Thailand Says 63,000 Unable To Work Amid Protest Turmoil

webfact

Thailand says 63,000 unable to work amid protest turmoil

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand said Tuesday more than 63,000 workers were unable to do their jobs due to anti-government protests that have caused huge disruption and shuttered shopping centres and hotels.

A giant crossroads in the heart of Bangkok's premier retail district is the current protest base of red-shirt protesters who have mounted four weeks of rolling demonstrations across the capital.

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said that 63,601 workers were temporarily out of work due to the closure of 13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches.

With no end in sight to the standoff, the labour ministry ordered employers to keep paying wages to workers or encourage them to take annual vacation or other leave.

The Thai cabinet also endorsed 25 million baht (774,000 dollars) as a compensation fund after April 10 clashes triggered by a military attempt to clear the protesters left 25 dead and 800 injured.

The families of those who died are entitled to 400,000 baht, people who have been permanently handicapped will receive 200,000 baht and those injured will be awarded 50,000 baht.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-21

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading is fundamental .............

Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said that 63,601 workers were temporarily out of work due to the closure of 13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches.

What kind of workers?

Is there a breakdown by industry such as service, office, transportation, and various others?

Makes no difference.

Workers are people who earn a living working.

Most will be lower scale and needing their pay to make ends meet.

And no small percentage sending money back home to issan too.

63000+ workers currently not getting paid...

Huh all that by from what reports say is 5-15 thousand protesters.

Can we maybe get all those workers to turn up and ask red shirts compensate them for lost job?

What kind of workers?

Is there a breakdown by industry such as service, office, transportation, and various others?

Makes no difference.

And that probably isn't including the thousands that are out of work in the smaller retail shops in Siam Square, or the effect on the small shops in Pratunam, Panthip and Platinum, and the thousands of street vendors who make their money (ripping) off tourists.

Sure is.

If the elite (you must be elite to own Bank, shopping center or hotel in That area, can just lay off workers on the spot, it show something terribly disturbing about how they regard their staff.

They can just stop paying them? Can I just stop paying my staff? Course I can't, they would take me to the cleaners... and rightly so.

So, they are either untouchable when it comes to poor treatment of staff, or they are trying to promote unrest and trying to set their staff against the redshirts.

Not only is reading fundamental, digesting and thinking is also.... but nice try. Why not try a couple of lines of smart alecism next time?

63000+ workers currently not getting paid...

Huh all that by from what reports say is 5-15 thousand protesters.

Can we maybe get all those workers to turn up and ask red shirts compensate them for lost job?

We all should start a class action lawsuit against protesters and organizers, including Thaksin ( I am in since my business is also suffering). That should take care of the rest of Mr. T money

Sure is.

If the elite (you must be elite to own Bank, shopping center or hotel in That area, can just lay off workers on the spot, it show something terribly disturbing about how they regard their staff.

They can just stop paying them? Can I just stop paying my staff? Course I can't, they would take me to the cleaners... and rightly so.

So, they are either untouchable when it comes to poor treatment of staff, or they are trying to promote unrest and trying to set their staff against the redshirts.

Not only is reading fundamental, digesting and thinking is also.... but nice try. Why not try a couple of lines of smart alecism next time?

Most Thais (particularly in retail and tourism) work on short term or daily contracts, so if they don't work, they don't get paid.

Now, before you go into your "it's all the 'elites' fault" b***s***, it isn't just the "elite" doing this. ALL (reds, yellows, clears etc) businesses do it, in Bangkok, in regional centres, on the farms ... everywhere.

What kind of workers?

Makes no difference.

And that probably isn't including the thousands that are out of work in the smaller retail shops in Siam Square, or the effect on the small shops in Pratunam, Panthip and Platinum, and the thousands of street vendors who make their money (ripping) off tourists.

Your response is just ludicrous, Grandpops. The issue isn't whether employers should have to pay their disadvantaged staff (of course they should), but rather whether the red-shirted rabble you consistently support should be permitted to force these poor folk out of work on behalf of the criminal Thaksin.

