Thai PM Abhisit Vows To Retake Bangkok Protest Site

webfact

Why doesn't Thailand use crowd dispersal measures such as water cannons and rubber bullets? They seem to work in other places.

Guess you didn't see much of what was going on earlier... the protesters kidnapping and disarming police and army, even commandos that went to arrest one of the redshirt leaders ended up disarmed and locked up in a room for the media to take photos of.

Not to mention the water canons that were sent to Rajaprasong, and got hijacked even before getting there. Army had to negotiate to get them back.

There were many slip-ups like that in the past month or so.

We're yet to see how successful this attempt would get. I already said that given where the reds are encamped, and how determined they are to burn the area to the ground, this will turn very ugly very quickly, with army possibly fighting a losing battle.

I do understand the need for the government to remove the redshirts from the area.

I am just not sure if the show of muscles will achieve what it needs to, in order to bring peace.

On the other hand - the "peaceful" militants have been pushing for this much too long and the government, army, police and honestly the whole country looks like a joke because of this, and while the international community always comes up with wishes that things are resolved peacefully, it is nearly never the case.

I mean, if you were US, and you can't stay quiet, what should you say? "Blast'em!"? Obviously not. That doesn't mean that behind the official facade there isn't understanding that sometimes the most unpopular method needs to be used when all the others are tried and failed.

Whatever happens next, stay safe, everyone.

Could the armed encampment be "just blasted". Absolutly, but normal morality will not allow it.

Too many complanin on here nobody offers any alternitives...so let me give it a shot.

1. The protesters need to be shut down, as they have morfed into a para-military group with road blocks, dictating the movement of police and troops, conducting searches of anybody they desire for any reason, targeted assisinations....all these are way outside the bounds of a "protest".

2. A reasonable amoutn of force will be necessary to dismantly the encampment, yet a need to safegaurd the government that has the task to do so..

3. A possible solution:

a. Put the snipers in high buildings surounding the area to protect against M79 and other attacks like happened last time.

b. Bring up armored vehicles with dozer attachements on the front to clear the roads.

c. Bring up flame throwers to and start out of range moving up. People will never stand in fight with the possibility of becoming a crispy critter.

d. Circle the helicopters for intimidation

e. Cut all electricity in the area.

f. Have heavy reinforecemnt of police to arrest all those fleeing, and then sort them out, so those with arrest warrents can be detainied.

g. If they are available, the USA used some sonic weapons for crowd control in Iraq...pretty succefully. Nice bloodless tool. Block the side streets with these, and herd them to the collection points like at the sports areana area.

I believe this opeation could be carried out quickly...the main dangers is that of compromise by the traitors within the government that wish to see the group succeed.

Even with the most carefully laid plans can there be death and injuries...yes...but it is the price you pay for the side you support.

Let the flames begin...but this is a surgical, non-violent way to bring it all to an end.

Your idea are valid

But I made most of them 6 weeks ago

No one is to tire them out and install confusion

Army trucks with large flood lights are filled with soldiers and sent of to the red shirt area 4 hr after dark

helicopters are also sent with armoured personal carriers

when with in 3 mins of the are make a detour and end up some where else

at the same time helicopters circle the area with night lights

2 hrs later repeat same

2 hrs later send in the Police with barking dogs

2 hrs later another stunt or the same

The idea is to stay on the offensive and keep the protestors on alert with little sleep

There are so many ways to skin a cat with out bullets

But there is just as many people in power who want the protestors to upset the people as their are people who want it to stop

There is no money in it for the Police

Army does not want to do anything

their is no law in Thailand

Parliment may as well not exist

To stay like this is Chaos

Desolve the parliment and you will see greater Chaos

Now only the people can change things, but Thais do not like confrontation

Seems Thai's have created their own armagedon, they will never admit it as this would loose great face

The future is black for Thailand

a friend said to me maybe China will send in its troops to save the Thai people

Have things really go this bad

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a "a surgical, non-violent way"???? Are you sure?

Why Farangs from the USA wanna start a war in Thailand?

This is the American way of all things

It is not a war....just discipline.

When your children become rebellious how long do you allow it to continue? For me, I will discuss what is right, I will tell the consequences of continued rebellion, give a short time to sink in, then I act. This is not war. You have certain norms of behavior, even in a protest. When you cross that line and think you are equal or better than the authority in this country, then do not be surprised when a heavy hand is laid on you.

