Thai Protesters Brace For Crackdown As Compromise Rejected

webfact

Great post. However, I think the Isaan speaking population is closer to 26,000,000. At any rate, it's the largest regional (ethnic, if you will) population in Thailand. :)

Imangine those number of votes! Businessman Thaksin's marketing strategy really worked as he captured these Regions. He knows exactly what these people wants from a politician and he did exactly that. Good for the people though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post. However, I think the Isaan speaking population is closer to 26,000,000. At any rate, it's the largest regional (ethnic, if you will) population in Thailand. :)

Imangine those number of votes! Businessman Thaksin's marketing strategy really worked as he captured these Regions. He knows exactly what these people wants from a politician and he did exactly that. Good for the people though.

Yes 26 million and then add on North Thailand for another 10 million.

Just head North of Bangkok 50 miles and you are in Thai speaking areas still but the color is red.

cannot blame you fellas that you support the Reds as your better half are form N/NE. anyhow, i can also tell you that not all people in that region are pro-reds. well at least none of my friends and definitely not my better half and in-laws.

what might be the reason behind?

perhaps because these non-reds supporters all studied in bangkok? now live and work in bangkok?

what i have observed is that they are all aware what thaksin had done not only the goods things but also the bad.

Edited by LuckyFive8888

cannot blame you fellas that you supports the Reds as your better half are form N/NE. anyhow, i can also tell you that not all people in that region are pro-reds. well at least none of my friends and definitely not my better half and in-laws.

what might be the reason behind?

perhaps because these non-reds supporters all studied in bangkok? now live and work in bangkok?

what i have observed is that they are all aware what thaksin had done as they have access to the news, internet, and integrated with the bangkok people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nonsense

Therein (apart from being a Geordie and Newcastle Utd supporter) lies his greatest strength - he's mostly outside the entrenched methodologies and corruptions, he also has seen alternatives work and work well - remember he returned to Thailand when UK was at its economic peak and so didn't see the crash first hand. He's seen what Thailand could become if the foundation work is done properly, which he's started with the free health care and education mandates. However, it's likely he has not mastered the art of having eyeballs in the back of his head and a forked tongue.

Being a Geordie he may also be too straight talking away from the media (most of us are) and this may be where he loses allies in tough decisions, which in turn could be the cause of perceptions that he wavers and hesitates. Never forget too that "Mr Fence Sitter Statesman" Chuan Leepai is his mentor - a diligent, honest, and hard working PM, yes, but also widely criticised by Thais as being unable to make a decision if his next meal relied on it. Some of that must be influencing Abhisit's "if you don't know what to do, do nothing" public face.

Very good analisys of Abhisit and Chuan.

Yes, one can just imagine a day in Abhisit's life before the current troubles:

Abhisit's private secretary upon Abhisit's arrival at the office for his day's agenda: "Good morning Prime Minister. Your chauffeur is ready."

Abhisit: "My chauffeur? I have to prepare for an important cabinet meeting."

Secretary: "No, sir. You are opening the new shopping mall at Nakhon Nowhere today."

Abhisit: "But what about my cabinet meeting?"

Secretary: "Mr Suthep has very kindly offered to stand in for you again. Sir, if I may be so presumptuous, the mall-opening ceremony starts in less than an hour. Oh, and General Anupong called."

Abhisit: "What did he want?"

Secretary: "Don't know, sir. He just said 'Tell the boy to call me as soon as he gets in the office'."

Abhisit trudges off to the waiting limo whilst simultaneously scrolling the contacts of his cell phone and thinking to himself: "How on Buddha's earth did I get myself involved with this shower?"

I have just read this thread and for the first time I am compelled to join this forum. Everybody is entitled to an opinion so I will give mine. It would appear that most people on this thread are based in the more affluent areas of Thailand and have never ventured further north than Don Muang Airport and if they have it has never been for any extended period.

Posters using phrases like 'minority rabble' just indicate their total ignorance of what is really happeninng in Thailand. How can 20,000,000 people be a minority. Yes 20,000,000, that is the amount of people living in the NE regions of Thailand. Add the North and they clearly have a majority. It has always been a non written policy of many previous thai Governments to keep these people poor and keep them this way so they go down to the 'smoke' and take jobs to help feed their families. Without these people BKK would shut in a few days. Posters should be aware if all migrants workers went home South of Ayuttyha would cease to function.

