The Ashes

oh well, lets wait and see again, but honestly, Aussies are by far the best cricketing nation in the world. I only remember the West Indies having the respect that we have..... :D

Australian dont have the respect the West Indies once had coz they are universally hated for their cheating, gamesmanship and sledging.

cheating

Shall we forget Atherton and the ball tampering, an english bowler and vaseline, a pair of sub continent swing bowlers who had suspect pockets,

Sledging

Viv Richards was a great sledger, Botham wasnt too shy at it either, the lowest was the guy who made comments about McGraths wifes cancer, Sledging is a part of the game and done by all nations. They all give as good as they get.

Gamesmanship

I guess the Aussies are the only ones who appeal for an LBW when the ball was clearly outside the line of the stumps, or claim a catch when the ball actually doesnt carry, or claims a catch behind when there was clearly no bat contact. I think it was an Aussie batsman who after playing the ball down, picked up the ball and tossed it back to the bowler, who promptly appealed (successfully) for handled ball. And to finish....wasnt it Gilchrist who recently walked on a dubious appeal and was heralded for his sportsmanlike gesture.

And in response to a later post.....the Ashes home was Australia before the Poms pinched them.....the Ashes were created in Melbourne... :o

Burnsy,read up on your cricket history and you will find that the history and facts re "the Ashes is still in dispute today. :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh well, lets wait and see again, but honestly, Aussies are by far the best cricketing nation in the world. I only remember the West Indies having the respect that we have..... :D

Australian dont have the respect the West Indies once had coz they are universally hated for their cheating, gamesmanship and sledging.

Would you care to expand on your CHEATING remark,a few examples will suffice.

plus a word of warning, we enjoy a lot of good-hearted banter on this forum, but never say out loud what you have posted here anonymously, that is if you want to be able to chew steak again. :o

ozzydom

Ok i have limited time now but i will make a start, i have included one link to help refresh your memory.

Lets list a few of the most notorious examples over the last ten years -

1995 Steve Waugh claiming a catch to dismiss Brian Lara that had clearly bounced! (Waugh some how getting away with it - any other player would have been banned for 3 games at least!)

2003 Darren Lehman shouting racist abuse at the Sri Lankan team (i think this goes beyond gamesmanship!).

2003 McGrath getting out his pram as Ausies lose to the West Indies, souring the game of cricket once again.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/may/23daniel.htm

I havent even mentioned the numerous incidents involving Shane 'drug cheat' Warne yet, maybe another time!

Australias image abroad is not helped by your ever so respected (!!!) prime minister having his say in the legailty of Murilli action and also sticking up for Mcgrath's shameful performance!

If you honestly think the Aussies have the same respect - especially in the caribbean and the asian sub continent - that the west indies once have you clearly listen to the incredibly parochial Aussie media far too much!

THE WORLD WILL BE REJOICING WHEN THE ASHES REMAIN WHERE THEY BELONG!!

My My.Your just overflowing with dislike of all things Australian arnt you.did an Aussie pinch your girlfriend or did you proposition an aussie bloke and got a thick lip for your trouble.Whatever the cause your knowledge of cricket is minimal.

1.It is an umpires decision to give dismissals,there is no penalty for claiming a catch or any other form of dismissal,it is ump,s decision.

2.Murilli,s action was deemed illegal by the powers that be and told to rectify it.

3.Being a drug cheat is to use performance enhancing products,you have selectively forgotten west indies cricketers admitted use of cannibis or Botham

admitting to the same.

For your edification ,the ashes always remain in Britain no matter who wins the series.

If you had read the site you referred to you would see that WG Grace back in 1882 was not adverse to a bit of cheating.

But its pretty futile talking to a girl obout a mans game.Aussies and kiwi,s play to win as sport should be played so hitch up your skirt and go back to your game of bridge.

1,Your first point is wrong - the match referee now has the power to suspend cricketers where there has been a clear attempt to deceive the umpire. It was incidents like the notorious Steve Waugh drop that brought in this power - (Geraint Jones was fortunate to escape a ban in the recent bangladesh test match for claiming a catch that clearly bounced- blame his Aussie up bringing).

2 Your second point was also wrong - Murilli's action has now been passed (also proved legal by a BBC experiment involving a steel arm brace making it imposible for murrilli to straighten his bowling arm) - it also never had anything to do with your prime minister!

3 surprise surprise so your third point was also wrong! What is a diuretic other than to enhance your performance? Shane Warne took it to lose weight in order to get into shape for the 2003 world cup i.e to enhance his performance!

4, oh thats it - you didnt have any more!!

