Dad Can't Speak Thai, The Kids Can't Speak English

Livinginexile

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do posters think blame needs to be apportioned? I doubt that this scenario was somehow by design.

When kids are brought in to the world, a 'design' as you put it, is a must. If you want to fall through life with no responsibilities, good luck to you, just DON"T HAVE CHILDREN.

Already have 2 lovely well balanced children, thank you, who are enjoying life to the full, keen to learn, but most of the credit goes to their wonderful mother. A mother who I did not design - she came ready made. For my part I am rewarded by the unconditional love displayed by my children, naturally, also not by design....... :)

You on the other hand think deaf people should not be allowed children.......sad.....who designed you?

Not sure what the deaf comment is in refference to? I don't recall ever saying that. I do however have issues with people with dissabilities, which will probably be passed on to their children, having kids, if that's not selfish I don't know what is, but I don't recall ever mentioning that either though.

Anyway my critisizm wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at your defence of the person being described by the OP. You immplied it was just an accident he ended up being a shit father, just one of those things, shit happens eh!!

Maybe he encountered an unexpected situation which he was unequipped to deal with..........that makes it his fault then does it?

I have highlighted below the billd766 comment and your response - don't worry I don't think having a selective memory affects your ability to be a good father!!

QUOTE (billd766 @ 2010-04-17 15:31:56) post_snapback.gifI have about 80% hearing in my left ear and 70% in the right ear. Often I have to turn to look at someone who is speaking to me from behind.

I no this is harsh and some people won't like it, but.... perhaps five years ago wasn't such a good time to have a kid then. At your age, you will not be able to be a good, all round parent, as far as I'm concerned. The stuff you can do, you may do very well, but not being able to be the complete package, I think is slightly selfish to say the least

Edited by 473geo

I might be being rather dumb here but something doesn't quite sound right with this story.

As the father speaks no Thai, the parents presumably only speak English at home and normally the kids should develop some English skills just from being around them.

It just seems rather strange that they can't speak a word of English despite being exposed to the language since birth for 8 years (in the case of his eldest child).

It is kind of strange. My daughter is just approaching her 7th birthday. She's had both Thai and English since birth and ( for her age ) is fully bilingual.

I was talking to a lad of about 20 once whose dad was British and mum Thai. When he spoke it wasn't a Thai speaking excellent English. If I closed my eyes I may as well have been talking to a fellow Brit. My wife reported he was the same when he spoke Thai to her right down to the Isaan accent.

Edited by mca

Maybe he encountered an unexpected situation which he was unequipped to deal with..........that makes it his fault then does it?

I have highlighted below the billd766 comment and your response - don't worry I don't think having a selective memory affects your ability to be a good father!!

QUOTE (billd766 @ 2010-04-17 15:31:56) post_snapback.gifI have about 80% hearing in my left ear and 70% in the right ear. Often I have to turn to look at someone who is speaking to me from behind.

I no this is harsh and some people won't like it, but.... perhaps five years ago wasn't such a good time to have a kid then. At your age, you will not be able to be a good, all round parent, as far as I'm concerned. The stuff you can do, you may do very well, but not being able to be the complete package, I think is slightly selfish to say the least

Yes it does make it his fault, 100%. If the unexpected situation you are referring to, is having all his arms and legs chopped off in an accident, perhaps I'll give him a break. An unexpected situation, of less magnitude than that, will never be a good enough excuse to neglect your duty as a parent. There's a lot more to being a dad than sticking your penis somewhere nice. That's what separates men from mangy, street dogs. Well it should do at least!

If you weren't to busy painting the post pretty colours, you may have read that I was referring to his age, (which his deafness was a side affect) not his deafness itself. I do not have a selective memory, I assure you.

I met another English guy today, he said to me ......

I can't ever be a Thai citizen, I can't own land, I will never be allowed to be more than a foreigner here, so why should I make any effort to learn the language or take any responsibility for any children I father here. They don't want me here so @$3& em.

I can sort of understand his point of view (pretty much every other country in the world will offer a spouse/parent citizenship).

The Thai government clearly don't want us here as more than tourists!

Can I also point out to the self righteous brigade that many Thai ladies actively discourage their English-speaking partner from learning ANY Thai, my former gf would go so far as to deliberately tell me wrong words when I was trying to learn, and this is a very common attitude.