Sorry I slightly digressed there. This is a class war between the old elite and the new money. The old elite has paid the army to do there dirty work for centuries. When they dont like a government they call a General and we have them removed. The new money has enlisted the help of the poor to further their cause but there will be a price to pay when they finally take power. The poor have now been empowered and the genie is out of the bottle and he is not going back. Forget Thaksin, he is just the bus driver for this crusade and on his return he understands he will have to retain that support to keep power.

Living amongst these people I have realised Thaksin is just a figurehead who either personally, or with help from interested parties, has managed to raise enough funds to keep this protest thriving. These people want social reform and a bigger piece of the pie.

There can only be one outcome if you think logically. That outcome may come tomorrow or 1 year from now or 10 years from now, but be sure it will come. This is not just about fair elections it about winning back power that was unlawfully stole from them in a coup. Not only do they want elections, the leaders of this movement want removal of all the money families that run Thailand. You remove them and there is nobody to instigate another coup. The 'Amataya (elite) will do whatever it takes to keep a grip on this country, even throw grenades into their own supporters to cause one side to fight the other. They are looking for a reason, to justify to the watching world, a ruthless crackdown.

What is scaring the current elite is the finances flowing into this movment and where it might be coming from. That takky chappie has been on a jolly around the world for 3 years.... I dont think so. I believe he has been flying around garnering support to enable his return. Making promises to smaller nations of trade links and access to do business in Thailand in return for donations to his movement. Haven't the arabs been trying to get access to grow rice here but have been told you can only own 49%. Paints a nice picture for Thaksin,returns to power and then changes current legislation to allow the arabs 100% access to grow rice here. Oh where is all the rice grown.... yes red shirt country and they will get xxx more money per tonne. Game over..Tilt. Dont you just love this guy

The above is just a scenario of what might be happening but please take your blinkers off and forget your own insignificant life and see things from both sides. Thaksin is a poor man by Thailands elite standards and cannot afford to finance this movement alone. Somebody is helping him.

Yes my support leans towards the reds but I want a peaceful conclusion to all this and no more deaths. I have got 3 children born here in Isaan and if somebody does not remove these faceless people from power my kids may grow up with no prospects, no money and no future. I apologise to all living in Bkk and my feelings to all grieving relatives on both sides.

This fight for reform was won two years ago when that funeral pyrah( maybe mispelt) was lit.

I just have a couple of points here. 1st. 20m of 60m is not a majority, 2nd the fact that so many people migrate to a more developed area from an less developed areas is not unique. mexico city, new york city, london, paris. etc.... job and opportunities are always more abundant where the majority of people live. 3rd. it is my bet that if the current batch of migrants left bkk they would be replaced very quickly by a other set immediatly. my final point and my biggest issue with yours and many others post who seem to think that the government is the cause of these poor peoples lack of ambition, personal accountablility, and motivation. let me ask you this as a long time resident of the n or ne why, do so many of the young girls up there have sex with family members (this is not a flame it is a fact) what causes these males to use their women in such ways? why is std rampant in these parts even though the govt has made great efforts to educate them? the point i am making is no govt can cure this mentality and obviously not all people from the ne are like this in fact many do raise themselves up from humble beginnings and prosper without selling their bodies. the thais in the north have schools just like the thais in the south, if they want change they should start by looking within themsleves 1st. but that is just mo and we all know what o's are worth.

I have just read this thread and for the first time I am compelled to join this forum. Everybody is entitled to an opinion so I will give mine. It would appear that most people on this thread are based in the more affluent areas of Thailand and have never ventured further north than Don Muang Airport and if they have it has never been for any extended period.

Posters using phrases like 'minority rabble' just indicate their total ignorance of what is really happeninng in Thailand. How can 20,000,000 people be a minority. Yes 20,000,000, that is the amount of people living in the NE regions of Thailand. Add the North and they clearly have a majority. It has always been a non written policy of many previous thai Governments to keep these people poor and keep them this way so they go down to the 'smoke' and take jobs to help feed their families. Without these people BKK would shut in a few days. Posters should be aware if all migrants workers went home South of Ayuttyha would cease to function.

Sorry I slightly digressed there. This is a class war between the old elite and the new money. The old elite has paid the army to do there dirty work for centuries. When they dont like a government they call a General and we have them removed. The new money has enlisted the help of the poor to further their cause but there will be a price to pay when they finally take power. The poor have now been empowered and the genie is out of the bottle and he is not going back. Forget Thaksin, he is just the bus driver for this crusade and on his return he understands he will have to retain that support to keep power.

