Can I Walk Away From Mortgage In Thailand?

peter2076

I am the guarantor on a mortgage for a house I bought for my wife and children. We are leaving Thailand soon and I don't think I will be able to rent or sell mu house.

What are the implications if I just walk away from the mortgage? Can the bank, UOD, do anything to mess with my visa? Can the bank go after other assets that my wife has (land)?

Can the bank come after my earnings if I live in Thailand again? Say 5 years from now? How long will my wife and I be on a bank black list?

Please advise.

If you are bailing permanently, never to return and no assets to attach here...yeah why not...

If you are maintaining any form of asset/tie...ie your mrs has land...wouldnt do it, the bank can attach the land, and in theroy they can chase you overseas if there is enough money involved and they find out were you are living.....

Whatever your reason for leaving, it serves no purpose to put yourself up for a load of stress and worry. The bank, I assume, are not responsible for your problems. So why should they suffer? If they decide to come after you because they suffered a loss, then fair enough. That is the way busines operates

As you are prepared to walk away with nothing, might you not reconsider your selling price? Try to sell for as much as is left on the mortgage, pay it off, and you will have no future worries. Not to mention your wife will still be able to hold her head up high in the community.

Or is price not the reason why you expect not to sell the house? That may be another problem

I'm not sure if Thailand has a debtor's prison or not but fleeing from a loan could be interpreted as financial fraud under Thai law. That means if it's a high enough sum they could report it to police and then you can kiss any chance of returning to Thailand goodbye.

I don't get this. You're the guarantor on a house you bought for your wife and children? If you bought the house you are the borrower. If you are the guarantor, then who is the borrower and rightful buyer of the house?

I smell something here, I get the impression you didn't buy the house but signed as guarantor for a loan someone else took on a property (probably your wife). Now you want to know if the bank will chase you if you decide to leave with your wife and stop paying the mortgage?

Bottom line is, there is a difference between being a guarantor and borrower, and only the borrower is buying.

Edited by Forethat

The OP is probably saying that in the current climate the price he could get for a quick sale is a lot less that the bank loan and any rent would not cover the loan payments. The bank will auction it off and presumably the owner will be liable for any outstanding amount but we all know that banks write off loans... seems strange that the bank would take a farang as a guarantor, anyway. UOB is Singapore owned so presumably a bit more ethical than the local co's who might pass the loan defualt on to the loan sharks to recover. It is possible that his wife's family could be hassled if they skip to farangland and also possible that they will get hassle on their return if the bank takes the matter to the courts.

If you are guarantor and it is for a Thai wife the banks will have her ID card information. That is liable to cause her a problem if she wants credit here in the future. In saying that, I know a Thai female who owes one bank almost 250,000 Baht yet she has been able to open up a new account with a different bank and got credit. Also you can buy her a new ID in the future if you know who and where :)

Less of a problem for you unless the bank is aware of your home details. If the debt is big enough they are liable chase you for it. Yet the system here is more lax than the UK for example so you have a good chance of never being caught even if you also come back here.

Try to short sell the house at the very least. The difference you sell it for might be a lot less than if the bank sells at auction. In some countries banks do go after the borrows for the remaining amount plus legal fees.

Try your best to lessen stress in your life.

Because of scum like you (the OP), decent people have more and more a difficulty in getting a mortgage or other credit etc :) I really do hope whenever you decide to walk away that they will catch you before you make it out of Thailand and that you will spend some years in the Bangkok Hilton! I don't understand that other people actually try to answer your question!