Did he really say that?....word for word?. If so he sounds like a bitter one.......he probably goes nuts about foreigners settling in the UK and being unable to speak English.

I can't ever be a Thai citizen, I can't own land, I will never be allowed to be more than a foreigner here, so why should I make any effort to learn the language or take any responsibility for any children I father here.

Sounds like a <deleted> of the highest order in my humble opinion.

Yes it does make it his fault, 100%. If the unexpected situation you are referring to, is having all his arms and legs chopped off in an accident, perhaps I'll give him a break. An unexpected situation, of less magnitude than that, will never be a good enough excuse to neglect your duty as a parent. There's a lot more to being a dad than sticking your penis somewhere nice. That's what separates men from mangy, street dogs. Well it should do at least!

If you weren't to busy painting the post pretty colours, you may have read that I was referring to his age, (which his deafness was a side affect) not his deafness itself. I do not have a selective memory, I assure you.

Dear dear....once again a clumsy attempt to justify your poor logic - if the guy had his arms and legs cut off, does that effect his ability to speak English to the child?? so you are saying you would now give him a break although nothing really has changed in his ability to educate the child......apart from the fact that if he is of a certain age, half deaf, or severely disabled he should in your eyes not have designed his future in the way that he has!!!!

I've a suggestion for you.....firstly.....I will cease responding because you clearly wish to have the last word......

Secondly learn when to stop digging a deeper hole.......and just to let you know, at my age I am allowed to use pretty colours,......or is that not part of your grand design either!!!!

Enjoy growing older and experiencing life, your comments tell me you sure have a great big learning curve ahead........and you appear to think the road remains straight!!!!

i took my daughter to the uk when she was 2.5 years old until she was 3..i worked and she stayed with my mother..she is now fluent in english with a english accent..now all she has to do is learn thai from school which is obviously going to happen surely :)

The only thing is now i feel sorry for her cus she cant understand the kids around her as her brain works in english.

However i notice her english accent is starting to turn into a thai accent :D please nooooooo

i took my daughter to the uk when she was 2.5 years old until she was 3..i worked and she stayed with my mother..she is now fluent in english with a english accent..now all she has to do is learn thai from school which is obviously going to happen surely :)

The only thing is now i feel sorry for her cus she cant understand the kids around her as her brain works in english.

However i notice her english accent is starting to turn into a thai accent :D please nooooooo

Surely her mother will teach her Thai?

Being so young its unavoidable that she will speak English with a Thai accent.

Don't worry about it though - I know a couple of Thais who went to America when they were a bit older (for the education) and they now speak with an American accent!

Being so young its unavoidable that she will speak English with a Thai accent.

Don't worry about it though - I know a couple of Thais who went to America when they were a bit older (for the education) and they now speak with an American accent!

Yes but she stays with me and i can only speak basic thai right now.( her mum is working away)

mind you she has only just started kg1 over here at 3 and can already do the ABC and thai equivalent gor gai or something like that..Your right they learn fast and its amazing how good kids memories are at such a young age.

Why exactly is it unavoidable a child of three speak English with a thai accent? My 3 yr old certainly does not

Newcastle,Durham,Cumbria,Lancashire,Yorkshire,Birmingham,Lincolnshire,Norfolk,

Essex, East End London, West End London,Cornwall,Australia, USA,

Scotland,Ireland, Wales...................................

Need I Go on.....all these places speak English with a very distinct local or regional dialect/accent..........I guess I can add Thailand to the list then!!

Edited by 473geo

Why exactly is it unavoidable a child of three speak English with a thai accent? My 3 yr old certainly does not

Well my daughter has a southern english accent but when she does the ABC its in a thai accent..To avoid it does it mean take her out of school??

Hmmm, ok and it's because he's English that there should be low expectations of him?

I've only spent four weeks with my girlfriends two lovely daughters who are 9 and 6.

Does that mean you have only been with her for four weeks? If that's the case, those children shouldn't be calling you Pappa, in my opinion. You seem like a nice bloke who's doing right by them, but being a father figure to kids you have known for four weeks is not good, lets face the facts there is a chance things could go belly up any time. Where does that leave the kids? Without a Pappa, AGAIN!

