Cambodia

Springman

i am just coming back from cambodia with my own car.

you can bring your car into cambodia at koh khong border and you dont have to pay for it, even though they will ask you to do so...

you are allowed to drive within the borderprovince koh khong then.

if you want to travel further, i advise you to take of your numberplates.

avoid shianoukville inner city and phnom phen and seam reap, since you will have to pay "fines" to every policeman who stops you... (20.- dollar / 10.- dollar per time)

otherwise it will be no problem to drive within cambodia and nobody will stop you anyway.

Easy to do. Foolish to do. And I'm someone who takes chances. However I try never to set myself up as a target and if you plan to "tour Cambodia" , your words, that is exactly what you will become. Think twice.

There have been many people on this forum who have asked the same question!

Not one who said they are going to do it has come back with a decent trip report of the pros and cons

I tend to agree with roamer and forkinhandles it just creates problems for you when you are supposed to be on holiday touring so i would not do it....also if you are being stopped by the police and getting fleeced for dollar everytime that is not going to put you in a good state of mind to enjoy the country is it?

I have been into Cambodia on numerous occasions and only once drove a car from Poi Pet up to Angor Wat which was a goodwill gesture for a group of local monks from the village,also it was one of the monks car.

I would never do it for myself as the price of getting a bus or renting a driver are low and enable you to relax a little while enjoying the trip at your leisure and not looking around you and worrying about your vehicle everyday.

It is quite easy to become a target in a Thai registered car you will stand out and the main danger is that it will be stolen.

Antaros post above says that it s safe to drive in Cambodia(if you dont mind paying police every day!! and take the plates off your car?? :) ) as long as you stay away fom the main tourist points which in itself is contradictory.

I will say to you if you do decide on doing it can you report back to us of your experience please.

I think generaly the hatred betwwen people of Cambodia and Thailand is overrated and hardliners who throw stones at Thai registered vehicles are rare,

emerge when disputes are in flames, but usualy its calm.

Many Motorbikes, groups of Harleys and so on drive now on the good roads between Bangkok, Pattaya and Sihanoukville.

I was never driving with a Thai number plate, but I drove for month on two occasions between PP-SNV-Vietnamese border and Koh Kong-SNV and in SNV,

had always a helmet on, never got stopped by police, never had to pay money.

I think generaly the hatred betwwen people of Cambodia and Thailand is overrated and hardliners who throw stones at Thai registered vehicles are rare,

emerge when disputes are in flames, but usualy its calm.

Many Motorbikes, groups of Harleys and so on drive now on the good roads between Bangkok, Pattaya and Sihanoukville.

I was never driving with a Thai number plate, but I drove for month on two occasions between PP-SNV-Vietnamese border and Koh Kong-SNV and in SNV,

had always a helmet on, never got stopped by police, never had to pay money.

The Op is asking about driving a car Alfredo not riding a bike!

It is very different from driving a car i have done both and Thais are in the main scared of Cambodians their.

EASY; have done it many times.

You need your car book. Drive to the border, fill out the forms ( legally your only supposed to take the car out 30 days but....)

walk over to Cambodia and apply for your visa then you hand them the paperwork they gave u in thailand and you will be asked how long you want to stay . You pay 100 baht /day so i always tell them 3 and be done with. They issue u a red plastic license plate which u are to keep on ur dash.

I have stayed from 6 months, ( one trip where i lived in PP) to 2 weeks and never any hassle leaving ( i have always left via another border rather than Koh Kong). Having your own car is great and u will get to explore places others pass thur on the bus. I have a honda civic and went everywhere on dirt roads and such. I have exitied via Poipet, Paulin and Osmach up north. Only thing i had to do was replace brake pads, rubbers and springs after a year. Note also it seems the tires you get in Cambodia are not the same quilty as the oens in Thailand BUT the batteries are and Cheap. Body work is also about 60% of what you pay in Thailand.

Keep in mind ur driving on the other side so your close to the side of the road rather than in the middle. Only hassle is passing... :)

Regardless of what everyone seems to think your car is not targeted in any city. I was stopped once in all my trips in and out for making an illegeal left turn. The cop went to the wrong window and i smiled and he came around and asked for my license. I showed him my thai license ( 5 year new cc type licenses are good in Cambodia but nobody cares.) he wanted it but i would not give it to hi,. He asked for $20 I gave him $5 and that was it. I have left my car on the streest in SR. PP, Battambang, Snooky, kep and everywhere inbetwen and never had any problems...

Your car has no more risk of being stolen in Cambodia than thailand I am so tired of all these posters claiming bad about Cambodians. If you have prove your at risk tell us otherwise F$#k off.

Many times in the country side they would see my thai plates and smile at me.

Take it and have a great trip!!

Edited by phuketrichard