Drought Could Hit 45 Thai Provinces

webfact

Drought could hit 45 provinces

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- As many as 45 provinces are facing a drought risk this year, as the mercury soars all over the country.

"During the past week, the average rainfall has been just 8.8 millimetres," said Water Resources Department directorgeneral Kasemsan Chinnavaso.

He said the country's large dams were filled to just 57 per cent of their capacity on average.

Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Phrae, Udon Thani, Sukhothai, Phetchabun, Surin, Si Sa Ket, Amnat Charoen, Maha Sarakham and Sa Kaew are facing a huge drought risk.

Another 33 provinces are facing a medium risk.

They are Lamphun, Chiang Mai, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Tak, Nakhon Sawan, Buri Ram, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nong Khai, Yasothon, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Kalasin, Sakon Nakhon, Mukdahan, Loei, Roi Et, Chon Buri, Chanthaburi, Trat, Chachoengsao, Prachin Buri, Lop Buri, Chai Nat, Chumphon, Ranong, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Trang, Phang Nga and Phuket.

"When drought hit 71 provinces in 2005, the damage was about Bt7.5 billion," Kasemsan added.

Meteorological Department deputy directorgeneral Somchai Baimuang revealed that the temperature had continued to soar, touching 43 degrees Celsius in Tak and Kanchanaburi.

The temperature in Bangkok has hit 39 degrees on some days.

"Such hot weather can adversely affect the elderly. They may suffer heat stroke," Somchai said. "They should therefore stay indoors during the day."

He said construction workers or anyone working outdoors should avoid wearing darkcoloured clothes.

"Dark colours absorb light and heat," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 201-04-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Current weather in Thailand, plus forecasts: weather.thaivisa.com

Why say "could hit....." ? It's already happening, and has been for months.

I saw it coming in August of '09, when there was far too little rain for that time of year.

Meanwhile, Thais are throwing water as fast as they can bucket it out - all over streets and sidewalks, ...or at least they are up here in northernmost Thailand. day after day of Songkran. How about 1 day of water throwing?

Although during a drought water shouldn't be wasted, the actual amount thrown during songkran, is completely insignificant when you consider how much water is used daily for agriculture and manufacturing purposes. It's something like 300 liters for every pair of jeans made and 20 liters to make a plastic bottle that holds 1 liter of Coke. I can't remember the exact figures but for 1 kg of rice produced something like 200 liters of water must be used for the irrigation of that rice.

Drought could hit 45 provinces.....

That happen already.Here in Cha-am this year almost no rain at all.

But during Songklan everybody forget about and complain after Songklan.

Thai style....so,relax.

One thing at a time, lets get this right, all depends on the colour of the shirt , lets try blue for rain , not red for blood.

That is what you get when you build dams without understanding an ecosystem. The entire problem with this country is that they first do and than think. In the end they can always point towards somebody else. It is either China or even bettet the problem is caused by Thaksin. teh Bangkok people are not so smart so they do believe a lot my 2 year old son would not take for granted.

:)

It is ridiculous that they let the tourists in Pattaya play Songkran for 2 weeks

Just imagine how much water is wasted.

There may be in for a shock by the end of the week if the volume of water in Lake Maprachan is anything to measure it by.

I have never seen it this empty before Songkran

3 days ago

post-37831-1271220568_thumb.jpg

Today

post-37831-1271221389_thumb.jpg

I know a typical thai response is to do nothing but two things they could easliy (okay maybe not easy) do immediately:

1. Shorten water festivals from three to one day only..no exceptions!

2. Make it illegal (okay I know that phrase means nothing w/o enforcement) to use garden hoses. I can deal with the bukets or containers for throwing but to see hoses continuiously running by the roadside is absolutely both criminal and ignorant or is it stupidity....

CBl

Although during a drought water shouldn't be wasted, the actual amount thrown during songkran, is completely insignificant when you consider how much water is used daily for agriculture and manufacturing purposes. It's something like 300 liters for every pair of jeans made and 20 liters to make a plastic bottle that holds 1 liter of Coke. I can't remember the exact figures but for 1 kg of rice produced something like 200 liters of water must be used for the irrigation of that rice.

Interesting statistics

Brian

Things become very significant when any individual calculates how much water they use each day compared to how much water they NEED to use each day.

Every drop counts in a 'drought' situation...especially since nobody can tell the future.

Just because commerce & industry uses 'x' amount of water, does not mean that individuals are free from being 'water wasters' in any way. Two 'wrongs' do not make a 'right'.

Thre hundred liters for jeans and 20 liters for a plastic bottle. Really! Some basic stats please, or is this just your estimate. Where is Al Gore?

That is what you get when you build dams without understanding an ecosystem. The entire problem with this country is that they first do and than think. In the end they can always point towards somebody else. It is either China or even bettet the problem is caused by Thaksin. teh Bangkok people are not so smart so they do believe a lot my 2 year old son would not take for granted.

We have to understand who builds the dam !

In most of the cases -the people in power - and if u investigate more ,you will find some of them in construction business -

So now you get the clue ?

And ofcourse, its an open secret ,the commisssions are involved from the construction company !

They are mostly "literate uneducated" !

They dont love their country - they love the money !

Now you see , even we all know there are drought allover - farmers without waters- we put millions of gallons of water on the golf range and golf field to entertain the rich and elite class !

And neither from the government nor from any class there are any pledges to public for not to play with waters this Songkran !

Can you imagine how these wasted waters could help the farmland !

Who cares ?????????????????????

Workers outside should wear dark clothes, he said...maybe it's to hot in BKK...

Sure, dark colours absorbing light...

Make the test, sitting with black jeans in the sunlight will hurt you after a few minutes,

a man who have resposibility like him must know that.

Why say "could hit....." ? It's already happening, and has been for months.

I saw it coming in August of '09, when there was far too little rain for that time of year.

Meanwhile, Thais are throwing water as fast as they can bucket it out - all over streets and sidewalks, ...or at least they are up here in northernmost Thailand. day after day of Songkran. How about 1 day of water throwing?

Amazing Thailand. It was never that hot in my eight years living here, the ironic part is that the local "Moon River" is already dry since weeks.

I didn't play the water game this year, because I know that there'll be a huge problem regarding water in a short period of time.

Isn't that a kind of emergency, or let's better say a reason to tell the locals not to waste water, only the old way to show respect to the elders? SomNam Na.............

Edited by Sisaketmike