As for the other Ausie bloke who reckoned the Ashes were invented in melbourne - not that it really matters but check this link out before spouting more nonsense!

http://www.napit.co.uk/viewus/infobank/cricket/australia.php

and no, i like Australians and really like Australia as i have lived there in the past (so i know how parochial and myopic a lot of the cricket coverage is). I also have respect for a number of Aussie cricketers of the past - Mark Taylor being the most recent. However I do have a problem with the current team - yes they are about the best in the world - (and about 4 years agao could realistically claim to be the best ever) but i dont like the way they play the game- so I, and many others, don't respect them.

No hard feelings?

Sledging

Viv Richards was a great sledger, Botham wasnt too shy at it either, the lowest was the guy who made comments about McGraths wifes cancer, Sledging is a part of the game and done by all nations. They all give as good as they get.

The 'Mcgrath - Sarwan' incident involved the Australian Glen Mcgrath asking the West Indies vice captain lewd, obscene questions about parts of Brian Laras anatomy (presumably at frustration at not taking a wicket this was the best he could come up with) - Sarwan, presumably bored with such moronic and infantile sledging replied that Mcgrath should ask his wife - a fairly innocent and understandable response in the scheme of things (yes she was recovering from cancer but that was never referred to or really relevent). This is now the accepted view of events by even the Australian team and it was Mcgrath who did the (instructed) apologising after the game. The globally respected Mr Howard (ha ha) made his comments supporting Mcgraths behaviour presumably blissfully unaware of what really happened.

Best responces to sledging .....

1. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham:

When Botham took guard in an Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the

wicket with the immortal words: "So how's your wife & my kids?"

2. Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:

As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been

waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you

spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

3. Glenn McGrath & Eddo Brandes:

After Brandes played & missed at a McGrath delivery, the Aussie

bowler politely enquired: "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?" "Cos

every time I <deleted> your wife she gives me a biscuit," Brandes replied.

4. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:

During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he played & missed:

"You can't f**king bat".

Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the boundary: "Hey Merv, we make

a fine pair. I can't f**king bat & you can't f**king bowl."

5. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:

During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus conductor. A few

balls latter Merv dismissed Javed: "Tickets please", Merv called out as

he ran past the departing batsman.

6. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:

During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn't say a word to Viv,

but continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my

island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just

bowl."

Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the

batsman: "In my culture we just say <deleted> *ff."

7. Ricky Ponting & Shaun Pollock:

After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries,

Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round & weighs about 5 ounces."

Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the

ground. Ponting to Pollock: "you know what it looks like, now go find

it."

Ok, theres instances that have been noted of remarks made by players from every team, theres no more sledging coming from Australians than there is Brit's, unless your out on the field playing, how the ###### would you know, as far as cheating goes your wrong, this is not how the Aussies got to become one of the best teams in the world, if they did cheat then surely they wouldn't be there. There have been many instances of players from all nations that have exhibited less than appropriate behavior on the field. Im sure, Mitt, you take particular note of instances regarding australian players more so than any other team because you show contempt for the country. Any more information you can muster up on Australians behaving badly in Cricket from your book, "Australians behaving badly in cricket, a Pom's guide", will be gratefully appreciated..........

Ok, theres instances that have been noted of remarks made by players from every team, theres no more sledging coming from Australians than there is Brit's, unless your out on the field playing, how the ###### would you know, as far as cheating goes your wrong, this is not how the Aussies got to become one of the best teams in the world, if they did cheat then surely they wouldn't be there. There have been many instances of players from all nations that have exhibited less than appropriate behavior on the field. Im sure, Mitt, you take particular note of instances regarding australian players more so than any other team because you show contempt for the country. Any more information you can muster up on Australians behaving badly in Cricket from your book, "Australians behaving badly in cricket, a Pom's guide", will be gratefully appreciated..........

How about you beating us in every ashes series for twenty years...........that's bad :o

Actually I'm an optimist cloaked in pessimism 'I know we could do it, but don't think we will'

Burnsy,read up on your cricket history and you will find that the history and facts re "the Ashes is still in dispute today. :o

Only by the Poms....... :D

A brief history of the Ashes

Complete scorecard archive

Ashes history: 1861-1914

Ashes history: 1921-1938

Ashes history: 1946-1970

Ashes history: 1970-1989

Ashes history: 1990-present

© Getty Images

"In affectionate remembrance of English cricket which died at The Oval, 29th August, 1882. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances, RIP. NB The body will be cremated and the Ashes taken to Australia."

Australia’s first victory on English soil over the full strength of England, on August 29, 1882, inspired a young London journalist, Reginald Shirley Brooks, to write this mock “obituary’’. It appeared in the Sporting Times.

Before England’s defeat at The Oval, by seven runs, arrangements had already been made for the Hon. Ivo Bligh, afterwards Lord Darnley, to lead a team to Australia. Three weeks later they set out, now with the popular objective of recovering the Ashes. In the event, Australia won the First Test by nine wickets, but with England winning the next two it became generally accepted that they brought back the Ashes.

