I-phone 3g/s

BOOKEMDANO

Hello all,

Just wanted to ask if anybody has bought an 'unlocked' Iphone 3G from the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, and managed to successfully wack a regular pay-as-you-go Thai sim card in theirs?

I am a little unsure if 'unblocked' applies to Thailand and just wanted to check first before buying one that this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Bookem'

My iPhone 3G was originally acquired in UK locked to O2 to whom I had to pay 15 GBP (IIRC) for 'factory' unlocking.

It works fine in Thailand with an AIS PAYG (12Call) SIM but make sure firstly that you buy one of their good data packages (Internet Lover is the best value unless you go unlimited) in order to avoid 1 Baht/min EDGE/GPRS charges.

Additionally (unless you buy one of the unlimited data packages) you should set your iPhone to use data services only when you want it to do so (i.e. keep EDGE and 3G turned off by default).

My iPhone 3G was originally acquired in UK locked to O2 to whom I had to pay 15 GBP (IIRC) for 'factory' unlocking.

It works fine in Thailand with an AIS PAYG (12Call) SIM but make sure firstly that you buy one of their good data packages (Internet Lover is the best value unless you go unlimited) in order to avoid 1 Baht/min EDGE/GPRS charges.

Additionally (unless you buy one of the unlimited data packages) you should set your iPhone to use data services only when you want it to do so (i.e. keep EDGE and 3G turned off by default).

Thanks,

So as long as it's factory unlocked it shouldn't be a problem putting a 12call sim card in there then.

I did have one other question, I would like to get the tgf one too and have a friend who is selling theirs as he is getting an upgrade soon. He says this one is unlocked but didn't state if it was factory unlocked. Is there a difference?

Bookem'

Thanks,

So as long as it's factory unlocked it shouldn't be a problem putting a 12call sim card in there then.

I did have one other question, I would like to get the tgf one too and have a friend who is selling theirs as he is getting an upgrade soon. He says this one is unlocked but didn't state if it was factory unlocked. Is there a difference?

Bookem'

Yes. Factory unlocked = good. Not factory unlocked = bad. If you upgrade to the latest iPhone OS those iPhones that were not factory unlocked will re-lock again, and there is no way to unlock them. Factory unlocked phones just stay unlocked when you upgrade the software. Only buy factory unlocked. Very important.

You can test your friend's phone - if it works with different SIM cards from different providers, and it is on iPhone OS 3.1.3 (the latest) - then it's factory unlocked. If it's not on the latest OS, upgrade via iTunes first. But note that this might brick your friend's phone if it wasn't factory unlocked.

If you wait for the hacking community to hack the newest OS release for the iPhones then you won't risk locking your phone. I have a locked phone from the US (cuz that's how the stupid US rolls). It's one of the first 3G's and I haven't had any problems software unlocking it. I might have to wait a couple of weeks for them to hack the OS to make sure it's safe but it's not that big a deal to me. It's true that a factory unlocked phone is much friendlier. Have you considered just purchasing the iPhone through True? At least then you'll get a warranty and support in case something goes wrong. Plus, True's phones are already unlocked. I myself am considering getting the 4G phone from True once it comes out.

Question for you boffins. At the moment True 3G is free as they're in the testing phase. I searched but could not find out how much it will cost.

My question is: If, for example, True charge 100 baht per megabyte download and I'm listening to a radio stream at 32kbps - how much will it cost me to listen for one hour? (to and from school trip)

Mick

Question for you boffins. At the moment True 3G is free as they're in the testing phase. I searched but could not find out how much it will cost.

My question is: If, for example, True charge 100 baht per megabyte download and I'm listening to a radio stream at 32kbps - how much will it cost me to listen for one hour? (to and from school trip)

Mick

What do you mean by True 3G is free? I have an unlimited data plan for 600 baht / month (iPhone 3GS). So it's not free.

Anyway, it's 14MB/hour, Google is your friend, here's the instructions :)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+32kbps+to+MB+per+hour

Mick

What do you mean by True 3G is free? I have an unlimited data plan for 600 baht / month (iPhone 3GS). So it's not free.

Anyway, it's 14MB/hour, Google is your friend, here's the instructions :)

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+32kbps+to+MB+per+hour

No point paying by the hour for a 3G service defies the point. Better off as above paying the unlimited data fee and really enjoying the 3G service without cost worries.

• 2 weeks later...
No point paying by the hour for a 3G service defies the point. Better off as above paying the unlimited data fee and really enjoying the 3G service without cost worries.

Is there an unlimited data package available? I've got the 699 baht per month Wi-Fi/EDGE/GPRS package (on prepaid), but it only includes 1GB of 3G data.

