Bangkok: Another Crackdown, More Bloodshed Expected

webfact

Thako proxy party seats won: 233

dem seats won: 165

so how many voted for his party after the Coup??

Nobody voted...

well maybe 280 people did. I'm not sure. :D

Actually, now that you mention it.. The post coup elections played out like this for party list MP's given a total of 480 seats in the Lower House. Which BTW is who votes for the PM, and NOT the people. Oh and another thing, ALL the current MP's were voted for BY THE PEOPLE to be their representation.

Anyway, it breaks down like this;

PPP 310 (Samak) (PPP had NO stand alone majority or if they did why did they form a 6 party coalition)

Democrat Party 165 (Abhisit)

*5 MP's votes unaccounted for*

After Samak was axed for the "cooking show fiasco" the MP's voted like this for PPP's Somchai;

PPP 298 (Somchai) (AGAIN PPP had NO stand alone majority as a party but formed a 5 party coalition)

Democrat Party 163 (Abhisit)

*19 MP's votes unaccounted for*

After Somchai was axed Chaovarat became caretaker PM, as he was the "last man standing" (even though the constitution stipulates that the Prime Minister must be a member of the House of Representatives, and sadly Chaovarat was not. ..)

Then there was the FLIP of banned politician Newin Chidchob and his "Friends of Newin" group who defected from the Redz. The MPs that flipped came from various and sundry political parties but it is interesting to note they also came from the For Thais Party (Puea Thai, the successor of the PPP), the former Chart Thai Party, the Thais United National Development Party, the Neutral Democratic Party, and the infamous "Friends of Newin" faction of the former Peoples Power Party sided with the Demz. Those 32 MP's which Newin controls are the linchpin to the whole equation which gave the Demz the majority in a vote of MP's which looked like this:

Democrat Party 235 (Abhisit) (Demz also had NO stand alone majority but formed a coalition with the Friends of Newin Group MP's)

PTP 198 (Pracha Promnok)

*47 MP's votes unaccounted for*

There could be and probably is a margin of error in the numbers as they obviously don't add up to 480 each time and a person might ask why didn't an MP vote for PM.. :)

I still can't find why 47 MP's votes in the last go round of voting in the Lower House are unaccounted for. It could be dubious googling, or bad information, but I found the numbers on a few internet sites. :D

That's the good bad and ugly of the Lower House voting which lead to where we are today boyz & gurls. :D

Carry on with your armchair political punditry <sic>, it's interesting to say the least. :D

ho comes that teh Thai contituition explictible states the any Member of parliament/Prime minister has to have a doctorate or be a academic.

Here is Taxin,a doctor.for whatmmaybe veterinary,to cure horses or mules.

never went to a university as a undergraduate student,sams goes for barnhan and 805 for the elected MPs.

Chavalit is a dropout from 6th grade back in his homeprovince of Nakhon Nowhere.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rumor has it Thaksin has cancer and he might be dead by then, so he is probably enforcing the 15 days deadline.

That might be a counter rumour to the rumour about somebody being in a coma.

regardless, seems highly unlikely to me. What a bloody waste of time!

his airplane registration number is now known to us,also the pilot and co-pilot's name.

Beware that there are other planes are flying around the world.

fasten your seatbelts please.

THE NATION: Arisman has threatened that red "army" will carry out "special ops" tonite, seizing ambulances and military vehicles.

This is the kind of guy everyone wants for their next door neighbor. I'm sure glad the reds are carrying on a peaceful rally. No telling what it would be if it was violent.

Really.

So,

would ANYONE be surprised if this Big Swinging Dick, ended up with his dick handed to him by weeks end.

If any one player seemed likely to do something REALY f'n stupid this week it will be Big A.

Arisman, Arisiman

does what ever a spider can...

Apperently big A did his hero talk before the meeting and after the meeting they all had white faces and where saying something like: we just want Abhisit to be sorry for what he did (10th) and accept responsibility (which he did on 10th already) and we wil disperse...

In thai the say "don't like the tiger escape to the forest", so it is all up to Anupong, and if he cracks down or not. Personally I think they have to (crack down) because now there are only hardcore members left, all ready to fight and if they don't now they will eventually anyhow.

