Fortuner Suv - Safety

I'm probably going to buy a Fortuner in the near future(have a test drive scheduled this afternoon for the Diesel and Gasoline versions) .

For SUVs a normal problem is rollover - turning tight and it goes over on you.

In the US, they test high center-of-gravity vehicles for this risk and it is well known which vehicles are dangerous.

My question is, does anyone know about the rollover risk for the Fortuner(Diesel Auto/T model) ?

Is there a rollover bar in the event of rollover to prevent the passengers from being crushed?

I looked at the brochures(which are in Thai) and didn't seem to see anything about this.

Is there an organization in Thailand that checks for this kind of problem?

(In the US consumer reports and other private orgs, as well as some US govt agencies, sometimes test for this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help.

There's some "car safety comission" that approves all local cars before going into production and the MAY run some tests but I've never seen any actual numbers or comparisons coming out.

Given that Fortuner is an IMV vehicle (Toyota's global platform for pickup trucks and their spin-offs) I would expect Toyota's engineers to consider roll-overs in their design.

Tell us about your test drive, please.

There's some "car safety comission" that approves all local cars before going into production and the MAY run some tests but I've never seen any actual numbers or comparisons coming out.

Given that Fortuner is an IMV vehicle (Toyota's global platform for pickup trucks and their spin-offs) I would expect Toyota's engineers to consider roll-overs in their design.

Tell us about your test drive, please.

I loved the test drive, but didn't have a chance to slam on the brakes in a tight turn to see if I could flip it. Much quitier than I expected, my wife test drove it at the same time, and it wasn't a long drive (we did a chinese fire drill to switch drivers while stuck in traffic on Rama IX). Seem fine to me.

I'm no expert driver.

Got a connection that'll get me a diesel 3.0 in 2 months, so I'm told.

If it works out I'll be a lucky SOB.

S.U.V,s dont roll over ,idiots behind the wheel roll them just like they can any automotive vehicle.If you particularly want an SUV ,drive it like the hi c.o.g vehicle that it is or take an advanced driving course.

Suzuki stopped making the Caribean model because someone in the States

(where else?) managed to turn one over cornering at excess speed.

Just how fast do you want to take tight bends?

I don't know which instance you are quoting there but the problem was turning it over forwards not sideways.

The real problem is inadvertant rolling. Sometimes one makes a sudden swerve to avoid hitting someone or something. Perhaps one almost misses a turn and tries to take it a little faster than normal. SH1T happens, as some of us say.

10 years ago or so in the States, Jeep had a model that flipped too frequently. Thats the real question - in an unusual situation such as mentioned above, what percentage of the time are you going to tip or roll in a given vehicle.

That's the kind of info I'd like to have but don't.

Its basic physics - it can be measured for a vehicle and compared with other vehicles; tipping points in various conditions can be determined etc.

In current circumstances, without data, all we can go with is empirical observations - have we heard of many (or few to none) cases of Fortuners doing the nasty the hard way? It don't have no roll bar, like say Land Rover's Freelander.

In one of those wierd coincidences which may be a harbinger of things to come,

my wife just now came back from the office via taxi(we ain't got our Fortuner yet) and spied a Honda CR-V top down, flipped over on its roof on RAMA IX road. It just rained . There was a crowd of young Thais standing around the car. The roof had not collapsed(does the CR-V have a roll bar or roof structural support ?) so thankfully, no one apparently was hurt. It hadn't happened on a curve or bend. Looks like some young Thai was going to fast and hit a curb in the reduced visibility and just got flipped.

:o

rah, rah, made it to sam loi :D

In the manual of the fortuner there is a warning for higher than normal risque of roll over .

I found this same type of warning in my manual of the ssanyong boxer!

On the other hand it is very comfortable during rainy season (flooding) :o

In the manual of the fortuner there is a warning for higher than normal risque of roll over .

I found this same type of warning in my manual of the ssanyong boxer!

On the other hand it is very comfortable during rainy season (flooding) :D

I've got a delivery date of mid August from one of the dealers in the provinces. Got to go and pick up my 'truck'. Love to set my hands on an english language version of the manual for the 3.0 Diesel Automatic Transmission model.

Got any ideas?

Do they really spell it "risque" anywhere ? :o

The manual is:

Publication No.OM99897EDOME

printed 1st,December2004

TOYOTA MOTOR THSILAND CO LTD

186/1 Mu 1,Oldrailway Rd,Samrong Tai,

A.Phrapradaeng,Samutprakarn 10130.

Tel.0-2386-1000

It reads on page 170:

This vehicle design feature causes this type of vehicle to be more likely to rollover.And,utility vehicles have a significantly higher rollover rate than other types of vehicles.............. It is not designed for cornering at the same speeds as ordinary passenger cars any more than slow-slung sports cars designed to perform satisfactorily under off-road conditions. Therefore,sharp turns at excessive speeds may cause rollover.

Not the word " risque " , but clear enough.

The manual is:

Publication No.OM99897EDOME

printed 1st,December2004

TOYOTA MOTOR THSILAND CO LTD

186/1 Mu 1,Oldrailway Rd,Samrong Tai,

A.Phrapradaeng,Samutprakarn 10130.

Tel.0-2386-1000

It reads on page  170:

This vehicle design feature causes this type of vehicle to be more likely to rollover.And,utility vehicles have a significantly higher rollover rate than other types of vehicles.............. It is not designed for cornering at the same speeds as ordinary passenger cars any more than slow-slung sports cars designed to perform satisfactorily under off-road conditions. Therefore,sharp turns at excessive speeds may cause rollover.

Not the word " risque " , but clear enough.

Thanks for the manual quotation.

• 3 months later...