? Abhisit and the Democrats are out of the picture, so will we have elections? If the PT can put together a coalition I'd be willing to bet that an early election is the last thing that we will see!

If, or more likely, when the PT gets into power their first three goals will be getting Thaksin's seized/frozen money back to him, getting his conviction overturned and getting the banned politicians (including Thaksin) unbanned. Actually, the first one will be the highest priority. If Thaksin can't afford to keep funding the PT party, they will all lose out. Also, they will probably make a lot of noise about the second two goals, but if they actually succeeded in accomplishing them, they would be relegated to second place when the 'real' players came back into power. I'm pretty sure that the current Thaksin supporters in Parliament are fonder of him as an overseas funder than they would be if he was back in Thailand micromanaging everything again!

So, does anyone know how Parliament can go about overturning court verdicts?

Don't hold your breath on anything you wrote.

April 18 will be "Dooms day" for Thailand.

The Yellows will be demonstrating again and will show a "coup de force" against the Red's.

NOBODY will get in the middle trying to prevent that.

Both "militia parties", armed to the teeth will start killing and making a rampage which you cannot imagine in your wildest dreams.

After all, what do they have to lose?

The Yellow's feels the strong wind in their back that the "protecting hand" has gone away and it's pay time for their crimes.

So, better fight to dead instead of perishing in a Thai jail for years.

The Red's have court order's against their leaders handed out last week, and here the same scenario.

Better fight to dead instead of perishing in a Thai jail for years.

A few day's after the "war", when the majority of the wanted leaders wil have killed themselves, the military will take over the country to restore peace and install a new ARMY governement similar to Burma.

Remember my words:

April 18th = DOOMS DAY

What's more interesting rix is that you started off with an anti-corruption stance against Thaksin, ignoring all the corrupt people like Saprang, Newin, Banharn, and the generals that installed Abhisit into his job. Then you morphed into an anti-corruption stance against all sides, justifying Mr. Clean Abhisit's usurping of Thaksin's elected position job as part of your anti-corruption agenda, while dodging discussion of Abhisit's seedy cronies as off-topic.

Don't know where you dreamt all that up. I've always been anti-corruption, period, providing of course it is substaniated and proved in court. Previous threads concerning activities of the reds you have got upset because my condemnation of Thaksin has not gone on to mention condemnation of every other corrupt Thai person, as if condemnation of Thaksin is condoning others. It is not. That is simply the product of the way your mind works - anyone against Thaksin must be a yellow/Dem/PAD supporter.

And now, the Democrat party has been exposed as corrupt on a massive scale, and the Electoral Commission has recommended its dissolution.

Everyone knew that elements of the Democrat party were corrupt. This wasn't news to me. As for the scale and who the guilty parties are, i'll wait for the Thai justice system to speak on that matter. Those guilty should get punished. I don't share your previously expressed belief that corruption is simply the way it works here and as such we should choose the best of a bad bunch.

Apart from arguing for its own sake, please decide just what it is that you really believe in.

I'm very clear on what i believe in as i'm very clear on what it is you believe in.

Don't know where you dreamt all that up. I've always been anti-corruption, period, providing of course it is substaniated and proved in court. Previous threads concerning activities of the reds you have got upset because my condemnation of Thaksin has not gone on to mention condemnation of every other corrupt Thai person, as if condemnation of Thaksin is condoning others. It is not. That is simply the product of the way your mind works - anyone against Thaksin must be a yellow/Dem/PAD supporter.

Everyone knew that elements of the Democrat party were corrupt. This wasn't news to me. As for the scale and who the guilty parties are, i'll wait for the Thai justice system to speak on that matter. Those guilty should get punished. I don't share your previously expressed belief that corruption is simply the way it works here and as such we should choose the best of a bad bunch.

You certainly have a lot more faith in the Thai courts than most.

As for Abhsits smug defiance, even a pro-goverment newspaper, The Nation, referred to him in these terms.

Russell Hantz... now there's a smug man...

Resorting to personal attacks eh, rix? face it - you have painted yourself into a corner :)

Do you actually know who Russell Hantz is?