Crane Near Nana Station Snapped And Collapse...

Steele404

Not much detail at the moment, but I heard a loud noise this morning roughly at 11 am local (friday) April 30th of 2010.

The crane is in range of the BTS sukhumvit line, do you think the BTS will stop service at this point?

From the looks of it, the crane is barely leaning onto the adjacent building and could crash down in a chain reaction.

post-62372-1272604954_thumb.jpg post-62372-1272605109_thumb.jpg

What an accident and not a typical crane accident. It appears something either hit the crane or the crane traversed into something. The boom is what was bent to the rear of the crane on the side of the counter weights causing it to collapse, becoming over loaded. Tower cranes do not have have large lifting capacities.

Looks like the operator was lucky. Good luck to the people below.

If this thing doesn't fall down how will they get it removed ? Install a much larger crane to hold it in position whilst it's dismantled ?

Reminds me of this, car in water, crane in water, second crane in water....third crane lucky.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYcFy4Mc7n8

If this thing doesn't fall down how will they get it removed ? Install a much larger crane to hold it in position whilst it's dismantled ?

Reminds me of this, car in water, crane in water, second crane in water....third crane lucky.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYcFy4Mc7n8

I would call a helicopter, but i am not Thai

There's a blurry news video of the damaged crane here. Apparently the accident happened while the crane was lifting some material and the wire sling broke. They were building a 7-story office block.

No one was reported hurt but the Miami hotel had to be evacuated as the crane came to rest on its roof and the skytrain shut down for a short period.

The owner of the Miami hotel said in March he'd warned the foreman to check the crane after hearing strange noises coming from it.

they will probably use a mobile crane to dismantle it, same way they build these cranes

they will probably use a mobile crane to dismantle it, same way they build these cranes

Wow, I was just talking to my Father about that since he is the only person I know that would pay attention. I was actually talking specifically about the Crane's they have on the canal where the water taxi goes. The have these big, huge, Cranes supported by just 4 steel columns. I just cringe every time I pass by waiting for them to topple over into the boat. Only in Asia I guess!!

It was still just sitting on top of the Miami Hotel as of 6PM tonight. I was told by several different sources that there were no injuries. Soi 13 is closed to vehicle traffic and pedestrian traffic with warning tape stretched across the soi. People were still walking under the crane and around the tapes. Sky train is operating normally.

Aaaaah Now I understand why there were delays on the BTS this morning. I travelled from Thong Lor to Asoke and at Thong Lor was greeted by the speakers saying something about sorry for the inconvenience and that normal services would be resumed within 5 minutes.

I got off at Asoke and saw the troops moving away from the stairs and escalators. My immediate thoughts were that there had been some kind of interference from red shirts or others.

Now I realise it must have been this episode.

I'm being told that the crane impacted on to the Miami Hotel
Is that different from "fell" on the Miami Hotel? :)
Yes, that's why I chose the term. I was told at the time that the crane was under load and that a failure caused the jib to be powered into the roof leading to the central tower to buckle [presumably over weight].

However, speaking with another individual later this evening they felt that from the damage they could see it was more likely to have fallen. Given elsewhere herein that no injuries are being reported contrary to what I was told initially, then a fall seems more probable, but, again, this second dataset is not from an individual working at the location.

Regards

Am very familiar with this place. This new building is located beside what used to be Phathra Thanakij where there was a Thai Farmers Bank branch. The Ambassador Hotel is down to the left side of this site. Many streetside vendors here. Hope none of them got injured.

Miami is a bad hotel, so maybe this was a sign? :)

Anyways hope those that are injured recover quickly. :D

I believe in signs.

I am preparing to go home for awhile. Nothing really to do with the political situation. It's just that time. Spring. I was going to spend a couple days in Bangkok before I leave. This would involve taking a taxi on Sunday to the Soi 11 area, and staying where I always stay. Then taking a taxi to the airport a couple days later. The alternative is to stay where I am, Hua Hin, and just play some golf before I take a taxi from here to the airport. I'm leaning in this direction, but would still like to spend a couple nights in Bangkok. Any suggestions would be welcome. What with the crane falling, and reading about roadblocks, I'm getting, how you say, paranoid. Sorry to turn this discussion personal, honest.

I can't find an icon that reflects <deleted>.

post-44726-1273045576_thumb.jpg