Thai Foreign Minister Slams International Community Over Crisis

webfact

Does he really expect anyone to take him seriously when he commits the infamous Hitler comparison debate flaw?

They say that about uncotrolled Internet discussions - differences of opinion spiral into Hitler comparisons.

And here is Kasit, Thailand's finance minister no less, supposedly a man of education and substance, making such an utter fool of himself on the world stage.

Foreign Minister, actually (the Finance Minister is competent and credible imo). This is what you get when you have the army creating a government coalition.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the name Thaksin comes up, the cries of "criminal" "terrorist" "murderer" are heard loud and clear ---In Thailand---and on ex-pat forums in particular.

What the rest of the world sees is a rich man who was convicted of "conflict of interest" by the Thai courts in a very hostile enviorment. Lots of charges lots of accusations...not much in the way of convictions. I think half the politicians in the free world have been accused of conflicts of interest at one time or another---some have been convicted. Thaksin was only convicted of a relatively minor offense and a "white collar" one at that. Hardly in the Hitler, Stalin, Polpot league.

Of course facts and reality have little to do with any of this....it's just colorful politics....

A poll taken in the US showed that about 7% of people in the US think George Bush and Dick Cheney arranged the attack on the world trade center....they also believe that

Elvis is alive and hiding out on a S. Pacific island.

What an irony that the "Democratic" party is now facing dissolution for what amounts to election fraud. What goes around comes around as they say... :)

This is coming from the Yellow man who was up on stage at the blocked International airport.

The one that many people call a "terrorist" for helping to shut down Bangkok airports.

How can Kasit say these things given what he did and what he supported ?

I guess he is concerned that many people had video camera's, mobile phone camera's, camera's and the world has seen via Facebook, YouTube and the other social media just exactly did happen. The world can watch www.uddthailand.com even if Thai people are blocked by media oppression. Many people have seen everything that really happened on Saturday via YouTube and Facebook. No hiding place in 2010. They can compare that with what the state run media reported and then can judge if any bias or propaganda is being forced upon the people.

It seems the world is no longer afraid of reporting the real truth and their opinions of the situation. Kind of means they are ignoring anything Kasit says now ? perhaps why he is angry ?

Australian TV tonight is doing a "no holds barred" look into Thailand, the reporter is quoted as saying he probably will never be able to visit Thailand again. Link below :

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...-thai-politics/

Boy THAT will be interesting!!

Yes, the coup was illegal. Yes, Kasit's an idiot and probably not much better than Thaksin. Yes, there is plenty of corruption in Thailand.

But Thaksin was charged with laws based on the 1997 constitution and there were no changes by the coup junta to the judiciary that convicted him. He was as guilty as hel_l, and you can't deny that.

Thaksin is one corrupt SOB who stole money off the country. He fooled many in the N/NE with his cash handouts to buy their support, but he did very little that helped them in the longer term.

By supporting Thaksin, you are simply supporting corruption.

By supporting Thaksin, you are just supporting every other corrupt politician and business man in Thailand.

This thread is about the foreign ministry's complete inability to get virtually ANYONE to agree with the situation in Thailand vis a vis Thaksin.

If everything is so 100% watertight in terms of his conviction, why hasn't the Foreign Ministry submitted the evidence to all the relevant Embassies and governments worldwide to garner global support for the Thai legal position and have him extradited to Thailand?

Is it possible they don't want to risk governments having to make a public statement that they believe the charges to be politically motivated? Is it possible that they don't want to risk a public statement from a government that they don't recognise the current government because of the coup?

To get international co-operation on extraditing people you either need a huge amount of global power, or complete moral legitimacy within your government and judiciary. Thailand has neither.

It isn't that I believe they would issue statements such as this, however, all it would take is 1 government to say we don't recognise the charges in say Europe, and then the government would have a massive credibility problem. The reason the FM hasn't tried to extradite him, is because they believe they can't risk a foreign government not supporting their request.

I'm sure everything is watertight against Thaksin. It probably opens a pandora's box for most of the other politicians though.

I would also suspect that most foreign governments know exactly what goes on in Thailand. (Not why, just what)

But governments rarely say much against other governments. If they do it's very balanced and diplomatic, not really taking sides and usually about as strong as "Please sort your mess out".