No, we've been together for almost a year. We wanted to be as sure as possible that we had something that was going to last, well as sure as anyone can be, before involving the kids. I take this very seriously and have not entered into it lightly at all. I fully understand, and share, the concerns you have expressed. The kids, until October last year, lived with her sister, now their Mother has joined them and I visit when I can.

As with any relationship there is always a chance for it to go belly up, and we are both aware of the difficulties but with love, communication and hard work I think we'll be OK.

In which case I beg your pardon. Good luck to you.

Thanks, I didn't feel the need to explain that in my original post but, seen from the perspective you mentioned, perhaps I should have given more background in the first instance.

I appreciate your reply.

Need I Go on.....all these places speak English with a very distinct local or regional dialect/accent..........I guess I can add Thailand to the list then!!

And; East London Bengali, London Caribbean, Estuary English (the South East Thames Estuary) all have recognisable accents and occasionally different grammar.

India, Pakistan, Malaysia, South Africa, New Zealand, Canada (although I have trouble distinguishing it until they say 'out' :)) Noo Yoik, Boston etc. etc. etc.

I met another English guy today, he said to me ......

I can't ever be a Thai citizen, I can't own land, I will never be allowed to be more than a foreigner here, so why should I make any effort to learn the language or take any responsibility for any children I father here. They don't want me here so @$3& em.

I can sort of understand his point of view (pretty much every other country in the world will offer a spouse/parent citizenship).

The Thai government clearly don't want us here as more than tourists!

Can I also point out to the self righteous brigade that many Thai ladies actively discourage their English-speaking partner from learning ANY Thai, my former gf would go so far as to deliberately tell me wrong words when I was trying to learn, and this is a very common attitude.

I've seen it too, but not in any women I would consider fit to be the mother of my children. It ought to be a warning sign that something is not quite right if your spouse is trying to exclude you from what people around you are saying.

Well my daughter has a southern english accent but when she does the ABC its in a thai accent..To avoid it does it mean take her out of school??

No need to take her out of school - but you can practice English ABC with her using your native accent.

You don't need to tell her that the Thai accent is 'wrong' - she will notice by herself that you don't sound the same and if she keeps getting exposed to your native way of speaking, and to English language media of various kinds, she will soon put two and two together and become aware that the Thai accent when speaking English is not ideal - except perhaps when speaking English with other Thais... which may become a necessity in her professional life. My wife speaks passable English with me but if she uses that more proper English accent with her colleagues they get the deer-in-headlights look, so when speaking to them she 'thai-ifies'.

A problem your daughter may well be facing is that her Thai classmates might make fun of her native English accent, so it's possible she is consciously 'thai-ifying' her accent not to stick out too much.

If she keeps getting exposed to proper English though, she will have the last laugh when her mates still speak in staccato with a Thai tone on each syllable, can't produce more than half a consonant sound at the end of a syllable, build their sentences from Thai grammar and their pronunciation of 'peanuts' sounds suspiciously like another word.

And; East London Bengali, London Caribbean, Estuary English (the South East Thames Estuary) all have recognisable accents and occasionally different grammar.

India, Pakistan, Malaysia, South Africa, New Zealand, Canada (although I have trouble distinguishing it until they say 'out' :) ) Noo Yoik, Boston etc. etc. etc.

Yes remember well, having iggs for brickfast in NZ. :D

[name=473geo]

Dear dear....once again a clumsy attempt to justify your poor logic - if the guy had his arms and legs cut off, does that effect his ability to speak English to the child??

Logic is something I take very seriously. Are you telling me someone who has been in an horrific accident is in a position mentally or physically to be a good parent. I'm not saying they would become a bad parent, but their input may well have to be put on hold for a while. I fail to see any logic in why you are giving this man the benefit of the doubt.

apart from the fact that if he is of a certain age, half deaf, or severely disabled he should in your eyes not have designed his future in the way that he has!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that lots of people have children for their own selfish needs. They put their desire for a child before, weather or not they would be good parents. That, I assure you defies logic. Be it that they are the wrong age, have an inability to support them financially, or are severely disabled themselves, or numerous other reasons.

I've a suggestion for you.....firstly.....I will cease responding because you clearly wish to have the last word......

