Cost Of Visa On Arrival

From the Royal Thai Embassy website (Washington DC, USA):

Nationals of the United States of America and 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand , for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa. However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

------------------------------------------------------

My question: My nephew (American, 23 years old) is flying into Swampy from Tokyo late on May 6. According to the above he DOES NOT need a visa. He will be staying for less than 2 weeks. Will he be required to pay a tourist visa fee or whatever fee at the airport? If so, how much?

Thank you. LDB

I came in last Thursday from Singapore, and they actually denied entry to the Indians in line in front of me. I took about 20 minutes, but they were not allowed to proceed through Immigration. I don't know what you do then, call the airline for help I guess. I only mention this because he should be sure to have money and the return ticket to show them. I've never seen anyone denied entry before, but I'm not sure why it was done, but they be enforcing more strictly now.

Indians require a visa on arrival and for that they check if you have a ticket out of the country within 30 days. A US citizen gets a visa exempt entry and will as a rule not be checked by immigration, but the airline might refuse to board him as immigration leafs it up to the airlines to check the ticket requirement. Only when they have reason to be suspicious will immigration check the ticket for a person who qualifies for a visa exepmt entry.

okay, thanks for the replies so far.

So, my nephew should go to the VOA desk? He has a passport and plane ticket to USA.

Does he need anything else; like his photo to attach to a form or........?

Sorry for the questions but I've always had a non-imm. 'O' visa and I don't know squat about the tourist visa rules.

So, my nephew should go to the VOA desk? He has a passport and plane ticket to USA.

Does he need anything else; like his photo to attach to a form or........?

No.

He just goes through the normal Immigration channel the same as everyone else.

He will be given 30 days.