Volcanic Ash Cloud Causes European Air Travel Chaos

astral

Suvarnabhumi Airport assists stranded passengers affected by volcano ash cloud in Iceland

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Suvarnabhumi Airport has arranged a space on B1 Floor of the passenger terminal to serve stranded passengers whose flights are postponed as a result of the eruption of volcanic ash in Iceland.

Suvarnabhumi Airport General Manager, Nirandra Theeranartsin stated that the eruption of the volcanic ash cloud in Iceland has caused air space closure in several countries in Scandinavia and northern Europe, resulting in the postponement of about 99 flight schedules from Suvarnabhumi to Europe during 15-18 April.

In order to provide preliminary assistance to the stranded passengers, Mr Nirandra said that an area has been arranged on B1 Floor, close to the future airport link station, as resting zone pending the arrivals of their flights. Necessary facilities such as comfortable lean chairs, computers with the internet, and televisions for edutainment have been installed. Also, the passengers can ask for updated flight information at the passenger information spot, specifically arranged for them. Boxes of food, snacks, beverages and blankets are also being catered for them free of charge.

Passengers can ask for flight information at the call center, 0-2132-1888 around the clock.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-04-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Latest: Closure of German airports extended for another 6 hours until 8pm local time.

My prediction: No flights into or out of Northern Europe today, tomorrow and Wednesday, possibly Thursday as well.

Edited by mrdome

Not sure what to do.

I've been trying to contact emirates in BKK but there number is busy.

I have a flight with them leaving BKK 1am on the 21st. Then stop off in Dubai

and the next leg of the flight is to LHR. Will I be allowed to fly the 1st leg of the flight?

Will they provide accomdation if flights are not leaving for LHR for the 2nd part to LHR.

I have to fly from samui to BKK, so I don't know whether to stay here or make the move

and get the journey started. Any advice appreciated, as I can't get through to emirates.

Thanks

http://www.emirates.com/th/English/about/o...al_updates.aspx

http://www.emirates.com/th/english/images/...m293-560996.pdf

reason for edit: Added another url.

Edited by metisdead

How long is it going to stay?

This is so unexpected. Is it related to global warming?

LOL, it is related to life on this planet, rosaline. There are points where the earth's inner molten core comes to the surface. It is how the landmasses on this planet were formed. And sometimes there is a bit more pressure on these points and just like people, they blow their top. :)

Nobody knows how long this is going to stay like this. Possibly months, possibly more than 1 year. If the neighboring volcano gets triggered as happened before in the 19th century, we're really in for it.

BNONews: ANSA: Italy re-closes northern airspace until at least 8 pm local time.

Wow, that was quick. Blink and you'll miss it re-openings/closures. I imagine someone going to the restroom and missing their flight departure because the airport was allowed to operate for 10 minutes :)

Just a bit of black humor to deal with this situation.

VOLCANIC ERUPTION

Some 500 Thais stranded in Austria

By The Nation

VIENNA: -- Thai Embassy in Vienna had provided assistance to some 500 Thais stranded at the airport following volcanic ash from last week's eruption in Iceland.

Foreign Ministry's deputy spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said Monday that a report from the Thai embassy in Vienna that some 500 Thais were stranded as the result from the eruption.

He did not reveal the assistance provided to the affected Thais.

Commenting on Thais affected in other foreign countries, Thani said that the Thai embassies are instructed to provide assistance to them.

"In case their visas are expired, the embassy would talk to the countries to extend the visas for them," he said.

Several European countries have closed their airspace following the eruption.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-19

citizen33, you are asking too much. Nobody knows the exact conditions on Wednesday (does not look too good though) as it depends on the wind direction and other factors.

I'd have thought it was obvious that I wasn't expecting Thai IA staff to be able to foretell the future. My gripe was more about the absence of up-to-date information and instructions on how to proceed. Five minutes ago the latest news update on ash on the Thai IA website was dated 17th April (i.e. two days old), which contrasts rather unfavorably with the updates every 5 minutes on the Emirates website. It is also clear that Thai haven't increased the staffing in their call centre sufficiently. Long waits in an automated system are no good for foreigners using an expensive hotel telephone or prepaid one-2-one card. Luckily I was using our house 'phone when I rang.

Not sure what to do.

and the next leg of the flight is to LHR. Will I be allowed to fly the 1st leg of the flight?

Will they provide accomdation if flights are not leaving for LHR for the 2nd part to LHR.

I have to fly from samui to BKK, so I don't know whether to stay here or make the move

and get the journey started. Any advice appreciated, as I can't get through to emirates.

