Thai Foreign Minister Slams International Community Over Crisis

webfact

Thai FM slams international community over crisis

by P. Parameswaran

WASHINGTON (AFP) -- Thailand's foreign minister lashed out at the global community Monday for failing to take action against fugitive ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, whom he blamed for the country's deadly political violence.

"Everyone is washing their hands but he is a bloody terrorist," said Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya in unusually blunt language, citing nations such as Russia and Germany for turning a blind eye over Thaksin's graft conviction and allowing him in.

He also cited Dubai, which the billionaire Thaksin had reportedly used as a longtime base after being overthrown in a military coup in 2006, as well as Nicaragua and Montenegro, both of which he recently visited.

"There is this act of interference by third countries -- how can the Russians allow him there for two days or the Germans before that?"

"Everyone is playing naive, closing their eyes and so on, simply because he was once an elected leader," Kasit said.

He likened Thaksin to an Al-Qaeda terrorist and past "elected" leaders such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini.

"Hitler was elected, Mussolini was elected, even Stalin could say that he was elected also but what did they do to their very society? This is the question," the top Thai diplomat said at a meeting with a small group of reporters and think-tank heads.

Kasit, in Washington attending a landmark nuclear summit called by President Barack Obama, accused Thaksin of orchestrating demonstrations by his so-called Red Shirt supporters last week that led to 21 deaths in the bloodiest political unrest in 18 years.

Thaksin, 60, exiled himself to avoid imprisonment on a 2008 corruption conviction and occasionally addressed the Red Shirts through Internet video links.

In a second US statement of concern on the Thai crisis in two days, Obama and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday they were "deeply saddened" by the deadly violence grappling the Southeast Asian nation.

The United States and Thailand are treaty allies.

Washington renewed its "call for both the opposition and the government to return to the negotiating table and to seek agreement on a way forward that strengthens your democracy and the rule of law," Clinton said.

"The challenges you are facing cannot be resolved by force, but only by dialogue. We believe firmly that a negotiated solution is possible."

Kasit lamented that Thailand was "not getting any international cooperation at all" over Thaksin's case, saying even Interpol "just simply refused to work with us."

He blamed the ousted premier for using extralegal means to topple Thailand's current democratically elected administration.

The Red Shirts charge that Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's current government is illegitimate because it came to power in 2008 after a court ousted Thaksin allies from their positions.

Thailand deputy premier Trirong Suwannakiri, who was also at the Washington forum, warned that if the current crisis raged out of control, the military could stage a coup to restore order.

Kasit said any negotiated resolution to the turmoil might see the role of the revered monarchy revamped with greater involvement in the political process of the impoverished rural poor, who are up in arms against the nation's military-backed government.

"It is a process we have to go through and we should be brave enough to talk about even the taboo subject of the institution of monarchy."

The monarchy's role in Thailand's recent political upheaval remains one of the most sensitive subjects in the kingdom.

The Thai crisis took a new twist Monday as Thailand's election body called for the dissolution of the ruling party, piling pressure on embattled Prime Minister Abhisit.

The move centers on allegations of an illegal multimillion-dollar donation to the Democrat Party during 2005 elections.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-13

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He likened Thaksin to an Al-Qaeda terrorist and past "elected" leaders such as Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini.

"Hitler was elected, Mussolini was elected, even Stalin could say that he was elected also but what did they do to their very society? This is the question," the top Thai diplomat said at a meeting with a small group of reporters and think tank heads.

Kasit, in Washington attending a landmark nuclear summit called by President Barack Obama, accused Thaksin of orchestrating demonstrations by his so-called Red Shirt supporters last week that led to 21 deaths in the bloodiest political unrest in 18 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this guy is a little upset it seems.

I often used to post how it is no government will arrest him when the crying about hime would appear here.The Ambassadore says that Thaksin travels and no one will arrest him.

You know why Mr. Ambassador?

Yes you do.

Because no government recognizes the charges from the current Thai government or in fact the current Thai government itself as being legitimate.

Maybe the over 20 coups have something to do with that.

Does he really expect anyone to take him seriously when he commits the infamous Hitler comparison debate flaw?

