Civil War - Time To Leave?

jdwphuket

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket is not much of an Island, I think it must be at least a couple of hundred meters from the mainland , as for the Airport , where can you go , I would not say International , you have to go to Bangkok first , unless thing have changed. Begs to wonder how the Bart is still strong with Civil war on the Horizon and a military government in waiting.

update on facts

Phuket is an island connected to the mainland with bridge

International direct flights to other Asian countries and European countries

I'm not so sure a bomb couldn't go off in Phuket. In the event of some sort of insurgency, the red shirts might try and bomb a major tourist area like Bangla to kill the tourism industry and starve this staunchly Democrat region of income. Is that really so far fetched?

Yes, that is really, really far fetched....

REALY,REALY,REALY,REALY,REALY FAR FETCHED

The UK Foreign Office is now advising against travel to Thailand (before, it was just to Bangkok). Personally, I'm just booking my flights now.

The UK is a more dangerous place than Thailand, but I don't see an exodus.

It seems to me that all along the game plan of the Reds was to incite civil war. However, I am not making any plans to leave Phuket. My immediate worry is getting my kids back from holiday in Petchaboon as they will have to pass through the Don Muang area.

I can count the amount of friends who have left Thailand because of possible civil war by joining the tip of my index finger with my thumbs. That makes big zero.

Unrest in Bangkok has got nothing to do with Phuket and family safety there. The OP is actually in Phuket? If so, he can't be serious!

Unrest in Bangkok has got nothing to do with Phuket and family safety there.

Possibly it has something to do with financial security, also mentioned by the OP. So I don't agree with you and don't think the question is strange or stupid.

Not considering leaving due to personal safety as I believe Phuket will not be affected that dramatically; what may make me consider my options is the effect on tourism. Having a family and a mortgage here means I may well have to take a job overseas simply to pay the bills if this does escalate. However that is a long way down the road and if there is one thing about Phuket it has a history of bouncing back quickly.

The only major event I've ever been aware of in Phuket was the tsunami. Riots, coups, mobs, politics etc etc, never seem to reach this far (there was a little scuffle at the airport a while back, but that's it) I don't think events in BKK will amount to much and certainly not to any level that the scare mongers would have you believe, but even if it did, down here, I think it would all pass us by :)

the yellows blocked the airport like the did in bkk!!!

Phuket remains the safest place in Thailand

There will not be an exodus of Farangs

There will not be a civil war.

Keep calm!

yeah like the guy who said "dont worry tourist are not affected by the conflict" that was after the airport closure....

it seems very likely to have conflict with violence and bombings for quite a while....60 bomb attack since march!!!

Phuket is for sure a prime destination for attacks, like silom road in bkk

yellows are strong here and its not easy for "guerilla style attacks here" but its definetly a prime target

I can count the amount of friends who have left Thailand because of possible civil war by joining the tip of my index finger with my thumbs. That makes big zero.

Unrest in Bangkok has got nothing to do with Phuket and family safety there. The OP is actually in Phuket? If so, he can't be serious!

yeah yeah sure it will not spread here and there was never a tsunami here and there will never be another one...sure...sleep well

whole of thailand is affected by the deep gap in thai society and violent acts are getting more and more common in the middle of bkk...sure relatively Phuket is one of the safest places in thailand (not considereing murder and killing through locals and for sure traffic accidents)

The only major event I've ever been aware of in Phuket was the tsunami. Riots, coups, mobs, politics etc etc, never seem to reach this far (there was a little scuffle at the airport a while back, but that's it) I don't think events in BKK will amount to much and certainly not to any level that the scare mongers would have you believe, but even if it did, down here, I think it would all pass us by :)

Its true bombings etc wouldnt reach Phuket but Phuket relies on tourism. With government warnings on Thailand very few tourists can purchase travel insurance so they will not travel here. The effect of businesses going to the wall on a monumental scale will in itselfe create problems and unrest within the community. One development in Cha am where I stay has just gone under, fully booked for most of the year down to only 3 bookings after cancellations due to the concerns of safety and unable to get insurance, this being a major concern for families.

So they know that a civil war is around the corner do they?? And when is said war due to kick off prey tell? I'll make sure I'm on a visa run that day.

What ever will be will be,PHUKET...will still be here.... and most of us...... QUAY SARA,SARA....

So they know that a civil war is around the corner do they?? And when is said war due to kick off prey tell? I'll make sure I'm on a visa run that day.

What ever will be will be,PHUKET...will still be here.... and most of us...... QUAY SARA,SARA....

Which Sara are you referring to?

barka, did you not hear the 'wooosh' as the humour flew over your head? Or were you too busy not looking for the correct spelling? :)

Anyway, I thought "sa ra" was a kind of paracetamol.