Land Crackdown And Subsidence In North

george

Land crackdown and subsidence in North

PHRAE: -- A large crackdown and subsidence of land was found in Thailand's northern province of Phrae yesterday, believed to have been caused by the last December tsunami.

The land crackdown and subsidence, measured 20 metres wide and 2 kilometres long, was found in the province's Sung Meng District.

Ruptures with subsidences were also found in buildings of Ban Praluang School and the Praluang Temple near the area.

More than two dozens of households surrounding the area were also damaged, according to local officials.

Phrae Governor Santad Chatuchai and a senior geologist from the Department of Mineral Resources rushed to inspect the area, and declared it a seal-off area.

The geologist said that the area was affected by the last December tsunami.

"Officials are giving hands to local residents affected by the incident", said the governor.

"We are also considering to evacuate the residents from the area if necessary", he added.

--TNA 2005-06-04

Land subsidence is usually caused by pumping ground water out. Are there alot of rich farmers in the area who are pumping alot of ground water and would rather the tsunami be blamed for this instead of their pumping? I'm just wondering...not trying to start a rumor...I'm probably wrong.

A large crackdown and subsidence of land...

We are also considering to evacuate....

Officials are giving hands to local residents...

and declared it a seal-off area...

More than two dozens of households....

They could use a new Editor :o

Land subsidence is usually caused by pumping ground water out.  Are there alot of rich farmers in the area who are pumping alot of ground water and would rather the tsunami be blamed for this instead of their pumping?  I'm just wondering...not trying to start a rumor...I'm probably wrong.

There is a fairly large fault running north/south in that area. It could have been affected by the large Quake off Sumatra on Dec 26, but I can't see how a Geologist could so easily pinpoint the timing and cause in this case, but it obviously had NOTHING to do with any Tsunami. That is just ridiculous. It is at least a thousand kilometers from the nearest ocean.

George, I hope you can find a better Thai news source than the government TNA :o

TNA is a fantastic source for a good laugh sometimes. :o

We are negotiating with other sources, but it costs a fortune to use those. Would be much, much cheaper to employ a farang freelancer to rewrite and publish. Any takers?

We are negotiating with other sources, but it costs a fortune to use those. Would be much, much cheaper to employ a farang freelancer to rewrite and publish. Any takers?

Yeah, I get a chuckle sometimes, too. :D

Anyway, onward through the fog, and good luck in finding an alternative to TNA.

Don't be too hasty to jump to conclusions.

I live 10 kms from Sung Men and on 27th Dec 2004 a crack appeared in the concrete at the back of the house, missing the swimming pool by about 4 metres. Only 1cm wide but the timing was a big co-incidence.

It would save me from posting my news stories in "General Topics" instead of Thailand News Clippings. I wouldn't mind trying out for it... I have a variety of "mostly" reliable news sources.. :D

What is the better word in English for 'crackdown'? Is it a rupture or fissure in the earth's surface, a wide gap? Surely not twenty meters wide - isn't that more likely the diameter of the sinkhole or subsidence?

Yes, a one-centimer crack in a swimming pool or retaining wall on the day of the earthquake is one thing; we felt the quake way up north. But five months later, and twenty meters wide? No connection.

If there's a fault line running through there, is it an active fault? A few million people live on the Balcones Fault in Texas, but the tremors are infrequent and miniscule, although it must have made one big whoop when it was created millions of years before.

A large crackdown and subsidence of land...

We are also considering to evacuate....

Officials are giving hands to local residents...

and declared it a seal-off area...

More than two dozens of households....

They could use a new Editor  :o

I thought they were talking about crackdown on illegal land subsidies at first. :D We call them sinkholes.

Edited by xyz

..But five months later, and twenty meters wide?  No connection...

The report doesn't say it has only just happened, but that it has only just been found.

It's obviously in a pretty inhospitable region, inhabited only by the Thetyim's of this world :o:D

" subsidences were also found in buildings of Ban Praluang School and the Praluang Temple near the area."

Ahh, Praluang Temple. Thats the one that leans due to subsidence about 100 years ago.

And about 5 years ago a big sinkhole appeared very near the temple.

What has this got to do with the Tsunami ?

Money

" subsidences were also found in buildings of Ban Praluang School and the Praluang Temple near the area."

Ahh,  Praluang Temple.  Thats the one that leans due to subsidence about 100 years ago.

And  about 5 years ago a big sinkhole appeared very near the temple.

What has this got to do with the Tsunami ?

Money

I hope they have better luck getting their mits on the tsunami money than the People of Phuket.

Ya Nui beach, a couple of days ago (5 1/2 months after the tsunami):

yanuidscn75495jo.jpg