Think for a minute.... Think of Thailand's future, the entrenched hatred that seems to be building and which is in need of RELIEF, not stimulus.

What good is bringing back Thaksin and arresting him gonna do for reconciling the hatred between the 2 groups?

Edited by FreedomDude

First the US has to jail Kasit who is a genuine terrorist. Then we can talk.

Anyway, bring back Thaksin TODAY and he'll be freed by the reds and he'll be more dangerous for Kasit & friends in Thailand than outside.

Edited by geovalin

This is coming from the Yellow man who was up on stage at the blocked International airport.

The one that many people call a "terrorist" for helping to shut down Bangkok airports.

How can Kasit say these things given what he did and what he supported ?

I guess he is concerned that many people had video camera's, mobile phone camera's, camera's and the world has seen via Facebook, YouTube and the other social media just exactly did happen. The world can watch www.uddthailand.com even if Thai people are blocked by media oppression. Many people have seen everything that really happened on Saturday via YouTube and Facebook. No hiding place in 2010. They can compare that with what the state run media reported and then can judge if any bias or propaganda is being forced upon the people.

It seems the world is no longer afraid of reporting the real truth and their opinions of the situation. Kind of means they are ignoring anything Kasit says now ? perhaps why he is angry ?

Australian TV tonight is doing a "no holds barred" look into Thailand, the reporter is quoted as saying he probably will never be able to visit Thailand again. Link below :

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...-thai-politics/

Edited by LevelHead

While the world demanded for more democracy in Thailand, it "allows Thaksin to run loose as if nothing happens," he said.

Look to your own backyard before blaming others, minister. It was Thailand that allowed him out to visit the Olympics for Christ's sake. :)

I think for many foreign gov'ts, it's difficult to figure out what Thailand is all about. They basically allowed Thaksin to leave the country when they shouldn't (I mean, attending the Olympics is not really a good reason for leaving). They underestimated him and he has caused problems they didn't anticipate. He was supposed to go away quietly. They have been unable to track him well, nor come up with an international reason for arrest which will stick.

For most gov'ts, I am sure this is about much fun as getting into the middle of a messy divorce.

Had Thaksin returned and gone to jail, I doubt that the outcome would be different. The protests would be in front of a prison and he would probably be getting more sympathy than now.

And by the way, Bin Laden, has probably had an equal amount of protection from various countries. I might also add that Thailand doesn't have a stellar reputation when it comes to apprehending criminals.

democratically elected administration in thailand not ' when the elected party was in power they made it impossibul and kicked them out and took over. the bull--sh--it you see and hear is so <deleted>--ed up its un real the reds are wanting the chance to vote again thats all and if they win again will the same thing happen dont like the party thats elected kick them out and take over again this is all to much .

i for one want to get my family out of thailand but cant get in to bkk to get visas

democratically elected administration in thailand not ' when the elected party was in power they made it impossibul and kicked them out and took over. the bull--sh--it you see and hear is so <deleted>--ed up its un real the reds are wanting the chance to vote again thats all and if they win again will the same thing happen dont like the party thats elected kick them out and take over again this is all to much .

i for one want to get my family out of thailand but cant get in to bkk to get visas

Good luck with the visas.

Call your embassy and perhaps you can quicken the visas.

I got out about 1 year ago with my wife and children and I am much more relaxed.

Stay safe all.

I think for many foreign gov'ts, it's difficult to figure out what Thailand is all about. They basically allowed Thaksin to leave the country when they shouldn't (I mean, attending the Olympics is not really a good reason for leaving). They underestimated him and he has caused problems they didn't anticipate. He was supposed to go away quietly. They have been unable to track him well, nor come up with an international reason for arrest which will stick.

For most gov'ts, I am sure this is about much fun as getting into the middle of a messy divorce.

Had Thaksin returned and gone to jail, I doubt that the outcome would be different. The protests would be in front of a prison and he would probably be getting more sympathy than now.

And by the way, Bin Laden, has probably had an equal amount of protection from various countries. I might also add that Thailand doesn't have a stellar reputation when it comes to apprehending criminals.

Which goes to support that :

If you kick out an elected leader by a military coup, gather evidence under the coup, convict him in coup changed courts - that the world will not recognize fully any convictions where the evidence is made under coup control.