I listened to a televised speech yesterday:

"Do your job with honesty. In this country there may be some people who forget their duty.

You should be an example by working honestly and properly, your job is very important,"

"Working honestly will boost the country's progress and serve as an example for citizens, for civil servants and other people.

It will help the country to live in peace and contentment,"

"You should help maintain justice. If you can strictly follow your oaths, it will help the country remain orderly,"

"Being honest is not easy, there will be many temptations."

I believe the authority in Thailand has spoken, softly as usual, but precisely as is his way. Continue to ignore at your own peril.

Premise: Thailand is #1 in % of katoy among young male population. Some would say well in to the double digits.

There are basically two types of katoy:

Type A - who get offended easily and immediately vent anger and recrimination.

Type B - who wilt away from confrontation.

The majority of members on both sides of the Red barricades are young men.

Type A katoy generally side with the Red shirts, which would explain why they get hot headed and are so quick to aggression.

Type B katoy are among the ranks of security forces. That would explain why they allow themselves, their weapons and vehicles to be commandeered so easily.

Nonsense.

Just another proof that Farang USA has no clue about Thailand and additional a personal issue with katoys.

It is not a war....just discipline.

When your children become rebellious how long do you allow it to continue? For me, I will discuss what is right, I will tell the consequences of continued rebellion, give a short time to sink in, then I act. This is not war. You have certain norms of behavior, even in a protest. When you cross that line and think you are equal or better than the authority in this country, then do not be surprised when a heavy hand is laid on you.

I listened to a televised speech yesterday:

"Do your job with honesty. In this country there may be some people who forget their duty.

You should be an example by working honestly and properly, your job is very important,"

"Working honestly will boost the country's progress and serve as an example for citizens, for civil servants and other people.

It will help the country to live in peace and contentment,"

"You should help maintain justice. If you can strictly follow your oaths, it will help the country remain orderly,"

"Being honest is not easy, there will be many temptations."

I believe the authority in Thailand has spoken, softly as usual, but precisely as is his way. Continue to ignore at your own peril.

Very Very Wise Words

Now if only would listen to them

Actually it is the HUMAN way. Mankind has been fighting with each other since it began. :)

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

We are talking about an ARMY possibly slaughtering civilians who are armed with just sticks and rocks for self-defence.

I'll bet none of you know the history of the Thammasat students who were slaughtered in 1976.

Have you seen the pictures or the video?

What is wrong with you people?

Are your business interests at stake or what?

You should be held as guilty as those who may possibly murder many innocent men, women, and children.

Why don't you go back to your home countries and kill your own people.

Well spoken and Amen to that

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

We are talking about an ARMY possibly slaughtering civilians who are armed with just sticks and rocks for self-defence.

I'll bet none of you know the history of the Thammasat students who were slaughtered in 1976.

Have you seen the pictures or the video?

What is wrong with you people?

Are your business interests at stake or what?

You should be held as guilty as those who may possibly murder many innocent men, women, and children.

Why don't you go back to your home countries and kill your own people.

Well spoken and Amen to that

So going on your theory

If I stand in the middle of a busy highway

and a car comes along and its going to hit and kill me

I am allowed to use what every method I have at hand to kill the driver first

and I can call it self defence

""an ARMY possibly slaughtering civilians who are armed with just sticks and rocks for self-defence.""

So its not if you kill someone or not

it is all about the weapon you use

Thais have used an unwritten law when an accident happens in Thailand

IT MUST BE THE FARANGS FAULT AS IF HE WAS NOT HERE THE ACCIDENT WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED

So with the same rule applied

If the red shirts go home and stop there ILLEGAL Protest

No one can get hurt

""Murder innocent people""

They break every law in the book and you call them innocent

Useing your words

What is wrong with you?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

Bomb explodes in front of Bangkok Bank Talingchan

A grenade was hurled at the Bangkok Bank Talingchan branch early Wednesday. Nobody was injured in the explosion.

The bomb landed at the sign of Soi Borom Rajchonnanee 26, damaging the sign but did not cause any damage to the bank.

The attack happened at 3 am.

Thaworn Lokthaisong, 35, said the assailant might hurl the grenade from the elevated way nearby.

The explosion occurred just five minutes after patrol policemen visited the bank on the routine checking, he said.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

A grenade was hurled at the Bangkok Bank Talingchan branch early Wednesday. Nobody was injured in the explosion.

