Experience Bring A Thai To Canada

I have been reading alot about the UK and Australia, and it looks like in order to get my Thai girlfriend out of Thailand it will take alot of documents and convincing...

I have been with her for 16 months now and we should have evidence of this...

Basically I want to move to Canada with her, and we want to be together, whether it is here in Thailand or in Canada.

Right now I am currently studying in university in Thailand, but am not feeling satisfied with it, and would like to continue in Canada...

I feel there would be better education in Canada, and better money once graduated. Also, it's actualy cheaper in Canada too, believe it or not, than the higher up universities in Thailand...

I think it shouldn't be hard for her to get into Canada, as right now she has a condo (300,000baht), a buisness (300,000 baht), and a car (200,000baht) and we have a sports bike at 200,000 baht as well.... And she did buy it all....

If we went to Canada we would obviously want to sell it all, so it would turn into money.

She did graduate from university already, has alot of money, and would go to study English in Canada, where I would contiue my studies...

I'd be hoping to marry her in Canada, but I'm not sure how much this would help, in regards to her being able to stay there long term, or work, etc..

This was my main question..

If we get to Canada, will she be able to stay there for a long time, and possibly work, or is this wishy washy....

I don't see marrage as an idicator of a couple's true conection in a relationship, but rather as a tool that can be helpful, and I would be wiling to make the contract if it was to help us in Canada.

-Lenny

Edited by lennya12threh

If you are not married, your chances are pretty much nil, if it is her intention to live in Canada. You should marry her quite a long time before you apply for her to live there as well, or they will think you only did it to get her visa approved. Good luck.

Immigration Canada is a good place to start for information. I linked you to a page about work permits for spouse of students. If you have a study permit for a university in Canada then your spouse or common-law partner can apply for a open work permit. This would allow her to go to Canada with you. If she wanted to study she would need her own study permit.

It sounds similar to how I took my wife to Canada. I am from the UK and was working in Canada on a work permit. After we got married in Thailand my wife applied for the work permit at the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok and received it one month later along with a multiple entry visa. Note that she did not have to apply for the visa, it was given automatically. There was no interviews, no bank details required, just an application form, medical and police checks. Everybody was really nice to her including the immigration at Vancouver airport who were always a bit nasty to me :-)

Edit: Of course I just realised that this only applies if you are not Canadian! It's not clear from your OP. If you are, then it's a different story. I heard stories of it taking over a year for Canadians to get their Thai wives into the country from the guys at the temple in Vancouver.

Edited by Gippy

Look into getting her a "Residence Permit". Shouldn't matter if you're married or not. The process apparently takes about 1 year, plus the 3 months or so for you to first qualify as a sponsor. First step is for you to apply to be a sponsor. If you qualify, than she can begin her application using a qualified sponsor on the app. If you are living in Thailand, it may be difficult for you to qualify. Last time i was in Canada, I phoned immigration and asked about all this stuff. This is again assuming that you are Canadian.

Another option would be for he to get an education visa. I think that this would be much easier IF she is actually going to be studying. You can also ask the Canadian consulate or embassy for more details. Good luck with it.

BTW; my Thai wife came to Canada twice, both times on tourist visas. During her last interview she mentioned something about getting married. She was told that once married she will never be able to get a tourist visa to Canada again. If married, she would be going to Canada to visit family which is not tourism so she would need to apply for a residence permit. Seems kind of crazy that there is nothing in between. So the next time we go to visit my family in Canada, my wife will need to apply to be a resident although we only want to go for a few weeks. What a system!

Edited by blakegeee