The "psychological warfare" against Thaksin has failed as this is now 2010, not 1910. People in the world are no longer willing to allow military generals to convict politicians so easily without raising very large question marks over "supporting evidence"

The coup was totally wrong and in fact has allowed Thaksin to become partially devoid of any blame (apart from on TVF and in Yellow controlled media - you cannot make evidence under a coup appointed government and convict in coup changed courts without the real world out there questioning not only the legitimacy but also the reasons why ). The Yellows went too far in their anti-Thaksin campaign of disgracing him and and dragging him through the mud in order to kill all his support, all they did was make his support become larger.

This may be why some top yellows are noticeably absent from public view at the moment, I think someone has been giving them a kicking.

The ABC programme tonight will be interesting, wonder how deep they will go into the crisis and the problems.

Tonight 8pm Australian time on ABC, all about the Thai political problems and root causes of them

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/

Mr Kasit will be anti-ABC tomorrow methinks.

Edited by LevelHead

Irrespective of the laws in Thailand, if I were a member of a foreign country's government , I would look at the situation and have a very strong feeling that all the charges were politically motivated, the guy was removed by a coup, the coup leaders jigged the laws, they convicted him but let him out so that he could retain some level of dignity. And I think Thaksin was a bent as a nine bob note.

Kasit really doesn't even have a clear legal standpoint from the developed world's perspective. Then add in the fact he was himself involved in the PAD protests (yet faces no charges) and you have a real head scratcher from a foreign persepective.

He is actually lucky that foreign airlines or some wiseass lawyer doesn't sue him for damages.

Kasit, you and your party are just a poor losing politician and whiner who blames others for your own non-sense problems.

If indeed all was and is genuine, nothing like this crisis would have occurred in the first place.

This is coming from the Yellow man who was up on stage at the blocked International airport.

The one that many people call a "terrorist" for helping to shut down Bangkok airports.

I guess he is concerned that many people had video camera's, mobile phone camera's, camera's and the world has seen via Facebook, YouTube and the other social media just exactly did happen. The world can watch www.uddthailand.com even if Thai people are blocked by media oppression. Many people have seen everything that really happened on Saturday via YouTube and Facebook. No hiding place in 2010. They can compare that with what the state run media reported and then can judge if any bias or propaganda is being forced upon the people.

It seems the world is no longer afraid of reporting the real truth and their opinions of the situation. Kind of means they are ignoring anything Kasit says now ? perhaps why he is angry ?

Australian TV tonight is doing a "no holds barred" look into Thailand, the reporter is quoted as saying he probably will never be able to visit Thailand again. Link below :

That is the reason they don't take the yellow man serious, and we have to be very lucky that the rest off the world (include Interpol)don't take this Micky Mouse politics serious.

Does he really expect anyone to take him seriously when he commits the infamous Hitler comparison debate flaw?

Think for a minute.... Think of Thailand's future, the entrenched hatred that seems to be building and which is in need of RELIEF, not stimulus.

What good is bringing back Thaksin and arresting him gonna do for reconciling the hatred between the 2 groups?

all the thai power mungers are the same all on the take they are all robbing bugers thaksin as well thats normal in thailand but thaksin did try to help the poor and his countery i have not seen any one else help the poor only the rich the rich dont want thaksin as he wants to tax them to help the poor. the underdog will win as they have nothing to lose only life and the rich have all there shit to pay for and there servents who they pay so littel for averige 3000 per month if they are lucky .i have seen a rich thai pay 1500 and food thats a pound a day thats a crime would not work in the uk

all the thai power mungers are the same all on the take they are all robbing bugers thaksin as well thats normal in thailand but thaksin did try to help the poor and his countery i have not seen any one else help the poor only the rich the rich dont want thaksin as he wants to tax them to help the poor. the underdog will win as they have nothing to lose only life and the rich have all there shit to pay for and there servents who they pay so littel for averige 3000 per month if they are lucky .i have seen a rich thai pay 1500 and food thats a pound a day thats a crime would not work in the uk

Thai culture doesn't allow debate with the pooyai. Kasit speaks and he truly believes that others are hanging on his every word.

