Thailand's Tourism Plunges Drastically

webfact

Tour agencies say travel packages to Thailand down by 80%

By Seet Sok Hwee | Posted: 29 April 2010 2118 hrs

SINGAPORE: The mid-year vacation term is approaching, but holidaymakers in Singapore are avoiding crisis-stricken Thailand.

Outbound tour agencies are reporting a decline of up to 80 per cent in travel sales to Thailand.

Two companies have stopped advertising for their Bangkok packages since April.

They observed that customers are diverting travel plans to neighbouring cities such as Cebu and Bali.

For now, agencies say that travel deals to Bangkok this June look set to remain unpopular.

"Interest would return once the problems are over and promotions are introduced,” said Alicia Seah, senior vice president of Marketing & public relations at CTC Holidays.

“However, I think hotel promotions at this juncture would be useless in such a situation. But traveller confidence will come back probably by August or September.”

- CNA/yb

source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1053410/1/.html

Here the articles of major news about Thailand for handy browsing http://schema-root.org/region/asia/southeast_asia/thailand/ - maybe good to look at other perspectives too.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am supprised there are so many still comming to Thailand "Rubber neckers" :)

I think we have to be quite about the fact tourist still go to south and enjoy the beaches. Because if the Red figure this out they will also try to destroy south tourism how small it is.

They just hate Thailand

B'cose they are from Isarn,in their own words Lao,they love to drink Lao Khao (moonshine).

Maybe it would be a good idea to seperate the whole Isarn and rejoin them with Laos, as it was a while ago,did you know that?Now U know!

They probably hate the French as well. Issan is a part of Laos and Thailand has never been conquered.

Nobody hates the French :)

The French are largely irrelevant aside from being some of the most annoying tourists behind the British and Israelis.

I suppose that to someone like yourself we probably are annoying. Must be horrendous to realise the difference between an inferiority complex and the reality, that its not simply a complex but that you really are inferior. :D

The French are largely irrelevant aside from being some of the most annoying tourists behind the British and Israelis.

I suppose that to someone like yourself we probably are annoying. Must be horrendous to realise the difference between an inferiority complex and the reality, that its not simply a complex but that you really are inferior. :D

Speaking of inferiority complexes..you want some cheese with that whine?

I think he was talking about the non English speaking French :D

I think we have to be quite about the fact tourist still go to south and enjoy the beaches. Because if the Red figure this out they will also try to destroy south tourism how small it is.

They just hate Thailand

B'cose they are from Isarn,in their own words Lao,they love to drink Lao Khao (moonshine).

Maybe it would be a good idea to seperate the whole Isarn and rejoin them with Laos, as it was a while ago,did you know that?Now U know!

Actually, lao koaw is moonshine as you say - (lao)whiskey + (ขาว kăao) white/or, I suppose you could say - clear - in this case

... so, Laos the country has nothing to do with the meaning of lao (pronounced more like rao) kaow ...

However, your idea of 're-joining' Isaan with Laos is not a bad idea ... lol

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies.

The spawn of Banharn is clever in seeking 1.6 billion at this time. Like a good little politician, I am sure he will profit from the situation and ensure that the money goes to the right hands/pockets.

What a joke !

Drop that 800,000 baht retirement extension requirement down around 300,000-500,000 and no doubt the influx would be noticeable probably putting 300-500,000 per fur'ner into economy instead of sitting in Thai banks, personally I'd land in Phuket for longtime-longtime stay ASAP no matter red shirt, yellow shirt whatever shirts <deleted> over? Its not any fur'ners concern nor should any fur'ner make it so, the Thais have to work it out, sadly it may take a lot more lives, many more years before something finally works out.

The *ONLY* thing I no like about Thailand is they have no lemons :) only limes :D

Please peace be sooner rather than later to the Thai people ...

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

u can get lemons everywhere!! u must not be looking in the right place!!

How amazing that a thread gets turned into attacking the people of another country on Thaivisa, But then again maybe not. When I posted a description of some posters of Thaivisa forum, a word used by the current British PM referring to a lady after speaking to her and leaving his mic on, I had a three day ban. Hmmmm

I like the French.

I like the Brits too.

In fact, I most often like most people from all over the world.

It is when we get into talking political trash that we fight.

Oh well.

Thai tourism crashing?

Of course the current wreck here is bad but the strong baht also is crushing the tourism.

Hope all turns out for the best.

They just hate Thailand

Actually, lao koaw is moonshine as you say - (lao)whiskey + (ขาว kăao) white/or, I suppose you could say - clear - in this case

... so, Laos the country has nothing to do with the meaning of lao (pronounced more like rao) kaow ...

However, your idea of 're-joining' Isaan with Laos is not a bad idea ... lol

Actually, I think you may find it translates as "rice whisky" not "white whisky" as you suggest. My keyboard does not allow me to use Thai characters, so afraid you'll have to defer to a dictionary to check. :D

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Pattaya should be safe enough, shouldnt it?

