If Not Thailand, Where?

tlongdon

Which country offers the best alternative to living in Thailand?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been living in Bangkok since 2000, working on overseas projects. There's going to come a point when I need to seriously consider settling down - and I'm getting an itchy feeling (not helped by recent events) that it's not going to be Thailand in the long-term.

From what you know of surrounding countries, which would you choose as your best alternative to Thailand. And why?

Friend of mine who spent several years in many parts of Thailand LOVES Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

It SO depends on what you are looking for, overall.

Cambodia living requires a look at the movie: "City of Ghosts", with Matt Dillon and James Caan.

Very good flick!

Good Luck!

Does anyone know which of these is more foreigner friendly when it comes to starting a bussiness, as well as visa friendly.

That's a very good question, as I'd be looking to set up a business there too.

Vietnam sounds encouraging, and I know it's business-friendly. Laos is beautiful, and has a thousand opportunities that Thailand had maybe 60 years ago. I hadn't thought of the Philippines, because it seems far too wild.

Thank you all for your input so far.

Cambodia although I wouldn't describe it as particularly stable. Good investment opportunities especially if the international airport ever gets built in Sihanoukville.

The country should take off Thai style over the next decade I just hope Phnom Penh is not ruined along the way.

Edited by smokie36

Vietnam. Still cheapish a lot of farang's for imfo. And great food, Give it a try. For a week or two, Id be there but have Thai wife. One draw back motor Cy's every where.

lol Vietnam food verry bad and viet people trye to rip you off more then Thailand

You've been eating in the wrong places and hanging out with the wrong people.

Edit: I guess you've only been to HCMC?

Edited by PattayaParent

malaysia------------------very friendly and all speak english also not " rip off " culture.

have programme for settlement and own land etc. also 3 month visa at border--------------was there dec 2009 with thai lady-----------------she got 1 month visa though. got feeling no corruption either and ex-british colony with strong links to uk still.

one example-----------------proper road works --------------------i know strange but proper signs etc. not just big holes and no warning. oh yes in kl for eg motorists stick to lanes and indicate !!

I sometimes think of Laos for retirement, as I speak the language, but would miss the city life. Having said that, Penang's worth a look (for retirement), but very quiet I think. Haven't been to KL for 30+ years. Any city that builds the Petronas Towers would worry me a bit.

Everyone I've talked to loved Saigon and basically said more chance being ripped off in thailand than vietnam. I guess I will find out soon enough. :)

I've only been to HCMC as a tourist so don't know it well enough to like it or dislike it but Ha Noi is great.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

I moved to Bangkok for 10 years (so far) after just a weekend visit... So with that stroke of luck, maybe I'll find the next place as easily.

I'll try a mini tour of Hanoi, HCMC, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, and maybe some places in Malaysia (I've been to Penang before... not sure). Vientiane is beautiful, it will be worth another look.

Cambodia is a kewl place and people are really lovely!! :)

Yep I feel the same way. :D

I spent 8 months in S'ville, 03. Many things to love, but the thieving got to me. Steal your shoes from your doorstep!Don't leave anything in your moto basket when you pop into a shop including your helmet, it'll be gone when you return! Violent crime also on a regular basis. Coming back to Thailansd was like stepping out of the dark ages into civilization. It could have changed since then????

I spent 8 months in S'ville, 03. Many things to love, but the thieving got to me. Steal your shoes from your doorstep!Don't leave anything in your moto basket when you pop into a shop including your helmet, it'll be gone when you return! Violent crime also on a regular basis. Coming back to Thailansd was like stepping out of the dark ages into civilization. It could have changed since then????

I can only speak for Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Really lovely places and so much building\investment going on. I suppose downside is prices will rise over time, but if it improves the people's lives than well worth it. I often wonder what if the khmer rouge didnt destroy most of Cambodia - what it would be like today? Maybe on the same level as Thailand?

Everyone I've talked to loved Saigon and basically said more chance being ripped off in thailand than vietnam. I guess I will find out soon enough. :)

I've only been to HCMC as a tourist so don't know it well enough to like it or dislike it but Ha Noi is great.

Vietnam would be a great place if not for the Vietnamese. They'll sell you anything that's not nailed down and pull the nails out of everything else. Stray dogs, $4 for a liter of water, and more sex than anyone has ever tried to sell me in Thailand.

I keep saying I won't go back unless I get paid but I keep getting paid to go. It's the last place in the world I'd want to live.

Vietnam would be a great place if not for the Vietnamese. They'll sell you anything that's not nailed down and pull the nails out of everything else. Stray dogs, $4 for a liter of water, and more sex than anyone has ever tried to sell me in Thailand.

I keep saying I won't go back unless I get paid but I keep getting paid to go. It's the last place in the world I'd want to live.

Where do you live and work?

I've never experienced any of that.

Stray dogs go on the barbie.

A bottle of water 25,000 Dong ($1.25)

Sorry you don't like sex.