It was long believed that the real Ashes – a small urn thought to contain the ashes of a bail used in the third match – were presented to Bligh by a group of Melbourne women. In 1998, Lord Darnley’s 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law’s veil, not a bail. Other evidence suggests a ball. The certain origin of the Ashes, therefore, is the subject of some dispute.

After Lord Darnley’s death in 1927, the urn was given to MCC by Lord Darnley’s Australianborn widow, Florence. It can be seen in the cricket museum at Lord’s, together with a red and gold velvet bag, made specially for it, and the scorecard of the 1882 match

Here is yet another version of the origin and history of the ASHES ,the truth lies probably somewhere in between. Our all-knowing poster imp will of course be able to set us right, I marvel at his postings of events, which his small anti-Australian mind deems to be the truth because some Brit journo said so, but then adds all those presumably,s . Unless stump-cam and stump-mike have been around longer than I think ,its a bit like those cartoons where they ask you to add the captions.

I presume this is the truth Your Honour because presumably, journo,s of British persuasion would presumably presume it to be a presumed fact.

Burnsy,read up on your cricket history and you will find that the history and facts re "the Ashes is still in dispute today. :o

© Getty Images

"In affectionate remembrance of English cricket which died at The Oval, 29th August, 1882. Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances, RIP. NB The body will be cremated and the Ashes taken to Australia."

Australia’s first victory on English soil over the full strength of England, on August 29, 1882, inspired a young London journalist, Reginald Shirley Brooks, to write this mock “obituary’’. It appeared in the Sporting Times.

Before England’s defeat at The Oval, by seven runs, arrangements had already been made for the Hon. Ivo Bligh, afterwards Lord Darnley, to lead a team to Australia. Three weeks later they set out, now with the popular objective of recovering the Ashes. In the event, Australia won the First Test by nine wickets, but with England winning the next two it became generally accepted that they brought back the Ashes.

It was long believed that the real Ashes – a small urn thought to contain the ashes of a bail used in the third match – were presented to Bligh by a group of Melbourne women. In 1998, Lord Darnley’s 82-year-old daughter-in-law said they were the remains of her mother-in-law’s veil, not a bail. Other evidence suggests a ball. The certain origin of the Ashes, therefore, is the subject of some dispute.

After Lord Darnley’s death in 1927, the urn was given to MCC by Lord Darnley’s Australianborn widow, Florence. It can be seen in the cricket museum at Lord’s, together with a red and gold velvet bag, made specially for it, and the scorecard of the 1882 match

Here is yet another version of the origin and history of the ASHES ,the truth lies probably somewhere in between. Our all-knowing poster imp will of course be able to set us right, I marvel at his postings of events, which his small anti-Australian mind deems to be the truth because some Brit journo said so, but then adds all those presumably,s . Unless stump-cam and stump-mike have been around longer than I think ,its a bit like those cartoons where they ask you to add the captions.

I presume this is the truth Your Honour because presumably, journo,s of British persuasion would presumably presume it to be a presumed fact.

Stop it, stop it Ozzy.............you're talking sense again, as my learned friend Fartypants pointed out. Lets resolve this 'dispute' by having a one off contest

Mitteimp v Siam Superfly. 5 rounds. Winner is the one that talks the most <deleted>.

© Getty Images

as my learned friend Fartypants pointed out.

Lamp....

Are u serious !! Pro Fart "learned"........u and Fart remind me of Ren and Stimpy"

Mitt...

from your own link

Those mythical ashes became a reality when the next England team to tour Australia. The Hon Ivo Bligh was presented with an urn containing the burnt remains of a bail after beating the home side 2-1.

They were presented in Oz to the Hon Ivo Bligh by Australians....therefore the ashes were created in Australia...all the reports mentioned still lead to the fact that the Ashes were created in Australia.....what they are made of, is the bone of contention. Mind you there are still some Poms who reckon it is a portion Graces ashes.

The cancer incident I was thinking of was not the one you mentioned. There was a direct reference to the cancer by a particular batsman.

Gamesmanship and sledging is a part of the game....cheating is not.....misclaimed catches are not always cheating....the fielder actually believes he made a good catch and the slow mo action replay proves he had a wrong believe..that is not cheating...A team is allowed to appeal if it believes it has made a good dismissal, the Umpires are then left to judge the veracity of the appeal.

The reason why people dont like the current team now is because they play with a win all business like attitude. Even the English have now said that to beat Australia they have to play with the same winning determination that the Aussies play with. Rare praise indeed from the Poms

© Getty Images

Stop it, stop it Ozzy.............you're talking sense again, as my learned friend Fartypants pointed out. Lets resolve this 'dispute' by having a one off contest

Mitteimp v Siam Superfly. 5 rounds. Winner is the one that talks the most <deleted>.

