Red Shirt Activity In The City

JuniorExPat

The red shirts of Warorot Hotel have set themselves up at the intersection one block further into the old city than their previous barriers of tyres.

There don't appear to be huge numbers but the radio/loudspeaker is blaring away, the speaker has just announced that the police and the army are on the way to try to break them up and I'm told that earlier today on the red shirt radio station they were broadcasting that police were on the way from Lampang to assist the red shirts(??).

I'm using a friend's office by Wat Pra Singh and today I have seen the most red shirt activity of recent weeks but hardly constituting a mass demonstration. The cafe next door has closed up, the owner saying "No customers today for sure!"

On the other hand, traffic is still flowing past the temple, the fruit seller is still set up by the temple entrance and the people traffic looks normal for a Saturday lunchtime.

If I see any uniforms turn up then I may take that as a cue to head home but for now it's enough to close the doors to shut out the cackle of the loudspeakers.

Just a heads up for those who may be planning to take a turn around the city today.

JxP

There was a large number of police, gathered at the Lamphun police station at noon today.  All smartly dressed, with black baseball style hats on.  They were just hanging around, waiting.  Probably nothing to do with the red shirts, but did look odd to see so many. 

Like you already mentioned, there is no sustained event or protest that goes on there. Often there are gatherings, but afterwards everyone goes home. So there's not much to break up, other than to remove those unsightly tires.

Thanks for the warning though, it doesn't hurt to take a different route into the old town just in case. My daughter has a dance class near there.

Driving at Wat PraSing this evening (Saturday), we noticed a lot of Reds at the Warorot hotel.

Many many more than normal. Let's say around 1.000.

Also the terras of the Montri hotel at Thapae was heavily packed with Reds waiving their red Thaksin flags.

Someone knows more?

Would explain why i saw the neighbour and family all clad in red today...

they will be back later tonight... they have to sell at the sunday market tomorrow...

I haven't asked what the pile of car tires that have accumulated on the community playing field is for... they were there.. now they are gone..

I drove past at around 4pm yesterday. The road that runs from the moat past the worowot hotel and the side wall of the Wat Pra Sing temple was open but closed in the opposite direction. I saw thugs patrolling the area with large solid pieces of wood. They reminded me of drunk Englishmen walking to the kebab shop after a drunken Saturday night: nothing of value going on behind their eyes but instincts to be violent for no reason.

Edited by Loaded

Loaded:

One thanks the fates that those were not drunk Englishmen coming away from football and an important loss. Your good health could have been in jeopardy and the shape of your vehicle re-arranged, perhaps

But unless my memory fails (probable) that is the Wororot Grand Palace Hotel?? Of course the Wat locates the activity for me.

Being out of the city just now, I have missed its regular supply this time of year of odiferous smoke, generous warmth, free street showers, and now perhaps spontaneous (planned) parades!

Actually, grateful for the reports.

I think that many Thais wear red on Sunday and it has nothing to do with politics. :)

Sunday = Red, Monday = Yellow, Tuesday = Pink, Wednesday = Green, Thursday = Orange, Friday = Blue, Saturday = Purple :D

I think that many Thais wear red on Sunday and it has nothing to do with politics. :)

Me thinks if any action it will happen at Sunday Night Market Street.

Its not looking good after the PM announcement on clearing the hospital in BK. Spill over may effect CM.

A PM announcement in Thailand warning police or military intervention carries about the same weight as Lala from teletubbies telling Po not to eat too much teletubbies toast.

Edited by Loaded

Its not looking good after the PM announcement on clearing the hospital in BK. Spill over may effect CM.

A PM announcement in Thailand warning police or military intervention carries about the same weight as Lala from teletubbies telling Po not to eat too much teletubbies toast.

Only if he can lite a fire under someones arse and that is unlikely.

You seem to have a disturbingly encyclopedic knowledge of the Teletubies. Welcome to the club!

You seem to have a disturbingly encyclopedic knowledge of the Teletubies. Welcome to the club!

It's not compulsory for TV members is it? :)

Only the ones with young children. It's the only thing that will keep junior stationary for more than 10 seconds.

I didnt know that... but I do know they really are 'redshirts' even though they masquerade as mild mannered sticky rice with mango sellers on sunday at the walking street :D

Edited by whiterussian

but WR saw them on saturday :D

I see Abhisit told foreign press that there will be a road plan to reconciliation announced this week. It will include an even earlier dissolution of parliament and working groups involving members of civic groups in order to write a constitution agreeable to all. This sounds good - movement at last. I believe Abhisit is sincere and this conflict has shown he also has the strength to fight despite working with an inept and corrupt 'red' police force and a cowardly supreme military commander.

• 2 weeks later...