Thanks

Can't be 100% sure but I work with someone whose sister is here on holiday in the same position as you. She's also due to fly Emirates back to UK via Dubai tomorrow. She's been told that the next flight she will get with Emirates won't be till the beginning of May what with the backlog and all. She certainly wasn't advised to fly the first leg to Dubai as there will not be any free accomodation there (or here for that matter). Her other alternative was to forfeit her Emirates flight and get another single ticket back to Athens, then boat up to Rome, then train up to France, and over by ferry. Seriously! I've got a friend of a friend in the Phillipines who has been told exactly the same thing and, as he is desperate to get back to work, he's going to do this Athens overland option - should arrive back next Monday if he leaves this Thursday. Like I say, this is just what I've heard so don't take it as concrete. Sorry I can't be more optimistic

About 100 passengers stranded in Thailand on volcanic eruption

By The Nation

About 100 passengers are stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport following the shutdown of some European airports due to the volcanic eruption.

According to Nirun Teeranartsin, Suvarnabhumi Airport director, since the eruption five days ago, a number of 115 flights from Bangkok to affected cities and vice versa have been cancelled.

The airport has turned a corner of B1 floor as a temporary shelter for the stranded passengers, where they are treated with temporary beds, towels, drinks, and internet.

Nirun noted that the cancellation does not financially affect Airports of Thailand, which operates the airport, as these stranded passengers still have to board planes back to their hometowns.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-19

BNONews:

EUROCONTROL: EUROPEAN AIR TRAFFIC SITUATION UPDATE

As of 10:30 CET on 19 April 2010, EUROCONTROL has the following update to make with regard to the situation of air traffic in Europe:

EUROCONTROL expects between 8,000-9,000 flights to take place today in European airspace. On a normal Monday, we would expect 28,000.

At the current time, air traffic control services are not being provided to civil aircraft in the major part of European airspace.

This includes Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, northern Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Switzerland, parts of Ukraine and the UK.

In some of these areas the upper airspace has been made available, depending on the observed and forecasted area of ash contamination

Approximately 30% of the total number of flights are expected to take place today in Europe, representing 50% of the total continent area.

citizen33, you are asking too much. Nobody knows the exact conditions on Wednesday (does not look too good though) as it depends on the wind direction and other factors.

I'd have thought it was obvious that I wasn't expecting Thai IA staff to be able to foretell the future. My gripe was more about the absence of up-to-date information and instructions on how to proceed. Five minutes ago the latest news update on ash on the Thai IA website was dated 17th April (i.e. two days old), which contrasts rather unfavorably with the updates every 5 minutes on the Emirates website. It is also clear that Thai haven't increased the staffing in their call centre sufficiently. Long waits in an automated system are no good for foreigners using an expensive hotel telephone or prepaid one-2-one card. Luckily I was using our house 'phone when I rang.

Ok, got you. It is a very difficult situation.

Latest: Austria reopened its airspace in the morning

eurocontrol: PRESS UPDATE 10.30 CET: between 8,000-9,000 flights to take place today. On a normal Monday, we would expect 28,000.

eurocontrol: OPEN: South Europe, incl. PT ES, parts of IT and FR, Balkans, BG GR and TR +parts of northern Europe (NO, parts of SE)

eurocontrol: Airspace CLOSED 10.30 CET: BE CZ DK EE FI DE HU IR NL, north IT, parts of FR, PO RO SL CH, parts of UA and UK

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Can't be 100% sure but I work with someone whose sister is here on holiday in the same position as you. She's also due to fly Emirates back to UK via Dubai tomorrow. She's been told that the next flight she will get with Emirates won't be till the beginning of May what with the backlog and all. She certainly wasn't advised to fly the first leg to Dubai as there will not be any free accomodation there (or here for that matter). Her other alternative was to forfeit her Emirates flight and get another single ticket back to Athens, then boat up to Rome, then train up to France, and over by ferry. Seriously! I've got a friend of a friend in the Phillipines who has been told exactly the same thing and, as he is desperate to get back to work, he's going to do this Athens overland option - should arrive back next Monday if he leaves this Thursday. Like I say, this is just what I've heard so don't take it as concrete. Sorry I can't be more optimistic

I may not take the 1st leg of the flight as I don't want, to be stranded in Dubai. I have had no luck with contacting emirates. Will the

1st leg of the journey still be valid if i have not spoken to them about cancelling. Or will it be considered as a 'no show' and the whole ticket

become invalid? This is my delema. ""Should I stay or should I go now"". Abit of humour concidering the situation..lol

BBC news have just reported that the UK government are talking with the Spanish government (it seems Madrid is open) about using Madrid as a hub to fly Brits from their long haul destinations and then it'll be bus train and ship back home.

The Royal Navy are sending 2 aircraft carriers, one is going to Spain to collect a regiment returning from Afghanistan, the other is heading for a channel port.

They interviewed on guy who had spent EUR1,400 on a taxi from Barcelona to Calais and was now in a queue with about 500 other people trying to get on a boat!