Where Can I Get A Good Bowl Of Kow Padt?

IanForbes

The open air restaurant in Moonmuang, opposite side of road to Soy 2 in the DK bookshop car park is the very best I have had.

Open daytime only, walk right up to the DK entrance, look to the right and walk over.

25bht with a big plate of Tua Ngok included.

Just poking some fun at the regular crowd who know what I'm really talking about...

Kow_Pat_4.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_served.sized.jpg

My favourite Thai cafe gives me a huge plate full along with a big bowl of soup broth.

69th_birthday_A_2.sized.jpg

You would never get a portion that size in a pub or restaurant.

Usually, you pay 200% more for a little bowlful turned upside down in an effort to represent nouveau cuisine, with a lettuce leaf covering the empty spots on the plate

Personally, Ian, I prefer ข้าวต้มตอนกลางวัน.

This translates to "boiled rice in the daytime" which oddly enough, has a double meaning in Thai :)

See if you can figure out the other translation.

Sex, obviously. :D

ข้าว ต้ม ตอน กลาง วัน

kow tom teun galang wan

rice lesbian something during the day? :D

somebody put me out of my misery.

not to self: Buy Thai alphabet wallchart.

Edited by whiterussian

Personally, Ian, I prefer ข้าวต้มตอนกลางวัน.

This translates to "boiled rice in the daytime" which oddly enough, has a double meaning in Thai :)

See if you can figure out the other translation.

Sex, obviously. :D

ข้าว ต้ม ตอน กลาง วัน

kow tom teun galang wan

rice lesbian something during the day? :D

somebody put me out of my misery.

not to self: Buy Thai alphabet wallchart.

You need to spend a little more time working on your Thai alphabet/vocabulary, Whiterussian.

Edited by Blinky Bill

You need to spend a little more time working on your Thai alphabet, Whiterussian.

Yes indeed.

New years resolution - a new word a day. it's strange how easily Thai is forgotten if you don't practise it. The wife doesn't like teaching me, I'm sure she thinks it might lead to my emancipation! :D

Kow Pat with raisins and saffron.. yum... North African dish that was a staple meal as kid for me. (minus chillies)

I've just discovered these new foods this past month as I try and lose weight and give up booze,

- Kai Kem, Salted Eggs. Hardboiled. Bloody lovely, eaten with

- Platoo Kem, (salty mackerel) - found the nack to eating it without choking on bones.

that and another fish, that I have yet to manage to enjoy 100%...

- A salty mackerel, with other spices, onions and vinegar? a brown gunge.. served in a plastic bag... it's like one huge Anchovy!!!

somtam, fish and eggs for nearly two months now... about 3kg lost :)

mmmm... dreams of pizza.

Edited by whiterussian

The side dishes appear enticing...

Aren't they all? That is just ONE of the things I miss when I go back to Canada. I've really got it too good... and I know it.

What, you don't have beer and whiskey in Canada? That is what we're talking about, right?

"Kow Padt"

I know what you mean, Ian. It's one of the only Thai foods I eat. Hard to cook wrong. Never seen it spelled like that. And is it pronounced with a falling inverse umlaut? :)

That's an oddity I'm not sure about, Frank. All I know is that when I ask them, Thais correct me if I don't put a "D" and a "T" together. It could be translated with either a D or a T and still be right. It is the same with Padt Thai. Kow padt is the one Thai meal I seem to be able to survive on that is both tasty and nutricious... and not too hot. It has everything you need: veggies, an egg, a bit of meat, and the rice. I TRY to make it at home in Canada, but never get the same flavour. MY version is good, but not the same. I guess I just don't have the same spices.

Kow Pat with raisins and saffron.. yum... North African dish that was a staple meal as kid for me. (minus chillies)

Sometime try the fried rice in a pineapple. Very close to what you remember. Pine nuts in there too. Yum.

I'm going to try that. I like to cook, and using different flavours is always an interesting experiment. I could also try shaved cashew nuts for a different flavour.

"Kow Padt"

I know what you mean, Ian. It's one of the only Thai foods I eat. Hard to cook wrong. Never seen it spelled like that. And is it pronounced with a falling inverse umlaut? :D

That's an oddity I'm not sure about, Frank. All I know is that when I ask them, Thais correct me if I don't put a "D" and a "T" together. It could be translated with either a D or a T and still be right. It is the same with Padt Thai. Kow padt is the one Thai meal I seem to be able to survive on that is both tasty and nutricious... and not too hot. It has everything you need: veggies, an egg, a bit of meat, and the rice. I TRY to make it at home in Canada, but never get the same flavour. MY version is good, but not the same. I guess I just don't have the same spices.

I know what you mean Ian. I also try to make various Thai foods while in Oz but am now thinking the differance lies in our NOT using heaps of sugar and MSG, considering all the basic ingredients that go into the stuff :)

On the other hand, its a shame we can't taste exotic dishes like those other two you've shown in your pics. :D

And the standards going up mate..

how DO you do it???

"Kow Padt"

I know what you mean, Ian. It's one of the only Thai foods I eat. Hard to cook wrong. Never seen it spelled like that. And is it pronounced with a falling inverse umlaut? :)

Fried rice=nutritious??? Palm oil, sugar, MSG and who knows what else.

"Kow Padt"

I know what you mean, Ian. It's one of the only Thai foods I eat. Hard to cook wrong. Never seen it spelled like that. And is it pronounced with a falling inverse umlaut? :D

kow padt, its one of the first thai words i learnt and remembered

call me weird, but i just associated kow padt to cow pat, and pictured a cow eating fried rice and having a poo after :)

I order half brown rice and half white. It tastes better than all brown rice and I can pretend that there is a little nutrition. :D

they usually add dark soy sauce to make white rice look brown in fried rice :)

Just poking some fun at the regular crowd who know what I'm really talking about...

Kow_Pat_4.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_served.sized.jpg

My favourite Thai cafe gives me a huge plate full along with a big bowl of soup broth.

Usually, you pay 200% more for a little bowlful turned upside down in an effort to represent nouveau cuisine, with a lettuce leaf covering the empty spots on the plate

i wonder who that was directed at? :):D

i didnt notice any rice husks & sweepings in that pic either :D

Kow_Pat_4.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_served.sized.jpg

i wonder who that was directed at? :):D

i didnt notice any rice husks & sweepings in that pic either :D

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

That's just my experience over the years of ordering something as simple as plain old chicken fried rice in a farang owned pub or restaurant. If you want Thai food you are much better off going to a Thai restaurant regardless if it's a small cafe or somewhere more upmarket.

I must say, poor Ian looks terribly unhealthy on his diet. :D