Living amongst these people I have realised Thaksin is just a figurehead who either personally, or with help from interested parties, has managed to raise enough funds to keep this protest thriving. These people want social reform and a bigger piece of the pie.

There can only be one outcome if you think logically. That outcome may come tomorrow or 1 year from now or 10 years from now, but be sure it will come. This is not just about fair elections it about winning back power that was unlawfully stole from them in a coup. Not only do they want elections, the leaders of this movement want removal of all the money families that run Thailand. You remove them and there is nobody to instigate another coup. The 'Amataya (elite) will do whatever it takes to keep a grip on this country, even throw grenades into their own supporters to cause one side to fight the other. They are looking for a reason, to justify to the watching world, a ruthless crackdown.

What is scaring the current elite is the finances flowing into this movment and where it might be coming from. That takky chappie has been on a jolly around the world for 3 years.... I dont think so. I believe he has been flying around garnering support to enable his return. Making promises to smaller nations of trade links and access to do business in Thailand in return for donations to his movement. Haven't the arabs been trying to get access to grow rice here but have been told you can only own 49%. Paints a nice picture for Thaksin,returns to power and then changes current legislation to allow the arabs 100% access to grow rice here. Oh where is all the rice grown.... yes red shirt country and they will get xxx more money per tonne. Game over..Tilt. Dont you just love this guy

The above is just a scenario of what might be happening but please take your blinkers off and forget your own insignificant life and see things from both sides. Thaksin is a poor man by Thailands elite standards and cannot afford to finance this movement alone. Somebody is helping him.

Yes my support leans towards the reds but I want a peaceful conclusion to all this and no more deaths. I have got 3 children born here in Isaan and if somebody does not remove these faceless people from power my kids may grow up with no prospects, no money and no future. I apologise to all living in Bkk and my feelings to all grieving relatives on both sides.

This fight for reform was won two years ago when that funeral pyrah( maybe mispelt) was lit.

I just have a couple of points here. 1st. 20m of 60m is not a majority, 2nd the fact that so many people migrate to a more developed area from an less developed areas is not unique. mexico city, new york city, london, paris. etc.... job and opportunities are always more abundant where the majority of people live. 3rd. it is my bet that if the current batch of migrants left bkk they would be replaced very quickly by a other set immediatly. my final point and my biggest issue with yours and many others post who seem to think that the government is the cause of these poor peoples lack of ambition, personal accountablility, and motivation. let me ask you this as a long time resident of the n or ne why, do so many of the young girls up there have sex with family members (this is not a flame it is a fact) what causes these males to use their women in such ways? why is std rampant in these parts even though the govt has made great efforts to educate them? the point i am making is no govt can cure this mentality and obviously not all people from the ne are like this in fact many do raise themselves up from humble beginnings and prosper without selling their bodies. the thais in the north have schools just like the thais in the south, if they want change they should start by looking within themsleves 1st. but that is just mo and we all know what o's are worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was that a joke?

KKK boys in America talk that way about African Americans and the KKK are scum.

I admit that I havenot read all the posts on this topic yet, but the battery on my notebook is near empty, so I skipped to the end. I just wanted to report something that I have found extremely disturbing - and this is absolutely not a troll. At the moment I am in the US with some Thais from Burirum. They call home every morning here to get the latest goings-on. Today I heard that one of their relatives has a problem. He signed on as a red shirt because it was between crops. He really doesn't cae much one way or the other about the cause. He just felt it was good pay for what probably would be a fun trip for a few days to a week in Bangkok.

Well, things have stretched on, and he wants to go back home. He swears that he was told that since he accepted the money he could not quit. He was told that he would be klled if he abandoned the protest now.

I don't know if any of what I was told is true, but I know the people that told me this believe it completely. If it is true, that is a very serious new twist in this whole agonizing story.

"1st. 20m of 60m is not a majority" You wrote.

You are incorrect.

http://www.citypopulation.de/Thailand.html

2010, there were 22,334,000 in NE

There were 11,562,000 in the North.

That is nearly 34 million people.

FACT

Drove by at the Loei lake (Isaan) last night.

Hundreds of Reds (but not dressed in red anymore) were gattering around the lake at "the bridge over the river side"; east, Loei Palace hotel.

They all were admiring 4 monks on the stage. The monks (or reds dressed as monks?) were shouting and yelling Januporn/Hitler style.

It was very intimidating and clearly war-style.

Very freightning.

This happens 50m away from a police-box only.

A disappointing but unsurprising response from the biggest stubborn mule PM the world has ever seen.

