Thai Number Plates

Donshe

Hey guys,

Im from Australia and looking to make up some dummy Thai number plates for my car as Im doing it in a bit of a Thai theme.

I had a look on Wikipedia and the net in general but couldn't find what I was after so if someone could help me out that'd be great.

- What is the approximate size of a car plate

- These are black text on white?

- I understand they are 2 Thai characters and then numerals. The numerals will be my car model, but what would be two Thai characters that would be nice to use? Doesn't have to be like a real genuine plate, but any suggestions are welcome.

- I understand that at the bottom of the plate is the province name? Wikipedia gave me this, just want to confirm its correct and says the right thing. ภูเก็ต

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are wrong and thanks in advance for any help on what must surely be a weird request :)

- What is the approximate size of a car plate

Don't have a tape measure handy.

- These are black text on white?

For passenger cars, yes. For light commercial it's green text on white. There are numerous special edition plates with colourful backgrounds too.

- I understand they are 2 Thai characters and then numerals. The numerals will be my car model, but what would be two Thai characters that would be nice to use? Doesn't have to be like a real genuine plate, but any suggestions are welcome.

1 or 2 Thai characters followed by 1 to 4 numerals. 1st character varies province by province. If you want it to look genuine, you'd want to get some examples of the characters used in Phuket I guess - can't help with that.

- I understand that at the bottom of the plate is the province name? Wikipedia gave me this, just want to confirm its correct and says the right thing. ภูเก็ต

That would be correct, so long as you want it to read Phuket :)

Thanks for the reply !

Yes I am looking to make it look like a Phuket plate. Id get measurements myself but won't be back there till later this year.

With the two characters, Im not fussed if they aren't genuine looking in terms of being from a province. I have plates I can copy from my photos of bikes I've rented and stuff. But if someone can suggest something that says something nice in Thai (within 2 characters) that'd be great !

Also....and heres the part I feel weird about asking...could someone who owns a registered car there maybe take a measurement if they get the chance :)

Thanks again

Here's some acromyms that are popular with the locals and can fetch pretty good prices in Thailand (esp. in conjuction with 9's as the digits):

กห (Gow Nah) = Moving Forward (literally GH - หน้า starts with an H)

กร (Gor Ror) = Successful

And a couple of literal suggestions off the top of my head..

รถ (Rot) = Car

ไว (Wai) = Fast

Perhaps some others can tip in their ideas too :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thats great ! Thanks heaps.

Id love to hear other ideas too, but in the meantime, could anyone translate LOW-EE (2 phonetics should be 2 characters maybe?)

Heres a pic or two of the car if it helps anyone give any more ideas.

25791_423797972316_542217316_5791284_5302672_n.jpg

25791_423797967316_542217316_5791283_921470_n.jpg

You can see the first hints of Thai stickers on the front and rear windows :)

Couple more to come, will be nice to have some dummy plates on it !

Thanks again :D

รถต่ำ (rot dum), ต่ำๆ (dum dum) or รถเตี้ย (rot dia) is how you'd actually refer to a lowered car, but ต่ำ on it's own doesn't have quite the right meaning, and it also contains vowels that'd break the 2-character limit..

Actually, ลด on it's own (suggested above) is similar - on it's own it may just be confusing for a Thai.

While Thai's are not big into acronyms, รต might be the best compromise - it could be taken as either รถต่ำ (rot dum = lowered car) or รถเตี้ย (rot dia = low car) - the latter of the two suggesting it's really low..

Note that Thai number plates cannot contain vowels, so a literal translation of "low ee" won't work..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thai's want the numbers to be 9999, "best" numbers

I saw a knackered old Honda Tena the other day with my 2 initials in Thai and the number 1.

Had to smile cos back in the UK that number's most probably sitting on a Bentley or Ferrari.

• 3 weeks later...