Sadly some of those 60,000+ workers are probably from upcountry. Their relatives are red shirts, but these workers are here trying to make a living and sending money back home. Ironic isn't it? ...that so-called homosapiens with brains bigger than apes act more savagely than apes.

Hahahahahahaha....hihihihihihi ... too funny!!!! :)

To get a number like 63,000 people not able to work ... i think they took an estimate for one day and multiplied it by the number of days ... then rounded up ... and then added 1 to make the number look more believable .....

So not 63001 people unable to work but rather 2250 people unable to work for a month. Hihihihihi :D

Okay, enough observing and commenting... I think I'm packing my bags and getting out of Bangkok this weekend. This could be brutal. The violence can spill over to Sukhumvit. I read last night this Thai interpreter was beat up by some red shirt guards, as he was walking down the street near Chula Hospital.

These red shirts are getting desperate. They are not trailing their hatred towards the government anymore.... it will be on anyone who opposes them. Why I would not be surprised if they didn't try to blow up the World Trade Center, just like the terrorists did in NYC on 9/11!!!

Of course, we've heard all this before... idle threats back and forth and nothing happens... then again....

To get a number like 63,000 people not able to work ... i think they took an estimate for one day and multiplied it by the number of days ... then rounded up ... and then added 1 to make the number look more believable .....

So not 63001 people unable to work but rather 2250 people unable to work for a month. Hihihihihi :D

I'm absolutly sure it takes only 2250 people to run quote "13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches."

And then there's all the stores inside Central world that hasn't opened since the red's moved in.

Nice to see you laugh at a how many people aren't getting work and business owners losing money since they can't open their stores.

You are too silly! :D They are talking about people not "man-days!" And besides, 2,250 people is just two or three hotels only!!!!!

I'm absolutly sure it takes only 2250 people to run quote "13 hotels, five department stores and 30 bank branches."

And then there's all the stores inside Central world that hasn't opened since the red's moved in.

Nice to see you laugh at a how many people aren't getting work and business owners losing money since they can't open their stores.

lols!!!! Reality check, my friend... do you really think that up and down Rajadamri - four hotels + , four shopping centers, numerous office towers, that there are only 2,000+ people working? You are not serious, are you????

A friend's girlfriend owns a couple of shops in that district. Fortunately, she just sold her condo and moved in with him. Otherwise, she would probably be unable to make this month's payment & would probably lose it. The big department stores can afford to lose a few weeks worth of business, the smaller shop owners are the ones who will really suffer. Another month or so of protests & she will probably lose everything.

Lesson Learned for Prime Minister Abhisit[/i][/u]: This notion of moderation, toleration and patience in dealing with conflict only works when the other side is reasonable. If not, then you have to treat the other side like a wild animal and tame it early before it wrecks havoc like a bull run wild in a china shop (Bangkok).

A friend's girlfriend owns a couple of shops in that district. Fortunately, she just sold her condo and moved in with him. Otherwise, she would probably be unable to make this month's payment & would probably lose it. The big department stores can afford to lose a few weeks worth of business, the smaller shop owners are the ones who will really suffer. Another month or so of protests & she will probably lose everything.

No wonder the multi-colored shirt protesters are so vicious and vocal against the red shirts now... can't blame them... their livelihood has been threatened... now let's see what is more motivating: bribing people with luxuries or survival of the fittest!!!

And comprehension is even more fundamental. If you want to be a smartass, then do the math first and then come back with an intelligent retort. The typical bank branch employs 6-10 people. A department store has no more than 100 and a large hotel around 250. Do the math; 500+3250+ 300 = 4050. Even if the head count is doubled that still only gives 8100. The fact of the matter is that the department stores and hotels have still kept staff onsite to maintain and guard the premises. For argument's sake, I have not even deducted those people who probably account for 10-20% of the 8100.

