Bangkok Bank Visa/atm Card Does Not Work In Cambodia

I left Bangkok in a big rush after the deadly fights on Saturday and got the cheapest flight available to someplace I had not been before-Phnom Pehn, Cambodia. I took some money but wanted more.There was no Bangkok Bank AtM close to where I was and I thought I could either get it at the airport or while traveling.Wrong! I can pay for my hotel with my US credit card so I am OK just have to watch what I spend my cash on until the last few days as they don't even have a Bangkok Bank machine at Bangkok airport -I tried to find one when leaving from the airport. I have set aside the money i need to get back-there is an Cambodian exit fee of 25 US and then I have to get a taxi home.

I have tried my Bangkok Bank AM card/visa here, Phnom Pehn, and can't get access to my money. I have several thousand US dollars equivalent in baht so that is not the problem. Can anyone tell me...are the Bangkok Bank ATMs supposed to work out of the country...it has a Plus logo on the back and the Atm machine at the airport listed the plus network as one of their partners. Has anyone successfully used their Bangkok Bank AtM card internationally or more specifically in Cambodia? the tuk tuk drivers here had interesting comments about the current political fighting/crisis in Bangkok, thaksin, and Preah Vreah...I will post their comments when I find a better keyboard-one where all of the capital letters actually work.

if depends on what kind of bangkok bank atm card you have

the new bangkok bank atm cards (with the logo SMART on it) have that special security chip on it that only work on special bangkok bank atm's (with the logo SMART on it) at the moment !!

most other atm's from other thai bank in thailand can not recognice that security chip at the moment and do not work.

the old bangkok bank atm cards (without the logo SMART on it) can be used international

if depends on what kind of bangkok bank atm card you have

the new bangkok bank atm cards (with the logo SMART on it) have that special security chip on it that only work on special bangkok bank atm's (with the logo SMART on it) at the moment !!

most other atm's from other thai bank in thailand can not recognice that security chip at the moment and do not work.

the old bangkok bank atm cards (without the logo SMART on it) can be used international

Exactly right. While security may have been improved they are a pain in the ass trying to get your money especially when Bangkok Bank ATM's are a rare species. Time to change banks....

Just wonder if other Thai banks are planning to go the same route with SMART cards as Bangkok Bank? AS far as I know cards with chips only ie no magnetic strip won't work pretty much anywhere in ATMs. I use KBank mainly.Have the best ATMs and plenty of branches with a Deposit ATM.

It won't have escaped most people that SCB have pretty much a monopoly concession on ATMs and Counters at the airport. Not so in CNX!

I am puzzled as to why you fled the country in the first place, it wasn't like a civil war broke out, there were some deadly but isolated incidents.

I was out drinking in the bars on Saturday night and stayed out until around 4am. I don't go to Khao San Road though.

When I went to Bangkok Bank to get a new ATM card I was told that The Smart (Chip) cards will only work in Bangkok Bank ATM's with the Smart Logo, & with the exception of Malaysia not overseas either, they gave me the option of having one of the old style cards that do work everywhere but as the reason I was getting a new card was because an SCB machine had wiped my old card I went for the new card instead. If you travel allot go back to Bangkok Bank & get an old style card before they phase them out.

Just wonder if other Thai banks are planning to go the same route with SMART cards as Bangkok Bank? AS far as I know cards with chips only ie no magnetic strip won't work pretty much anywhere in ATMs. I use KBank mainly.Have the best ATMs and plenty of branches with a Deposit ATM.

It won't have escaped most people that SCB have pretty much a monopoly concession on ATMs and Counters at the airport. Not so in CNX!

All Thai Credit Cards are Chip & Pin All UK Banks issue Debit cards with Chip & Pin, as do most banks in most western countries. Its only a matter of time before All Thai Banks follow suit and modify their machines and cards, how long who knows.

Edited by Stjohnm

When you were at the airport (Bangkok) why didn't you just use a ATM from another Thai bank if you couldn't find a Bangkok Bank ATM? You can get cash from any ATM.

Because they would have charged him 30 baht using another bank. Being cheap isn't really helpful.

When you were at the airport (Bangkok) why didn't you just use a ATM from another Thai bank if you couldn't find a Bangkok Bank ATM? You can get cash from any ATM.

Because they would have charged him 30 baht using another bank. Being cheap isn't really helpful.

I use my Bangkok Bank "Be 1st" ATM card at other Thai bank ATMs all the time and am never charged a fee. Plain vanilla savings account.