I will continue to put my opinion across, all the time I believe it is valid. If you believe you are so right, and I am so wrong, that you should no longer waist your time discussing it with me, then yes, you should stop responding. I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps you are one of the elderly fathers that I am talking about, and that's why you would rather leave it there. I may be wrong, but I guess we'll never know.

Enjoy growing older and experiencing life, your comments tell me you sure have a great big learning curve ahead

I hope you're right. At 33, and over 9 years in to my first marriage, with no children from any previous relationships, I'm probably in a minority of people married to Thai woman. I'm not saying there's not a lot of people like me out there, because there are, but there's a lot more that aren't.

Neither myself or my wife were natural parents, as a lot of people are, especially woman. I know we've made mistakes and we will continue to do so, but at the end of the day we are both decent people, with our child's best interests to heart. If we weren't going to dedicate our lives to doing the best we could for him, then we wouldn't have had him in the first place. We could have then carried on traveling the world being care free, piss heads. Which thinking about it would have been great, but you can't have it both ways. Be parents or don't. Don't sit your pathetic arse anywhere in the middle. Again I'll clarify, that's not aimed at you but the sack of shit, you and lots of other people, bizarrely, are defending.

[name=473geo]

Dear dear....once again a clumsy attempt to justify your poor logic - if the guy had his arms and legs cut off, does that effect his ability to speak English to the child??

Logic is something I take very seriously. Are you telling me someone who has been in an horrific accident is in a position mentally or physically to be a good parent. I'm not saying they would become a bad parent, but their input may well have to be put on hold for a while. I fail to see any logic in why you are giving this man the benefit of the doubt.

apart from the fact that if he is of a certain age, half deaf, or severely disabled he should in your eyes not have designed his future in the way that he has!!!!

There is no doubt in my mind that lots of people have children for their own selfish needs. They put their desire for a child before, weather or not they would be good parents. That, I assure you defies logic. Be it that they are the wrong age, have an inability to support them financially, or are severely disabled themselves, or numerous other reasons.

I will continue to put my opinion across, all the time I believe it is valid. If you believe you are so right, and I am so wrong, that you should no longer waist your time discussing it with me, then yes, you should stop responding. I have a sneaky feeling that perhaps you are one of the elderly fathers that I am talking about, and that's why you would rather leave it there. I may be wrong, but I guess we'll never know.

Enjoy growing older and experiencing life, your comments tell me you sure have a great big learning curve ahead

I hope you're right. At 33, and over 9 years in to my first marriage, with no children from any previous relationships, I'm probably in a minority of people married to Thai woman. I'm not saying there's not a lot of people like me out there, because there are, but there's a lot more that aren't.

Neither myself or my wife were natural parents, as a lot of people are, especially woman. I know we've made mistakes and we will continue to do so, but at the end of the day we are both decent people, with our child's best interests to heart. If we weren't going to dedicate our lives to doing the best we could for him, then we wouldn't have had him in the first place. We could have then carried on traveling the world being care free, piss heads. Which thinking about it would have been great, but you can't have it both ways. Be parents or don't. Don't sit your pathetic arse anywhere in the middle. Again I'll clarify, that's not aimed at you but the sack of shit, you and lots of other people, bizarrely, are defending.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to create such a lengthy detailed response as per my prediction.

You pigeon hole me fairly incorrectly as far as elderly, I am perhaps top end middle aged but certainly not elderly, I am fit healthy and will remain so for many years. I have been involved in fitness and sport most of my life so I don't creak when I walk just yet!!! Just a few war wounds from a couple of cycle smashes.....one just the other day as it happens, but I always get up and walk away... :)

Let me explain.....it is not the guy I really defend, as you I would expect if he has had the opportunity to teach his children English, and they have shown the slightest inclination to do so......then I agree he should assist in the bilingual education, and in that case he has neglected to do the best for his children.

What I am more concerned with are the cart blanche, acidic remarks, and low tolerance comments to his actions by people on this forum who are not prepared to accept that a one sided report is not usually enough to hang a man. To my mind the vitriolic aggressive posts regarding a man, who let us be in no doubt.....is doing no less than millions other (Thai) fathers in Thailand.......are founded on assumption that he had full control, in order to fuel the verbal tide.