My question remains, how is the 63,601 arrived at?

No wonder the multi-colored shirt protesters are so vicious and vocal against the red shirts now... can't blame them... their livelihood has been threatened... now let's see what is more motivating: bribing people with luxuries or survival of the fittest!!!

I forgot the mention... Her workers aren't unemployed now, they were all offered 500 baht per day to join the Red Shirts. :)

lols!!!! Reality check, my friend... do you really think that up and down Rajadamri - four hotels + , four shopping centers, numerous office towers, that there are only 2,000+ people working? You are not serious, are you????

You seem to miss the implied sarcasm there buddy.

I was pointing out how ludicrous it is to think you only need 2250 people to run that many business'.

I forgot the mention... Her workers aren't unemployed now, they were all offered 500 baht per day to join the Red Shirts. :)

You have got to be kidding.

"Hi, yea its our fault you can't work.. How about you join us we can pay you a couple hundred a day... But yea when it's over you still wont have a job... And we can't give you money for the days you weren't part of the crowd."

And comprehension is even more fundamental. If you want to be a smartass, then do the math first and then come back with an intelligent retort. The typical bank branch employs 6-10 people. A department store has no more than 100 and a large hotel around 250. Do the math; 500+3250+ 300 = 4050. Even if the head count is doubled that still only gives 8100. The fact of the matter is that the department stores and hotels have still kept staff onsite to maintain and guard the premises. For argument's sake, I have not even deducted those people who probably account for 10-20% of the 8100.

My question remains, how is the 63,601 arrived at?

Are you suggesting that Central World has ONLY 100 employees? Paragon only 100 employees? Have you EVER been there?

Do you know how many bank branches are in each of these locations?

It would be at least 2000 people not working in Central World department store alone, you idiot. Then factor in Siam Paragon, Central Chitlom, Platinum, the four hotels that have closed, the several bank branches, all the smaller shops and businesses in the area plus supporting services (deliveries, buss routes etc) and all of a sudden 63,000 people actually looks quite realistic.

I live and work in this area, so im not talking out of my ass right now. I have to walk through the piss/shit smelling camp at least twice a day (double that if i venture out of the office to get lunch) - I see (and smell) these disgusting pigs every day, Soi Dogs are cleaner!

Several times i have been stopped by the red guards who try to search and intimidate me, most of them are armed all of them are nasty. My female staff wont venture outside of the office unless they are in a group with a few guys with them, some of the gutter talk coming out of these red guards mouth would be enough to make most hookers blush, not to mention my female staff being groped and intimidated. I have seen this with my own eyes! Filthy red animal scum!

You seem to miss the implied sarcasm there buddy.

I was pointing out how ludicrous it is to think you only need 2250 people to run that many business'.

Gotcha, buddy!

Tick, tock, tick, tock..." How long will Abhisit... or is it Suthep... or is it Anupong... wait until they "disperse" the protesters? What in the world are you waiting for? A full civil war? Are you waiting for time to pass because people will forget the problem, because it isn't that big anyway? The time for waiting, thinking, contemplating, giving people a chance, protocol, process management, procrastinating, IS OVER!

You have got to be kidding.

"Hi, yea its our fault you can't work.. How about you join us we can pay you a couple hundred a day... But yea when it's over you still wont have a job... And we can't give you money for the days you weren't part of the crowd."

They were offered the money when the protests began. I don't think that anyone in Bangkok thought that the protests would last for more than a week or so.

the longer the reds protest the more the economic meltdown happens, then next week combine the yellow shirt movement and suddenly over time a 3rd protest begins the unemployment group which this group will form or simply join the yellow or red side. On top of this you can only have constant losses for so long, eventually the company, hotel, shop, mall will close, and go bankrupt. yellows went to protest for more than 3 months if I remember correctly. the reds have been here more than a month already. I read today hotels are running 10% occupancy, one hotel dropped to 2% occupancy then decided to just close