The funny thing is they just said on stage that there are not less than 200,000 red shirts are at Rajaprasong now, allthough everybody knows it is very wishfull thinking. (just 3-4 hours a guy on stage said : "everytime I come on the stage the last days I'm thinking why we still don't reach 10,000, where are our friends to fight with us?")

I heard from locals in Chiang Mai that the reds took their ID cards and didn't allow them to leave, but they did anyway. They are desperate now and calling the "watermelon soldiers" to come to help them. I don't think they lost much support in the last week for different reasons. Their leadership is as divided in their goals as their followers....

right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

how do u know this????? write me a paragraph of lies in thai language that has been spoken

A few things there champ... first of all I am NOT your slave to do what you TELL me to do. Secondly I never claimed anywhere I could write Thai, not sure what hearing what is said on RED TV has to do with me writing it out in Thai script for you? Finally if you speak Thai you do not need me to have my wife write anything for you, if you do not speak Thai what would it matter as you would not be able to read what written anyway?

Now go away, you know very well the lies being spouted on a daily basis if you can speak Thai.... I repeat if you can not speak Thai then really what is the point of talking to you on this subject matter, anything written you will claim is false?

Are you really blind???

How about AK 47's - grenades - petrol bombs - lit gas tanks -

I guess those soldiers died being talked to death by red shirt gibberish

If the army were all unarmed and the protesters were so well armed why do you think 20 protesters died and only 5 army personel on April 10?

Geeze clausewitz, you don't think like a general! Not ALL the army were unarmed (at least as far as fire-arms are concerned), they never are in a crowd control op, in case it gets a bit ugly. This got very ugly. This was a well-planned assault against the army, complete with a hit squad for the army c.o. But it was intended to make the army look like a mob of murderous mongrels, and for that to happen, more protesters had to be killed/injured than army. you should be able to work out how that was ensured. Have a look at the guy with his brains exploding towards the troops.

Am still surprised there is electric power for the stages. If the power is coming in on cables, cut the cables. If it's generators, disable the generators (snipers, sabateurs?). Without microphones and PA system the Red movement will crumple faster than a blimp out of gas. Thai public speakers (and musicians) cannot function without a mic and PA system. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, have you ever heard a Thai musician performing (or a public speaker) without a PA system? Didn't think so.

This part has always baffled me, they just seem to be tapping into power lines where ever the want and just set stuff up where ever they choose and nobody stops it.. it simply is not that hard to turn off the power as it were and make them sit around listening to their own thoughts... that would send a lot more home.. right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

It is true the numbers have dropped a huge amount. My last drive by on the fly over on Petchaburi by Ratchadamre I could see over the little hill that empties out by Platinum and a fair ways down the road, this was on Monday, a week ago on the same fly over it was jammed and red shirts as far as the eye could see there is no doubt for whatever reasons the numbers are way way down in that area

Concerning the turning off of the power. This is the Thai way to gain power for a concert or any other event that requires power. They have a local electrician to connect into the power cables coming down the power pole above the local meter. It is called free power. I have seen it done many, many times here in Isaan. EGAT would have to kill the power to the street they are on to shut them down.

right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

how do u know this????? write me a paragraph of lies in thai language that has been spoken

I'll take it you have never listened to the speeches on the stage then? Ratjher than ask for proof on here I suggest having a listen. It isnt exaclty subtley open to intepretation. Oh and there is at least one little hate filled piece of propaganda repeated often but I'll leave you to come backj and tell me what it is after you have spent some time listening to speeches.

Are you really blind???

How about AK 47's - grenades - petrol bombs - lit gas tanks -

I guess those soldiers died being talked to death by red shirt gibberish

If the army were all unarmed and the protesters were so well armed why do you think 20 protesters died and only 5 army personel on April 10?

Geeze clausewitz, you don't think like a general! Not ALL the army were unarmed (at least as far as fire-arms are concerned), they never are in a crowd control op, in case it gets a bit ugly. This got very ugly. This was a well-planned assault against the army, complete with a hit squad for the army c.o. But it was intended to make the army look like a mob of murderous mongrels, and for that to happen, more protesters had to be killed/injured than army. you should be able to work out how that was ensured. Have a look at the guy with his brains exploding towards the troops.