Most of the below reactions are all a bit confusing! Kasit a terrorist? Maybe so, but at least during the airport seizure NO people were killed, where as this is the second Songkran in a row, where Thai people are killed, because of violence instigated by a coward hiding in an "unknown location". Comparing Thaksin to Hitler or Stalin is quite over the top, but instead compare him to criminals like Hun Sen or the Burmese Junta, killing their citizens to increase their own power. Did Kasit do that? How about Thaksin? We all know the same answer here I guess...

My dilemma is that I am was raised in a liberal, free country in western Europe, and that I would scream if demonstrations were handled in the way they are here. I would support these demonstrations in a democratic country. Here the story is very different though. Thaksin is still THE reason the red shirts are demonstrating. That has nothing to do with democracy, but with power and especially money, Thaksins money!

Finally, it is my perception that the Army, and not the government, handled the demonstrations completely wrong. They are the ones that should be blamed.

Yes, the coup was illegal. Yes, Kasit's an idiot and probably not much better than Thaksin. Yes, there is plenty of corruption in Thailand.

But Thaksin was charged with laws based on the 1997 constitution and there were no changes by the coup junta to the judiciary that convicted him. He was as guilty as hel_l, and you can't deny that.

Thaksin is one corrupt SOB who stole money off the country. He fooled many in the N/NE with his cash handouts to buy their support, but he did very little that helped them in the longer term.

By supporting Thaksin, you are simply supporting corruption.

By supporting Thaksin, you are just supporting every other corrupt politician and business man in Thailand.

Nobody of us "support Thaksin".....but how may real terrorist and criminal Thailand dont live go back in their country because " this is thailand soil and the other contry cannot interfer whit internal thailand affair?"...how many time we read this word from thai governament?

Edited by oceano

In thinking about the Hitler comparison, the first thing that comes to mind is the cultural genocide of 2500-5000 people dead in three months due to recreational preferences.

Love can heal the situation in the end.

I applaud Kasit for taking a stand on the international stage.

Mr. Shinawatra's Karma will catch up with him before long in my humble opinion.

Anyone else notice the similarity between the Thai words Songkran (Thai New Year) and Songkram (war)? I was, tongue-in-cheek, wondering if perhaps some of the reds were a little confused about this, two years in a row and all.

Be well all.

Namaste, :)

Dylan

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the beginning of the end. Thailand's government has now publicly acknowledged that other governments have NO respect for it. Civilised nations are not partial to governments that come to power by way of military coups. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Foreign Minister Kasit has provided some startling honest insight that should be a jolt of hardpolitik for the Thaksin hating/red bashing legion of arrogant TV members. Kasit has basically shown Thailand's government to be weak and with wavering unreliable support. How can Thailand expect cooperation from foreign governments now? Does Kasit have a short memory? While he apparently cheered on the airport seizure, foreign governments were asking for Thai assistance to protect their nationals and for order during the PAD events. When the well respected German Ambassador to Thailand was publicly insulted by the Phuket governor what did Kasit do? Nothing. When the Russian Ambassador asked for help on the assaults of its citizens, what was Kasit's ministry response? What has Thailand's response been to the pleadings from multiple foreign ambassadors? Inaction.

This must be very painful for some of Thai Visa's red bashers to read. I have repeatedly pointed out that Thaksin was being allowed to circulate because no one had any use for the current government. How salient then the lament of Kasit that Thailand was "not getting any international cooperation at all" over Thaksin's case, saying even Interpol "just simply refused to work with us." Gee. How come some of us could see this, but the Thaksin obsessives could not?

When I made the point in February that general Anapong had been summoned to the USA and warned, some scoffed but now we see a further vindication as Kasit has asked the Obama administration for help. I wonder why?

How desperate is the current Thai government?

Thailand deputy premier Trirong Suwannakiri, who was also at the forum, warned that if the current crisis raged out of control, the military could stage a coup to restore order.

Great way to win the support of the governments that have so far failed to support you by "warning" of another coup.

And now the genie is out of the bottle.

He said any resolution to the turmoil might see the role of the revered monarchy revamped with greater involvement in the political process of the impoverished rural poor, who are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government.

This is called opening Pandora's box. As soon as any discussion of the monarchy's role in the political process is started, a process will be started that may have some very unintended consequences.

I also direct the Red Shirt bashers to the part of the statement that acknowledges what the conflict is about; the impoverished rural poor, are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government.

All in all this article should cause some of the more obnoxious members of TV to reconsider their positions and to perhaps undertake some serious reconsideration of their previous statements and positions. Those people are pwnage.

