Thai Election Commission Calls For Dissolution Of Democrat Party

webfact

Thai election commission calls for dissolution of PM's party

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's election commission (EC) has called for the dissolution of the ruling party over allegations of illegal donations, a party official said Monday, vowing to fight the decision.

"We know about the EC decison's but the case is not over yet. It must be investigated by the attorney general and then go to the constitutional court," said spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks.

The case centres on allegations of an illegal multi-million-dollar donation to the Democrat Party during its 2005 national election campaign, when current Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was deputy leader.

The anti-government Red Shirt movement has pushed election authorities for the decision, which follows the country's deadliest civil unrest in 18 years at the weekend after the authorities cracked down on weeks of protests.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-12

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Election Commission Rule to Recommend Dissolution of Democrats

The Election Commission has ruled to dissolve the Democrats party for Bt258 million baht donation made illegally by TPI Polene. The case will now be forwarded to the Attorney General's Office for its deliberation.

The Opposition claimed TPI Polene had siphoned the money from the capital market and donated it to the Democrats who then used the money to fund its election campaigns in the previous general elections.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-04-12

Urgent: EC resolves to dissolve Democrat

The Election Commission told a press conference that it voted 4:5 to request the Constitution Court's order to dissolve the Democrat Party.

The party was accused of having unlawfully obtained donations from TPI Polene.

In the next step, the EC will pass on the case to the Office of the Attorney-General to consider before sending the case to the Constitution Court.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-12

So, with the Democrats probably gone (as a party), most Dem MPs (only the executive will be banned) will move to a new party or one of the existing smaller parties.

What will the reds do if the ex-Dems and the smaller parties can still form government (ie majority of MPs)?

BOOM

I guess a few people in the privy council are going to pucker up when they see this one.

I think quite a few people are going to have a lot of sleepless nights over this. Political experts out there, does banning the executive have any effect on their majority? Of course, problem is, what did all the money go into funding? Dozens of MP's campaigns I guess.

Now as ridiculous as it sounds, irrespective of what the constitution under the PTP before, don't you think that this should spark a general election?

As I understand it this donation to the Democrat party took place before Abhisit was at the helm. The ship is sinking and it is taking an outstanding captain with it....

Abhisit deserves a better end to his career.

Is it possible that Abhisit won't be banned then?

As I understand it this donation to the Democrat party took place before Abhisit was at the helm. The ship is sinking and it is taking an outstanding captain with it....

He probably had his part in the decision.

I wonder who they will put in charge now?

A comment on UDD Thailand on Facebook is saying that ASTV have announced that the PAD will be rallying on the streets on 18th April (Sunday).

If that turns out to be true, then it could just be the start of something even messier.

It's like a game of chess ...

BOOM

I guess a few people in the privy council are going to pucker up when they see this one.

I think quite a few people are going to have a lot of sleepless nights over this. Political experts out there, does banning the executive have any effect on their majority? Of course, problem is, what did all the money go into funding? Dozens of MP's campaigns I guess.

Now as ridiculous as it sounds, irrespective of what the constitution under the PTP before, don't you think that this should spark a general election?

It won't definitely spark an election.

It is quite possible for the reds to get majority and form government themselves.

Ofcourse they wouldn't do that, seeing they are so against that sort of thing happening.

so it's game over then is it?

Beautiful timing, now they cannot hold back dissolution till the September military promotion rounds are over, which is why they have been desperately seeking to cling to power for the next 6 months.

I can see the next role for the puppet Abhisit is going to be the fall guy for the Saturday Massacre. The army can correctly assert they were only obeying orders, having clearly warned of the fearful consequences of sending them in against the democracy protesters.

He probably had his part in the decision.

I wonder who they will put in charge now?

As far as I understand he was the leader at the time.

I feel a little sad if Abhisit has to go, but you know, he was doing so well ,and the country was running so smoothly, and the you know, times were just rosy whilst he was PM.

He hardly had a chance, but unfortunately after the mess of the last couple of days, I fear he has now become part of the problem more than the solution. It may not be necessarily all his fault, but this is politics not a beauty contest.

Firstly- the hardcore yellows in the government and their supporters will just jump ship to the PAD or a new party. Tulsathit from the Nation is already predicting Chuan Leepkai as PM again.

Secondly- The Constitutional Court has not ruled in favour of the UDD in the past and may not again. Dems have already "expressed confidence" they could prove that the campaign donation scandal, although improper, was not corruption related.

