Bma Claims 100 M Baht Of Damages But Where?

cat5

This one should be posted in Thailand news but I don't have permission to do so.

---

BMA: Rally at Phan Fah costs over 100mn THB in damage

BANGKOK, 19 April 2010 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has estimated damages worth over 100 million THB around Phan Fah Bridge after the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) vacated the area.

A team of BMA officials was dispatched to evaluate the damages caused by the UDD rally at Phan Fah Bridge and along Ratchadamnoen Avenue after the protestors moved to gather at Ratchaprasong Junction instead, according to Director of the BMA's City Planning Department Anchalee Patthamasawan.

Based on the observation, at least 200 street lights and electrical poles along the road were damaged while footpaths and the road surface also needed to be fixed. Ms Anchalee pointed out that the cost of reconstruction to be paid by the BMA could be more than 100 billion THB.

Meanwhile, the renovation projects at Ratchaprasong Junction, Ploenchit Road, Ratchadamri Road, and Pathumwan Intersection, which are currently occupied by the UDD, also need to be postponed. Ms Anchalee said the BMA would have to resume the operation after the protestors dispersed.

News ID: 255304190037

Reporter : Rungkarn Rujiwarangkul

News Date : 19 April 2010

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304190037

I was in the area yesterday and didn't see anything like 100 M baht of damages. Actually, it was difficult to see ANY damage whatsoever. The lack of damage is documented here: http://bit.ly/czrTDb

Presumably, the BMA or National News Bureau of Thailand Public Relations Dept. think that we are plain thick. Either that, or someone plans on making some big money out of the "repairs".

Maybe the contractors are demanding hazard/combat incentives in the bidding process. Forgot where I was for a minute, 'bidding can be deleted' Repairs may include another layer of asphalt to cover up cracks due to subjection of road to massive weight of huge numbers of protesters/army/spectators/vendors/etc.

The projected costs of many projects seem to come about from the latest daily stock market value change, or on the amount of another budget allotment discussed in the past week by another country, preferably a western country with war expenses.

I was in the area yesterday and didn't see anything like 100 M baht of damages. Actually, it was difficult to see ANY damage whatsoever. The lack of damage is documented here: http://bit.ly/czrTDb

Presumably, the BMA or National News Bureau of Thailand Public Relations Dept. think that we are plain thick. Either that, or someone plans on making some big money out of the "repairs".

Not 100 M but then again, it's only one photo from today.

post-22903-1271837378_thumb.jpg