Nope, that would be the other guy, Thaksin.

I find it amazing that people blame the current government for the actions of Thaksin's rent-a-mob ... and don't just plae the blame where it belongs! Right at the feet of a convicted felon that is fomenting civil unrest in Thailand while he and his family hide overseas.

Part of a famous quote, and this is what is happening to the mules they've bussed in to Bangkok from the N.East.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

"1st. 20m of 60m is not a majority" You wrote.

You are incorrect.

http://www.citypopulation.de/Thailand.html

2010, there were 22,334,000 in NE

There were 11,562,000 in the North.

That is nearly 34 million people.

FACT

that is assuming that 100% of the people in these areas support the red shirt movement, which of course is not the way it is. btw as for your kkk comment????? i am simply saying that change starts within and if people see themselves as victims and wait to be rescued they will have a very long wait.

This government is made up of people with very deep pockets, those pockets must be filled. The world is watching. The US has warned the Thai government not to use violence and as a result military cooperation will suffer. However, unless Anupong is passed over, it could well be the end of Abhisit himself. There might be a flat out refusal to kill people and than Abhisit has to face the music. In the end we may hope that if a great number of people get hurt, foreigners get killed too. It will punish the government in several ways: 1. Abhisit and others with dual nationality run the risk to end up in the international court of justice, even though Thailand has not signed up for it. 2. Investment will suffer. 3. tourism will come to a virtual stop. Two and Three will hurt the elite which is by definition a good thing.

Moreover the Thai army cannot even win from a handful of youth in the South they will get hurt in an incredible way when 70% of the people turn against them. The power of the yellow shirts who call themselves multicolored nowadays is diminished too. They claimed to bring hundred thousand people out on the street, they must have been embarrassed with a few thousand. It was anyhow a pathetic sight to see old cows that were slightly wounded by their only military (Safe to say that the military are behind the attacks, 47 grenade attacks, no arrests... give me a break) waving with toy flags. It viewed like scenes from a bad Fellini movie.

It is pretty smart to strip yourself of anything that may look like you are a redshirt supporter, if an army shoots you are allowed to defend yourself. For those people who believe that an army has the right to shoot, I like to invite them to go out and see a war zone. Those people might never have seen bodies lying in the streets. But if an army attacks its own people the people have the right to retaliate with everything they have.

Abhisit has to go in before th 29th, the day that his sorry party will be disbanded for stealing from the people and stealing from the banks and creditors (TPI).

Dual nationality is illegal in Thailand once over 18 yrs old....

So they are dropping the red shirts. We all know why, yes? So when the reds without red attack the Thai soldiers and the general public with lethal weapons, and they are filmed doing so, they can more conveniently deny responsibility.

Precisely. This is a very disturbing development.

Guerrilla warfare? Threatening to loot CentralWorld?

"When the first blood is spilled here, the entire country will be the scene of bloodshed"

"We are ready to handle the government measures. No matter what shirt we wear, our hearts are red"

These are terrorist threats being made by the red shirt leaders. Some people might object to the word terrorist, but I don't know what else to call it. Insurrection perhaps? Any other suggestions?

it is call revolution or civil war !!!! not terrorism .

So they are dropping the red shirts. We all know why, yes? So when the reds without red attack the Thai soldiers and the general public with lethal weapons, and they are filmed doing so, they can more conveniently deny responsibility.

Precisely. This is a very disturbing development.

Guerrilla warfare? Threatening to loot CentralWorld?

"When the first blood is spilled here, the entire country will be the scene of bloodshed"

"We are ready to handle the government measures. No matter what shirt we wear, our hearts are red"

These are terrorist threats being made by the red shirt leaders. Some people might object to the word terrorist, but I don't know what else to call it. Insurrection perhaps? Any other suggestions?

it is call revolution or civil war !!!! not terrorism .

Call it what you like ..the end results are the same

Reds have called for war vs their fellow Thais

for the own selfish means.

Blend in and not stand out...........a good strategy adapted all over the world by nature....known as camouflage Jing, to confuse the oppostion......not necessarily to attack them......... :D

Evidently you didn't read the article completely. Jatuporn is making his intention to attack the opposition quite clear.

From Jatuporn:

Could be avoided with ease by refraining from start to spilling blood at all. A violent crackdown is not the solution.

