Jamesons Rip-off

LoveT

I went to Jamesons at Surasak yesterday to watchthe rugby. I had 2 beers which cost me B320, which is about twice as expensive as Cape Town, the 16th most expensice city in the world. Are all sports pubs rip-offs?Can you recommend one whichis not?

Yes, that's about the right price there. 140 baht for a pint, before VAT so that's (for 2 pints) 280 baht + VAT 20 baht + tip (I assume) 20 baht = 320 baht.

Have you noticed that it's attached to the Holiday Inn full of European foreigners (with deep pockets) making most of the clientele there? There are a few regulars like me and a few Indians who don't mind much the prices because of the convenience (near the office, free wi-fi, lots of TVs, decent pool tables and relatively low population of flies) and we have discount cards courtesy from the management. At least I get my food and beer at any time of the day, and I know what to expect (or not).

I went to O'Reilleys a couple of weeks ago. Not a nice experience. I arrived just on time for the lunch special served until 2 pm but by the time the waitress came to me (actually I had to walk to her) it was already 3 minutes too late and she couldn't give me the lunch set special because of her computerized order system. So I ordered the same from the regular menu (Bangers and mash) and 2 pints of beer to try to wash away that taste (worst bangers and mash in town) and I got the bill over 600 baht. I can't believe that I wasted over 600 baht on bad tasting food, lousy service, and warm, flat beer. Never to see me again (again).

Other places in the area are also not better; I really miss the time when the food was good and cheap. It's all gone. Even Burger King is better now.

Yes, that's about the right price there. 140 baht for a pint, before VAT so that's (for 2 pints) 280 baht + VAT 20 baht + tip (I assume) 20 baht = 320 baht.

Have you noticed that it's attached to the Holiday Inn full of European foreigners (with deep pockets) making most of the clientele there? There are a few regulars like me and a few Indians who don't mind much the prices because of the convenience (near the office, free wi-fi, lots of TVs, decent pool tables and relatively low population of flies) and we have discount cards courtesy from the management. At least I get my food and beer at any time of the day, and I know what to expect (or not).

I went to O'Reilleys a couple of weeks ago. Not a nice experience. I arrived just on time for the lunch special served until 2 pm but by the time the waitress came to me (actually I had to walk to her) it was already 3 minutes too late and she couldn't give me the lunch set special because of her computerized order system. So I ordered the same from the regular menu (Bangers and mash) and 2 pints of beer to try to wash away that taste (worst bangers and mash in town) and I got the bill over 600 baht. I can't believe that I wasted over 600 baht on bad tasting food, lousy service, and warm, flat beer. Never to see me again (again).

Other places in the area are also not better; I really miss the time when the food was good and cheap. It's all gone. Even Burger King is better now.

Sad you had this experience at O'Reilly's go they often myself for many years, food wasn't good for a few years.

Didn't eat there for at least 2 years, had a meal there 2 months ago and i have to say it was good, chicken breast , juicy, well cooked with fresh tomato on top and gratinee with cheese.

Had problems with beer as well till last last year, at the moment good beers been served to me, i have to say that i am a very quick drinker so no time for the beer to get flat or warm. :)

Sad you had this experience at O'Reilly's go they often myself for many years, food wasn't good for a few years.

Didn't eat there for at least 2 years, had a meal there 2 months ago and i have to say it was good, chicken breast , juicy, well cooked with fresh tomato on top and gratinee with cheese.

Had problems with beer as well till last last year, at the moment good beers been served to me, i have to say that i am a very quick drinker so no time for the beer to get flat or warm. :)

Hmmm.... Maybe it was a bad time or my expectations were too high. I was walking under the sun for a while at nearly 2 pm, hungry and no solid food in my body yet, and passed the Duke pub on Silom I decided that a bangers and mash would be much better than that place where cockroaches plunge in your plate from the above. From the start until the end O'Reilley was a bad (worst) experience that day, discouraged me from going back. But hey! Never tell the well that you won't ever never drink its water, right?

Maybe next time I will have a better experience, until then, well, there's pricey Jameson (but the bangers and mash -pork not beef- is usually great) or Maria on Silom that has usually great food, decent prices, but no atmosphere (and no pints) at all. You can't get it all...

Probably we already crossed each other at some places in that area, and still will, just look for a lonesome nerd with a laptop and a pint of beer and it's probably me... :-)

Wow, world in coming to the end! Nursing two beers trough a game at nice place w. aircon, and then got the nerve to bitch. Businesses usually tends to pay rent (and a lot of other overheads), being in CBD: 320 THB for two pints sounds very fair.

When you are in the heart of the city and touristville what do you expect?

These high prices are for foreigners and tourists, not Thai's.

Cable TV and a case of beer from Lotus

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Soi 8 Bar in Sukhumvit Soi 8 - they are a dedicated rugby pub, with heaps of screens. Their pints start from 99Bt, bottles from 70Bt. They have a beer list on their website that shows all prices and sports TV schedules.

Soi 8 sponsor our club, so we spend a bit of time down there watching the rugby...some cracking S14 matches coming up this week by the way.