Getting Suits Made In Chiang Mai

ianf

There was a feature about 3 weeks ago in the Bangkok Post which said that many of the tailors offering '40 suits for sixpence' were a rip-off and it quoted many case histories. It also mentioned some that were the best. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy of the article as I do not want a suit!

HOWEVER!!! Yesterday I received a call from my son-in-law who is looking for a good tailor, a genuine tailor, etc in Chiang Mai (or at worst Bangkok though they wish to avoid the place due to some unhappy events going on there) and has asked me to help.

Well I already have umpteen suits most of which I am sure I will never wear! So I can't help. But can you?

I would be grateful for any help as my son-in-law is a nice lad and deserves a decent suit!

I just had 4 office shirts made from:

NEXT FASHION

3 changklan road

mob: 0801204826

He has two shops one on the night bazaar road

very nice Nepalese man... called Bob, grandfather migrated here via Biritsh army in Burma.

Very nice guy, fluent, polite and great quality!

and I did promise to plug his shop if he did a good job! Cost me about the same as the hi-so shirts you find ON SALE at Central stores... but fit perfectly!

Edited by whiterussian

The thing is that NONE of those shops are tailors themselves .

They all let Thai tailors make it all for them , so they have the same tailors .....

Then the second thing is that almost every tailor only can make the same OLD fashioned designs ,

those stiffy one which make you have the feeling having a sea-elephant under your shoulders ......

And they can't make new designs , they always will tell you no problem , but eventualy they all look the same .

I know it my wife is a really good designer , she also rents out clothes for parties and marriage ,

some of the tailors are okay , but we want something genuine for the customer , none of them can do it .

Change is hard to impossible for them . My wife designs everything she has got in her shop , she is to busy to

make suits herself , but we will do those as well in the future , she only wants quality , and sorry to say

but the tailors are just not good enough , especialy when you know what you talk about .

Anyway the Indians overcharge you for the same product , a lot , so a possibility is to look for material yourself at the market ,

find a Thai tailor and the quality is the same , or for convenience you could let them take care of everything .

Anyways some do give a good job .

They all let Thai tailors make it all for them , so they have the same tailors .....

Then the second thing is that almost every tailor only can make the same OLD fashioned designs ,

those stiffy one which make you have the feeling having a sea-elephant under your shoulders ......

And they can't make new designs , they always will tell you no problem , but eventualy they all look the same .

I know it my wife is a really good designer , she also rents out clothes for parties and marriage ,

some of the tailors are okay , but we want something genuine for the customer , none of them can do it .

Change is hard to impossible for them . My wife designs everything she has got in her shop , she is to busy to

make suits herself , but we will do those as well in the future , she only wants quality , and sorry to say

but the tailors are just not good enough , especialy when you know what you talk about .

Anyway the Indians overcharge you for the same product , a lot , so a possibility is to look for material yourself at the market ,

find a Thai tailor and the quality is the same , or for convenience you could let them take care of everything .

+1.

Almost all "tailor" shops are just fronts for factory workers - at least in BKK.

Trying to find a tailor who actually does the work, offers high quality materials, and good designs and quality stitching is dam_n hard. I have no idea why Bangkok has such a positive reputation for tailor clothes. My experiences have been either negative or average.

+1.

Almost all "tailor" shops are just fronts for factory workers - at least in BKK.

Trying to find a tailor who actually does the work, offers high quality materials, and good designs and quality stitching is dam_n hard. I have no idea why Bangkok has such a positive reputation for tailor clothes. My experiences have been either negative or average.

because after a vietnamwar. many Europe suit production send bkk "tailor" a material and pattern and hire them to make it and send back to europe , so they do know how to cut and stitch. but hardly find creative one(mass product tailor)

I would never recommend anyone getting a suit made by tailors here- design and quality of these tailor made shirts is pretty poor in my experience and they begin falling apart very soon.

Instead of buying 2 tailor made suits- combine the cash and add abit more and invest in a off the rack brand name suit @700 US$ upwards (Boss, Armani, etc), great quality and lasts for years.