Now please continue.....

Let me explain.....it is not the guy I really defend, as you I would expect if he has had the opportunity to teach his children English, and they have shown the slightest inclination to do so......then I agree he should assist in the bilingual education, and in that case he has neglected to do the best for his children.

To my mind the vitriolic aggressive posts regarding a man, who let us be in no doubt.....is doing no less than millions other (Thai) fathers in Thailand.......are founded on assumption that he had full control, in order to fuel the verbal tide.

Did he have the 'opportunity' to teach. Did he have 'full control' or not.

As well as being a fan of logic, I'm also a huge fan of the law of averages. For someone of your mature years, (no offense, I have no idea what, 'Top end middle aged' means, but I'm guessing it's old) you should no better.

The chances this man didn't have every opportunity to teach his children, and didn't have full control, of his life, (unless you're saying an alcohol problem or an inability to hold down a job are justified reasons for not having full control) are very slim.

This is an internet forum, so we are all only basing our opinions on the information given, and the hypothetical assumption that they are true. Defending this man because he has no judge and jury is a bit pointless.

With my inferior life experience, and my healthy respect for the law of averages, I'll wager, that the man in question, was a despicable waist of space, as are a huge amount of Farang in Thailand. This place will always attract a certain kind of person. You won't help matters by defending them.

To my mind the vitriolic aggressive posts regarding a man, who let us be in no doubt.....is doing no less than millions other (Thai) fathers in Thailand.......are founded on assumption that he had full control, in order to fuel the verbal tide.

Did he have the 'opportunity' to teach. Did he have 'full control' or not.

As well as being a fan of logic, I'm also a huge fan of the law of averages. For someone of your mature years, (no offense, I have no idea what, 'Top end middle aged' means, but I'm guessing it's old) you should no better.

The chances this man didn't have every opportunity to teach his children, and didn't have full control, of his life, (unless you're saying an alcohol problem or an inability to hold down a job are justified reasons for not having full control) are very slim.

This is an internet forum, so we are all only basing our opinions on the information given, and the hypothetical assumption that they are true. Defending this man because he has no judge and jury is a bit pointless.

With my inferior life experience, and my healthy respect for the law of averages, I'll wager, that the man in question, was a despicable waist of space, as are a huge amount of Farang in Thailand. This place will always attract a certain kind of person. You won't help matters by defending them.

I sincerely hope you teach your children to not always see things at face value, but look deeper at times for underlying reasons for the happenings they see and experience as they journey through life. Train them where applicable be tolerant and considerate, to try and understand people rather than criticise, to not judge too quickly,and, above all to not jump to conclusions when not all the facts are known. You can teach them all the perfect English language you wish, but if you do not give them the tools I mention, you will have failed, just as the man you accuse. I really hope you have the ability to take this advice from an 'old' man

nope, just keep talking to her and providing a better model. my child sounds canadian. but then i spend alot of time talking with her.

try starfall.com as well, its fun and probably better than her thai teacher.

it is avoidable

t.s post Today, 2010-04-16 07:47:57
(Boo @ 2010-04-14 19:45:48) *

I never mentioned him talking thai, he is English, why would he communicate with his kids in Thai when he can't even talk to them in English. Hardly a sweeping statement.

if you lack the ability to understand how your speculation regarding a loveless marriage and the fellow being trapped is another of your vapid generalizations I truly pity you and suggest perhaps you are too bigoted to see where you err. You are perhaps as bad as the op in your own way.

The op clearly stated that the man in question spoke no thai & his (he said they were his bio kids) spoke no English so clearly he was not communicating with them in either language but for those who are unable to comprehend my meaning in the quoted post above, why would this man bother to communicate in a language he doesn't speak (Thai) when he clearly doesn't bother to speak with the kids in the language he does (English).

As for the rest of your flame, feel better now. ? :)

yes i do feel better, calling out someone spouting nonsense always feels good.

Correct me if i am wrong, but have you pointed out the part that justifies your assumptions he is trapped in a loveless marriage?

lol, You have made assumptions about me & called me a bigot. I made comment on possible reasons for thi persons disinterest in his kids only. You on the other hand have been insulting & rude. Move on, you clearly have some issues.