Grass Fire In Nong Hoi

Greenside

It seems they thought they had put this fire on empty ground near Plaza 89 out last night but the wind this afternoon got it started again just as we were visiting friends who live right by it. Four fire engines later and it looked like they were in control again but the next area downwind has lots of homes so I guess someone will be watching more carefully.

840097749_ucVPb-M.jpg

840097782_uPUMR-XL.jpg

840098057_Hmk93-M.jpg

840097928_h5VPP-M.jpg

840097891_9deZa-M.jpg

Great photos GS. I noticed the great use of the safety equipment. Tennis shoes, shorts, flip flops and if that water got any higher the lad would of had quite a shock with the over head electric lines. :)

I was there last night. The fire brigade came with almost empty tanks and had to drove off after 15 minutes to refill. After 30 min they were back.

All men were fighting against the fire AGAINST THE WIND !!!!! I have never seen this my entire life. There was nobody downwind, all time I was there and for at least 1 hour, they were all upwind. Hard to understand as they could see nothing and were blowing away by the wind/smoke in their faces all time.

I have learned you have to approach fire from behind; downwind. It is much easier.

Or am I wrong?

Great. Another fire.

BTW, there is a huge raging forest fire on the lower slopes of Doi Pui, just above the Changpuek municipal area here in Chiang Mai. And it looks like they are finally, after a day or 2 of inaction, starting to fight it.

I watched one little ittie-bittie helicopter (very brave pilot) run numerous sorties up the mountain around dusk tonight, dumping water on ridgelines, etc.

He was a very busy guy, but it was like a kid with a toy firetruck, trying to stop a major fire with a thimble full of water at a time.

Sorry if I disturb any who live at ground level, have a vague idea that it is smoky, and think that all the haze is from some far away fire in Burma or Laos.

It is not. It is right out my windows, I've watched it for 2 days, and it is a major forest fire on Doi Pui. Zero reporting on it anywhere.

Someone needs to take matches away from these misbehaving (insert your favorite pejorative here).

Rant over.

Thank's for sharing! Driving from Rimping Navarat to home near Gymkhana couldn't ignore the smell and was

wondering whether some house in neighbourhood was on fire... normally the smoke hits nose not until reaching

home porch while my next door natives are burning their daily trashes (or cooking food? can't tell)

Edited by hihhih

The lack of health and safety measures is still third-world stuff in SE Asia...

Do you really expect to see NIOSH certified helmet, gloves, face shield, boots, etc.. I wonder if they even have SCBAs and if they received proper training?

Should we discuss their 1960's fire trucks?

CB

The lack of health and safety measures is still third-world stuff in SE Asia...

Do you really expect to see NIOSH certified helmet, gloves, face shield, boots, etc.. I wonder if they even have SCBAs and if they received proper training?

Should we discuss their 1960's fire trucks?

CB

its ok as long as they were high on grass. :)