Most of the below reactions are all a bit confusing! Kasit a terrorist? Maybe so, but at least during the airport seizure NO people were killed, where as this is the second Songkran in a row, where Thai people are killed, because of violence instigated by a coward hiding in an "unknown location". Comparing Thaksin to Hitler or Stalin is quite over the top, but instead compare him to criminals like Hun Sen or the Burmese Junta, killing their citizens to increase their own power. Did Kasit do that? How about Thaksin? We all know the same answer here I guess...

My dilemma is that I am was raised in a liberal, free country in western Europe, and that I would scream if demonstrations were handled in the way they are here. I would support these demonstrations in a democratic country. Here the story is very different though. Thaksin is still THE reason the red shirts are demonstrating. That has nothing to do with democracy, but with power and especially money, Thaksins money!

Finally, it is my perception that the Army, and not the government, handled the demonstrations completely wrong. They are the ones that should be blamed.

Yes but the soldier live them do what they want if i remember or not?

You have to understand Journalism in Australia and the biased, sensationalist, grandiose reporting they enjoy. This was not a story about the situation in Thailand, it was about Eric Campbell.

The ABC channel is held in very low regard by the Australian public because of it poor quality, biased journalism.

Have you seen the report yet? I don't think it has even been shown yet. I think your bias is showing.

The commercial channels in Aus are certainly known for their "biased, sensationalist, grandiose reporting", and the ABC is often anti-government, but their international reporting, particularly their investigative reporting, is often some of the best in the world.

I am no Thaksin supporter and find it queer that I have to leap to his defence - well sort of.

The charge from the Foreign Minister seems to be that he is a terrorist. He has never been convicted as such so why should foreign countries exclude him on that basis. In the recent bloodshed he has been smart enough to avoid direct association with the violent invective (yes I know he set it all up and some of his earlier demo stuff might have been inciteful).

It would be laughable for 50% of the countries in the world to exclude him because he is corrupt. They would have to extradite most of their own establishment on that basis. Naturally those countries that think they are relatively clean on the corruption front and have a culture of frowning on it have excluded him.

Also I question whether this Land of Sharks would exclude anyone on the grounds of corruption!

Everyone involved in this shambles seems destined to screw it all up just a little bit further.If this guy isn't replaced before the next assembly of foreign ministers then he is going to find out that he can't do his job anymore, anyway. Just what Abhisit needs right now - incompetent colleagues.

Edited by SantiSuk

Surely Kasit Piromya is the worst person from the current government by a country mile to be commenting on the morality of civil disobedience? Astonishing!

Kasit listens to nobody. He is a loose canon and a major mistake as Foreign Minister. Abhisit wanted Sukhumphand for this job, but Sukhumphand went and got himself elected as Governor of Bangkok and it seems apparent that Abhisit then grabbed the first person who had any experience and that was Kasit.

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the beginning of the end. Thailand's government has now publicly acknowledged that other governments have NO respect for it. Civilised nations are not partial to governments that come to power by way of military coups. Sorry, but that's how it is.

You may forget that there have been elections, but I think foreign governments know better.

I also direct the Red Shirt bashers to the part of the statement that acknowledges what the conflict is about; the impoverished rural poor, are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government.

As much as the red shirt supporters on TV want to think this is about the poor, it is not.

It is a corrupt billionaire (that is using the poor) against anyone that is against him (corrupt or not).

You have to understand Journalism in Australia and the biased, sensationalist, grandiose reporting they enjoy. This was not a story about the situation in Thailand, it was about Eric Campbell.

The ABC channel is held in very low regard by the Australian public because of it poor quality, biased journalism.

Have you seen the report yet? I don't think it has even been shown yet. I think your bias is showing.

The commercial channels in Aus are certainly known for their "biased, sensationalist, grandiose reporting", and the ABC is often anti-government, but their international reporting, particularly their investigative reporting, is often some of the best in the world.

The general public will not see it until tonight. ABC reporting amongst the best in world? Who are you trying to kid.

All in all this article should cause some of the more obnoxious members of TV to reconsider their positions and to perhaps undertake some serious reconsideration of their previous statements and positions. Those people are pwnage.