Thank God the characters trying to blow up the pylons to blkack out Bangkok mangerd to screw it up. Guess the miulitary are busy hunting them down right now and any deal between Abhisit and whoever is flavour of the day in redland is, will not stop it. That is an interesting subtext which few see but which is causal for all kinds of thing shappening now. Still back to the red and yerllow propaganda gash rather than proper analysis I guess

Edited by hammered

Thailand needs national unity

April 20, 2010 12:00AM

The alternative is street fighting among political proxies

THE army was back on the streets of Bangkok yesterday, sending a signal to the Red Shirt protest movement that they should lift their siege of the city and a message to the world that everything was under control. Neither is believable, Thailand's problems run much deeper than the damage done by a large and very well organised protest movement. The Red Shirts support former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, deposed in a military coup in 2006. They want an election, which the exiled Thaksin's side would be likely to win. Despite widespread claims of corruption against him, his policies, including free healthcare for all, make him the darling of the rural poor. But no matter how decisive an election outcome, a vote would solve nothing unless it was accepted by Thaksin's opponents, who despise his populism, sneer at his supporters and can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets. These Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months at the end of 2008, and there is talk of their taking on Thaksin's supporter.

The stand-off in the streets places Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an impossible position. He was appointed, rather than elected, and has no credibility with Thaksin's camp. And the stand-off in the streets is a problem for the army, the usual arbiter of who governs. It seems the generals are loath to either shore up Mr Abhisit or, as they have often done before, take control themselves. The Red Shirts have too much popular support to be easily suppressed and there are suggestions there is sympathy for Thaksin's cause among rank and file soldiers. This was once the sort of situation solved by advice from King Bhumibol Adulyadej. But he is old and ill and shows no sign of intending to intervene.

And so it is up to the politicians. Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll. Given his tenuous position, the Prime Minister has little choice but to agree. Yet unless the political warlords agree to respect the popular vote and unless the winning side undertakes not to wreak revenge on the loser, the results will not matter much.

Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang.

I would expect better from The Australian. At least get some of the facts right.

"including free healthcare for all" - not quite. It was Abhisit who made it free (only because it cost more than 30-baht to collect the 30-baht).

"Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months" - 9 days.

"He was appointed, rather than elected" - since when was he appointed?

"can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets" - what's he talking about?

"Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll." - failing to mention that the end of the year is 12 months early.

"Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang."

There is very little chance of a national unity government. Unless the reds are in control, they won't accept it.

What's this about "free" health care???? My TGF had to pay 15,000 bht the other day to the hospital. Doesn't sound free to me.

Wow, 15,000 baht is a lot for here in Thailand, even at Bumrungrad... that is plastic surgery territory!

Hope it wasn't a "cut and tuck"! :)

As an opinion piece, I like it. I share much the same views, but Operation Payback is a bit crass. How about Reciprocity? Might be a bit hard for a thai.

The clearance will come quite soon, and if the red's secret army want to put in an appearance, so much the better. A few less murderous thugs won't hurt this country too much. I do hope the dupes with the clappers finally wake up and take their party home before it's too late, but I'm afraid that that may be wishful thinking.

By the way, do the special forces lads look like they are wearing sunblock and skin-whitening lotion?

Typical yellow 'kill them' mentality

This coming from the pig that turned into a dove. Work out you were rooting for the wrong side did you? :)

Interesting how the protest is not only polarizing the Thai people, but also ThaiVisa posters, most of whom are farang and reside in Thailand.

I'm on the side who favors of stern measures to counter the rallies. I'm amazed at how much reluctance there is by the PM and military to taking strong measures. However, I understand it, as much of public opinion will point fingers at the government if more blood is spilled.

If a person has a bad internal staph infection, then serious remedial action would be needed. It won't be enough to rub some peroxide on the skin. Red apologists are saying there should be no strong measures taken to eliminate the protesters. Reds are essentially asking for confrontation, and they're setting the stage for it with their alarmist/treasonous rhetoric and embedded fighters with automatic weapons and grenades. Give them what they want. End it.