:D:D:D

Sledging

The 'Mcgrath - Sarwan' incident involved the Australian Glen Mcgrath asking the West Indies vice captain lewd, obscene questions about parts of Brian Laras anatomy (presumably at frustration at not taking a wicket this was the best he could come up with) - Sarwan, presumably bored with such moronic and infantile sledging replied that Mcgrath should ask his wife - a fairly innocent and understandable response in the scheme of things (yes she was recovering from cancer but that was never referred to or really relevent). This is now the accepted view of events by even the Australian team and it was Mcgrath who did the (instructed) apologising after the game. The globally respected Mr Howard (ha ha) made his comments supporting Mcgraths behaviour presumably blissfully unaware of what really happened.

Impy, you conveniently overlooked the following list of "drug cheats" in your enthusiasm to have a go at Australians

England>Paul Smith ,Dermott Reeve,Grahame Wagg and Ed Giddons COCAINE

Asim Butt ECSTACY Keith Piper CANNABIS

South Africa >Andre Nel,Roger Telemachus, Herschelle Gibb ,Paul Kemp,Justin Kemp >CANNABIS

Selectively Quoting facts makes you look like the budgie brain you obviously are,

I could also post the statement from an ex England player in which he said ,"if they had banned every player using drugs when he was playing for England they wouldnt have fielded a team.

Mitt...

from your own link

Those mythical ashes became a reality when the next England team to tour Australia. The Hon Ivo Bligh was presented with an urn containing the burnt remains of a bail after beating the home side 2-1.

They were presented in Oz to the Hon Ivo Bligh by Australians....therefore the ashes were created in Australia...all the reports mentioned still lead to the fact that the Ashes were created in Australia.....what they are made of, is the bone of contention. Mind you there are still some Poms who reckon it is a portion Graces ashes.

The cancer incident I was thinking of was not the one you mentioned. There was a direct reference to the cancer by a particular batsman.

Gamesmanship and sledging is a part of the game....cheating is not.....misclaimed catches are not always cheating....the fielder actually believes he made a good catch and the slow mo action replay proves he had a wrong believe..that is not cheating...A team is allowed to appeal if it believes it has made a good dismissal, the Umpires are then left to judge the veracity of the appeal.

The reason why people dont like the current team now is because they play with a win all business like attitude. Even the English have now said that to beat Australia they have to play with the same winning determination that the Aussies play with. Rare praise indeed from the Poms

Yes.....I think it was said by the team manager' Come on lads,to win the ashes, we don't want the world to loveus,we want the world to hate us'

Sledging

Impy, you conveniently overlooked the following list of "drug cheats" in your enthusiasm to have a go at Australians

England>Paul Smith ,Dermott Reeve,Grahame Wagg and Ed Giddons COCAINE

Asim Butt ECSTACY Keith Piper CANNABIS

South Africa >Andre Nel,Roger Telemachus, Herschelle Gibb ,Paul Kemp,Justin Kemp >CANNABIS

Selectively Quoting facts makes you look like the budgie brain you obviously are,

I could also post the statement from an ex England player in which he said ,"if they had banned every player using drugs when he was playing for England they wouldnt have fielded a team.

They are hardly household names and England test regulars you are naming - Ed Giddons the only one with test experience - about three matches. All of them used recreational drugs - not performance enhancing like podgy Warne.

You are all taking my attack on the OZ team very personally! If you read my comments ive not resorted to cheap personal insults like most! I dont like the Aussie team, they are very good and quite possibly (although it pains me to say it) will retain the Ashes - but i dont like their attitude and a number of the players shame the game of cricket! To be honest I dont really care where the Ashes originated from - its the symbolic name for the contest and thats what matters (although im sure im right about the origins)

and as i write this i'm listening to the 20twenty ashes game - first blood to the poms it would seem. And can justifiably claim to already be the world no1s at this format!

bye bye

MIT

• 1 month later...
Its going to be close thats for sure but I don't think Australia have the firepower witht he ball anymore. If England can bowl well then its going ot be an interesting summer.

Who can't bowl in the Aussie team?..Lee,Gillespie,Warn... and the other bloke who's name starts with K that I can't spell...

You blokes have got Harminson, but who else?

You know the answer now Chuckie? :o

Its going to be close thats for sure but I don't think Australia have the firepower witht he ball anymore. If England can bowl well then its going ot be an interesting summer.

Who can't bowl in the Aussie team?..Lee,Gillespie,Warn... and the other bloke who's name starts with K that I can't spell...

You blokes have got Harminson, but who else?

You know the answer now Chuckie? :D

Maybe.. :o