An Embarrassing Fiasco For Thai Government

webfact

So many people bashing Abhisit, yet he is one of very few in this country who are actually very well educated and best fit to actually govern.

He is one of very few who actually studied and graduated rather then having mommy and daddy pay 25k per semester per year to be passed.

He is not actually that highly educated. He has a BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Oxford University, which on payment of the appropriate fee was upgraded to an M Phil, and an Honorary Doctorate in Law from Ramkhamhaeng University.

Two simple questions for you:

Who do you think paid "25k per semester per year" for him to attend Eton and Oxford if it wasn't "mommy and daddy"?

Why do you think there is any correlation between a theoretical education and fitness to govern? George W and Prince Charles are similary educated and live off the family money, but it would take a brave man to call either of them intelligent!

Eton and Oxbridge no doubt instilled in him his 'right' to lead and Mummy and Daddy paid all the bills - now he is leading to disaster - go to the country and get a mandate and show a MODICUM of leadership - but his Army bunker handlers won't allow that will they? can't have democracy geting in the way of their snouts in the trough

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... the 2800 extra judicial killings of which more than half had no link to the drugs trade and included women (including at least one who was pregnant) and children.

Not sure if I got this? Are you saying that "women (including at least one who was pregnant) and children" have "no link to the drugs trade" because they are female &/or under 18?

Your argument, at least on these grounds, seems a little flawed.

No you misread my statement, I never said that they were innocent because they were women and children. They were innocent women and children.

I'll put it another way.

Thaksin ordered the shoot to kill policy in his War on Drugs which resulted in thousands dying.

1400 which were subsequently proven in independent investigations to have no link to the drugs trade.

Some of these innocent victims included women (including at least one who was pregnant) and children (eg a 17 year old boy who was hung and beaten to death), other innocents (not included in this toll) included kids who saw their parents murdered.

In summary Thaksin did order shooting rampages, several times, and not that any loss of life is acceptable, Thakin's orders has taken far many more innocent lives than the current administration has done.

Edited by quiksilva

Eton and Oxbridge no doubt instilled in him his 'right' to lead and Mummy and Daddy paid all the bills - now he is leading to disaster - go to the country and get a mandate and show a MODICUM of leadership - but his Army bunker handlers won't allow that will they? can't have democracy geting in the way of their snouts in the trough

Governments don't call elections to get a mandate when ever some minority group comes out to protest.

Really? Let's go to the instant replay:

post-25601-1271610191_thumb.jpg

post-25601-1271610244_thumb.jpg

post-25601-1271610284.jpg

post-25601-1271610313_thumb.jpg

post-25601-1271610354_thumb.jpg

Please attach photos of dead Thai protesters. Thank you.

Abhitist did not go on shooting rampage. No one knows what orders he gave and what orders were passed on down the line-No one, especially us, foreigners on TV

So you mean Thaksin did go on shooting rampage. Everyone knows what orders he (Thaksin) gave and what orders were passed on down the line-everyone, especially us, foreigners on TV

"You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." :)

Sit down guys. Could be the break through we are looking for.

Che Guevarra was as evil and despotic a man as ever there was and people wearing his image are obviously very badly informed, if at all. And that is... wait for it, Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts, Commies, Capitalists, Students, anybody!!! A Che T-Shirt is a badge of ignorance!!

He banned music in a Taliban style reign of terror and a great irony was pointed out to Carlos Santana a few months ago. He turned up in a Che T-shirt and had it pointed out to him by some cuban exiles that the real Che had actually had people killed for listening to Carlos Santana Music.

How long we will be in agreement for is not sure!

Common ground. Che was an idealistic young man who transformed into a butcher.

So many people bashing Abhisit, yet he is one of very few in this country who are actually very well educated and best fit to actually govern.

He is one of very few who actually studied and graduated rather then having mommy and daddy pay 25k per semester per year to be passed.

He is not actually that highly educated. He has a BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Oxford University, which on payment of the appropriate fee was upgraded to an M Phil, and an Honorary Doctorate in Law from Ramkhamhaeng University.

Who do you think paid "25k per semester per year" for him to attend Eton and Oxford if it wasn't "mommy and daddy"?

Why do you think there is any correlation between a theoretical education and fitness to govern? George W and Prince Charles are similary educated and live off the family money, but it would take a brave man to call either of them intelligent!

As for bills if you believe the entirety was settled privately, I would think you are a little naive. Having met a manager from Thai airways in Europe who asked me whether Charterhouse or Stowe was better because the company paid, I wouldn't take that as 100% believable.

There are plenty of benefits to working for the Thai government if you land the prime jobs. Not that this is really an issue, this is standard practice for diplomats. However, it is interesting that he did get in and Eton doesn't bend the rules too much unless you have Windsor as a surname.

That said, I know someone who was there with him at the same time, and he was more than capable.

As someone mentioned somewhere here, a degree doesn't make up for experience, but experience does make up for a degree.

I think he should have spent a lot more time in his formative political years reaching out beyond the typical Democrat heartlands and showing his face around the country. This he has never done, and whilst we can all say, what has Bush, Clinton, Blair done similarly, this is politics in Thailand not the West.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Well a degree from UK, especially from Oxford is little better then any Thai university

Mommy and daddy paid for his education, they did not pay to have him pass even if he fails.

If you for one second believe that there is no correlation between education and governing, boy you have serious flaws.

How do you propose one would consider economics if he/she does not know anything about it?

How can a doctor in Thailand be good, if he/she can not speak any English. While they all had to study it and if they could not study something as simple as English, do you really think that person is capable of learning anything else?

Now you do not consider George W and Prince Charles intelligent, so what would you consider them to be? and who do you consider being intelligent? besides yourself of course

Not to mention that education, common sense and intelligence are 3 different things

Edited by kuffki

[ I would add sympathizing with the red cause and supporting Thaksin are two completely different things

If only anyone who was a red shirt actually agreed with you CMF, it might add just an ounce of credibility to your statement.

Unfortunately, your position is not the position of the red shirts. Supporting the red shirts and supporting Thaksin ARE the same thing.

Please show me a single group of red shirt supporters who will vocally denounce Thaksin, and I will grant you some veracity to your statement. Heck, I might even support them. Until then, your statement is a position of fantasy.

Support the poor, rural Thais, yes. Support the reds, and by extension Thaksin? Absolutely not.

Edit: Just reread your statement. Maybe I was too quick to jump to conclusions. "sympathizing" may not actually be the same thing as supporting. I suppose I can sympathize with a terrorist without actually approving of him. I won't retract my earlier statement, but I will temper it that perhaps it could be misconstrued. I will never approve of or support the reds, but I can sympathize with the way some of their members have been misled.

Thank you - sympathise and empathise are the correct reflection of my views - although many on here have called me a 'Thaksin apologist' and worse

But at this juncture the Red shirts are about Thaksin and only Thaksin. I look forward to the day when that isn't the case.

It cannot have escaped your notice Chavalit and Somchai (PTP) petitioning the government today and seeking an audience with HM. Or Chalerm (PTP) backing out of constitutional reform on a Thaksin phone call. How about the UDD leadership withdrawing from negotiations with the government upon receiving an SMS text message. I'm sure you noted the UDD camped out at Thaksin's hotel. You couldn't have missed the PTP MP's marching to get the UDD propaganda station back on air.

It's all the same thing. Each is a part of the other, which is Thaksin.