The most peaceful solution for Abhisit would be to agree with the red demands, dissolve the house, the red 'thugs' will go home. In the coming election just defeat the very small red minority with a landslide victory by Abhisit and friends. Should be a very easy task for the man with the smirk in the face or not? :)

the key to resolving this is Veera

he is currently the weakest/least resolute of the red leaders

in the face to face negotiations with Abhisit, he was the most reasonable and receptive to making a deal

he is rumoured to have been talking to Abhisits secretary about a six month dissolution

he is rumoured to be talking to the US about exile when this is over

he is moving to the right of Jataporn and Weng

there have been rumours that he is ready to walk away after the grenades at Silom

its clear he is sick and tired of all this violence and the rally has diverted a long way from where he thought it would go.

its clear he has a social conscience and is looking at what might happen in Thailand if common ground is not found to resolve this

the police/army should make Veera's capture a priority or reach out to him to make a deal

Veera would co-operate easily and make an amnesty deal with the government to sell out the reds and Thaksin

he would need a new ID, new passport, safe passage to US for him and his family

also he would need to be allowed to keep Thaksins money in his bank account

maybe even a sweetener of 20 million, whatever is neccesary.

they need a secondary confirmation of Methee's confession to make it credible and believable to the reds

if Veera was captured and turned, this would be over in hours not days

Edited by blackman

For decades the poor have been held down in the mud of paddy fields in grinding poverty by the rich elite and the top tier of Thai society. Eventually the poor will decide that they do not wish that situation to continue, and the events that then unfold will inevitably be unpleasant. The elite will cling to power until it is torn from their hands.

This is an inevitable bump on Thailand's rocky road to true parliamentary democracy. If the red shirts were having their revolution in Burma, the world would be applauding their bravery. The feverish and hysterical anti-red posts on this forum are mostly from those who have never experienced true poverty or the yearning to improve their lives that grows quietly in the paddy fields.

The astonishing rudeness of many of the posts shows an obvious ignorance of Buddhism and its values, along with a boorish and old-fashioned colonial arrogance.

Blend in and not stand out...........a good strategy adapted all over the world by nature....known as camouflage Jing, to confuse the oppostion......not necessarily to attack them......... :)

Do you mean like al-quida or those people who blow themself's up in crowded area's. Sorry if you really believe in what your fighting for, stand up and be counted, not hide among the innocent, so they might get hurt.:D

Of course if democracy were usurped in YOUR country, you would not only be inclined but in fact DUTY-bound to defend your nation against "all enemies, foreign and domestic." That's the wording in the United States, other countries are much the same in spirit. I find it painful to think what I would have to do if my country's democracy were taken from me, so it's not surprising you don't give it any thought.

But that's okay, consistent logic is the enemy of elite revanchists anywhere, I don't expect any different from (what remains of) the yellow-shirt crowd.

I've heard from a Thai website that Thaksin is now on a life support, Veera is preparing to flee to US, does anyone know anything about this rumour?

Surely you should know the dirty tricks the anti-Thaksin rumor mongers are capable of by now. We have had the cancer rumor, the president rumor, a heap of others, now the life support rumor. LOL.

The Joseph Solution is 93% guaranteed to bring about Stability, Peace and greatly reduce Corruption in the Thai political system.

The Joseph Plan, the implementation of the The Joseph Solution has about a 7% chance of success, mainly because suggestions and discussion are not allowed.

If I could spend an hour with Khun Chuan and/or Khun Abhisit the chances of success would balloon to 72%.

------------

One thing I wish both sides would try to think about is WHO is probably the most hurt person WHO has to watch disaster unfolding. I believe 98% of Thais would agree that Someone deserves a better climate in the twilight years.

It's not all the reds' fault or is it all the yellows', it's the corrupt millionaires and billionaires on both sides who are the products of a highly dysfunctional system.

In a Kingdom with the highest % of Buddhists, 96%, [a peaceful, non materialistic, enlightened 'organization'] it MUST be the 6% who are causing all the trouble, right?

Vishnu may curse for generations the pigs, of all colors, who are destroying Thailand to get to the trough.

If they saw they were destroying the trough, too, they might call a good olf fashioned gang land truce, eh?

Of course if democracy were usurped in YOUR country, you would not only be inclined but in fact DUTY-bound to defend your nation against "all enemies, foreign and domestic." That's the wording in the United States, other countries are much the same in spirit. I find it painful to think what I would have to do if my country's democracy were taken from me, so it's not surprising you don't give it any thought.

But that's okay, consistent logic is the enemy of elite revanchists anywhere, I don't expect any different from (what remains of) the yellow-shirt crowd.

Democracy is usurped in Thailand?