He thinks he has just made perfectly reasoned and logical arguements on a global stage. He is probably at home stroking his ego thinking "That'll show 'em", whilst everyone else in the room is sitting around thinking "Who the hel_l does this guy think he is" or "Where did they find that fruitloop?"

Yes, the coup was illegal. Yes, Kasit's an idiot and probably not much better than Thaksin. Yes, there is plenty of corruption in Thailand.

But Thaksin was charged with laws based on the 1997 constitution and there were no changes by the coup junta to the judiciary that convicted him. He was as guilty as hel_l, and you can't deny that.

Thaksin is one corrupt SOB who stole money off the country. He fooled many in the N/NE with his cash handouts to buy their support, but he did very little that helped them in the longer term.

By supporting Thaksin, you are simply supporting corruption.

By supporting Thaksin, you are just supporting every other corrupt politician and business man in Thailand.

You have to understand Journalism in Australia and the biased, sensationalist, grandiose reporting they enjoy. This was not a story about the situation in Thailand, it was about Eric Campbell.

The ABC channel is held in very low regard by the Australian public because of it poor quality, biased journalism.

"WASHINGTON (AFP) -- Thailand's Foreign Minister lashed out at the international community Monday for failing to take action against fugitive ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, whom he blamed for the country's political unrest"

Hold on a minute.....what action has Thailand taken against in trying to get Khun T back to Thailand ?

Foreign countries will only take actions, such as arrest and extradition, if so requested to do so, therefore has Thailand requested arrest and extradition from any of these countries ??

Would suggest the esteemed foreign minister doesnt understand international protocol regarding situations like this, and once again it appears foreigners are being blamed for all things bad in Thailand.

Khun Foreign Minister...please formally request these countries to arrest said person and initiate extradition proceedings from Thailand, I am sure they will gladly help you

I'd much prefer to liken Kasit to an Al Qaeda terrorist. Shutting down international airports and calling it "a lot of fun" is much more like an act of terrorism. Discusting little man that he is!

Right - All Kasit is doing is digging him deeper into the hole that he has made for himself. It's up to the international community what it thinks, and making Hitler comparisons makes him look so silly.

They say that about uncotrolled Internet discussions - differences of opinion spiral into Hitler comparisons.

And here is Kasit, Thailand's finance minister no less, supposedly a man of education and substance, making such an utter fool of himself on the world stage.

Edited by clockworkorange

Yes, the coup was illegal. Yes, Kasit's an idiot and probably not much better than Thaksin. Yes, there is plenty of corruption in Thailand.

But Thaksin was charged with laws based on the 1997 constitution and there were no changes by the coup junta to the judiciary that convicted him. He was as guilty as hel_l, and you can't deny that.

Thaksin is one corrupt SOB who stole money off the country. He fooled many in the N/NE with his cash handouts to buy their support, but he did very little that helped them in the longer term.

By supporting Thaksin, you are simply supporting corruption.

By supporting Thaksin, you are just supporting every other corrupt politician and business man in Thailand.

This thread is about the foreign ministry's complete inability to get virtually ANYONE to agree with the situation in Thailand vis a vis Thaksin.

If everything is so 100% watertight in terms of his conviction, why hasn't the Foreign Ministry submitted the evidence to all the relevant Embassies and governments worldwide to garner global support for the Thai legal position and have him extradited to Thailand?

Is it possible they don't want to risk governments having to make a public statement that they believe the charges to be politically motivated? Is it possible that they don't want to risk a public statement from a government that they don't recognise the current government because of the coup?

To get international co-operation on extraditing people you either need a huge amount of global power, or complete moral legitimacy within your government and judiciary. Thailand has neither.

It isn't that I believe they would issue statements such as this, however, all it would take is 1 government to say we don't recognise the charges in say Europe, and then the government would have a massive credibility problem. The reason the FM hasn't tried to extradite him, is because they believe they can't risk a foreign government not supporting their request.

Edited by Thai at Heart

He is not that wrong. However it remains a question what purpose this statement has.

As for Germany, Thaksin used illegal ways and contacts and visa.

The German ambassador made it clear a few weeks ago, that Thaksin would not be able to stay in Germany legally.