Thirdly- we can't rule out another hardcore yellow coup before that time. With VERY big events possibly coming up, the last thing the yellows want is for power to be in the hands of the anti-establishment people. The PAD has already announced a rally for the 18th- details tomorrow.

From February 14, 2010

BACKGROUND STORY ON DEMOCRAT- EC:

Probe into Democrat funds incomplete: EC

DSI report on legality of TPI Polene donations has many flaws, says poll panel

The Election Commission team looking into the Democrat Party dissolution case yesterday said it still has much work to do, particularly since the report from the Department of Special Investigation contained many holes.

Pratheep Charoonroj, adviser to the EC chairman, said his panel had found many flaws.

The DSI has not concluded whether TPI Polene's Bt258-million donation to the Democrats was obtained lawfully, he said. Nor has it filed a complaint accusing the party of violating the Political Party Act, which could lead to its being disbanded. The panel summoned Suchart Wongananchai, a former DSI deputy director, who had worked on the report, for further questioning last week and will summon him again this week.

He will be asked if the DSI believes TPI Polene illegally siphoned the Bt258 million from the Financial Institutions Development Fund, since the company was still in rehabilitation. If so, the then CEO of TPI, Pracha Leophairatana, would be subject to legal action for violating the Securities and Exchange Act of 1992.

If the money was considered an unlawful donation, and the Democrat Party has used it, the party could be disbanded for violating the Political Party Act, he said.

However, to recommend that the Democrat Party be wound down, the panel would have to investigate whether it intended to violate the law, commit an offence against morality or disturb peace and order.

"If the party had such an intention, it can face action for violating the Political Party Act," Pratheep said.

The panel will have to summon many people for questioning and it must have evidence before reaching a decision and seeking a Constitution Court ruling on the matter.

"With the evidence we have, we cannot forward such a recommendation to the court," he said. He said he could not reveal the list of people to be questioned because they might be asked not to cooperate with the EC - or something may happen to them.

Democrat politicians have insisted the alleged donation never took place. They said money was given to relatives of some party colleagues as part of business dealing, but the party had never obtained it.

Suchart, a former DSI deputy director, disputed the claim that the DSI's report lacked clarity and contained many shortcomings. The report, which was submitted to EC chairman Apichart Sukhagganond in his capacity as the political-party registrar last March, contains more than 7,000 pages, he said.

Pratheep needs to go through the whole report first before finding fault with it, he said.

"Before he concludes whether the DSI investigators submitted a complete report, he needs to examine all the documents. This case is complex and the DSI spent more than a year investigating it," Suchart said.

The EC's criticism of the report needs to be countered publicly in order to prevent the perception that the DSI had made it difficult for the EC to follow up on the case, he added.

-- The Nation 2010-02-14

In my opinion, the ruling elite are crapping themselves in the belief that the Red Shirt movement is gaining momentum, influence and morale. What started as a peaceful demonstration has developed into a rebellion, deeply scaring the ring of corruption which has so dominated Thai society.

Add to this divisions in the military and police and you can see why the Election Commission move offers a respite from the ever-burgeoning movement for democracy and social justice.

Abhisit is, I believe, a very clever man surrounded by not so clever people. I do wonder if this is a master stroke? The EC give their decision a week early! Why? I gues Abhisit has either asked them what the decision is and said announce it, OR he has asked them to deliver a 'guilty' verdict and they can sort it out in the courts in 6 months time. Either way, get everybody out of BKK now! Whatever, he must stop PAD demonstrating on the 18th or the country will end up in Civil War for sure.

I am afraid that the tragedy of all of this could be too much for the Father of the nation.

Firstly- the hardcore yellows in the government and their supporters will just jump ship to the PAD or a new party. Tulsathit from the Nation is already predicting Chuan Leepkai as PM again.

Secondly- The Constitutional Court has not ruled in favour of the UDD in the past and may not again. Dems have already "expressed confidence" they could prove that the campaign donation scandal, although improper, was not corruption related.

Thirdly- we can't rule out another hardcore yellow coup before that time. With VERY big events possibly coming up, the last thing the yellows want is for power to be in the hands of the anti-establishment people. The PAD has already announced a rally for the 18th- details tomorrow.

Well I go with a coup primarily simply because the army couldn't stomach Newin being the PM. Chuan, I hadn't considered. I wouldn't put it past Newin's swiss account getting a big cheque from Dubai.

The normal outcome for the army "failing" to achieve what it supposed to be able to do and being criticised for it publicly is a coup.

I do like your second point. It was improper but not corruption related. I love how language can put a smile on anything. In which case I will wait for the tax man to chase TPI for improper donations.