Agreed, agreed, agreed! So why isn't he doing what you suggest? Do they only graduate idiots from Oxford? Eliminating the red shirts as you suggest is NOT like putting peroxide on a staph infection. Killing germs is not the same as killing people, unless you are like Hitler and simply do not care. Living knowing that you could have done something to avoid killing hundreds, versus just wiping them out must be incredibly stressful. I don't like what the red shirts are doing any more than anyone here on Thai Visa. But I can also empathise with what Abhisit is going through.... doesn't make it right; doesn't make it effective; but it does make it very fallible and human.

"Give them what they want. End it."

The reds want confrontation. The reds want violence. That's what they will get.

Yup... seems that way to me too... the problem is that there are a lot of WOMEN AND CHILDREN amongst the red shirts who are serving as human shields. They are ignorant, poor, gullible or all three... whatever... if the army "mows everyone down" and sets Rajaprasong free, what do you think the consequences would be? What would happen if pictures of bloody, killed, "innocent" women and children hit the international press circuit? Getting rid of the trouble-makers, while seemingly obvious, is not an easy decision!!!!!

And....who gives a monkeys...?????

Yet another sad piece of garbage.

Thanks for posting it though, it's good to see the depths this 'newspaper' has fallen to.

If the NATION just prints garbage, why do you have over 3,000 posts here? It seems you have a lot of spare time on your hands and you love to read garbage? Explain that to us please...

At one time this was a fairly balanced and independent expat forum. It only became The Nation's mouthpiece later. But it's indeed a good point you're making, I stopped bothering with the news clippings forum for a while, and the ban on political discussions in General is an incredible improvement. Blissfully some of the most rabid Thaksin-obsessed people seem to have been sent on holidays as well. So things are improving, credit where credit is due.

Incidentally, it seems that it's no longer lost on the UDD that this forum is aligned with the Bangkok establishment, it's viewed as having the same biases. That's unfortunate, especially as I (and many others) have been pretty active in showing that not everyone on here has been brainwashed with a yellow dye, but it's hard to dispute the one-sidedness in the news stories we get in this sub-forum.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hysterical, heavily biased nonsense - just another day at the office for the Nation writers. This is not journalism.

I guess the truth hurts!!!

Good for the journo!!

Only saying what most people think and know!!

He is spot on!!

Exactly!

If it is his opinion, I guess he is allowed to it

If he is paid to write his opinion ... there you go

Just a person doing what he is paid to do

Much like the reds ... they are paid to protest

so they protest.

Doesn't mean that the editor has to print it though.

I believe you're right. It is my understanding from a friend in the newspaper business, that before any and all goes to print, the editor must first approve it. Says a lot about the paper and editor. IMHO

If it is his opinion, I guess he is allowed to it

If he is paid to write his opinion ... there you go

Just a person doing what he is paid to do

Much like the reds ... they are paid to protest

so they protest.

Doesn't mean that the editor has to print it though.

I believe you're right. It is my understanding from a friend in the newspaper business, that before any and all goes to print, the editor must first approve it. Says a lot about the paper and editor. IMHO

That's shocking, 'the' editor of all people has to approve what goes to print :)

Yes, and it is true for virtually all publications, electronic and print.

The main function of an editor is not necessarily to "edit" but to make decisions about whether something can be published or not.

Of course, this can result in "censorship."

This is a global problem related to the flow of information.

By way of example, it is almost impossible to get something published in a major newspaper in the USA that challenges the status quo.

That is why scholars like Noam Chomsky are virtually ignored by the mainstream press.

Unfortunately, the internet is becoming the last place where a conversation can take place......and even then certain positions/views are censored.

If the flow of information is the main problem (and it is) , we are in serious trouble.

The reason is simple: behavior/action comes after decision making...........decision making is guided by the flow of information.

If only politically correct views enter the flow of information, the end result is predictable: no change to the status quo.