The bomb landed at the sign of Soi Borom Rajchonnanee 26, damaging the sign but did not cause any damage to the bank.

Thaworn Lokthaisong, 35, said the assailant might hurl the grenade from the elevated way nearby.

The explosion occurred just five minutes after patrol policemen visited the bank on the routine checking, he said.

Ah, the innocent, altruistic protesting continues.

All actions for the benefit of all Thai citizens.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

But the reds are peaceful? Remember it was the yellows who were getting grenades thrown at them, during their protests. Now that it is the reds turn, everyone else except the reds are getting the grenades. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the grenade throwers loyalties lie. Its simple process of elimination. Any red supporter who doesn't condemn the violence is a collaborator, and should be held in contempt.

Thaksins comments regarding the Tak Bai massare.

"I regret the loss of lives in a way that should not have happened, due to suffocation. I will order a committee to be set up to investigate the situation,"

Thaksin Shinawatra

"There are some who died because they were fasting, and they were crammed in tight,"

It's a matter of their bodies becoming weak."

Thaksin Shinawatra.

Finally I see there are some "sensible" foreigners who state their opinion.

Can you will you defend these comments Thaksin made ?

I think you will find that Abihisit is a far more balanced and compassionate man unlike the Red Shirt Brigade leaders and their puppet master.

Jingoist claptrap!

The Americans led the coalition of the First Gulf War which liberated Kuwait from Saddam's Iraqis. Americans led the way to free Kosovo from the murdering Serbians. Yes, sometimes strong force is needed to get the bads guys out. In both those scenarios, talk talk talk didn't get the job done.

The current mess in Bkk is obviously different than Kuwait or Kosovo, but there are similarities. And Thai security forces need to find resolve, discipline and a wise strategy to try and fix Bangkok's problems, which are also affecting all of Thailand.

Wimping out and fear of any injury is not going to fix it. The Reds have taken advantage of PM's and Army's weaknesses. Though the Reds are not winning the war (the overall praise of the Thai people), the Reds are winning the battles (strategic maneuverings).

has anyone read the bangkok post columns or seen the news on the "mysterious" men in black? Who do you suppose they really are? They've been seen in and among the red shirt "barricades" so it would appear if they were foes there would've been a clash.

One has to wonder how all this can go on when it gets to sucha level as guys in black with machine gus can roam around like mercenaries and assassins.

Time to bring this to an end. The "formerly red shirts now known as colorless shirts" don't want a peaceful end, so I guess sooner or later here, they'll get what they're askin' for, maybe more than they bargained for.

My favourite author, Hunter S. Thompson, had an uncanny knack for getting to the core, or heart, of the human experience. The big picture wasn't his domain. He was able to regularly sidestep the rhetoric, and the righteousness of the cause, and go straight to the stuff that really mattered; our strengths, weaknesses and frailties. It's the stuff that really makes us tick, that shows us up for what we really are. The world hasn't had many real heroes; people who are genuinely selfless and who's actions speak louder than any self aggrandizing rhetoric. The most recent one I can think of was Sir Edmund Hillary. A completely selfless and humble individual who, after accomplishing some genuinely herculean feats in his younger years, spent the remainder of his life doing all that he was able to for the good of the people in a remote part of this planet. As good old Hunter so correctly points out, most of us are just self absorbed and in it for what we can get. Now there's actually nothing wrong with that as long as you're not trying to tell everyone else something to the contrary; that you're here for the good of the cause, or your fighting the good fight, when, in fact, the others can clearly see that you're rhetoric isn't matched by your actions. Credibility, of course, is what we're talking about and the reds leaders, as far as I'm concerned, have a definite credibility issue. I don't have any issues with their political aspirations or the fact that they've stated, on more than one occasion, that they're willing to fight to the death for their cause; all good stuff for the five o'clock news. If they want to die, fighting the good fight, all well and good but why, tell me, do they need to hide behind a wall of women and children? Where's the courage of their convictions? Perhaps they're not as committed to their cause as they'd have us believe.

Thanks for the good insight. I too like to wonder about what makes things tick, particularly in this country where value systems bear almost no relationship to the western ways by which we try to understand Thais. I can just see Hunter S. Thompson sitting in a room along Sukhumvit typing away as the room fills with crumpled paper, each piece of which reads page 1.