In Canada cell phones do not use an SIM card. Can an IPhone purchased in Canada be used in LOS with a plan from 1 2 Call?? I do not want to pay those roaming charges !!! Thanks

Edited by seedy

In Canada cell phones do not use an SIM card. Can an IPhone purchased in Canada be used in LOS with a plan from 1 2 Call?? I do not want to pay those roaming charges !!! Thanks

Even Canadian iPhones have SIM cards. There are no non-GSM iPhones out there as of this time.

You need to jailbreak and unlock which depending on your firmware version might not be possible at this time.

Even better, maybe they have proper consumer protection laws in Canada, so you can ask your provider to unlock (not jailbreak!!) your phone for you. In many places around the world, providers are obligated to unlock phones after a certain period of time, or for a fee, like $100 or so. A provider unlock will be forever, so that would be your best option by far. Just call customer service and ask them to do it. Remember to ask for an unlock. Don't mention a jailbreak 'cause that will only piss them off.

Edited by nikster

Even Canadian iPhones have SIM cards. There are no non-GSM iPhones out there as of this time.

Thanks for the reply. I have had cell fones for years in Canada, had the back of my Motorola V9M just this morning, and can not see a SIM card. Is it hidden behind the circuit board? Even with the battery out, no card to be seen.

Thanks for the reply. I have had cell fones for years in Canada, had the back of my Motorola V9M just this morning, and can not see a SIM card. Is it hidden behind the circuit board? Even with the battery out, no card to be seen.

On the American continent they have used a lot of CDMA networks, which is not compatible with GSM, which has been the de-facto standard around the globe since the early 90's. All GSM-phones (and now GSM+3G UMTS) use SIM-cards.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I sent an email to Telus here re: this situation, their reply follows:

The TELUS iPhone is a 3G+ device that uses SIM card. Please be made aware that the iPhone from TELUS is locked to our service and will reject any non-TELUS SIM card.

I have emailed back to them, asking if they will unlock while I am in LOS and re-lock when I return to Canada. I put my account on 'Vacation Dis-Connect' each year anyway. Awaiting an answer.

Just received an email from Telus, which follows:

TELUS is unable to provide the handset unlocking service to your iPhone. However, I know there are a lot of the cellular phone vendors/dealers that might provide this kind of handset unlocking service with a fee.

So that's that - at least from this carrier.

And now for plan B.

• 3 weeks later...
is anyone here even getting 3G service on their phones?

yes, my iPhone has a True Move sim card (Baht 599 + VAT per month) unlimited data on a 3G basis, but 3G seems to be only available in central urban areas....in outer areas drops down to Edge connection....

I said "Canadian iPhones". A Motorola is not an iPhone... Canada has some CDMA networks & CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, in that case the phone is hard-locked to the carrier. There's no way to use it with another carrier.

I have a software unlocked 3GS that worked fine on 3G, until I downgraded the service.

As Nikster said, it's really important that any phone you buy has not been upgraded to the latest software (3.1.3). There were reports that 3.1.2 with an updated baseband wouldn't work either, though I don't know if they're isolated incidents or? Mine worked fine.

If you're somewhat technically inclined it can save you money. Otherwise, a factory unlocked phone is the way to go.

CDMA - Verizon (US - CDMA) is rumored to get a version. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I said "Canadian iPhones". A Motorola is not an iPhone... Canada has some CDMA networks & CDMA doesn't use SIM cards, in that case the phone is hard-locked to the carrier. There's no way to use it with another carrier.

Nikster - Are the phones hard-locked by IMEI number at the factory? It seems this kills an entire niche of travelers, or depending on one's perspective, allows the company to reap profits in roaming charges.

I know very little of CDMA networks. Does the signal travel farther?

Just curious. I considered switching years ago (10 or so) but never did find substantial reason to.

Nikster - Are the phones hard-locked by IMEI number at the factory? It seems this kills an entire niche of travelers, or depending on one's perspective, allows the company to reap profits in roaming charges.

I know very little of CDMA networks. Does the signal travel farther?

Just curious. I considered switching years ago (10 or so) but never did find substantial reason to.

I said CDMA phones, I don't even know if they have an IMEI number. The difference is: With GSM and GSM 3G networks, you get a SIM card, thats your phone number, and you can put it in any phone you like. Great! With CDMA, you get your phone, that's your phone number, and that's it. CDMA isn't used very much so if you want to travel with your phone it is not for you. CDMA networks are usually not compatible with each other, and there seem to be no roaming agreements. Probably because there are so few to begin with, all of Europe is GSM (it's the law). As for technical details, I don't think it matters very much. CDMA actually describes the technology used to implement the radio, and 3G UMTS is using an extended version of that called WCDMA. So as a technology, CDMA definitely won. As a network standard, it definitely lost to GSM/UMTS.