What is wrong with you? :)

Don't be surprised if this protest drags on for another week. The military have been reluctant to use force so far, so it is hard to imagine that in the next 48 hours they will launch an offensive. The rhetoric being used by the red leaders may just be to whip up support among those at the protest site and attempt to get more people to join them. It may also be an attempt to prevent people from leaving as they tighten security at their barricades. Are those barricade for keeping police out, or protesters in? If they drop the red shirts it may be a ploy to make their numbers look bigger, now anyone in the downtown can be labeled as a protester when they do a head count because there is no way to tell the difference anymore. Either there is a traitor in the government spilling all the details of the operation, in which case I'm sure the military is trying to root them out, maybe by issuing false information to see where it ends up, or maybe the red leaders are just making things up to create panic and fear. People who are afraid are easier to control after all.

Art 9:45 pm Friday night I was walking back home to On-Nut from Emporium, on the south side of Sukhumvit. Just before I got to the point opposite Major Ekkamai, I saw a very strange event. At a point where there is a very wide entranceway (almost like a large parking lot) into some sort of government property (with a large arch overhead, with Thai lettering), I saw what I believe was a military rehearsal drill. There were about fifty motorcycles - each carrying two military policeman. I say that because they wore blue military uniforms, with green camouflage flak vests, and blue or black shiny lacquer helmets, with a thick horizontal white band painted around the base - and black lettering - some sort of Thai abbreviation. I'm guessing that they were air force police. Anyway, they were practicing - two men to each motorcycle, with the man riding pillion carrying two weapons - one M-16, and one shotgun (obviously, the guys in back were carrying the weapon of the driver). I think I got there at the end - they were just pulling out onto Sukhumvit, headed toward Thonglor, in a formation of motorcycles, two abreast, in the curb lane. I think there were two commanders - who were dressed slightly differently, each on his own motorcycle - which were larger than the the two-man bikes - and these two had just sidearm pistols. They stayed behind a minute when the rest moved out - and one of them smiled to me as I walked past, right next to him.

I've been an Infantry company commander - and I could sense that they were not going into a fight that night - but I think the were doing a full-dress rehearsal.

So - when the action unfolds (tonight?) to deal with the protesters, I predict it will lead off with platoons of military police on motorcycles moving in very fast, around the Red Shirt barricades (on the sidewalk?), to penetrate deep, very quickly. To me, that means a "snatch" mission - they will go straight to capture the leadership, without having to hurt any innocent people.

I also predict that 60 seconds before the motorcycle cavalry reaches the Red front lines, some advance scouts will "take out" the Red guards near the barricades. Thus allowing a "surgical" strike against the Red command group.

Good plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_squad

I've heard from a Thai website that Thaksin is now on a life support, Veera is preparing to flee to US, does anyone know anything about this rumour?

Surely you should know the dirty tricks the anti-Thaksin rumor mongers are capable of by now. We have had the cancer rumor, the president rumor, a heap of others, now the life support rumor. LOL.

If I tell you that the red movement would grow stronger with Thaksin gone, it does not mean I am a red supporter. The yellows do not have a brain about what is going on.

If he died of a fatal disease, they would be rid of an huge anchor. The real leadership is just using him as smokescreen. There ARE reds who hate Thaksin, but there is no strategic value in showing that card.

The BEST fuel for the red movement would be an assasination. [one can imagine the conspircay theories on that one, the reds did it themselves to create a martyr yada yaDUH]

Those who pin their hope for peace on the end Thaksin are so, so myopic. He is NOT the biggest crocodile in the swamp!

The Red shirt were wearing red shirts with Thaksin's picture on them. Then, when they realized T was more of a liability (in terms of others' perspective), they stopped saying Thaksin was their hero and the answer to all their problems, but they kept wearing his mug on their shirts.

Yesterday, one of their sage leaders told them not to wear red shirts. Makes sense really, if you're in with a mob who wants to cause mayhem, then the less identifying marks, the better. However, there's a drawback: If you're rioting and looking to do harm, how do you know which groups of civilians are your allies and which are your adversaries - once people get all mixed up together?

Within a short time after the Red leader told his flock to not wear red shirts, he did a 180 and told them to wear red shirts. Maybe a few of his brain cells started working in tandem for a change. Perhaps he MSG and alcohol and caffeine was wearing off? I don't know. Yet it's a scary thought to think Thailand might be steered by some of those Red shirt leaders who shout miscombobulated and alarmist things from the stage. Am glad I live as far from Bkk as a person can, and still be in Thailand.