Just had one made by Neramit as per forum suggestions. I went in and explained my hesitations, all the places on me that are hard to fit, told him the horror story of buying the outsourced-labor crappy suits once in Phuket when I was a tourist here 10 yrs ago and didn't know any better. I'd say some of the main issues for me were that 1) I wanted a hipper looking suit, 2) I have a bigger waistline and 3) like to wear my pants low, not all hiked up like my dad would as it's just the style and what looks good. 4) I wanted to look GQ, not like a 60 yr old Estonian sprat salesman. Generally if you have a bigger waist - and please, mine is just 38, not crazy big, they usually give you this giant bucket of a$$ n thigh room that usually extends almost to the knees. Looks horrid. I brought in my best fitting pair of pants and explained why they worked for me as far as not being too long in the crotch (I'm gonna regret typing that), they actually gave me an a$$ and made my legs look slim. He measured me in more directions than I'd ever been measured before by a tailor and then he took my instructions for buttons, pockets, vents, lapel type, cuffs collar, etc. I got a great suit for 8K baht. Compared to US it's a great deal to have it done to my specifications with a high-wool grade fabric. I looked sharp at the wedding I went to. Satisfied that I went to them.

Btw, they have all of their own tailors there, in shop, and the kindly gentleman who did mine has been working at Neramit for nearly 40 years.

Just go in n talk to the guy; he's patient and you'll see that he understands fashion and customer needs, and is willing to listen.

Just had one made by Neramit as per forum suggestions. I went in and explained my hesitations, all the places on me that are hard to fit, told him the horror story of buying the outsourced-labor crappy suits once in Phuket when I was a tourist here 10 yrs ago and didn't know any better. I'd say some of the main issues for me were that 1) I wanted a hipper looking suit, 2) I have a bigger waistline and 3) like to wear my pants low, not all hiked up like my dad would as it's just the style and what looks good. 4) I wanted to look GQ, not like a 60 yr old Estonian sprat salesman. Generally if you have a bigger waist - and please, mine is just 38, not crazy big, they usually give you this giant bucket of a$$ n thigh room that usually extends almost to the knees. Looks horrid. I brought in my best fitting pair of pants and explained why they worked for me as far as not being too long in the crotch (I'm gonna regret typing that), they actually gave me an a$$ and made my legs look slim. He measured me in more directions than I'd ever been measured before by a tailor and then he took my instructions for buttons, pockets, vents, lapel type, cuffs collar, etc. I got a great suit for 8K baht. Compared to US it's a great deal to have it done to my specifications with a high-wool grade fabric. I looked sharp at the wedding I went to. Satisfied that I went to them.

Btw, they have all of their own tailors there, in shop, and the kindly gentleman who did mine has been working at Neramit for nearly 40 years.

Just go in n talk to the guy; he's patient and you'll see that he understands fashion and customer needs, and is willing to listen.

For that price it should be the highest quality available , I'm sure these guys are one of the better ones in town , so got

to pay for that obviously , although thats not guaranteed at many places .

For just tailoring , normal price with fair enough quality should be no more that 2000 ( not at tailor places who have to make some profit , except of the road are much cheaper ) , ad materials and you have got your price , and it will be not worse then the shops mentioned , so 8k is fairly expensive . But considering if they really do not make a suit of a block ( pattern ) , but actually on the spot make a new design for your suit , so any design is possible ...Im not so sure , its time consuming and they are not willing . My guess is their tailors have enough experience to make it a bit different and stich great , so it always looks nice .

Anyway so long a man is happy with his suit , is all that counts .

Fashion King in the Night Bazaar (next to the big Food Court). He's been sponsoring and making stuff for dozens of people from the cricket every year, and I've never heard a complaint. But shop around for the best prices, I'm not sure he's the cheapest but he is quality.

I have never heard so much hot cock in my life!! You must be a complete tosser if you believe that. Perhaps you are just posting to show your superior knowlege of Chiangmai tailors. I have been using Neramit for well over 20 years, and without a doubt he has to be the best, and only bespoke tailor in town. He will produce your garments as you want them. What's this rubbish that almost every tailor makes garments to old fashioned designs?

You need to look around sonny, and review your thoughts on tailors :)