As an opinion piece, I like it. I share much the same views, but Operation Payback is a bit crass. How about Reciprocity? Might be a bit hard for a thai.

The clearance will come quite soon, and if the red's secret army want to put in an appearance, so much the better. A few less murderous thugs won't hurt this country too much. I do hope the dupes with the clappers finally wake up and take their party home before it's too late, but I'm afraid that that may be wishful thinking.

By the way, do the special forces lads look like they are wearing sunblock and skin-whitening lotion?

This coming from the pig that turned into a dove. Work out you were rooting for the wrong side did you? :)

'a pig' would have been more polite unless you are suggesting a fellow poster IS a pig? which breaks forum rules... you can't wait to flame can you??? why not stick to the thread?

My Thai Families Plea to their Brothers and Sisters

The truth is

Both the reds and the Thai government are to blame for what is to happen now

The Red shirts have brought together a mob in Bkk and the leaders have teased them into a frenzy like a pack of wild dogs

They have convinced the followers that the Police and army will not fight them and they are invincible

The Government on the other hand has played soft touch, confirming what the Red Shirt leader are saying and given the crazy mob a feeling of undefeatable

But now we are are the start of reality

Its over people

Taskin has been denied his appeal

The money is gone

He is not returning He is not god

but you have made your self pawns in a clash of self made titans called Red shirt leaders

This time the army is controled by someone that can not afford to loose face

The watermelon boys are not in the front line

Your might leaders have not made your bodies bulletproof

Thailand has laws and now they must be upheld

To stand in the front lines for Red shirts is playing Russian Roullete and many of you are looking at suicide

If you think your body can stop a bullet you are a bloody idiot

Please understand your Red shirt leaders have wanted Blood spilt from day one, not their blood but your blood, and have already spilt to much all ready

You have achieved so much already, Hold your heads high for you will be remembered in Thai history

True Democracy comes one day at a time

and you have made a start to it

Better to be alive to take the next step

Than dead where you will be nothing more than a number on a box

Your families need you back home

Tell your Red Shirt leaders to except an early election

Or commit suicide for someone who is already finished

If you want to fight okay up to you, but put your leaders in the front lines with you, a Thai Braveheart

See with your own eyes that they believe in the words they are telling you

'a pig' would have been more polite unless you are suggesting a fellow poster IS a pig? which breaks forum rules... you can't wait to flame can you??? why not stick to the thread?

I guess they don't deal with 'metaphor' too well in Lanna Land.

Pig being reference to police or authoritarian heavy handedness

and 'Animal Farm' : " Some equals are more equal than others."

In essence peoples revolutions that are typically taken over from within

by an arbitrary, absolutist and abusive ELITE.

Hawk might have been a better usage to match with Dove, which is a sign of peace.

But hey:

"Typical yellow 'kill them' mentality" is such a rational and dove like comment

one designed to calm the situation and bridge gaps and create understandings... <<<trenchant irony inserted here

Edited by animatic

I guess they don't deal with 'metaphor' too well in Lanna Land.

Pig being reference to police or authoritarian heavy handedness

and 'Animal Farm' : " Some equals are more equal than others."

In essence peoples revolutions that are typically taken over from within

by an arbitrary, absolutist and abusive ELITE.

Hawk might have been a better usage to match with Dove, which is a sign of peace.

But hey:

"Typical yellow 'kill them' mentality" is such a rational and dove like comment

one designed to calm the situation and bridge gaps and create understandings... <<<trenchant irony inserted here

Pig is not a metaphor actually (in your context) - it is a nasty term for Police (or for me in your context?) - a metaphor is something completely different - such as 'dove of peace' etc.

Its over people

Hmm, do you really mean "Its over people" or perhaps "It's over, people"?

It is over. The RED have to go home soon, as the army is beating the heII out of them.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-432683

After being blasted by grenades and petrol bombs, and being shot at, does it surprise you that the army gets a bit violent.

This shouldn't happen, but the headline on the ireport "Killings in Bangkok" is a bit over the top.

