Recommend An Internet Package?

ravip

Can someone please recommend an Internet Package which is reasonably priced & reliable in Cha Am area? Preferably an 'unlimited' package.

In the 3bb promotion of the 4mb package... Dothey mean the Indy4 package is limited to 4MB, speed 4096/512 and 590/= Bahts per month?

What about the router/modem, startup fee etc etc?

Any other which is better and cheaper?

Thank you.

help.gif

In northern Thailand, CAT offers hi speed internet using a USB key. Speed is 3.1 Mbps and very effective, you can download a whole movie (700mB = 1 CD) in less than 2 hours, so it's comparable to speeds found in the US and Europe.

Price is 790 THB per month for a 1 year subscription and when I subscribed in January there was a promo including 3 months for free.

You must buy the USB key which costs about 6000 THB and includes a micro usb slot to use the key a as storage (up to 8 or 16 GB). The software is in the key and installs flawlessly under XP and Win7. Not sure for Mac.

Do note that you need to present a work permit but I asked my tuk tuk driver to sign for me and was no problem (I paid 3 months in advance and got 6 months of service), we had a couple of beers afterward ;-)

In southern Thailand, the system is identical but under the brand Hutch / Huthinson (I tried it as well in Ko Phangan and worked great)

This works even in remote areas and uses WCDMA, u can purchase a 2000 baht antenna which boosts the signal up to 50 kilometers from the source (making this a great solution for users in Laos as well - if on the mekong though you should be fine without it)

For those looking for a cheaper / short term solution, dtac has a great offer if you have a gprs phone (Nokia and Samsung models have good connection software): unlimited monthly packages with for ex. 100 hours for 200 THB (50 hour promo, 50 hours free) which is great for email and speedy enough for basic surfing (230 kbps) - you just load your account with the desired credit and call 1678 to activate the internet option. They speak English and it works immediately, pretty cool!

There are certainly other solutions out there but I have found the above two to be the best in my case.

Good Luck!

TOT give 4mb connection for 850 Baht mth and is available in Cha Am.

Since 3BB started up the TOT packages have been upgrading almost 6 monthly. D/l speeds of 200+ kbs from torrent sites.

No start up fee. Modem and cables were included in the package. Unlimited d/l. They do wi-fi too.

I have heard that 3BB are unreliable. Especially their tech support and their billing. Other may say different. With TOT I have had no problem with tech support or with bills and was only disconnected once after forgetting to pay the bill on time because I was in the UK.