Vietnamese-made Musical Instruments In Bangkok?

properjob

I know from talking to people around the world that in Vietnam they make very good mandolins and other stringed instruments, very reasonably-priced. They are advertised in huge numbers on eBay.

I imagine there must be a music shop in Bangkok that stocks such instruments - in particular mandolins or mandolas.

I have been to many music stores in different parts of the city but never seen anything like the Vietnamese instruments that interest me.

Does anyone have any information that would help me find such mandolins/mandolas in Bangkok?

Thanks,

pj

I don't know if this well help, but there is a shop on Soi Ekkamai that makes and repairs violins. They also have other string instruments. They might be able to point you in the right direction. If you go down the soi from Sukumvit they are on the right hand side just before Big C. It's probably about a third of a mile from Sukumvit. I have walked by it many times and it looks like a nice shop.

I don't know if this well help, but there is a shop on Soi Ekkamai that makes and repairs violins. They also have other string instruments. They might be able to point you in the right direction. If you go down the soi from Sukumvit they are on the right hand side just before Big C. It's probably about a third of a mile from Sukumvit. I have walked by it many times and it looks like a nice shop.

Thanks PadFoot, I don't live too far from there, so I'll take a walk along there and have a look for myself. I'll let you know if I find anything.

ron

I went along to Ekkamai and, thanks to PadFoot's excellent directions, quickly found the shop he referred to. It has an interesting selection of violins, violas, cellos and double bases, a few quite good-looking guitars, and three mandolins. Unfortunately the two mandolins which were for sale were Chinese-made and rather agricultural in quality terms.

It's a shop worth a look for anyone with a need for classical instruments, and they do advertise that they also build and repair instruments.

So how about mandolins in Bangkok? I am sure there must be a mother-lode of mandolins hiding somewhere. Anyone got any ideas?

ron

Edited by properjob