Just this morning, the well known and respected Dr Veerasak has written a personal letter to the radical "red leader" Dr. Weng, who was Dr. Veerasak's teacher. A really good chance to see inside Thailand. Reference is below.\

Open letter to red-shirt leader Dr Weng Tojirakarn

By Dr Veerasak Chongsuwiwatwong

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Open-Letter-...We-t360132.html

My favourite author, Hunter S. Thompson, had an uncanny knack for getting to the core, or heart, of the human experience. The big picture wasn't his domain.

He was a lot better at writing amusing tales about taking drugs for recreational purposes. Deeps insights into life were not really his thing. 01ltsparty.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

But the reds are peaceful? Remember it was the yellows who were getting grenades thrown at them, during their protests. Now that it is the reds turn, everyone else except the reds are getting the grenades. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the grenade throwers loyalties lie. Its simple process of elimination. Any red supporter who doesn't condemn the violence is a collaborator, and should be held in contempt.

I should remember not to use such deep irony so early in the morning... :)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

I should remember not to use such deep irony so early in the morning... :)

There are no red shirts dead or in the hospital?

And you know who is responsible for all this?

Yes we know who is responsible for the violence. The red shirts refusing lawful orders to disperse and carrying weapons such as molotav cocktails (petrol bombs) and Sae Daeng's black shirted "Ronin" are responsible for the people that have been hurt and killed, along with the redshirt leaders that have openly called for violence in the streets!

Yes we know who is responsible for the violence. The red shirts refusing lawful orders to disperse and carrying weapons such as molotav cocktails (petrol bombs) and Sae Daeng's black shirted "Ronin" are responsible for the people that have been hurt and killed, along with the redshirt leaders that have openly called for violence in the streets!

We will likely never know.

The Red shirts and PTP have called for a UN Independent Investigation, however the government refuse it.

Therefore those with common sense and ability to think will suspect where the blame lies, innocent people rarely call for UN Ind. investigations, and also guilty people nearly always try to prevent Independent inquiries.

We will likely never know.

The Red shirts and PTP have called for a UN Independent Investigation, however the government refuse it.

Therefore those with common sense and ability to think will suspect where the blame lies, innocent people rarely call for UN Ind. investigations, and also guilty people nearly always try to prevent Independent inquiries.

Levelhead has still not become levelheaded I see. God knows where you get your twisted ideas from. Presumably you'd love Hitler if he was still around?

That what you believe. Beliefs are not knowledge and also not something like facts, proof or evidence.

- Hundreds of protesters yesterday blocked Phaholyothin road in Pathum Thani to prevent police from the North and Northeastern provinces reinforcing in the capital for a possible crackdown on protesters. Some 50 police vehicles with 500 police officers were stopped. The blockade also caused traffic congestion in Prathum Thani's Rangsit area which is the main route from northern regions to Bangkok.

Then from the news thread:

Meanwhile, the 11 redshirt protesters arrested for setting up a roadblock on Phaholyothin inbound lanes on Monday in Pathum Thani province were each given a 15day jail sentence before being released on a bail guarantee of Bt50,000 each.

The 11 men were charged with gathering with the intent of inciting unrest and blocking public ways without permission. The court handed them immediate imprisonment, but they appealed and were finally had their request for release granted.

Pheu Thai MP Sumet Ritthakhanee paid up the bail guarantee totalling Bt550,000 out of his own pocket.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3546332

The face of a criminal enabler.

From his Parliament web page:

413.jpg

Acting Second Lieutenant Pheu Thai Party MP Sumet Ritthakhanee

(not sure what his title actully means, but such as it is)

Jingoist claptrap!

The Americans led the coalition of the First Gulf War which liberated Kuwait from Saddam's Iraqis. Americans led the way to free Kosovo from the murdering Serbians. Yes, sometimes strong force is needed to get the bads guys out. In both those scenarios, talk talk talk didn't get the job done.

The current mess in Bkk is obviously different than Kuwait or Kosovo, but there are similarities. And Thai security forces need to find resolve, discipline and a wise strategy to try and fix Bangkok's problems, which are also affecting all of Thailand.

Wimping out and fear of any injury is not going to fix it. The Reds have taken advantage of PM's and Army's weaknesses. Though the Reds are not winning the war (the overall praise of the Thai people), the Reds are winning the battles (strategic maneuverings).

:)

Hello Farang USA,

This is Thailand, not the USA.

Tell your stories how you successful bombed other countries somewhere else.