Exactly the whole tone and direction of the TV debate has been set by obsessive Thaksin haters who point blank refuse to see he is a minor player in the drama. The real driving force is the mass refusal of the rural poor to be at the bottom of the Thai apartheid system for ever & ever. Thaksin saw this fundamental change, and directly initiated policies that would not simply alter the short term material wellbeing of the rural poor but also gave them hope via his economic initiatives that some prosperity would percolate down to them. Crucially he did not have a monopoly on that, other figures in Thai politics/society could have focussed on the issues and come up with alternatives. However, they did not - primarily because they do not give the slightest toss about the wellbeing of their fellow citizens and because they benefit from the apartheid system by having a vast supply of cheap labour.

Imagine if a capable individual like Korn had stated that the North and North East (& South of course) needed a vast new system of microcredit availability, he was going to negotiate subsidised loans from the ADB, Japan etc and put a functioning microcredit unit within 5 miles of everyone. Sure it would be only a part of the solution, but it would have shown willing, and indicate that there are people in Government not solely obsessed with their own prospects and those of their immediate 'Family & Friends'.

Exactly the whole tone and direction of the TV debate has been set by obsessive Thaksin haters who point blank refuse to see he is a minor player in the drama. The real driving force is the mass refusal of the rural poor to be at the bottom of the Thai apartheid system for ever & ever. Thaksin saw this fundamental change, and directly initiated policies that would not simply alter the short term material wellbeing of the rural poor but also gave them hope via his economic initiatives that some prosperity would percolate down to them. Crucially he did not have a monopoly on that, other figures in Thai politics/society could have focussed on the issues and come up with alternatives. However, they did not - primarily because they do not give the slightest toss about the wellbeing of their fellow citizens and because they benefit from the apartheid system by having a vast supply of cheap labour.

Imagine if a capable individual like Korn had stated that the North and North East (& South of course) needed a vast new system of microcredit availability, he was going to negotiate subsidised loans from the ADB, Japan etc and put a functioning microcredit unit within 5 miles of everyone. Sure it would be only a part of the solution, but it would have shown willing, and indicate that there are people in Government not solely obsessed with their own prospects and those of their immediate 'Family & Friends'.

Thaksin a minor player in this drama!? What planet are you from?

The general public will not see it until tonight. ABC reporting amongst the best in world? Who are you trying to kid.

ABC reporting is generally of a high standard, the only negative thing i can say is that a fair few of the stories are slanted for dramatic effect.

A lot of it is world class and thats what I am expecting in 7 hours time.

Well said Harry2 (and RockyBeerBelly for that matter).

Many Reds are decent honest people held inthrall of a corrupt and powerful individual (who has some astute traits).

Abhisit is a decent honest person held in thrall of a corrupt and powerful establishment. Now we see that this corrupt and powerful establishment has no astute traits.

You pays your money and you takes your choices. 2 days ago I would not have believed which way my sympathies are turning.

Edited by SantiSuk

I would take other nations stand regarding Taksin as rather revealing. First, it signals that they do not entirely agree with what the Abhisit govt. or perhaps, how this current government was created. So why should they turn Mr. T. in? The Finance Minister can whine all he likes but that will not change foreign governments stance.

Edited by toybits

Foreign Minister Kasit has provided some startling honest insight that should be a jolt of hardpolitik for the Thaksin hating/red bashing legion of arrogant TV members. Kasit has basically shown Thailand's government to be weak and with wavering unreliable support. How can Thailand expect cooperation from foreign governments now? Does Kasit have a short memory? While he apparently cheered on the airport seizure, foreign governments were asking for Thai assistance to protect their nationals and for order during the PAD events. When the well respected German Ambassador to Thailand was publicly insulted by the Phuket governor what did Kasit do? Nothing. When the Russian Ambassador asked for help on the assaults of its citizens, what was Kasit's ministry response? What has Thailand's response been to the pleadings from multiple foreign ambassadors? Inaction.

This must be very painful for some of Thai Visa's red bashers to read. I have repeatedly pointed out that Thaksin was being allowed to circulate because no one had any use for the current government. How salient then the lament of Kasit that Thailand was "not getting any international cooperation at all" over Thaksin's case, saying even Interpol "just simply refused to work with us." Gee. How come some of us could see this, but the Thaksin obsessives could not?

When I made the point in February that general Anapong had been summoned to the USA and warned, some scoffed but now we see a further vindication as Kasit has asked the Obama administration for help. I wonder why?

Thailand deputy premier Trirong Suwannakiri, who was also at the forum, warned that if the current crisis raged out of control, the military could stage a coup to restore order.

