Replacement For Tot Internet

GROshmo

Does anyone have a good substitute for TOT I've been using it for a while now and I'm not happy at all. I've lost connection numerous times (without reason) so I'm finally fed up an decided to switch ISP's. Any suggestions?

TOT is similarly awful here in Phuket and apparently most everywhere. Our computer club members log the speeds of their services, and 3BB seems the current best-buy.

There are so many complaints on TOT in Thaivisa.......why juz couldn't TOT wake up!!! Boycott TOT, shall we. (I had already)

From Saraphi Chiang Mai ... I am fed up with TOT ...Was / am paying through the nose at originally 2,675 Baht for multiple users (up to 5) for bad connectivity and performance and then changed to 1 user for 1,605 / month (but still have 4-5 users ) and it's just not worth it ...same type of download speed and sites don't open and take forever if they do... nothing changed ... Yes I know , lower speed rate for 1 user / versus 5 and all that... the thing is, it is almost always only one user here and that is what I am coparing it too ...I got TT&T Maxnet (Finally after waiting 2 years for a telephone connection ) and it is much better ...much much better for 845 Baht/Month all inclusive ...(tel & Internet)...Yup it does go down once and a while and even disconnects once in a while ... but compared to TOT it is a savior as my buss depends on internet as it is never down more than 5-10 min ... and if there is a serious problem and I call they are usually here within 24 hours and fix it ... so now I will cancel TOT as they really s--k !!

TOT is similarly awful here in Phuket and apparently most everywhere. Our computer club members log the speeds of their services, and 3BB seems the current best-buy.

NO it's Location Location Location!!! I'm within 400M of a TOT Remote Concentrator/Switch Unit in East BKK and get at least 170kbps ADSL download at most times on a bad day.

TRUE has been rock solid for me, only experienced maybe 15 minutes of downtime in 3 months. But I think Pushit is right, location makes all the difference with DSL lines. And being 1K from the Kad Suan Kaew area probably helps.

NO it's Location Location Location!!! I'm within 400M of a TOT Remote Concentrator/Switch Unit in East BKK and get at least 170kbps ADSL download at most times on a bad day.

That's it exactly. I am in CM city and within a few km's of the TOT office. My 4 mb TOT plan rocks. Never less than 1 mb but usually in the 2 to 3.5 mb range. I have seen as high as 5 mb as measured with speedtest back to the states. The speedtest just to BKK is meaningless except to deduce when the international bandwidth is the issue.

So it sounds like the problem people are having is with their local loops or ISP local switches. Another provider might have better remote switches/bandwidth but it all depends and there is a lot of sharing of equipment between providers. It could just be bad local copper or congested shared switches and in that case switching ISP's will not accomplish much if anything.

Doing a survey of neighbors to find out which of them get fast speeds and their ISP choice is helpful. Sometimes you can connect to their unsecured Wifi's and test for yourself. You might also want to pay or arrange wifi access to another provider via a neighbor etc and test the provider before drawing a conclusion.

edit. PS. TOT from as far as I can see rarely has downtime. If your experiencing interruptions then the problem is not TOT backbone but something more distributed in their network.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

TRUE has been rock solid for me, only experienced maybe 15 minutes of downtime in 3 months. But I think Pushit is right, location makes all the difference with DSL lines. And being 1K from the Kad Suan Kaew area probably helps.

I'm about 1K from Kad Suan Kaew, on Nimmanhamin. True was great for several months, started to go downhill about a week ago, and has been crap for the last few days. Lately is seems like almost everyone is complaining about internet service, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm about 1K from Kad Suan Kaew, on Nimmanhamin. True was great for several months, started to go downhill about a week ago, and has been crap for the last few days. Lately is seems like almost everyone is complaining about internet service, I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm not. I'm using AIS through my phone.