Yeah mate, Pattaya is real safe :) , if you don't get raped, beaten, robbed, mugged by ladyboys, ur hotel safe robbed, killed on a motorbike, beaten up by the baht bus driver or ur throat cut or launch yourself of a high rise hotel balcony, OR ANY COMBINATION of these, pattaya is completely safe.

It is reasonaly safe despite your comments as long as you maintain your senses.

Cheers

Nobody hates the French :D

About French, France, and tourism; did someone know the last number from the W.T.O. related of frequentation by countries?

It might make things more understandable, with regards to topics such as : hospitality, politeness, infrastructures/cost of life ratio for a tourist, scenery /cost of life ratio, weather/cost of life ratio.

I do agree, most of french people who travel exige to have what they did paid for; absolutely disgusting behavior. MAybe the reason is France is still there in every continent (I believe UK only have Gibraltar; USA having only Puerto Rico). Jealousy?

My boss just told me the thai word ofr french is similar to the thai word for 'left over'; 'left over' might be roughtly translated in french as 'what is left when all the rest is gone'. I think that is trully accurate, 2 500 years ago we were there; we did scare the 'be jesus' to the whole europe from that time (Brennus and Vae Victis) up to 1870. Since I do agree we went weak and smooth; but we do have some memory of a past that is not that long.

:):D

What gives people the right to judge an entire nation? Seems like some folks never learn their lessons> Hmmm, I forgot, World Cup 2010 is approaching> That would be a perfect playground for all this nationalistic hype.

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Yeah mate, Pattaya is real safe :) , if you don't get raped, beaten, robbed, mugged by ladyboys, ur hotel safe robbed, killed on a motorbike, beaten up by the baht bus driver or ur throat cut or launch yourself of a high rise hotel balcony, OR ANY COMBINATION of these, pattaya is completely safe.

Cheers

Well, I'm in Pattaya and none of the above from neverdie seem more likely here than they would have been in London, with the exception of the motorbike comment. I was nearly run down by some farang hoon on an overpowered m'bike. Why do morons think it's OK to come here and drive through crowded sois at 100 kph? ( yes, we all know why, really ).

To reply to the OP, it doesn't feel like Pattaya has suffered much. I reckon there's just as many tourists as normal for this time of year, with the exception of the Chinese package tour hordes. Mind you thet's great for most of us, as not so many of those tour buses thundering along Beach Rd.

Hey Guys! i Was just wonder if it will be save in december? i want to go to phuket for my honeymoon.

Guess that will be largely determined by the relationship you will be having with your new bride at the time.

The UK Governments (or what's left of it) FCO have today reduced their travel advisory warning to;

We advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok, in view of the continued political unrest in the city.

You should exercise caution, especially in the northern provinces and Pattaya. The political situation is unpredictable and throughout Thailand there is a continued risk that protests may result in violent disturbances. Travellers are advised to avoid political demonstrations and large gatherings.

Would disagree about that, as an example I had a very nice Sunday Lunch yesterday. The restaurant had a nice pleasant atmosphere to it until some Septic came in and sat down with the most annoying accent and attitude one could ever possibly imagine he was demanding roast Lamb at the top of his voice. The poor waitress didn't know what to do about this pig headed moron shouting the odds, I was very very close to walking over and tipping a glass of water over his annoying head to shut him up but why should I let some fat idiot spoil my afternoon out.

" Septic" Great, another TD reject over here spreading hate and bigotry.

Cheers

Well, I'm in Pattaya and none of the above from neverdie seem more likely here than they would have been in London, with the exception of the motorbike comment. I was nearly run down by some farang hoon on an overpowered m'bike. Why do morons think it's OK to come here and drive through crowded sois at 100 kph? ( yes, we all know why, really ).

To reply to the OP, it doesn't feel like Pattaya has suffered much. I reckon there's just as many tourists as normal for this time of year, with the exception of the Chinese package tour hordes. Mind you thet's great for most of us, as not so many of those tour buses thundering along Beach Rd.

Are you serious ,ive just come back this morning from patts,talked the bar owners ,girls and all agree that its been the worst for tourist for a long time.Ive been coming for the last 6 years and never seen it so quiet.SOI 7/8 DEAD,SOI2/3 DEAD,SOI DIANA DEAD,WALKING STREET NOT MANY PEOPLE.So really i dont no where you are coming from.THE only bars that are doing ok are the more popular ones.IM NOT JUST MAKING THIS UP ITS FROM THE PEOPLE WHO I HAVE TALK TO ,YOU ONLY HAVE TO LOOK.This time of year ive seen 2 or 3 times more people.

I dont post very often but always read forum,I think you had too many singha mate and seeing double or even triple people that werent there :D .

Never saw any trouble at all from the reds,had a brill time.So i would say its safe to go,well as safe as patts is :D