Great way to win the support of the governments that have so far failed to support you by "warning" of another coup.

He said any resolution to the turmoil might see the role of the revered monarchy revamped with greater involvement in the political process of the impoverished rural poor, who are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government.

This is called opening Pandora's box. As soon as any discussion of the monarchy's role in the political process is started, a process will be started that may have some very unintended consequences.

I notice no response to this very well written and thought out piece......The anti-red, hysterical anti-Thaksin zealots seem to have gone very quiet just recently.

Where is Jinjthing et al.......making up new flash cards with revised answers?... :)

Someone is still in denial. :) And so they will hang on to the bittter end refusing to admit the truth.

You may forget that there have been elections, but I think foreign governments know better.

As much as the red shirt supporters on TV want to think this is about the poor, it is not.

It is a corrupt billionaire (that is using the poor) against anyone that is against him (corrupt or not).

Yo, Mr. Peter. Yes there was an election that saw Mr. Abhisit come to power. However, do you deny that there was a military coup prior to that which deposed the previously elected government? The deposed government did not resign. It was overthrown by the military. Had Mr. Thaksin finished his mandate and Mr. Abhisit then been elected, there would be no argument, but that was not the case. I know you cannot accept this, but Mr. Abhisit's government is not seen as legitimate by those countries that do not accept coup d'etats. The current scandal with campaign financing doesn't help matters as Mr. Abhisit's party is accused of some of the same crimes as Mr. Thaksin's.

Still in denial? The statement the impoverished rural poor, are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government is not attributed to a Red Shirt. :D Read the article again.

Someone is still in denial. :) And so they will hang on to the bittter end refusing to admit the truth.

Yo, Mr. Peter. Yes there was an election that saw Mr. Abhisit come to power. However, do you deny that there was a military coup prior to that which deposed the previously elected government? The deposed government did not resign. It was overthrown by the military. Had Mr. Thaksin finished his mandate and Mr. Abhisit then been elected, there would be no argument, but that was not the case. I know you cannot accept this, but Mr. Abhisit's government is not seen as legitimate by those countries that do not accept coup d'etats. The current scandal with campaign financing doesn't help matters as Mr. Abhisit's party is accused of some of the same crimes as Mr. Thaksin's.

Still in denial? The statement the impoverished rural poor, are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government is not attributed to a Red Shirt. :D Read the article again.

There was no military coup that deposed an elected government.

Check your facts.

In 2006 Thaksin dissolved parliament and called a new election.

Thaksin could not form government after the election, and in fact, resigned 2 days after the election.

The Constitution Court invalidated the election.

Thaksin was *appointed* care taker PM by the King.

New elections were not held in the time frame required (6 months after the previous election).

New elections were scheduled by Thaksin in October (8 months after the previous election).

The coup occurred in September.

edit: I am not excusing the coup, just pointing out some facts.

Edited by anotherpeter

A very good post.

Be wary of a yellow back coup now. Kasit saying this is as you say the open admission that the whole propaganda against Thaksin for 5 years now is all falling to pieces. The government is seen by the world as illegitimate and nobody backs them.

The agenda is now a yellow backed coup and the implementation of "New Politics" where the Thai people cannot vote for the majority control of the government so it is said.

Yellows want an appointed by the Elite "majority" rule it seems and I expect a full scale onslaught in the media how "politics has failed" - when it fact it was all started because Democracy was working and a coup was held to remove Democracy.

Kasit appears to be hinting a new coup is going to be attempted and that "New Politics" is going to be attempted to be forced on the Thai people. The signals are all there in his "article".

I notice no response to this very well written and thought out piece......The anti-red, hysterical anti-Thaksin zealots seem to have gone very quiet just recently.

Where is Jinjthing et al.......making up new flash cards with revised answers?... :)

I notice that the pro-Thaksin zealots do a lot of selective reading.

No, there was an election which saw PPP come to power and Abhisit left as the opposition.

The courts then dissolved the PPP.

There was a parliamentary coup then backed by the Elite and Abhisit was thrust forward as the new PM, in a move against the wishes of the majority of the people (based on election results).

Military coup - failed.

Parliamentary coup - failed.

So it looks like its going to be another attempted Military coup. The last thing any of the yellows want now is an election, so its likely all out to push a coup to happen before an election, just like last time (elections due Oct and coup in Sept).