Love it

Thaksin for President

of course the red shirts deny posting those stickers but considering that Thaksin is financing their mob and the average IQ of those, as Thai's call them "gnoo", it will be very difficult for anyone to convince themselves and others that those are not placed by the red mob. But wait for it, those red here will of course try anyway :D

It is called "jumping the gun" :)

68,000 people can't go to work because of 15,000 rioters and millions of Bangkok residents are affected by those riots the country as a whole is suffering - its high time the government / army gets moving and get rid of those imbeciles.

Edited by BKjohn

Yes, and it is true for virtually all publications, electronic and print.

The main function of an editor is not necessarily to "edit" but to make decisions about whether something can be published or not.

Of course, this can result in "censorship."

This is a global problem related to the flow of information.

By way of example, it is almost impossible to get something published in a major newspaper in the USA that challenges the status quo.

That is why scholars like Noam Chomsky are virtually ignored by the mainstream press.

Unfortunately, the internet is becoming the last place where a conversation can take place......and even then certain positions/views are censored.

If the flow of information is the main problem (and it is) , we are in serious trouble.

The reason is simple: behavior/action comes after decision making...........decision making is guided by the flow of information.

If only politically correct views enter the flow of information, the end result is predictable: no change to the status quo.

Hmm.....you have some points, but then again......

You know Noam Chomsky is a globally renown scholar of linguistics at MIT....you also well know that his political views are quite another matter and are subject to editing (to publish or not to publish) based on the political views of the editor/publisher/owner of the particular medium......neither you nor I for instance would expect to find Chomsky published in the National Review, would we? His books sell well I'm pleased to note which also quite pleases his publisher to include his editor at the publishing house.

The other English language daily and Sunday newspaper in Bangkok has editors too, and a publisher etc. Mods at any forum are editors too, both in the more focused meaning of the word and in its broader meaning, as is George himself who edits his mind as to who Mods are and the things they do. :)

Editing in any meaning is not necessarily the same as censorship - in fact editing has little if anything to do with censorship. Censorship is quite another beast, perhaps among others the harmless looking and seemingly innocent panda up the road from here.

Edited by Publicus

THE army was back on the streets of Bangkok yesterday, sending a signal to the Red Shirt protest movement that they should lift their siege of the city and a message to the world that everything was under control. Neither is believable, Thailand's problems run much deeper than the damage done by a large and very well organised protest movement. The Red Shirts support former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, deposed in a military coup in 2006. They want an election, which the exiled Thaksin's side would be likely to win. Despite widespread claims of corruption against him, his policies, including free healthcare for all, make him the darling of the rural poor. But no matter how decisive an election outcome, a vote would solve nothing unless it was accepted by Thaksin's opponents, who despise his populism, sneer at his supporters and can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets. These Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months at the end of 2008, and there is talk of their taking on Thaksin's supporter.

The stand-off in the streets places Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an impossible position. He was appointed, rather than elected, and has no credibility with Thaksin's camp. And the stand-off in the streets is a problem for the army, the usual arbiter of who governs. It seems the generals are loath to either shore up Mr Abhisit or, as they have often done before, take control themselves. The Red Shirts have too much popular support to be easily suppressed and there are suggestions there is sympathy for Thaksin's cause among rank and file soldiers. This was once the sort of situation solved by advice from King Bhumibol Adulyadej. But he is old and ill and shows no sign of intending to intervene.

And so it is up to the politicians. Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll. Given his tenuous position, the Prime Minister has little choice but to agree. Yet unless the political warlords agree to respect the popular vote and unless the winning side undertakes not to wreak revenge on the loser, the results will not matter much.

Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang.

So what about the Australian biased reporting??

I would expect better from The Australian. At least get some of the facts right.

"including free healthcare for all" - not quite. It was Abhisit who made it free (only because it cost more than 30-baht to collect the 30-baht).

"Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months" - 9 days.

"He was appointed, rather than elected" - since when was he appointed?

"can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets" - what's he talking about?

"Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll." - failing to mention that the end of the year is 12 months early.

"Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang."

There is very little chance of a national unity government. Unless the reds are in control, they won't accept it.

If Abhisit was appointed so was Gordon Brown. Are we going to have Tory demonstrators closing down the West End soon????